2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Booking.com Hotels.com CheapTickets.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 40% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about Hotel Shelley

Hotel Shelley did not quite meet our expectations

by TripAdvisor Member ToKatya

We stayed at Hotel Shelley for almost a week in February 2004. Although the hotel's staff was somewhat friendly, our room was quite not up to par. It was extremely small and crowded with the few furniture items available. The room was designed poorly with two different-style lamps on each side of the bed. The bathroom was really small also and the hot water took forever to start. One night we had a short electrical outage and every time we would use our hairdryer, the lights in the room would begin flickering. We addressed this with the staff and they explained the reason was the old structure and weak electrical wiring of the building. The hotel's location is great, and yet the quality of the rooms, service, etc are only just about average.

The Hotel Shelly!

by Hexepatty

When I saw this hotel, I thought of my friend, Shelly! I figure one day I will show her this! She will get a kick out of it. I love the Deco style hotels and the colors as well. You can't walk but one or two buildings before you will see a Classic, Stand Out Building... Certaily, the Hotel Shelley is one!

Shelley, The true experience of SOBE

I was in Miami on Business and wanted to experience the true flavor of South Beach. Hotel Shelley was exactly what I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, Hotel Shelley is probably not the type of Hotel to visit if you're on your Honeymoon. I'd recommend this to the crowd that wants a fun atmosphere and wants something very close to all the action. This Hotel is not about glamour and attentive staffing. It was the crowd it brought in. Everyone, including the staff, was extremely friendly and the rooms are perfect for those who don't want to spend all day in them. If you're in SOBE, why in the world would you want to stay in your room anyway?? I'm returning to SOBE at the end of the month on another Business trip... and yes, I've already placed my second reservation at the Hotel Shelley.

Cool spot........

Checked in the Hotel Shelley to kick it for my birthday in Miami and had a wonderful time. Catalina, at the front desk was not only beautiful but helpful as well. She even allowed for an earlier check-in so that was a good thing as well. The only thing that I didn't like was the $100 deposit they charge you for the key so BE ready to pay that in cash or have it charged to your card. But other than that everything was cool. The bathrooms were larger than expected and the bed was quite comfortable for the price. I mean who really STAYS in their room in SOBE until its "time" to be in there anyway....know what I mean! SO if you're headin down its cool to stay here, just be ready for the $5 a day resort fee and the $100 deposit (that you will get back upon check-out) and you'll be fine. You honestly couldn't ask for a BETTER location club AND shopwise.

There was a roach in the room and that was not the only problem!!

by TripAdvisor Member Calabrisella5

Our nightmare began at the airport when we waited around for 1 hour for the shuttle, we then decided to call the hotel and we were told that it was out of order. That wasn't so bad, we took a cab to the hotel, however they told us they wouldn't reimburse us for the taxi fee. Once we got to the hotel it seemed fine. The problems began the night we arrived, it started with a leaky toilet, our bathroom floor was constantly wet and the bathroom light flickered on and off. We realized that we had only been given two bath towels, and we had four girls in the room. As I was on the phone with the person at the front desk who was refusing to give us extra towels, I saw a roach climbing up the nightstand near the beds. When I told him, his question was "Well is it big?", IT WAS A ROACH!!! Does the size really matter. We complained to switch rooms and they said that we would be able to the following morning. Once we switched, the problems continued, our toilet overflowed every time it was used and when we called one night they did not come to fix it until the next morning. On the last night the power went out for over an hour, as one of my friends was in the shower. The other patrons in the hotel were extremely loud at all hours and one morning we awoke to find that someone had punched a hole in the wall outside of our room. Someone had also ripped the sink out of the wall in the public bathroom near the lobby. The workers at the hotel were very unaccommodating and offered to deduct a very little amount of money. The only good thing about this hotel was its perfect location!!!!

Like a CHEAP MOTEL

This place reminded me of an unkept, run down roach motel. The faucet handles are falling apart and ocasionally needed some coaxing to turn on. Not only did the water go down the drain, but part of it would drip down the back of the pedestal sink, soaking the floor, which we had to clean. The toilet paper holder was on the verge of unattaching itself from the wall. The water pressure was horrible!! Don't expect a steady stream, its feels more like sprouting water, so allow yourself extra time to shower. The bedsheets were stained. Complimentary drinks with absolute (B.S.) vodka was watered down. They also charged a "resort fee" of $5 per person for the FREE airport shuttle. Where was the resort??? REVIEW THE BILL, we were charged for a phone call that was made before we even arrived! Price charged does not match the service provided, DON'T BE FOOLED!

Think again.. Dont stay here

This hotel was not worth staying at. When we first arrived, we were assigned to the 2nd floor. No elevators so we had to carry our luggage up the stairs. The hallways were very dark and barely any lighting. There was a cleaning lady in the hallway and I had to walk slow because I could barely make out where she was and didnt want to fall down. When we got to the room, it was very small, and one desk lamp for a light. I dont know how you were suppose to see at night time. The bathroom was dirty, and the shower was just a stall , getting the floor all wet. The water pressure sucked too. So when we unpacked and were about to leave our room when a roach went running across the hallway. I went right back in the room packed up and left. NO WAY I was staying there. The guy at the desk downstairs was very rude, and giving us a hard time when we were trying to check the hell out of there. I ended up paying for one night, even though we didnt stay there, but I didnt care. I wasnt sleeping in that place. We went a few blocks up and stayed at the South Seas Hotel. Very nice place. Stay there Instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not this year

I went to miami on my usual yearly vacation each year I stay somewhere different and the Shelley is somewhere I will not ever stay again. The staff is unfriendly as a matter of fact they got my car towed instead of telling me to move it. The rooms are clean but not great. The happy hour is the best thing and the location. NOOOOOOOOOOOO elevator and I was on the 3rd floor with 2 big suitcases.........never again don't I repeat don't do it to yourself...

Less than one star hotel

After more than fifteen hours drive, we finally arrived at the hotel to be rudely told that they could not find our reservation. We waited more than three hours in the lobby with two very exhausted kids and all our luggage unloaded until they recognized their mistake and let us check in. The room was OK, the bathroom awful. The only good thing about this hotel is its closeness to the beach. The girl at the front desk was very impolite and obnoxious. First and last time we stay in that hotel.

Great deal in South Beach

by TripAdvisor Member ldonn

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Shelly June 23-27, 2004. We had an absolutely fantastic time! I was nervous after reading some of the bad reviews, but decided to give it a try. I am so glad that I did. The service was great! We had a fuse blow in our room and called the desk, it was fixed in a few minutes. The people couldn't have been nicer to us. Free drinks at the bar each night, but take my advice and order the Pina Colada from the bartender..it was to die for and only $6 which you can't beat in Sobe. This place definitely was a gem. I liked it so much that I'm bringing my husband with me in September. Do yourself a favor and stay here if you like being close to everything and enjoy Sobe. I think that if you treat the people that work here like you want to be treated, you will love it. People with issues should stay home!

The cast-iron entranceThe cast-iron entrance

South Florida Arts CenterSouth Florida Arts Center

South BeachSouth Beach

The ClevelanderThe Clevelander

Miami Beach/SoBe/Key West 18+ ?

by rina900

Hi,
I plan on coming down to MB and Key West in March 07 for Spring Break... my younger brother is under 21, I'm wondering if there are good places that he'll be able to get into?

Thanks!

RE: RE: Miami Beach/SoBe/Key West 18+ ?

by rina900

which clubs, do you know?

RE: Miami Beach/SoBe/Key West 18+ ?

by Jane1234

There are thousands of good places to party on Miami Beach and many nightclubs allow 18+ to party and 21+ to drink... Man, South Beach is the place to be on Spring Break. My suggest is to ckeck out local websites to be informed on Spring Break events, I usually read Sobereal.com just because they post only South Beach and Downtown Miami parties and events.

RE: Miami Beach/SoBe/Key West 18+ ?

by AlbertJusto

There are a lot of places that have all ages nights and are strongly promoted by Power 96 (local pop station) I think the best advice is to contact the radio station (I think the # is 305-550-9696) and ask them for a list of the local night clubs 18+. They should be able to help...

Comments