Hotel St Augustine

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 15% higher than other 3.5 star hotels

• enofile's Profile Photo

They try real hard!

I won an auction on a site with the name Luxury Link for a 4 night stay at this hotel. Unfortunately, the St. Augustine was a far cry from luxury. The hotel extols the virtue of its cutting edge design. Basically, the design consists of a rather cheap platform bed with a tiny entertainment center with an inexpensive T.V., portable CD player, and a VCR in the middle of the room. The bed spread had a cigarette burn and the there was hardly any storage space. The toilet was in a closet that if you suffer from claustraphobia will cause you to scream out loud. There were no pictures on the wall and the room was devoid of any color. The best thing was the large shower that had several sprays reaching the unknown parts of your body. However, the shower had frosted glass windows that kept the room lit up all night since a security lamp shown right into the windows. Sleep was not easy, and I would have confessed to any crime. Breakfast was simply ludicrous consisting of stale coffee and vanilla yogurt. The hotel itself is on a very non-descript part of Washington with not much around it. It was quiet which turned out to be an advantage.

Unique Quality: The people were very nice who ran the hotel and if you can get a cheap price for the room, it might very well be worth it.

Directions: SOFI (South of Fifth)

More about Hotel St Augustine

boutique hotels with charm and customer service

by TripAdvisor Member littledragoon

I travel worldwide for work, frequently in Miami Beach.
When booking hotels I look for boutique hotels, with a staff that will accomodate their guests requests, convenient to the beach but not in the middle of the "hussle and bussle ", and close to the trendy restaurants.
My first visit to the Hotel St. Augustine back in 2001, was an amazing experience.
And everytime I return for business, the St. Augustine Hotel is always my first choice to stay.
Things have changed on South Beach with the remodeled hotels. They lack the charm, and friendly hotel staff that made South Beach popular.
The Management and Staff at the Hotel St. Augustine has not forgotten what makes it so special.... its guests.

Every the loveable chocolate lab that lounges in the lobby remembers returning guests with a big smile.

Miami Beach Tip

by Michael_D

KEY WEST, ORLANDO , MT DORA , TAMPA , EUSTIS , ST AUGUSTINE , MIAMI , ST PETE , TALLAHASSEE , DAYTONA , WINTER PARK , PENSACOLA , GAINSVILLE , OCALA , COCOA BEACH , FT LAUDERDALE , PALM BEACH , SARASOTA , FT MYERS , EVERGLADES

Lovely place

by TripAdvisor Member Lastlemming

Quiet--not on the beach but you can get a day pass with a beach hotel just a few blocks away. Staff great, friendly, with a bonus friendly dog. Tiny bar is a social club for regulars. Obviously not for everyone but the neighborhood is quiet, the rooms ditto and the pastries in the morning are the real McCoy.

Nice hotel, near the heart of SoBe

by TripAdvisor Member der_badener

The hotel is located very well in SoBe. It's only a few steps away from the Art Deco District. There is a bus stop near the hotel and the parking lot isn't expensive. We loved the steam bath and the quiet and clean room. The staff is very helpful and polite (can't imagine why other people had problems). I would definitly stay again at this place.

Pretty good overall

by TripAdvisor Member spark06

We stayed here earlier this year (in February) so this review is a little overdue.

Some of the other reviewers are spot on.

The steam showers are the best feature. The shower is very spacious. The shower door is see-through glass and there's no door to the shower though. So beware if you're traveling with a friend.

The free passes to the Nikki Beach Club were great too. We had to ask for them though. If we hadn't read about this feature in another review on this site, we wouldn't have known about it.

Yes, the other reviewers are right about the sour manager. But he was polite and answered our questions. There was a young woman who staffed the front desk when the manager wasn't there and she was really helpful. She printed out mapquest directions for us to a restaurant we were trying to figure out how to get to.

Clean, safe, and overall great experience.

I love this hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member ChrisAA

I have just come back from the St. Augustine and I´m already looking forward to my next stay there!
I stayed at the St. Augustine with my husband Alex for 10 days and it was a magnificent experience. The rooms are spotless, modern and chic and the steam bath and shower are superb.
The staff was really nice to us and helped us in every way. Thanks to their advice we visited some really nice restaurants in SoBe.
Complimentary breakfast includes delicious freshly brewed coffee, tea, juice, yoghurt, cereals and pastries. Newspapers and international magazines can also be enjoyed during breakfast.
We had a wonderful stay at the hotel, and we will undoubtly go back there in our next trip to Miami Beach.

Saints of St. Augustine

by TripAdvisor Member sallysueSanAntonio

This boutique hotel was absolutely wonderful. Perfectly located, near the beach and fantastic restaurants. We took our 9 month old and he had a superb time also. The staff is super friendly, knowledgeble and good senses of humor. You will be greeted by a sweet chocolate lab named Bailey who hangs out in the lobby. Great showers and good nights sleep. We'll go back for sure! Oh, good bar too. Intimate, yet contemporary surroundings.

There's no door to the bathroom!

by TripAdvisor Member 20schick

You have to get undressed in the main room, then step into the shower with a glass door. Who thought up this ridiculous idea? If you're traveling with someone that you need privacy from when getting undressed, this is not the hotel for you. They could easily have a curtain go across the area to provide some privacy or at least have a frosted glass shower door!

The toilet is in a separate room, however the light switch is combined with the vent fan which is so LOUD!!! This is not your typical fan we're talking about, it was so loud I got a headache and just couldn't even sit and relax. I know this may sound small or silly to you, but when you use that bathroom you're going to wish you were in another hotel.

The front desk does not mention anything about the free passes to Nikki Beach or the complimentary breakfast. The front desk clerk who brought the pastries straight from his car (without washing his hands) touches each and every single one of them as he places it on a plate. No thank you.

I didn't feel comfortable with the lack of security at the hotel. The person at the front desk stays in a hidden office and only comes out when you call them. There's no bell when you enter the hotel and no security cameras.

While I had no problems with the man at the front desk, I understand where the other reviewers are coming from. He's not the friendliest guy in the world. You expect hotel reception to smile and greet you warmly.

I paid $270 a night for this hotel which I think is $200 too much. Oh and I think the upholstered headboards are never washed.

will go back

by TripAdvisor Member ohiopostman

Was a nice place to stay and would go back. a very nice location, close to the beach and countless other activitys. My wife and i stayed there the night before our cruise and the hotel made all the arrangements to have us taken to the port. Its not luxery but it is small ,quaint, and very clean. And its fully stocked bar will get you through the night.

Hotel St. Augustine

by enofile

I will be in Miami Beach for 4 days Valentine's Day week-end. I have reservations at a Hotel St. Augustine. Does anyone out there know anything about this place? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Hotel St. Augustine

by RichBeau

The Hotel St Augustine is at 347 Washington Ave which is in SoFi (South Of Fifth). Also you are three blocks, albeit short ones, from the beach. Word is; this is a pretty nice Art Deco hotel. The hotel, constructed in 1937, is a hidden Art Deco gem by Nadel & Nordin. SoFi is south of the heart of the district though easily walkable. It is a hot new district and there are some great new clubs and restaurants to try in this area.

Remember there are always a couple of caveats with many South Beach Art Deco hotels. First most rooms are relatively small as compared to a Best Western out on the Interstate. Secondly there's usually no onsite parking and it costs extra to park your car. In the case of the Hotel St Augustine the parking lot is small and contains a small army of feral cats.

--Rich Beaubien