Jefferson House

1018 Jefferson Ave, Miami Beach, Florida, 33139, United States
Sobe You Tropical Bed & Breakfast Inn
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Jefferson House

SoBeYou not so gay anymore

by TripAdvisor Member jpsam

Under its previous ownership, this bed and breakfast was a well recognized and well reviewed gay destination. That has changed under new ownership, which is fine; but new owner is not exactly forthright about the fact the her clientele is now primarily heterosexual. As a single gay traveler, I look forward to staying at gay venues, and made this very clear to the owner of SoBeYou. She assured me that it was still a gay B&B. On my arrival, I discovered that this is not so. I was most annoyed that she misrepresented the nature of her clientele. I'd have happily locate a gay establishment, which is what I told her I was looking for. So, gay travellers, beware if you are seeking a gay bed and breakfast, as you will not find it here.

Also, the "gourmet" breakfast is anything but gourmet. It was a serious disappointment to several of the guests present for my stay.

Pleasant stay at the SOBEYOU

by TripAdvisor Member tarawa88

My wife and I stayed at the SBU post-spring break and found it to be a very pleasant spot to enjoy SB. We are very familiar with the neighborhood/SB and I can attest that the staff, rooms, breakfast and location offer good value. Staff and owners were pleasant (challenge anyone else to find that in greater Miami) and the room, although a bit small, was appropriate for a short term stay. The breakfast was good, the pool area very relaxing and the overall feel is low-key and quiet. Would recommend anyone not expecting a pulsating, "too hip it hurts" experience.

Delightful and Charming

by TripAdvisor Member mrktman_2000

The room, with a small balcony , overlooked the pool ..... decor with great style:sparkling, perfect, and immaculate...nice artwork...great bed and bedding....terrific food...very pleasant dining area poolside...setting with pool and gardens was simply delightful. Charming owners...a real treasure(1 block from public tennis courts) .Coffee maker in room would have been nice.

SoBeYou is a real treasure. Can't wait to return!
Jan & Dan
Savannah, GA

It grew on us!

by TripAdvisor Member WanderersCheshire

When we first contacted the B&B, we had only planned to stay for 3 nights, but were told we had to book for 4 nights as a minimum or nothing. We weren't entirely happy with this, but liked the look of the B&B on the website so decided to go with it. Before arriving in Miami, we had stayed in another B&B in a different location which had been fantastic with a gorgeous big room and bathroom. Arriving at SoBeYou, we were a little disappointed. The room was quite small and the bathroom was tiny, but the outdoor space was very nice and the room was very clean. The B&B is in the Art Deco district which had a really nice feel to it and it felt safe to walk around in the evenings. The location is good for the beach, shops and places to eat and it's quiet enough to get a good night's sleep. If you take a car, it's best to get a parking permit (provided by the B&B) and leave it parked outside as far as possible. Parking is difficult and the police mean what they say about towing cars away which shouldn't be there - we had a very lucky escape one morning! The staff at the B&B were friendly and helpful, the atmosphere is relaxed and it's nice just to hang around the pool. We're not big city people, but there's lots to do which doesn't involve the centre of Miami. Visits to Vizcaya and the Venetian Pool are highly recommended. On the whole we really enjoyd our stay at the SoBeYou and were glad that we'd stayed for 4 nights! However, we would make a couple of recommendations; some sort of tea/coffee making facilities would be good and some fresh fruit would improve breakfast - the portions were very generous, but the choice of menu was a little strange and not to everyone's taste!

Relaxing, quiet and beautiful bed and breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member blueislandmomof3

We stayed at the SoBeYou for a long weekend and really had a nice stay. The rooms are VERY clean and the bedding and furniture are all white and fresh. We walked to most everything although we did take the South Beach Local a few times. It costs 25 cents and was worth it. The room we stayed in was a deluxe king. It was about 9x11.... so quite small but decorated nicely. It had a flat screen tv mounted on the wall and a good selection of movies were available to borrow and watch.

I liked the fact that breakfast was from 9-10:30 so I didn't feel rushed in the morning. The breakfasts were great. If you want something different than what they are serving, just ask when you sit out by the pool. They are also all vegetarian breakfasts so there is no meat (just so you know). We had a broccolli and cheese omelet one morning, waffles with pecans topped with strawberries on another morning. All delicious.

The pool is more of a spa (it's about 10x12) and it is surrounded by beautiful trees and foliage.

My favorite part were the dogs. The owners were pet sitting (I think) for a little tiny dog named Samba and he was adorable. Peanut was a pleasure as well.

The SoBeYou is really an ideal honeymoon, couples get-a-way spot because it is far enough away from Ocean Drive to avoid the crowds but close enough to walk there. I would definitely stay there again!

So So

by TripAdvisor Member HP14

The SoBeYou could so easily be so good but, for me at least, it was just so so.

In its favour is the location, a quiet street, a pleasant 10 minute still from the noise and bustle of Washington and Collins Avenues and Ocean Drive (and only a little more from Lincoln Road). Pluses too are its friendly owners and beautiful rooms. First night was in the main house (3 rooms): the room was beautifully furnished, had a polished wood floor, a lovely bed, and quaint 30s furniture, though there wasn't a single space to put as much as a cent on (other than in the ample cupboard). The bathroom was exquisite, but shared. Then moved to the 7 room annexe at the back, a larger room, with a huge continental sized bed – but a shower that seemed to have been built for dwarves. So far, so good.

Where it fell apart though was with the breakfast. This was one of the worst breakfasts I have had anywhere. Remember this is a Bed & Breakfast, not a chain hotel with a cheap breakfast thrown in. There was no fresh fruit, no fresh coffee, no fresh bread, in fact not much at all. A grumpy woman said to go outside and wait on the patio – until the relatively late time of 9am. There, there were a couple of flasks and a couple of bowls with packets of instant cereal. Some time later the grumpy one appeared with a glass of juice and then a deep fried fritter with some processed fruit on top. That was breakfast. Those who came out a few minutes late, had a long wait. It was vile. Better to wander up to Lincoln Road and find your own breakfast. This far, so bad.

I doubt one could get a better room in the area for the price, or even a lot more, but the diabolical offering for breakfast spoilt this for me. Others commented on this too, hence while it's certainly not no on, it is just so so.

Couldn't be better

by TripAdvisor Member pittsburghgators

My wife and I spent our honeymoon here and still feel as though it was a paradise all in itself. We stayed in the middle unit of the
"guest house" out by the pool for 5 nights. The staff, Suzan and Julie along with the maid staff couldn't have been more hospitable. We spent the days carousing about Miami, and by the afternoons we couldn't wait to get back to the Bed & Breakfast.

As far as the breakfasts, which were commented on below, we thought they were perfect. the only time in which cereal was served was if you asked for it, otherwise you got quite a healthy breakfast, and it was far more than you would get at any chain hotel.

The bed was one of the most comfortable beds we had ever slept in in our lives! We would lay down to take a 30 minute nap and a couple hours would just fly by.

We even needed to have reservations set and a ride set up for one of the nights and Suzan took care of the whole thing!

If you are ever in the South Beach area, you will be remiss if you do not give this little place a try!

Great Find, Perfect Place to Relax and Stay

by TripAdvisor Member JanMadison

This B&B is in a beautiful art deco home on Jefferson Street.
It has a beautiful garden and pool. There are rooms in a separate building behiind the garden.

It is far enough away from Ocean Blvd to be quiet and relaxing, but close enough to everything that you can walk to museums, restaurants, Lincoln Mall.

The rooms are well designed and appointed, compact but very comfortable. There are chaise lounges by the pool for everyone.
A parking pass is included and a pass to Nikke beach, so you can go sit on a chaise lounge and swim in the ocean.

The breakfast is delicious and the atmosphere very welcoming and warm. The owners were gracious and knowledgable and gave excellent recommendations.

We will come back any time we have reason to be in the Miami area.

Friendly, charming, and very clean

by TripAdvisor Member HeatherWilson

My family and I really enjoyed our recent stay. The pool is small but relaxing an in a lush tropical court yard. There is a nice public park across the street with a much larger pool, playground, tennis courts. I am a fanatic about cleanliness and I found it to be one of the cleanest places that I've ever been.
Before staying there realize that they have a dog ( very docile and friendly). I loved the breakfast by the pool. Healthy food and the New York Times. However if you are a big breakfast eater you may be a little disapointed.
A great place.

Fabulous stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member elisabeth11

This B&B is great! My boyfriend and I stayed here over Easter weekend and had a wonderful experience. The entire staff was so nice, the owners were so friendly and they even upgraded us to a gorgeous suite for the entire long weekend!

The B&B was in the perfect location, far enough from the noise, but close enough to walk everywhere. The room was so clean and beautiful we didn't want to go home! This is one of the nicest inns we have ever stayed in. There was a nice mix of people (young couples, older couples, families, etc.) staying at the inn and it created a warm friendly atmosphere.

I highly recommend this inn to anyone looking for a quiet, clean, friendly and beautiful place to stay in a south beach!

Comments