Marseilles Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 15% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• girlskiier's Profile Photo

Great Location for the Price

I stayed in this hotel in 2001. The location is great if you want to be on the Ocean with a pool and right next to the Delano Hotel but pay a fraction of the cost. Good restaurant to get breakfast in. The lobby and bar leave a lot to be desired. Rooms are clean comfortable and spacious. Concierge and otehr amenities were not spectacular but remember you get what you pay for.

Directions: South Beach

More about Marseilles Hotel

Marseilles Hotel -- awful!

by TripAdvisor Member nemesio10

Whatever you do, DO NOT go to the Marseilles Hotel on Collins & 17th street! My wife & I went to the South Beach hotel on November 17, 2004 & the place was awful! The bed was horrible, the staff very unfriendly, and the pool was also dirty. It looked nothing like the pictures on the hotel's website.

But the worst thing occurred on our 2nd day at the hotel. At 6:30am, there was drilling on the roof of the hotel. Yes, DRILLING! The manager said the construction crew had to do emergency repair work. I understand these things happen. But we had no warning whatsoever from management. We asked the hotel if they could stop the drilling until later in the morning & whether the work would be completed that day. No assurances. We really felt that management didn't care. In fact the manager, through intermediaries, said we were free to leave. We were disgusted. So we packed up & left that morning. Luckily we found a charming & QUIET hotel on 12th & Collins called the Hotel Impala. We had a lovely time there.

Awful!!

by TripAdvisor Member JMCRutland

I stayed there Nov 14 - 18. The hotel is in terrible condition. It is filthy and run down. The first room we were given smelled so bad of mold and mildew, we asked to be changed. The hotel agreed, but only if we paid a $20/night upgrade fee. I agreed. The next room had a bathroom so small that we could not open the toilet seat lid more than 45 degrees. The next day, we asked for another room. This room had an air conditioning vent that was full-on all the time, blasting cold air 24 hours a day. There was no way to control it; when we complained, the maintenance guy tried to close off the vent with masking tape. Obviously that did not work. It was like trying to sleep in a freezing cold air tunnel. The water pressure in the shower was terrible and it was almost impossible to control the temperature. The toilet seat was ancient, full of scrapes and dents. The tiles were cracked and dirty.

There was no pool bar or poolside snack bar. The pool was filthy. When I ordered a drink at the lobby bar, the bartender used generic label tequilla and bottled mix; he charged $11.60 for the drink, a complete rip off. I would never stay in this hotel again, especially for $150/night. In contrast, we looked at the South Seas hotel next door which had rooms available for less money. It was clean, smelled great, had a lovely pool area and full service for drinks and food at the bar.

The Hotel Marseilles is nothing at all like what is advertised on the web site. It is awful. I don't take a vacation to deal with this kind of crummy property. Don't stay here under any circumstances.

Good value hotel for the district

by TripAdvisor Member AndyCLondon_England

Originally booked a cheaper hotel, then came across this website so decided to cancel the earlier booking and re-book the Marseille. An excellent decision. The hotel was very clean and had all the required facilities. We had standard rooms, no great views but we don't spend time staring out the window! We stayed for 2 nights (2-3 Aug) at $82 (£45) per night incl taxes. Parking was available at $12 per day just round the corner. The rooms were not large, but everything worked. The location was great for the beach and all that South Beach has to offer.

A Pretty Good Deal

by TripAdvisor Member Icandi

My girlfriends and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. We checked in pretty late due to a situation at the airport and we were given a queen room instead of two double beds as guaranteed. That was alright by us considering our check-in time. In the morning when we called down to the front desk to switch rooms we were assisted by a lady who was extremely rude. She seemed to not care one way or the other about our situation and we almost had to get nasty with her to see results. We eventually were switched to a double bed room and the rest of the trip went smoothly. The rest of the front desk staff were great and very professional. The location of the hotel is pretty good. You may still end up catching a cab to some of the better nightclubs on Washington, but it'll only hit you about $5-$7. The gentleman who booked our shuttle back to the airport was the sweetest thing ever. My girls and I would stay there again, but hopefully by that time the lady at the front desk will have gotten an attitude adjustment.

Great value for the area!

by TripAdvisor Member Jewels614

My boyfriend and I just came back from our second trip to South Beach this year. We stayed at the Marseilles for 4 nights, starting Aug. 18. I basically relied on all of these comments to book the trip. We were bouncing back and forth from this hotel, the Dorchester and Circa 39 (all were rougly the same price, an unbeatable $300 for air and the 4 night stay!!). Check out the perks of this hotel: decent sized pool downstairs, direct access to the beach, hammocks hanging from palm trees in the back, a 2 minute walk to restaurants, drug stores, liquor store, a 5 minute walk to Lincoln Road, restaurant serving breakfast downstairs, morning paper delivered to your door, and literally 3 doors down from the Delano and Raleigh (dont miss these hotels for a drink! careful though, drinks cost $11). The room was just fine, clean, just large enough (might be cramped for 4 people though), the balcony was a nice touch as was the mini-fridge. It seems to me like all of the negative comments written about this place were posted by snobs trying to find the Ritz in cozy 2.5 star Marseilles. I had an excellent experience at this hotel and definitely recommend it. Have fun in South Beach!

good value

Even though this hotel is a ten minute walk to the main strip it has many perks. The rooms are large, and clean... The hotel bar is a good place to grab a drink before u go otu for the night... The pool is small but good for taking a dip after a long day on the beach...The walkway to the beach and hammock area is a nice place to relax in the shade. Overall I was very happy with the price and the hotel overall....just wish it was a little closer to the action. No complaints

Hated It !!!

I was very disappointed with this hotel.

When I made my reservations several months in advance and asked about parking I was not told they may not be able to accommodate me. None the less when I arrive I am told I will have to park several blocks away from the hotel and pay $20.00 a day to park there.

After that I get to my room and feel as if I am in a closet. It was very small. I thought I was in a cheap motel. The tiles in the bathroom were cracked and sticking out. My TV was not working. I went down to the front desk to complain and was told it was only one person there and would have to wait. After about one hour of waiting I decided to plug it into the bathroom outlet. Would you know it worked. Apparently the outlet for the TV was not operating.

My room was next to the elevator so all day and night I heard the beeping noise from the elevator.

The staff was very unfriendly and rude!!

I would never stay there again.

On the beach, not bad, but ...

by TripAdvisor Member Southton

If you can get a good price, then a stay at this hotel might be a great deal. I got a fair price for an ocean view room. Overall I was pleased.

The hotel has a pretty good location, ... near Lincoln Road and about 4 blocks from the start of Ocean Drive. Also, the hotel is right on the beach and it has a good size pool (by South Beach standards). It's an older hotel, similar to many of the South Beach hotels with small bathrooms, tile floors, older furnishings, basically kind of quaint. It was kind of noisy at night, but you'll get that anywhere on South Beach. The decor was a little dated, but over all the room was clean. My A/C was very loud with the air whooshing , but I guess it could've been the opposite, ... little or no air. One nice touch was a newspaper in the morning, even on the weekend!

I thought the staff was very friendly and accomodating. My colleague didn't like the first room they assigned him and he switched with no problem. I was pleased with mine. I would probably stay here again. Good luck!

Comments