3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 69% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Metropole Apartments

Dissapointed with the Metropole

by TripAdvisor Member Craig_Harrison

We stayed at the Metropole Apartments, in Miami Beach, from 28th Jan to 1st Feb 2008. First impressions were alarming as the front of the hotel was a building site covered with materials to fit out the shop which is to become the ground floor. Work on this, with the accompanying noise continued throughout our stay.

The reception desk is pokey to say the best and the elevator worked intermittently. The staff appeared to be far from happy and usually avoided eye contact.

The room itself, 204, on the first floor, though of a reasonable size is dark and depressing due to the lack of natural light. The only window in the lounge overlooking an internal roof. The site itself is reasonable ,being only a block from Ocean Drive with its lively nightlife however this end of Collins Ave is rather downmarket and depressing. Car parking is nigh on impossible in the area so one has to repost to valet parking which costs $37 a night.

The rooms are decorated in an unfortunately dark manner with grey, black and dark wood predominating. The quality of the decor is somewhat amateurish with a less than a professional finish. Sound insulation of the apartment is not good and noises from above and below disturbed our sleep on several occasions. The bathroom (shower only) is tiny but there is an ample walk-in wardrobe. The bed was very comfortable and the large LCD TVs were good. The kitchen is well equipped.

We were disappointed enough to suggest we cut short our visit by a day but were advised by the management that 7 days notice is required if we were not to pay for the last night. Overall I feel this site has fallen far short of my expectations and has negatively influenced my view of Miami Beach.

Would I use this hotel group again? No
Would I recommend the property? No

Form or Function? Form TRIUMPHS!

by TripAdvisor Member bibliosandy

1. The rooms are as attractive as the brochures depict , but:
a. the thermometer can only be read with the hall door open-no light in the entry;
b. expensive flat screen tv's, terrible signal-may have been corrected by the cable provider;
c. coffee maker and great coffee(not replenished)-but no coffee filters. "Oh! But they don't need filters." Wanna bet?
d. OK shower, half enclosed, the other half is open, and yes the water that collects on the ledge pitches into the bathroom. Could be easily corrected, but I'll bet it hasn't, well the towels are plush and absorbent;
e. Lamps are SoBe trendy, chic, basically useless- it can be very dark;
f. iPod dock is cool, but do you really want to hear your neighbor's tunes at three A.M., check in time for revelers-a call to the desk will result in decibel reduction- a brisk "shut the ___k up!" will also generally bring the desired result .
h. Beds. The beds are very comfortable. The squeeze between the tv and the bed can be just that, quite a squeeze.
2. The staff are very courteous, almost obsequious-but, management is either nonexistent or uninterested.
3. Don't get a room over the road. Every reveler and motorcycle in SoBe(South Beach) has to pass under your window in order to get home and if your really lucky, maybe the restaurant under your room is up and running.
4. Cleanliness. The rooms are generally clean and neat-the hallways are NOT! Housekeeping is just OK.
5. Parking. Parking on the street is out of the question. It can be done, but expect to feed the meters until midnight and then again early in the A.M. So, if you have a vehicle, expect to use valet parking. If you use valet parking, expect to wait-they get slammed. Call at least 1/2 hour ahead of requiring you wheels- and the, I say slyly, then you'll only have to wait another 10 minutes. DON'T leave anything in your vehicle. The valet parkers are, I am sure, quite honest-but garage attendants have been known to supplement their income(woefully meager)
in ways that would bring a smile to Fagan. Learn from my experience.
6. LOCATION - F A N T A S T I C!!!!!!!! Go out, get plastered and none of this will matter.

OK, met our needs

by TripAdvisor Member JulieBerkshire

Great bits:
Comfy beds....really good
No noise...slept well
Big room, accomodated our daughter on the bed settee in the living room which was all prepared for us
Central location

Down points:
Lack of real customer service, general interest in what/where to go by the front desk.
Dark, dark rooms - bring a torch, the rooms are dingy
Lack of mirrors, as a girly struggled to do my makeup

Probably would not book this hotel again

Great Location, Great furniture, Poor Infrastucture

by TripAdvisor Member chmoss

The furniture and TVs, etc are all very modern, but the infrastructure is old and it shows. The shower in our first room did not deliver hot water, the shower in the second room had the hot and cold feeds switched causing some initial confusion.

Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard, not the alley.

Very Hot/Cold Staff - ended up good but not sure i'd go back

by TripAdvisor Member emahmood

I'm torn on how to rate this review because of my varied experience. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a less than helpful staff member who gives the pretense of knowing everything when in fact she knows nothing. I booked a two BR suite specifically because of the two bathrooms. Once i went up to my room, i saw there was only one bathroom. so i went back to the check-in area and this woman proceeded to tell me that there were no rooms in the facility with 2 bathrooms when i specifically saw it on the website!! There was no remorse or consolation for anything. An hour later, three men knocked on our door and said "inspection" and walked right in. We asked a few times what was wrong and no one spoke English, finally two more men showed (and we were a room full of girls so we were feeling pretty uncomfortable at this point) and one of them explained that someone had called about that hot water. I told hiim that we had just gotten there, and hadn't had an opp to find out if anything was wrong. He apologized and took his crew. My friend went down to the front desk and the woman had more of the same nonsensical excuses.

Onto the better part of my trip - Terrence (another staff member) basically turned our initial negative impression inside out. He listened to my story when I went to the front desk to ask for another blanket (the staff mostly don't speak or understand english so its very diificult to communicate w/o going to the front desk). He then told me that 2 bathroom rooms were plentiful at the Metropole and asked me if my friends and I would like to move. And so we did, to the courtyard suite! Beautiful room, very spacious and perfect for our bachelorette weekend in SoBe.

Location of the hotel is nice, cute courtyard, no pool, lots of closet space, kitchen (no cooking utensils, one small pot/pan, utensils, plates/cups, fridge/freezer), comfy beds, dining table, flat screen tvs, 2 blocks from the beach. Shuttle to/from airport is free, runs about every two hours, stops at all the other South Beach Group hotels.

1st time: OK, 2nd time: Average

by TripAdvisor Member gottabeg_me

Ok, I stayed a few months ago and my experience was ok, we got there really early and even though it wasn't check in time, the receptionist took my cell phone number and called me an hour later for my room, and even though we had to wait, we thought it was really kind. We had a few problems with our bathroom and asked to speak with a manager but they were too busy, front desk was very helpful, We changed our rooms twice, but we were happy overall, they ended up sending us a bottle of wine for the inconveniences, and she gave us some passes for a private beach. I had to send some faxes for my work, and they even helped me with that. I think their names were Patricia and Karla. Then, we came back on February, we got to the hotel really early in the morning like the time we stayed before and the guy just told us to come back at 3pm because he didn't have any rooms. He didn't even make eye contact.
The service wasn't great this time, but thank god we did not have any problems with the room. I must say the location is perfect, right in the middle of south beach. The Ballet Parking needs some work, they are kind of slow. The rooms are dark, but who goes to Miami to read a book anyways? The rooms are clean, but the mini bar wasn't full everyday, which kinda sucked.

So... The hotel probably needs a kinder staff with more customer service abilities. A faster valet and ELEVATOR. And it seems like they fixed the bathrooms problems.

And by the way... the construction in front of it, it's over. I think we will try it again next time we go, hopefully we'll have a better time.

Absolutely Loved Metropole

by TripAdvisor Member thebrowguru

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Metropole. Which I can honestly say will be my first of many. I can't tell express how glad I am that I didn't allow previous reviews deter me from choosing the Metropole as my home away from home. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful. I absolutely LOVED Oscar the hotel concierge, he was very nice and friendly and all of my guests also thought so. Albert the director of sales made booking my business stay an absolute breeze! My guests most of who live right there in SoBe couldn't believe that they didn't know such a place existed. It was funny to see them opening the fridge and stove to see if they were really working appliances. The bed... not sure what type of magic they put in it but I slept like a baby! I'm glad that I'm booked for basically the rest of the year because I'm pretty certain that once others find out about this place bookings will be hard to come by.

Great location...Beautiful Courtyard

by TripAdvisor Member jkapmiami

We just spent a 4-day weekend in one of the courtyard 2-bedroom suites. The private courtyard made me feel like I was visiting a secluded estate - right in the middle of South Beach. The interiors were modern and comfortable. The beds as good as any I've slept in including the Ritz. The rooms could have used more lighting, and we usually kept the shades down because we were on the ground level. The staff was helpful and nice. They were always around the hotel cleaning and checking on us. The price for the 2 bedroom suite was lower than a one bedroom unit in the other hotels. I would definitely recommend the Metropole to anyone that wants to be in the middle of the action and energy of South Beach.

Cute Rooms but horrible service

by TripAdvisor Member pinkpanther1980

This past weekend a few friends and I went to Miami and we stayed at what we thought was great hotel in SOBE.

We arrived at the Metropole and were greeted by two great bellmen who had great service.

We were then shown to our room which was supposed to be a 2 room / 2 bath suite, much to our surprise along with that of 3 other groups who were expecting the same thing came to notice that it was only a 2 room / 1 bath suite.

We also had trouble getting clean towels and linens from staff as maintenance and housekeepers aren't on staff 24/7. We had to wait in the heat for maintenance to come and fix our air conditioner and the radio in the room.

Over all the ikea furniture was what our money went to.. it's was cute.

Horrible

by TripAdvisor Member PLD48

Dark, stinky ,garbage left all day long in the hallways.
Valley parking took 30 min to get my car.Never ever boutique style hotels for me. Do not trust the pictures.This was a doghouse.

Comments