Mondrian Miami

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 47% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Escape to Miami

We arrived at the Mondrian on June 30th, 2011 to get some R & R and to get away from the hustle and bustle of New York. The hotel lobby was cute but not as grand as it seemed in the pictures online. The receptionist was quite pleasant in getting us situated and provided us with a map of the neighborhood and tips on the best restaurants/shopping areas. The hotel suite we received was clean, spacious and beautiful and the view from our private balcony was stunning. You get a great view of the pool as well as Biscayne Bay!! There were a few cruise ships in the bay and the lights at night around the Bay were incredible. The windows and patio door of the suite invites a lot of light (I despise dreary rooms) into the suite which is in sharp contrast to the hotel halls which are considerably darker but nice.
    We were poolside every day despite the occasional thunder shower and I must say David "the Cabana boy" was magnificent!! He was extremely friendly, attentive, helpful and seemed to genuinely strive to make sure all guests were happy. Cocktail prices at the pool were at bit steep however I couldn't resist and had to indulge.
    I was very much looking forward to dining at Asia De Cuba as Im familiar with the one in NYC. My choice was the roasted Salmon with mushrooms+cucumbers which I enjoyed, however my waiter was not as attentive as I would've liked and I felt a bit rushed.
    As far as location, I loved the fact that it was away from the chaos of South Beach. Its in walking distance if you want to experience the noise and the party scene but it's nice to leave it behind and head back to a more quieter neighborhood at the end of the evening. Also, there are a lot of cool restaurants & shops and again everything is in walking distance!
    Bottom line = I would recommend this hotel. Thanks again David, you made my stay a memorable and enjoyable one!!!!!

More about Mondrian Miami

A Perfect Weekend. Impeccable Service.

by TripAdvisor Member adam58a

My wife and I just returned from four days/three nights at Mondrian Miami. Not a single complaint! Everything was absolutely superb. We arrived a few hours before check in and were taken to our room immediately. They even upgraded us to a suite with a balcony overlooking the bay.

The room was gorgeous. Marcel Wanders did a great job. It has a sophisticated modern whimsy that we both loved. Entire room was immaculately clean. Bed (sheets and mattress) was super comfy. Direct TV and Bose speaker were nice. Bathroom had a great shower with a rainfall head enclosed by a chandelier. Nice touch!

Gym was great. A row of treadmills and bikes overlooking the pool area and bay, rack of freeweights and a bunch of nautilis equipment. All very clean and well maintained.

The service across the board was immaculate. The front desk handled every single request immediately and with the most pleasant, welcoming attitude. There was an issue where a hold was placed on my debit card (standard practice at any hotel). Usually, this hold takes about a week to clear, but I called the front desk and they faxed a letter to my bank to remove the hold. About 15 minutes after a very brief call to the front desk, the hold was released by my bank.

We didn't eat at the hotel's Asia de Cuba, but did order room service at about 1:30 am. Truffled Mac & Cheese and Fries. Both were very, very tasty and arrived promptly. The drinks, whether poolside or at the bar were fantastic. I highly recommend the Lychee/Elderflower Capirinha as well as the Strawberry Basil Capirinha. Only issue here is that all drinks are served in plasticware. Not a fan of that. I spoke with the bartender and he explained that they currently have no process for preventing people from bringing glassware to the pool, but are currently working out a solution.

The concierges (Andres and Reo) are both awesome. Very nice, cool guys who hooked us up with reservations at a bunch of different restaurants and bars. They used their personal contacts to get us into exclusive places.

Also, the hotel is around the block from a Whole Foods. Very nice if you want to run out for an inexpensive lunch, fruit, smoothie, etc.

All in all... this place was GREAT! We will be returning here again and again.

Great Hotel (for the price) - What's everyone complaining about?

by TripAdvisor Member imset

Just got back from a weekend at the Mondrian (1/16 - 1/18/09) and I have to say it was a very decent hotel. I don't see what everyone is complaining about. It did have some kinks since it is new but overall I had a great experience there. I did get the introductory rate of $195 and I must say I am not sure I would stay there if it was $495. The key issue is the location since it is not on the beach.

Pros
1. Great introductory rate of $195
2. Clean, quiet, large rooms with big soft comfortable beds (one night someone in the room across the hall was blasting techno music at 5:15 am - I called to complain and within 5 minutes the staff went over there to tell them to turn it off; I did not hear noise from the value parking - I was on 6th floor facing the front of the hotel). Also, a kitchenette with fridge (for milk for my cereal). Whole Foods is around the corner!
3. I got there at noon and my room was ready so they checked me in.
4. Access to Delano beach and pool - go to the Delano for most of the day then at 4 or so head back to Mondrian for sunset over the bay. I did this twice - no problems/hassles at Delano and no extra charge.
5. Nice pool and pool area
6. This is the place to be on Friday nights - the bar and restaurant were packed. I came back to the hotel around midnight and immediately got in past the crowd waiting to get in since I was a guest at the hotel.
7. I did not hear the bar/DJ/crowd in my room at night
8. Friendly staff. I had no problems with the staff so I don't know what people are complaining about. Only negative is there are too many people opening up every door for you (OK, front door and door to pool only)
9. Great (but expensive) restaurant (Asia de Cuba)
10. Gym was decent - not great (aerobic equipment and limited machines and dumbells - up to 40 lbs - no free weights)

Cons
1. Still some kinks - TV did not work properly at first (I called and they fixed it); TiVO kept restarting; some lights were out, light switches for nonexistent lights.
2. No drawers for clothes (there were two closets but no drawers)
3.. Location - it is a 15 -20 minute walk to the beach (which I don't mind) or take a cab. BUT, like I said, this is the place to be Friday nights so this could be a pro.
3. Parking is expensive - yes, but I parked on the street right in front of the hotel and left it there for the weekend.
4. I see what people are talking about the IKEA furntiure (but who cares).
5. No sign on the hotel so easy to miss

Ignore Any Bad Reviews...The Mondrian is the Best New Hotel in SoBe!

by TripAdvisor Member BeachTraveler2010

Ok, I'm going to set the record straight: anyone who can sit and write anything negative about the Mondrian hotel is just a chronic complainer or flat out crazy.

This. Hotel. Is. AWESOME! From the staff to the ammenities, to the rooms, to the amazing design, all the way to the uber-swank pool area, the Mondrian is for sleek jet-setters who want to stay on SoBe in style. Also, it's for those who want to enjoy SoBe's active atmosphere, and then retreat back to their hotel which is a completely different world off the Ocean Drive/Collins Ave path.

My girlfriend and I arrived at 11:30am, and check-in was at 3pm. No Problem! Front desk personnel gave us our room keys immediately, with a less-than-10 mins check-in. Like many staying during Dec-Jan, we got the $195 per night rate (we stayed Jan 14-18), and our room was a 750 sq ft one bedroom suite with balcony. Plus a full mini-bar with full kitchen that included tea kettle, coffee maker, plates, glasses couple of pieces of cookware - everything we needed. Of course we only used utensils and plates and things...wouldn't advise anyone to touch the Patron, Belvidere, Grey Goose, Moet, etc unless you want to waste money. Even the M&Ms and Kit Kats were charged at $4 a pop! I respect the hotel's hustle, but smart people know better than that lol.

I see what a few people mean by Ikea furnishings, but who doesn't like Ikea? And it's done in awesome taste. Marcel Wanders did do a fab job. My fave fixture was the awesome bathroom - totally swank and modern like I've never seen! The door was frosted and swung both ways; the sink was designed in the fashion of a long countertop, but the water amazingly never touched the other end; and the shower...sooo FLY! It was mirrored with two shower heads - one detachable like a massager that was stainless steel, and an unbelievable overhead shower encased in a chandelier. It was like rain!

The Bose iPod dock was right on time. Who doesn't want to listen to their own select music in their room? I had TiVo in the living room and basic cable in the bedroom, both on 40-inch flat screens.

Oh, another fixture I loved was the sunset lighting these rooms have. It's an orange glow that was perfect for the early evening hours.

And it's true - Andres and Reo at the concierge were the best. Reo was a great, nice guy. And Andres went out of his way AT THE CLUB to make certain me and my girlfriend got in. Now that's service!

See my pictures for more illustrated details and see for yourself. Then you'll know that anyone who says this place is bad is retarded.

Hip boutique hotel with a funky vibe.

by TripAdvisor Member travelgirl521

I, too, am puzzled by the bad reviews. I just returned from a three day stay at this hotel and was pleased overall with the property and staff. No, this is not a 5 star hotel....but who ever said it was? For those who don't know, Ian Schrager Hotels are trendy, hip and funky....they are not Ritz-Carltons! Most people who know anything about the hotel group are already aware of this and know what to expect. At these prices, how can you possibly expect 5 stars?

The hotel is a 20-minute walk away from Ocean Drive and Collins Avenue. There is limited shuttle service available to The Delano, which is right on Collins Avenue. My husband and I actually preferred being away from the crowds, but if your desire is to be located in the center of the action, you should not stay here. The hotel is situated on the bay (translation: no beach), but the pool area is absolutely lovely and oh-so-cool. Note: if you are a die-hard beachgoer, see the concierge about free passes to the beach at The Delano. They are happy to give them to you.

The rooms are spacious and very minimalist in design, which is typical of Marcel Wanders/Dutch design. To many people, this would translate to Ikea chic. The decor was not exactly to my liking, but as I stated before, if you have stayed at some of the other Schrager Hotels (The Hudson and Royalton come to mind), you are already familiar with the style. If you are looking for plush Aubusson carpets and Louis XV reproduction furniture, you'll find your interests best served elsewhere. If possible, book a room with a view of the bay. The views are endless and unbelievable. A word of caution about bay-view rooms....if you are staying at the hotel on a weekend and are a light sleeper, make sure you are on a very high floor or, better yet, book a different room. The hotel's nightlife is quite boisterous on weekends. We were on the 9th floor and were not very bothered by the noise. Still, it would be best to exercise caution.

Staff was helpful, especially the concierge. Bartenders were friendly and prompt. Wait staff at Asia de Cuba was very accommodating and friendly, but sadly, the food was just OK, nothing special at all. Prime 112, Vix, Casa Tua, Maison D'Azur at Hotel Astor and Blue Door at The Delano are all much better options. Excellent food - however, beware as all are pricey.

Overall, my stay at the Mondrian was positive. I believe room rates are currently in the $300 range. I must say, I would likely research other options (assuming they are available...this is South Beach, after all) if the rates were to exceed $400.

It's hot but not for kids

by TripAdvisor Member lyah

I was attracted to this hotel because of the rate $195. I loved it.
The staff were extremely friendly. It was obvious that they were trained and over trained. The many waitresses at the pool were deliberately looking for objects I was wearing to complement (a bit phony, but pleasant).
The pool bar was a fun place to hang out. It was obvious that this is a popular celebrity singles spot. The cocktails were the best I ever had. Can't wait to get back for that.
The lobby is bright, clean and lovely. The room decor is 'different'.
The bold black and white, ultra contemporary design would not appeal to many, but it was very clean and comfortable. I'm not sure how long the formica bed and other formica items would hold up. They went too far with creativity this time.
The gym was quiet and clean. The spa and business center was not yet open.
This place is not recommended for children but for young adults,
it was well worth the money and perfect for a girlfriends night out.

One of the Best Hotels on South Beach!

by TripAdvisor Member aBitParticular

Stayed at the Mondrian over MLK weekend and I have to say I was really impressed. I have stayed in at least a dozen hotels in Miami over the years and I can definitely say this one's a winner. I'm kind of shocked to see some reviewers say otherwise. Keep in mind this hotel has only been open since Decemeber 2008 so, like any new business, there may be some minor kinks to smooth out (for example the spa wasn't yet open when I was there) but for the most part it's a brilliant hotel.

Rooms are big, modern & bright with a great flat panel TV with TIVO, beautifully designed bathrooms (the chandelier showerhead was a great touch), fantastic pool area with full view of the Miami skyline and of course amazing food at Asia de Cuba. Staff is as polite and friendly as you will find anywhere in Miami.

I could only find two faults with this property: the rooms could use a chest of drawers to store folded clothes and it would be great to offer a shuttle to the Delano on the beach (Mondrian guests are allowed to use the Delano's beach area). Compared to the rooms at it's sister hotels in Miami (the Delano and the Shore Club) the Mondrian clearly reigns supreme.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone (except someone who wants to stay right on the beach). Well done Mondrian!

Not for us....

by TripAdvisor Member Kardiff

1st time in South Beach, so i was not sure where to book, so i took the offer that Mondrian was offering for it's opening months, i arrived early and a sunday morning, were not expecting for the room to be ready, but lucky us the room was ready, we were given some vouchers for breakfast(we went for a BB rate), and that was it, receptionist was very cold, she didnt ask if we would like to be shown around, didn't explain the breakfast times, lunch and dinner times, didnt tell us neither that the spa was not finished yet( we didn't know it was not finished yet and it don't say on their website.
We made our way to the room, 9th floor ocean view side first impressions were very good, a bit cold again, but it was the design at night with the lights on the room looked a bit more cosy, we didn't like the kitchen area at all, it dont fit with the rest of the room and hotel,the bathroom was really good, great shower, staff overall were ok, no-one at the hotel used our surnames or remembered us, we stayed for 3 days, every time we went to the pool area we had to present our room cards, the pool atmosphere was the best thing about the hotel, the poolside girls were very good and very attentive, very expensive the pool menu $9 for a small ice cream, not worth it, we just didn't liked that every time time we entered the pool the person on the door asked" were are you guys from?" meaning are you staying at the hotel, or tourists, not very professional.
Breakfast was disastrous, no-one have seen these breakfast vouchers before and selection was very poor, 2 juices, 3 cereal options, a few pastries, 5 different fruits and a few yogurts, very small buffet, and at the end they made us sign for the bill, $54, same thing the next day.
The location of the hotel is good, its a good 10 mins to the beach, or 10 mins walk to lincoln mall road, so we were not to far from the main attractions. 11th Street.
On checkout they gave us the wrong bill, some added mini bar that we never had and they charged us for 1 breakfast, but soon after the charges were removed.
Overall we would probably not stay here again as we found the place very cold and staff were not so good on our opinion, and an expensive hotel for what we got $245 BB rate plus $33.50 local tax per night, when we got back we did the on-line comment card we ask ed them to get back to us but still no reply to it.

Trying to be hip

by TripAdvisor Member 2 working 2 travel

The hotel public areas are very sleek and contemporary, reminding us of the W. The rooms, however, lose sophistication and functionality. Furnishings in our spacious suite were sparse and look like they were purchased from Ikea. Our suite had no carpet, only an area rug. The floor was gray and looked like slate. The area rug was placed under the platform bed. No rug under the kitchenette dining table or chairs. The bathroom had an unusual sink probably 3 to 4 feet long with Kleenex, soap dish and water glass placed at the far end of the sink. Nothing prevented the water from running to this end, so the Kleenex box became soaked. Without any other vanity, guests could not expect to place toiletries, hair dryers, or clothing in this elongated sink and have them remain safe. The shower was also bizarre. Either you had minimal spray from a hosed, wall mounted shower head or you could have an overhead rain from the chandelier. Dinner at the hotel's restaurant, Asia de Cuba, was very good, but also rather pricey. ($130 for 2) Probably not uncommon however, for South Beach. Parking ($37 per day) was also high in our opinion.

Nice Hip Hotel, Good Experience

by TripAdvisor Member jaybarBoston

We got a special introductory rate for the Mondrian this past Saturday night. Great hip place, right on the bay in SoBe. Pool area is nice, great view of the bay. Our room was nice, had kind of an Ikea feel to it but it was clean and modern. The shower is a chandelier that falls from the ceiling. Bed was comfy and it even had a high end Sony HD TV, small range, table etc. Overall I would stay here if the price stays the same (200) Only thing against the hotel is that it's a good 1 mile plus from the beach, so you cant just pop into your hotel if your at the beach. I'd recommend the place, seems new hip and not as expensive as the other nice hotels on the beach.

Very SoBe...

by TripAdvisor Member brazilian2005

I was very exited about this brand new Hotel. It was just opened days before we came.
And then the reality...
The chek in was perfect. Staff very helpfull.
The room ...I was disapointed... no closet...So we spent 6 days with all our staff on the floor.
But we loved the view and the place is really cool.
We used Delano┬┤s beach and , above all, we had a great time!

Personal TV on flight CDG-MIA, it's newPersonal TV on flight CDG-MIA, it's new

Puerta Sagua, South Beach, MiamiPuerta Sagua, South Beach, Miami

GatorGator

Making friends in the EvergladesMaking friends in the Everglades

age tyo check in

by smokedu454

What is the age limit to check in into a room thats booked?

RE: age tyo check in

by YVRDave

by the hour or day?

Check-in age depends on lodging

by PR-7

Some accomodations require a certain minimum age for the person checking into the room. Most permit anyone of legal age, which is 18 in Florida. I'd be surprised if any place permitted an unaccompanied minor to rent a room. You should contact the lodging you are considering before making a reservation.

Comments