Pelican

Pelican Hotel
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• bluejaxx's Profile Photo

Trendy hotel on Ocean Drive

The pelican is a very trendy themed hotel, each hotel room has a different decorative theme. My hotel rooms theme was optique diabolique with orange and red lighting. The bathroom was a nice size and they had aveda products in the bathroom. The room was nicely done but they forgot the bed comforter, might not seem like a problem in Miami but since you cant change the thermostat (it was 69 degrees) you may want to call to make sure that they are on the bed. And it also good to ask if the room is smoking or non, because i think the last guest smoked and i could still smell it.

Unique Quality: You cant beat the location, its right across from the beach and has valet service which you really need on ocean drive because there is NO parking unless you pay a fortune for the garage, the valet is actually cheaper, but you will pay $22 a day, but they bring the car right to you in front of the hotel when you need it.

Directions: between 8th and 9th street on ocean drive

More about Pelican

Quirky Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bgAlaska

My husband and I stayed two nights in the "Me Trazan, You Vain" room.
We particularly enjoyed the very comfortable and free beach lounge chairs available free to guest of the Pelican Hotel. Acturally the beach chairs were more comfortable than the bed in the room. The beach is right across the street. The shower was fantastic, the showerhead was about 10 inches in diameter. Apparently water pressure and water conservation is not an issue here. Hard wood floors in the rooms, attractive but not practical because of the sand from the beach that can easily be tracked in.
We ate in the restaurant several times and enjoyed it. Service and food were good. Good coffee too.

It's all true

by TripAdvisor Member duttonst

Stayed here for a night in early February, largely on the strength of the reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed. Don’t be put off by the hip image & trendy décor – this is a top class hotel with really friendly staff and rooms like you wish you had at home. We were lucky enough to have one of the suites overlooking Ocean Drive, and there can’t be many places on South Beach where you feel more at the center of things. In fact that’s it’s only drawback: Miami stays up late and if you’re a light sleeper and you go for one of the beach-side rooms, you’ll be staying up late too.

Fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member JayeMc

Just got back from 3 days of Pelican heaven. Fabulous rooms which were stylish and comfortable. Even the toiletries were wonderful. You could tell who else was a Pelican guest just by who smelled wonderful as they wafted by you on Ocean drive. Food fantastic. Drink great -loved the bellinis and to top it all the staff were friendly, fun and extremely helpful. We couldn't fault this place. Treat yourself.

Can't go wrong with the Pelican

by TripAdvisor Member heyul

I stayed here for 3 nights last week--because of the great reviews it received here and I was really pleased. The hotel staff was great and the whole environment lacked the pretentiousness other hotels in South beach offer by the truck load. Our room was clean and quirky, they left goodies on our pillows each night, and the food at the restaurant was excellent. Best part is the price--the pelican was much cheaper than many of the other fancy pants hotels in miami beach.

Very interesting rooms. A change of pace.

After leaving Disney World Resorts, we wanted to stay at someplace a little different. My wife and I stayed 2 nights at the Best Whorehouse (Room 215). It was a back room with a poor view but away from the street noise at night. The decorations were fantastic, location was wonderful. The atmosphere of the hotel fit perfectly with South Beach. Had a rental car but didn't really need it. Right on the main strip and across the street from the beach. Staff was helpfulThe only negative was the Palmetto bugs. My wife didn't take a fancy to the big cockroaches with wings. But hey, it's Florida.

Great hotel, excellent staff, weird beds

by TripAdvisor Member viba424

Overall I was extremely happy with the Pelican. Right smack dab in the middle of all of the action of South Beach, it had shopping, restaurants and the beach. In case you havent been to South Beach, nearly every hotel along Ocean Drive has a restaurant in front and many look exactly the same with their hosts peddling out front. The Pelican was distinctive and our favorite restaurant as well as hotel. You really must try the key lime pie.

The hotel has a little section of the beach staffed, and will set you up with very nice chiars, umbrella and a towel. The rooms have nice freebies in the fridge and the staff was great.

Now the beds. They were foam. Not the popular memory foam I have seen in department stores. Dense, firm, square, low to the ground. Who knows, maybe it is really hip in europe and Im clueless, but I really hated it. Can a bed feel depressing? Id stay there again, that is unless I could afford the Delano.

Outstanding and different!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Carolrose

Visited March 17-21 and was so pleasantly surprised! We had the executive king suite and it was so so nice and different! The theme of the room was "ZEBRA" and the room was unique! It was extremely clean. You could eat off the polished hardwood floors. 2 bathrooms which my husband and I loved. Separate Dressing area for me, the lady.which I loved. The room faced the street...somehow we hit it during spring break, but all the noise was just part of South Beach. The music from the speakers outside the restaurant went until 2AM...yet we loved it! Service from the hotel was very very nice and the restaurant was soo good...we ate breakfast there every morning and dinner one night.

The next time we return to South Beach, there is no question in our minds, we will return!! Our friends stayed at the Beacon, and they were so jealous of our room and hotel, they are convinced they will stay at the Pelican the next time also.

Post Katrina Pre VMA South Beach

by sunlovey

"MTV invades South Beach"

This is a little travelogue about South Beach, just after hurricane Katrina grazed its art deco streets and just before the MTV VMAs.... enjoy.

Wow.... felt a lot like Miami had been overran by the show "Pimp My Ride" ... Crowds flocked to South Beach with high hopes of spotting music royalty just two days after hurricane Katrina dumped rain on and blew some things around the city.

We hurridly headed for 1717 Collins to "Hotel MTV" (The Doubletree Surfcomber) to pick up our LifeBeat benefit concert tickets then strolled along the beach walk to the Pelican hotel (on Ocean) for a late lunch... and some UNIQUE people watching. Several ice cold beers and tasty bites later we headed west to Collins strolling the shops... You'll find Sephora, Urban Outfitters, Gap, Banana Republic, Armani Exchange, MAC, Quicksilver, 9 West and the like in this area...

A bit later we headed back over to Ocean Drive, up the vast white steps and into the swanky white, silver and neutral comforts of the Tides Hotel Lobby for some delicious mojitos...

We seemed to lose track of time at The Tides and ended up having to literally run back down to Hotel MTV in time for the LifeBeat show featuring DJ Earworm, Morningwood and ... The Bravery. What a nice little shin dig it was. The stage was set up at the end of the long swimming pool with the ocean just behind it.

It did decide to rain a couple songs into The Bravery's set. This prompted the bassist to take off his bass guitar and canon ball it into the pool directly in front of me. "If you'll stay, we'll continue to play..." the guitarist quipped, and the crowd did just that. What a brilliant set.

Brown Pelican, MiamiBrown Pelican, Miami

Which one of these Hotels would you choose?

by sue_stone

Dear Miami Beach experts

My husband & I are off to Miami for 4 nights in mid-March. The first 3 nights are part of a prize, and we are staying at the Tides Hotel, but still have to book somewhere for the 4th night.

After lots of research I have got it down to a short list of the following hotels:

Townhouse
The Park Central
Pelican Hotel
Beacon Hotel
(The) Hotel
Century Hotel

Has anyone stayed at any of these or heard anything good/bad about any of them?

Thanks very much

Sue

by mim95

We stayed at the Townhouse last time we were in Miami Beach. It's a neat hotel in a quiet area, a few steps to the beach and the nightlife. It's got a nice rooftop garden. And breakfast is self served and included in the price.

by Downtick

I have stayed in the Beacon before, I believe it's right down the street from the tides, on ocean dr. The Beacon is in the center of it all on ocean. I live not from from ocean dr, but that hotel was decent. It was no tides hotel, that's for sure, but the location couldn't be better.

by pulgaron

I would recomend The Clay Hotel, at Washington and Espaniola Dr. Go ahead and book ahead of time another hotel. During your three paid days, stop by the Clay and the area and see for yourself.
This is off the subject but as long as you will be in town I though I'll mention it. If you like stone crabs, stop by Joe's Stone Crabs for a real treat.

RE: RE: Which one of these Hotels would you choose?

by sue_stone

Thanks very much for your advice!

by TRimer

We stayed at The Hotel in January. It was wonderful. The rooms are nice, clean, modern. The hotel's restaurant, Wish, is fantastic. I really liked being in in that part of SOBE rather than up near Lincoln Road. Less seedy.

Comments