Penguin Hotel

Tags

Budget Travel Beaches
See Amenities

PENGUIN HOTEL YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 25, 2011

My stay at the Penguin Hotel was HORRIBLE! When I checked in, I had to put a security deposit of 150 dollars down that was not told to me and if your driving in be prepared to pay an additional fee for parking your car each day. O almost forgot to tell you that they also charge an additional 30 dollars for beach towels, 2 tickets for happy hour and 2 for breakfast, so even though the rate is cheap you would come out better staying at Lowes which doesn't nickel and dime you. If you book a double bed room be prepared to have only a queen because of over booking and to get a let out bed that would cost you another 25 dollars a day. Customer service was terrible, especially this lady who worked at the front desk had a very bad attitude. Service was terrible as well, if your looking for extra towels be prepared to have the answer no because housekeeping leaves at 6pm, and their is no ice machines in the hotel at all. This hotel reminded me of my years in college, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to any body. I know I stayed on the strip or Ocean drive which is directly across from the beach; however, if I walk to Collins and see those Hotels there I would recommend them.
My stay at this hotel is a 0 on the scale of 1-5!
Date I stayed was 8-18/ 8-22-2011

Inexpensive Art Deco Hotel South Beach

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 14, 2007

The Penguin Hotel is an inexpensive Art Deco style hotel in South Beach. The staff were very friendly. Do not expect top luxury at this price, we paid around $95 and for that rate it was good value, but at an inexpensive price it was not bad. Nice location.

JVANYC's Profile Photo

Cheap on the Beach

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 8, 2005

The elevator was broken during my stay, but it wasn't a big deal. Remember for the cheap price this is a fine place. The walls are thin and the amenities are few, but considering the price and that it is in PRIME location right on Ocean Drive you can't go too wrong if you are traveling on a budget.
Skip the breakfast downstairs, its not that great of a deal really. Head a few blocks south on Ocean Drive to the FABULOUS Tides Hotel for a free copy of the New York Times and pampered breakfast for pretty good price.

Unique Quality: RIGHT on Ocean Drive. Most of the rooms face the alley or the rear, only a select few are out the front viewing the beach. This is the kind of place to stay when you don't want to spend much time in your room but want to be in the HEART of the action.

Directions: South Beach in the Heart of the action

caddman11's Profile Photo

GOOD LOCATION, SMALL BUT INEXPENSIVE!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 2, 2004

The Penguin is a small 3 story hotel with one room on the fourth floor that also includes a terrace; the elevator only goes to the 3rd floor. Depending on how you book the room, it can be had for $125 in the off season. We had this room and it's not bad, but you had better watch your stuff. Our room got broke into and we lost clothes and other items. There is NO security; we were given the wrong key several times at the front desk. You can walk up to the desk, say a room number and they hand you a key, no ID needed; so you have to be careful. The alarms on the exit doors don't work either. We used the in room safe or we would have lost much more. No forced entry. They comped us a day for our loss. We would stay here again, but now I've learned a few more tricks on how to keep things that don't fit in the safe, safe.

Unique Quality: The hotel is ocean front with a view, right in the middle of everything. There is a sister hotel right behind the Penguin and it has a pool, but no sunlight to it and it's not much larger than a hot tub. Along this section of South Beach, there are very few pools because of land space.

Directions: Right in the middle of South Beach.

pulgaron's Profile Photo

South Beach, Miami Beach, The...

by written on September 7, 2002

South Beach, Miami Beach, The Penguin Hotel, 10th and Ocean Drive. Facing the ocean.
Since I live in Miami, I donot stay in many hotels. I will post the pictures for you so you have an idea of what the place looks like. Sidewalk cafe right in front of the hotel.
$100.00

Unique Quality: One of the famous Art deco style hotel.

Directions: Ocean(Deco)Drive, and 10th Street, South Beach, Miami Beach.

Nearby Penguin Hotel

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Miami Beach Travel Forum

Need advice about Miami Beach, Florida? Visit the Travel Forum for Miami Beach and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Miami Beach hotel reviews

Beachs of Miami
Use Uber or Lyft
Miami is a city..
Warnings and Dangers
Take me out to the Ball Game!
Alligator Wrestling
Relaxing at la Playa
Excellent Restaurant
Restaurants
It's all about people watching
La Sanwicheria
Miami Boat Rentals and Yacht Charters
Miami Beach Resident
South Beach Culinary Tour
miami liberty city
It’s Not That Bad
Warnings and Dangers
Theft is very bad down here
Art Deco Walking Tour
MIAMI FOOD TOURS
Downtown Miami
Things to Do
Best food,drinks and prices!!!!
Smile and Say Cheese on Lincoln Road
Things to Do
911 !!! It's an emergency!
Got a late night itch??
Shopping
Lincoln road mall
Shopping
Trendy and Gay
Restaurants
Visually appealing, but disappointing.
1220 Restaurant at The Tides