Ramada Marco Polo Beach Resort

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 27% less but rated 17% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Ramada Marco Polo Beach Resort

Good Value

Just back from a 5 night stay at the Marco Polo Beach Resort. We had an Oceanfront room on the 9th floor complete with fridge (regular size), stove and washer & dryer. The room's floor was tiled with an area rug so smell was not a problem.

Sure the walls could use some paint and some holes fixed (where pictures had been hung), but overall the room was fine. The beach and pool with the Poolside Cafe were great. The free Continental Breakfast was good and you could order regular breakfasts if you wanted to. The valet parking is a must and so convenient.

I checked around on Trip Advisor to find a good hotel and am very pleased we chose this one.

Bad choice

Reading all those different reviews about this hotel makes me wonder where are all those nice rooms that peope are talking about. The only clean thing in our room were sheets (well, I hope so), towels seemed like not being washed, bathroom definitly needs renovations, fridge was not cleaned at all...
Breakfast - only 2 toasters (one of them not properly working) on so many people, food - very, very poor, dirty tableware, not enough coffee for all...And there is that smell of mold everywhere.
The only thing that was ok for us was pool and the beach. Oh, yes, and the valet parking was ok.
This was the worst hotel in our 4-weeks vacation; you can do so much better for that kind of value.
So, stay away from this one, you might not get the right room.

Spectacular Views

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the hotel. The service was very good and the view from our room was spectacular. When we arrived on Monday, our room was not ready, but Pilar at the service desk found another ocean front room that was better than our assigned room. She had us placed in a corner room with a balcony -- so we had not only a beautiful view of the ocean, but a great view of the city. The view was spectacular and made up for any problems. The balcony had two chairs on it and we watched sunrise every morning.

The hotel room was basic, but spacious -- 2 queen beds, dresser, table and two chairs, 2 closets with plenty of hangars and space, a microwave, a kitchen sink area and a small fridge. The bathroom had a tub/shower combo and one sink. The beds were slightly uncomfortable, and strangely enough, the sheets did not tuck under, so that when you woke up in the morning, the sheets were off the bed. Each morning, a Miami Herald was placed outside our door.

On our first morning, we went to the free breakfast buffet. It was very basic -- muffins, danish, cereal. You could also order breakfast, which we did. The ordered breakfast was ok [the bacon actually was crisp], but the free coffee was absolutely horrible -- tasted like it had been sitting around for three days. My boyfriend and I explored the area, and ended up walking into town the rest of our stay to get breakfast -- Denny's and Wolfie's Rascal House. I'd actually recommend walking into town, although most people thought it strange that we walked [the hotel is located at 19200 Collins Avenue and the restaurants located in Sunny Isles are roughly around 17000 through 17400]. The walk went by quickly and on one occasion we walked back on the beach.

The pool is right on the beach and there were plenty of lounge chairs to lay on. The fitness center looked nice, if small. There also is shuffleboard and ping pong. We played ping pong one day, but since the winds were strong the day we played, it was a bit tough. Also, the paddles were well-worn. The pool was cleaned every morning and is on the large side if a little cold --- colder than the ocean, so we opted to swim in the ocean. There is a Poolside Lounge at which you can buy drinks and lite fare. The food was surprisingly good [the quesadillas and cheese fries were good as well as the hot dog]. We tried a cosmopolitan which was a bit too strong for my taste, but the Daiquiris were very good. The beach by the hotel is absolutely beautiful -- the hotel had plenty of towels and you could request a lounge and umbrella on the beach.

There also is a pizza place inside the hotel, which served fairly good thin crust pizza. After five pm, they will deliver to the room -- the pizza arrived within 30 minutes of our ordering. There is also a store that sells postcards, etc for anything you forgot. The lobby was nicely maintained with plenty of plush seats. It could get somewhat crowded in the morning. There also is an atm in the lobby. The staff were friendly and pleasant throughout our stay. I think they might be short-staffed, though. Our room often was not cleaned until after noon. Can't say we were bothered by that as our maid always left plenty of towels and cleaned the room well each time. But, if you want prompt service with the room cleaning, this might present a problem.

On one night, we visited the Hotel lounge, where the bartender makes much better drinks than the Poolside Lounge bartender. It's very quiet in there during the week, but they have entertainment on friday and saturday night -- a jazz pianist.

The valets were very prompt with the car -- our car usually was returned to us within five minutes. On one occasion, there was a bit of a line at the valet, and it took ten minutes [to be fair -- there was construction on collins avenue and a number of guests were leaving and arriving at that time]. Valets rushed to open doors and help with packages and luggage.

Check out was pleasant and easy. I would stay there again.

Great location but smelly rooms!!!

by TripAdvisor Member shelleyr25

Well, its been said before but I will say it again...the rooms smell of mold!!! Stayed 11/22 thru 11/26/04 and all that was said in previos posts is true. The location is great as well as the pool and beach but the rooms are in serious need of some dehumidification!!! They are extremely musty smelling and even the carpets are moist to the touch. You cant walk around in socks or your feet will be wet within minutes. Our master suite on the 10th floor as well as my BIL's on the 8th both had the same problem. If you ignore this fact the hotel is just fine.
Although we were there on a holiday week (Thanksgiving) we had no problems with housekeeping, pool towels or chaises. The common areas were clean and well maintained. The complimentary breakfast was just fine as long as you werent looking for anything too fancy. Cereal and a muffin suited us just fine.
I was quite pleased with the gym, once again it was clean and up to date with tv's and a stereo and modern equiptment.

For the money we spent ($136) for the master suite I would say that you get what you pay for...as long as the weather is good and you dont need to spend too much time in your room its a good bang for the buck!! If you have serious allergies I would avoid the place like the plaque due to the mold problem.

Top week!!

by TripAdvisor Member Thorneywork

Stayed from 2nd Nov - 9th Did not hire a car and was glad as buses were frequent and cheap, plus no parking concerns.

The room had a balcony and partial sea veiw on the 8th floor which was great - I had read reviews prior to leaving on trip adviser and it seemed worth alittle extra cost to get a sea view evan partial as the rooms seemed to be superior.

Value for money was great - Hotel was fine but spent most of my time on the beach which was a star or out and about in Miami which was a fantastic place and would have liked more time.

The only gripe the cost of a couple of phone calls home from my room, but after some negoitation I got it down to just day light robbery, but as the value of the hotel was about 35 dollers a night with breakfast, I wrote it off as a tip so not to leave upset as that would have been a shame. Considering Ba took 3 days to get my luggage and myself reunited it was a short break, it was a fantastic adventure and most of all it was the 85 degrees and really pleasant humidy which meant I could switch the air conditioning off at night as it was a shade noisey.

four day stay

stayed in this beach front hotel for four nights..... room was clean, well-maintained... had a partial view , continential breakfast is ok, cereals, breads, fruit and coffee.... wait staff is very nice and efficient... pool area is very nice, there is a bar and grill located on the pool deck area, beach is steps away...... I would definitely stay again, price is well worth it.

In regards to the negative issues, the "parking service' is NOT owned by the hotel, they are from some contracted service, they are pushy, and never told me there was FREE parking across the street... there is FREE parking across the street, under the underpass... it is well lit at night and only steps away from the hotel... the parking fee's are 10.00 a day plus tips, and than you must wait for the runnr to get the car.... if you don't plan on driving around much in the area, take the bus, they run all day..plus, eating establishments are within bus or walking distance... try the Blue Cafe, excellent prices and food was great!!!!!! beach area is well maintained and clean.

Not any more!

It was a good stay until last night of December 10, 2004. The hotel had a private party in its restaurant which has started at midnight and ended at 4 AM! The music was so loud that I believe nobody could sleep that night! The entire building was vibrating because of this so called “music”. I’ve called the front desk to complain, but the answer was “It’s a private party and nothing we can do!”
Come on! How much money did the hotel make that night so they just ignored all hotel’s customers? We should be offered this night free for this kind of “hospitality”.
We are not going to stay in this hotel any more, that’s for sure.

A great Value, and a great place!

We stayed at the Marco Polo Dec 3rd through the 10th. We booked this trip through expedia, and after reading some of the reviews people had left I was a little worried. I thought we were going to be staying in a run down, smelly, mold creepin out at night and attacking you in your sleep hotel. Quite the contrary! The Marco Polo is a very nice place to stay. I found it clean and comfortable. Our room was spacious with two queen size beds and had a fridge/microwave/sink, and coffee maker. We did have a small problem our first night with the shower, but the staff responded very quickly and had us moved within minutes, and the room was even nicer. We had a balcony with a partial ocean view, and a city view. I found the whole hotel clean. The staff were all very nice and most accommidating. The hotel has a nice little shop downstairs with beach necessities, and other personal items. There is also a pizza shop with great pizza. There are two salons and a little boutique and art gallery. I was very impressed with the pool area. I think that it is the nicest pool I have ever been in. It was sparkling clean, but not over chlorinated, and heated to perfection. There were plenty of beach chairs and towells. And yes the towells were a little thin, but they didn't mind if you took more than one. The security was great. The valet parking was a nice service also. They also offer an extended checkout time if needed and space is available. The Marco Polo goes above and beyond. Have no reservations about staying here. If in Miami again, I will definitely stay at the Marco Polo.

Only if you like taxis

by TripAdvisor Member crazeeems

As a hotel it was comfortable and clean and the Concierge was fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. It has a lovely pool and leads straight onto the beach, the problem is that it is on North beach and there is nothing there. Subsequently we spent a lot of money on taxis getting ourselves to South Beach where all of the action is. The buses are also good (the far was $1.20 and a tip is that you have to have the eaxct change because they don't accept anything else) and we used them during the day but didn't feel comfortable using them later at night. It took about 45 minutes to get from the hotel to South Beach and therefore dinner reservations etc had to be booked late just in case we got stuck in traffic. Having said that the taxi drivers, as with everyone we met in Miami, were extremely helpful and acted as tour guides quite happily for us. If you just want a beach holiday then it would be a fine location, and the Aventura mall is 10 minutes away which is a MUST it was amazing and so cheap because of the good exchange rate at the moment. Plus the Christmas decorations were worth a trip across the ocean in themselves.

Not what I would call a REsort!!

I do think that this hotel has a huge amount of potential, but is in great need of MAJOR renovations. The lobby looks very nice, but during my stay a musty smell got increasingly worse. I was on the 11th floor. My room had a wonderful view from the balcony, but the bed looked as though it was built of plywood and didn't feel much better. The hallway on my floor left alot to be desired as well. Unless those renovations are done, I would not stay here on my next trip to Miami.

MusicMusic

Parking in SoBe baby!Parking in SoBe baby!

D feels like she's home with a couple maibocksD feels like she's home with a couple maibocks

Miami blue skiesMiami blue skies

a wedding in villa viscaya

by chrisandjess22

to whom this may concern:
when I was about ten years old, I was in a summercamp program and one of our big field trips was to go to the villa viscaya mansion. while I was there, I would find myself getting lost in the beautiful features of this home. I was wondering, since it was such a romantic and enchanting place, is it possible for weddings to be held there? when we were there about eleven or so years ago, there was a girl taking her quince pictures around the garden. i think i remember a tour guide stating that weddings were held, but things may have changed over time. anyway, please let me know, because i would love to know! thank you,
--jessica

Re: a wedding in villa viscaya

by donato1899

Vizcaya can be rented for weddings. $750.00 for up to 25 people during the day.
This is the link for all the details, look under rentals and permits.

Re: a wedding in villa viscaya

by rmdw

Jessica,

I was there last month. Absolutely gorgeous! And there was one bride and one model wearing a bridal gown having their photos taken.

I think another great place for a wedding would be the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables.

Robert