3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Richmond Hotel

Enjoyed the Richmond Hotel

My wife and I stayed at the Richmond Hotel June 17, 2004 through June 20, prior to going on a cruise. I had read the reviews of the hotel after I made the reservations, so I was worried. However, we found the hotel delightful. The people were very friendly. The room was fine - it was clean and looked newly renovated. The air conditioning worked well - we actually turned it off a couple of times because it was a little too cool. But most of the time it was pleasant.
We found it odd that there were no drawers for our clothes - but, since we were only there a few days, the shelves in the closet were fine for us.
The location was great - just walk out the back and you are on the beach. We went to the Lincoln Road Mall several times and had a great time.
We had breakfast at the hotel once and it was fine. We actually more enjoyed having breakfast a couple of doors down the street at L' Omlette because we could sit outside and watch the people walk by - the food was good also.
Overall, the Richmond was a great value and we would go there again.

Good value for the price and location

We stayed at the Richmond Hotel April ,2004. The room we stayed in was clean, the furniture was art Deco. The air conditioning system was more like an air cooler system, an antique in its own right, but my son was intrigued by it. I could see where it could get really hot in those rooms in August, April was not so bad though. The hotel is right on the beach. The pool was really nice. It was only two blocks from Lincoln Road where all the shopping and resturants are. We paid around 85 dollars a night for two people plus 20 dollars a day for parking /valet service. Believe me we left our car parked. You don't want to drive in Miami beach, its very congested. It was a good value for the price we paid. I would stay there again. The staff were helpful and friendly also.

Bad Reviews Are Unfounded......

My new husand and I stayed 5 nights in the Richmond Hotel from 5th June 2004 for part of our honeymoon. I read the bad reviews after booking the hotel on the internet so I was a little worried about what we might find when we got there!. However, the reviews are completely unfounded and we found nothing wrong with the standard room we stayed in; the air con worked - sometimes it was too cold and the pool and spa were lovely. The one and only complaint I would have is that the walls are thin and you can hear next door's toilet flushing and occasional talking. Overall the hotel staff were friendly, the room and pool were cleaned regularly and we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

I guess we got lucky...

My partner and I booked a miami vacation package, which included roundtrip airfare and a 3 nt. stay at the Richmond from 5/13-5/17 2004 for $236. Obviously, that was an amazing deal. Afterward I began reading reviews of the Richmond hotel. I was mortified by the multitude of negative reviews. However, when we arrived, check-in took 5 minutes and the staff was polite during the process. The manager informed us that our room
"just had work done the day before" when he handed us our room key. I was scared of what that meant. When we got to our room we were pleasantly surprised to find what must have been a completely remodeled room, right down to the fresh white paint on the walls. The room was immaculate. The white sheets, pillows, and comforter were very clean. It was exactly like the pictures on the internet. We called for an extra washcloth and within minutes the staff brought us at least 5 extra clean towels of various sizes. There were no stains on the floor, the chair, etc. Our air conditioning was not only turned on when we got in the room, but it was so cool that we had to turn it down after the first evening. The bathroom was small but not to the point where you couldn't navigate. It too was spotless. We didn't even hear any noise from other rooms. The entire time we kept waiting for all of the things to happen from the reviews but they never did. After the pleasant experience we had, it seemed like we stayed in a completely different hotel than those who had horrible experiences.

We didn't have much interaction with the staff. Also, we never attempted to eat any meals at the hotel. The pool and beach access were amazing! We were truly blessed with the room and had a wonderful stay because of it. We were in room 206, on the first floor. I wouldn't doubt that rooms on higher floors are not as nice though. It seems like it is hit or miss with the Richmond. Would we try to go back to the Richmond and have that same good fortune? Probably not, unless we could request the same room. However, most of the hotels adjacent to the Richmond on Collins avenue looked like they offered the same thing. So, for the price we paid, which was mere pennies, it was a huge victory. For those who weren't so lucky, best of luck next time. In summary, I would say go with the safe bet if you have other hotel options in Miami. However, the location of the Richmond was perfect for access to the beaches, clubs, restaurants, shopping, and convention center. Don't rent a car unless you really need to travel outside of south beach: you won't need it and there is nowhere to park it for free. Hope this helps.

HOT and UNFRIENDLY

I stayed at the Richmond the first weekend of May this year. From the outside it looks like a great hotel, but once inside it all fell apart. We went up to the front desk and there was one person in front of us checking in. There were two people behind the counter; one was helping the person in front of me the other was talking to valet parking person about what she did last night. I waited 10 minutes for the person in front of me to check in and the other hotel staff never stopped talking about her personal life to check me in. Finally after checking in we got up to our hotel room. The room is what you would expect from an old art deco building, a little small and nicely appointed. The air conditioning is the worst thing about the hotel; forget about the rude staff. Being in Miami you would expect the your hotel would have a good air conditioning system. The hotel has an archaic central air system. There is no thermostat to adjust the temperature in your room. All you have is a black knob on the wall that would open and close a vent on the wall. Even with it fully open there was no cool air coming and we found out from the oh so friendly staff at the front desk that the air conditioning was broken. They said it would be fixed as soon as possible; it was out all weekend from Friday until we left on Monday afternoon.
Good Things: The pool is very nice and so is the access to the beach. The Hotel has a great location close to everything. Overall though I would take you business elsewhere, you could find a better hotel with air conditioning and a lot friendlier staff.

Dirty, nasty, dirty....

I got this hotel through hotels for a great price and it was a 3 star hotel. But when I arrived the room was absolutley gross!!! Stains on the carpet, rust on the blinds, dirt on the walls, and NO dresser to put your clothing. To top it off it had a horrible smell. Mildew like smell. I just HAD to get out so they did put me in a slighty better room but I checked out the very next day and went to the lovely hotel called the Claridge at 3500 Collins which was comparible in price BUT very clean!!!

Don't pay 2 star price and expect 5 star service

by TripAdvisor Member nychico

Let me start by saying I booked this hotel first and then I read the reviews on this site. It almost got me really dreading on staying here, but, I couldnt cancel. So I went the week of May 12. When I arrived, I found a very simple hotel. The checkin was pretty smooth, the front desk agent was friendly. When I got to my room, I was dreading what it might look like because of all the reviews I read. It was very simple, nothing special. It wasnt spectacular or dirty, but, clean, acceptable, and comfortable. Exactly what I paid for, and also I did not get an upgrade. The room was perfectly acceptable. The pool was great, the jacuzzi was even better. The access to the beach was the best part. The air conditioning did work, but wasnt very strong, but, I was only in my room to sleep anyway, not spend my entire time in beautiful south beach in a hotel room. If you are going to Miami to enjoy your time, get away, and, you are not a demanding person but expect just regular, friendly service, with a decent room then you should come here. The problem I think with the people that have reviewed prior to this, are people that expect way too much. If you pay about $90 a night dont expect the service you would get at, lets say, the Ritz-Carlton. And besides I have travelled alot and I have seen alot of guests in hotels that over exaggerate situations when things dont go there way or when they dont get something they want. The important thing is not to be influenced by what possibly may be an overly dramatic person who pays pennies and expects the world, and then wants to complain to everyone because they didnt get what they want. You get what you pay for, plain and simple. And the Richmond is exactly that, and so is every other hotel in the world for that matter.

Was worried from other reviews but.....

I was worried after reading some terrible reviews about the hotel but my stay was great. I stayed June 25-28. The Hotel looked nice, The room was very nice and Modern looking. My toilet made the weirdest noise when we flushed but as long as everything went down and not up we were fine. I didnt eat breakfast there cause it was about 10 bucks for crackers and cheese and cereal. But there was plenty to eat around the area. I recommend Jerry's Famous Deli on 15th or 16th street and Collins. Great breakfast. The pool was nice and the beach was right there. I had a wonderful time and would definitely stay there again.

Good value for the price

We stayed at the Richmond over the 4 July long weekend in 2004. We were looking for a good alternate (read: cheaper!) option for guests who will be attending our wedding to be held at the much more luxurious (and expensive) Raleigh hotel next door later that year.

The location of the Richmond is great - right on the beach near the Shore Club, Delano, Raleigh, Lincoln Road etc but we were somewhat worried after reading some of the reviews in this site. Luckily, we did not experience any of the major problems specified in several of the negative reviews (and being that the hotel was booked out for the 4 July weekend, if anything was to go wrong, the probability that it would occur on this weekend was high!).

We paid $107 per night (book through expedia or hotels.com - the hotel will charge a much higher rate. Even when we approached them and asked if they could match the website rates, they refused to do so). The room was small, but clean and the decor was modern (white art deco style). Everything worked in the room - TV, air conditioning, bathroom facilities, clock radio - no problems. They have a huge walk-in closet with a safe and there is a hair drier, iron and ironing board in the room. No mini bar though. The room attendants were very attentive and polite. The reception staff are, granted, a bit slow, but friendly none the less.

There is no concierge so don't expect good hook-ups with any of the hard to get into clubs (VERY important in South Beach if you want to guarantee entry and not spend hours in line - the more upscale, trendy hotels, like the Delano, ShoreClub and National, have direct access to the VIP guest lists for the hottest clubs). They do have a drawer full of free entry vouchers but they are for the less popular places and I wouldn't bother.

A couple of issues: they have a nice enough pool and hot tub, however they only have about 6 sun lounges! Very strange, and naturally it meant that your chances of getting one were very slim. PLEASE RICMOND, SPEND A COUPLE OF BUCKS AND BUY SOME MORE SUN LOUNGES!!!!

Also, despite having direct beach access, they have no arrangement for providing chairs/towels/drinks etc on the beach. Therefore you will have to pay $20 per person for a sun lounge and you will need to bring your own towel. There are several private vans which serve non-alcoholic beverages and food on the beach (and provide waitress service) so you can get yourself a drink and a bite to eat (as could be expected for a hotel in this price range, the Richmond does not send its wait staff out to help you). It's not really a big deal until you see the wait staff from other hotels bringing scrumptious frozen drinks out to their guests!

The lack of beach service is probably because the Richmond really only ever has one wait-person on duty. Another problem is that the extremely small cafe was only open for breakfast and lunch with an extremely limited menu (despite reports to the contrary). Their menu states that they serve beer, wine, spirits etc and 'please ask for your favourite beverage'. However, when we were there they only had beer and vodka the entire 4 days we were there. This was hard for us to comprehend as surely it's not too difficult to get out and buy a few bottles of chardonnay?

They do not provide service by the pool but if you get in before the cafe closes after lunch (around 2pm) you can get yourself a drink. Otherwise, you'll have to BYO!

Despite these issues, you can't beat the location, rooms, beach access and pool for the price. Compare to other similarly priced hotels (ie: like Townhouse, Whitlaw, Aqua etc) and they just can't compare. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! You just need to figure out whether you want to pay $400 plus per night to get better pool service, concierge, meals and sun lounges! :) We'd definitiely go without these extras to save $300 per night.

A great experience at the Richmond

by TripAdvisor Member WCurry

I must admit that I to was very worried about the previous reviews I had read about the hotel. So much so I tried to get out of the reservation, but it was non refundable.

First the hotel is a good three star. Second the pool is wonderful;clean and easy to get to. From the pool to the beach is about 100 yards. The entire staff was very friendly from the front desk to the maids. But our favorite was the chef and wait staff in the resturant(open for breakfast and lunch during off season). The food is great and reasonable. Pablo the chef is funny and will fix almost anything you want. They use real turkey on the club sandwiches. He cares about his guest. One afternoon we went in about 2:30, we were politely advised that they close at 2 during off season but they would make us something, what would we like.

The over all location of the hotel is great just a few blocks from Lincoln Road(great shopping & Food) we recommend the Lincoln Road Cafe for Cuban food. Also Jerry's Deli, good service and great Deli food. Lots of shops and 2 big drug stores in the area.

The richmond has small refrigrators in the room so save money and fill them up with food or pop which can be found with in two blocks.

All in all we will go back again and enjoy the staff and facilities, they were great.

by GUYON

After a long search, we have chosen the Richmond hotel for our November vacation in Miami Beach.
Why ? : because : it is close to South Beach and Art Deco district, it has a direct access to the beach and its price (166$ per night tax included) seams fair.
Have you a personal experience of this hotel ?
Do you know an alternative which matches our request ?
Thanks

RAY

Re: Richmond Hotel

by YVRDave

I have a client that stays there 3 times a year. He loves it for location and quiet.

Comments