Riviera Suites

Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Poor Customer Service - Avoid

We arrived in Miami after an unusually long delay in the customs line and (as both a courtesy and a precaution) immediately telephoned the hotel to inform them of our arrival and to enquire about their shuttle service. We were told by Natasha that the shuttle only departs from Concourse G (we were at D); this was at 8:55 p.m. and the shuttle apparently departs promptly at 9 p.m. We sprinted to G and by 9:03 p.m. (at the latest) the shuttle must have already departed. Telephoned Natasha again who said it must have just left, that the next one wasn't until 11 p.m., and that there was no way for her to have contacted the shuttle driver to let him/her know that two guests were literally seconds away. Had we known this in advance (or even after the first phone conversation) we would have just taken a taxi and spared ourselves the hassle and frustration without any resentment. Instead we received apathy and attitude. Natasha then claimed that the shuttle schedule is on the hotel website -- this was a lie; I checked the website (again) from my iPhone in the taxi we ultimately had to take.

When we finally arrived at the hotel Natasha was unapologetic and defensive. She did, however, make sure to tell us about their complimentary breakfast (despite the fact that we told her repeatedly that we were leaving at 5:30 a.m.) and wouldn't shut up about it until she went through the entire list of hotel services, which were obviously closed during the hours of our brief stay. Someone please give this girl a watch ... and a lesson in customer service.

We travel frequently and have never written a poor review of our accommodations before but to us this is unacceptable. What if we had been elderly, carrying lots of luggage, not computer literate, or with poor English proficiency? Expecting us to know the schedule in advance and/or race to a shuttle that we clearly had no chance of catching would then have been not only foolish but downright mean-spirited.

The room was indeed dark, as previous reviewers have noted, and the walls are quite thin and therefore not ideal for light sleepers. Nevertheless the room was clean and acceptably stocked. Honestly, we do not understand the rave reviews of this hotel. The rooms, lobby architecture, amenities and location are all good but certainly there are others that would meet or exceed what should be standard for high-end tourist destinations.

Not impressed.

• Switcharoo

Like others that have written on here I go to check in and they inform me that they are switching me to a sister hotel. The reason given was the AC was out in my room. But I had booked via hotwire. It was obvious by the clerks actions that they do this on a regular basis. After reading other reviews I am guessing they do this to fill up the trashy sister hotels. They put me up in the Tradewinds. These are apartments that you can rent by the month or by the day. They are half way done renovating them so my room was clean but not the best location and the renters are loud and like to throw a lot of parties.
    My suggestion is if you book off of a deal site like Expedia or Hotwire is to avoid this place.

Unique Quality: None

Directions: Central South Beach

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

A glamourous Art Deco hotel

Riviera Suites is a fantastic hotel located in Miami South Beach, very close the thw wonderful white beach and the amazing Ocean Drive.
    The hotel is a late Art Deco building built in the 1940's which was restored and turn to an hotel.
    The rooms are mini apartments with gourmet kitchens with dining area, pillow top custom beds, terry cloth robes, oversized bathrooms with separate entrances to both living room and bedroom, custom designed wood and ivory tufted leather furniture in living room and dining room, premium minibar, queen sleeper sofa, espresso hardwood floors and two 42'' plasma televisions (in the photos you can see the dining room with the bed sofa and the bedroom). The triple room have a King size bed and a sofa bed.
    In the hotel there are many amenities which enjoy your stay there like Continental Breakfast (included for all guests), pool and wireless Internet access
    The staff was very friendly and I spent two fantastic days here.

Unique Quality: The room was very big: three people can move very well. Riviera Suites offers a continental breakfast (free) for all guests: there you can taste orange juices, fruits, yogurt, cereals, bread and coffee.
    The hotel has a pool (3 feet deep) which is the ideal to relax during the hot-humid summer. A free internet wi-fi is allowed to all guests.
    A cocktails nightly is served free at Catalina Beach Club from 7-8 p.m.

More about Riviera Suites

Don't listen to the naysayers -- Riviera South Beach is fun and nice

by TripAdvisor Member Keithcu

I stayed a week at the Riviera SB while in Miami on business. It scored high marks on all aspects important to me.

Location: unbeatable for the price. The hotel is just a two blocks off the beach and walking distance to the center of all South Beach hot spots, particularly those on Lincoln Road.

Style: The rooms were very stylish and I felt a little cooler just hanging out there. Yes, it's a little dark -- OMG -- get over it. W Hotels have popularized this low-mood-lighting ambiance, which is greatly preferable to the doctor's office feel of some hotel lighting. Personally, I liked it. I open the windows (of which there are plenty) if I need more light.

Quality: High marks. The bed was very comfortable. I had two nice flat screen TVs and a good quality iPod docking station. I also liked the shower and mini-kitchen.

Amenities: the breakfast was pretty good and I liked the pool-side scene where you eat. Also, the lack of a liquor license is a bonus -- you can bring your own wine and have a drink pool-side before heading out. It was a nice way to relax. The free drinks at the nearby partner hotel worked fine for me and had the effect of increasing the size of the happy hour beyond the little Riviera crowd.

A business center would have been nice and there wasn't really a concierge service -- two very minor criticisms.

Here's a tip: While staying at Riviera, Make sure to eat at Ola, which is just a block away on quiet James Avenue. Amazing food and style.

Okay but not Great

by TripAdvisor Member bcball

There were many things that I liked about this new property, but just as many problems came up during our stay. The room size and amenities were exceptional. The separate sitting room, kitchen and 2 flat screen tvs were a big plus, but the strange odor and dark, dark ambience made me think we were coming home to a "cave." Sorry, I can't agree with a reviewer that you can just open the curtains because we were on the first floor with a sidewalk just a few feet away. Many times we just needed the privacy. We did like the simple breakfast that was served by the pool each day and the location which was just blocks away from the beach or the nightlife, but still in a quiet neighborhood. I had done my research before we left and knew that there was no restaurant, spa, or concierge and we did find the staff very friendly. We got a great grand opening deal, so the value was good for the price, but I'm not sure I would stay at the Riviera South Beach again.

Do not stay here!

by TripAdvisor Member kristenfromcanada

Do not stay at the Riviera Hotel South Beach! We stayed there January 16-19 and had a horrible experience. We were on the 3rd floor and requested to move rooms due to loud construction directly above us. The assistant manager was extremely rude and refused to help us. Only after making a fuss 12 hours later to the front desk staff did we move rooms. The staff were very unprofessional and by no means is this a 4* establishment. Further to this terrible experience, I was charged an unauthorized fee on my credit card. I have spent nearly a month trying to get to the bottom of this charge but no one has responded or dealt with it. I do not recommend this hotel - especially since there are so many premium choices in South Beach!

Hidden Gem

by TripAdvisor Member karmicflower

The pros: nice staff, gorgeous hotel, large rooms, ipod docking station, plasma tvs, kitchenette, continental breakfast, beautiful & comfy lounge area by the pool, valet, close to sister hotel the catalina beach club which has lots of restaurants and close to shopping. Cons: thin walls (noisy at times), no onsite restaurant or room service, ice machine is by the pool, elevator is really slow. Overall i really liked the hotel and would stay there again. Hopefully by then their restaurant will be open.

Lovely hotel with great staff and location

by TripAdvisor Member MomonMove

Just got back from a 4 day trip with friends and I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly. The suite was clean, large, comfortable and more than met our needs. The location was excellent - couple of blocks from the beach and boardwalk and Lincoln Road. Rooms are dark and have limited storage space (ours had no bureau), but we made do with the shelves in the closet and counter in the bedroom. The walls are thin, causing one sleepless night (Saturday), but hotel staff quickly dealt with issue when called.

Amazing hotel ...

by TripAdvisor Member SassyShads

Had an absolutely brilliant time at this hotel. Only stayed here for a few of days on transit. Decor and furnishings are luscious. The staff are very friendly, all very smiley and helpful. It is a really good location to get to the beach (like a 2 minute walk) and very near ocean drive where there are lots of bars, cafes and restaurants. The shore club and Nikki Beach are great bars. The hotel is also near the shopping areas. I stayed at the hotel with a friend and the one bed room suite was very spacious, giving us enough space for each of us. Really good customer service at the hotel. Definitely a good hotel to stay in and wish I could have stayed for a longer period. Would definitely return.

Best accommodations in South Beach

by TripAdvisor Member lasanto2002

The Riviera had the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. With the tall headboard, it was also pleasant to sit up in bed and watch the 42" flat screen tv. I appreciated having the iPod player so I could play my own music, and the kitchenette was fully equipped. We had gone to Jerry's deli one night, where they always give you too much food, so we were able to bring it back and keep it in the refrigerator and heat it for a snack the next day. Continental breakfast by the pool was also nice, with fresh oj, coffee, yogurt, fruit, and muffins. You can also take your coffee up to the rooftop deck, which is a great relaxing hideaway, nicely furnished. We nearly cried when we had to leave, as it is the best place we have ever stayed in South Beach.

Not good value - even with a discount!

by TripAdvisor Member CostaRicangirls

We chose the Riveria South Beach because we had a promotion which meant we paid (alledgedly) half price for the apartment/suite. However, although newly refurbished (in parts) it was dark, had a very oppressive/overbearing smell, staff did not go out of their way to be helpful, so much so we had to arrange our own transport, bags and when requested, bill was not ready making us late for our transfer. We also now have an additional charge to our credit card which we have no idea what it is for and so far despite several attempts have had no response to this query. Apartment/suite are spacious and pretty well equipped but very dark making you feel you want to be outside rather than inside! Breakfast arrangements by European standards, let alone by American standards are poor eg, bought-in muffins and a toaster with bread to make your own toast and flask to make your own coffee next to the very small insignificant and shaded pool. All in all, there are many other better, cheaper (if not better quality) places to stay in Miami.

Its like having your own apartment!

by TripAdvisor Member trooperdogCT

We loved the huge room that felt more like an apartment. It was the biggest hotel room we have ever stayed in and we have traveled quite a bit. The bed was the best..so comfortable it was hard to stay up late! The rooms are quite dark, but I agree with another review..open a curtain or get out of your room.. you shouldnt be hanging around in there during the day..its south beach - go outside. Location is close to the beach and Lincoln street which is a must to visit for people watching, shopping and happy hour specials all day long! Is it the best location..not really, but its def not bad either! Staff tried to be helpful, but seemed a bit new and confused...hopefully they will get it together with some time. Enjoyed the simple breakfast by the pool each morning. PS. If you want a fun place to eat I highly recommend a quick taxi ride to Texas de Brazil.. about 50 a person you get unlimited salad bar (50 +items) and all the meat you can eat. Its an awesome experience. Had a great time, loved the promotional rate of 150 a night..well worth every penny. Would I pay 3 something a night.. no I'd look closer to Ocean Drive or Collins for a larger, upscale hotel with nice ammenties.

Comments