Shelborne Beach Resort

Average Value

Price and Rating Equal to similar hotels

See Popular Hotels

Robbed by the Pool

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 2, 2009

As we went into the pool, my wallet was taken out of my beach bag. We don’t understand who/when/how they did it. It was lunch-time, the pool area had some 10 customers, and about 5 employees (waiters, towel monitors, security personnel) and a security-camera. But when I asked around, suddenly NOBODY SAW ANYTHING…

The thieves took all the cash that I had brought for our vacation, and my jewelry. They were kind enough to drop my wallet by the beach.

Someone returned my wallet but the Front Desk NEVER told me that they had recovered my wallet until an employee –who asked not to be named- alerted me to the fact that my wallet had been returned.

I spoke to the Manager, Front Desk, Security: nobody showed any empathy, and that seemed strange. When I complained on the phone to the General Manager, he kept repeating: “YOU did all wrong”. (Because I did not use the room’s safe-deposit-box). Note: The room was dirty, full of small orange roaches, the bathroom was filthy, the bath towels stained; frankly, the safe deposit box didn’t give me any peace of mind and I thought I better carried everything with me.-

As a result, my Dad suffered a mini-stroke and we ended up in the Emergency Room. My Dad was stabilized but had to remain at the Hotel in Miami a few more days until medically clear to travel. For personal reasons, I had to leave Miami two days later.

We approached the General Manager and asked him if he spoke Spanish, he said he did not. I asked him if he could extend some common courtesies to my my Dad since he was in his 70’s and didn’t speak English. His response was “That’s not my problem”. As he turned his back and left, my Dad cursed him in Spanish. The Manager immediately turned his back and, in perfect Spanish, defended his manhood (attacked by my Father’s insult!).

Please readers, don’t even bother to read the reply from the Hotel -if any- because I expect it to be a bunch of lies. The Police even told me these robberies might be “inside jobs”. If you go there, bring extra soap and watch your belongings.

danslamode Jul 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM

The most miserable excuse for a hotel ever. They think they can pimp out the lobby a bit and call themselves a resort?

I stayed there last summer because of the proximity to Miami Fashion Week. Inside the room, there was a broken chair already collapsed on the floor, patched (almost) cracks on the walls and ceiling.

The staff was beyond clueless and incompetent. They couldn't tell where anything was or where any events were that were advertised.

Against my better judgment, I booked it again back in May for this July. Only TODAY ( a week before I am supposed to arrive) do they inform me that they are closing the hotel then, and now I have to scramble and pay 3X the price for another room.

CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!!! Even if you think you have confirmed a booking, they will screw you over at the last minute!!!

Nearby Shelborne Beach Resort

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

Miami Beach Travel Forum

Need advice about Miami Beach, Florida? Visit the Travel Forum for Miami Beach and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Miami Beach hotel reviews

Wolfsonian
Use Uber or Lyft
Miami is a city..
Warnings and Dangers
Take me out to the Ball Game!
Alligator Wrestling
Relaxing at la Playa
Excellent Restaurant
Restaurants
It's all about people watching
La Sanwicheria
Miami Boat Rentals and Yacht Charters
Miami Beach Resident
South Beach Culinary Tour
miami liberty city
It’s Not That Bad
Warnings and Dangers
Theft is very bad down here
Art Deco Walking Tour
MIAMI FOOD TOURS
Downtown Miami
Things to Do
Best food,drinks and prices!!!!
Smile and Say Cheese on Lincoln Road
Things to Do
911 !!! It's an emergency!
Lincoln road mall
Shopping
Trendy and Gay
Restaurants
Visually appealing, but disappointing.
1220 Restaurant at The Tides