The Strand Ocean Drive

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 26% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about The Strand Ocean Drive

The Strand Ocean Drive - Fantastic!!

by TripAdvisor Member cathealy

We stayed at the Strand in September and would definitely go back as well as recommend to others.

From the minute we arrived the staff were extremely helpful. We were shown to our standard room with kitchen which was beautiful. After being in the room for a short while we discovered that the TV wasn’t working. We let the staff know and they immediately sent someone up to see to it. After the technician looking at the TV he decided that it couldn’t be fixed quickly enough so he contacted reception to get us another room. They told us to get our stuff together and they would send a porter up to assist us. When they called they informed us that due to the inconvenience of our TV not working in the first room (That we'd been in for all of 10minutes) they would be upgrading us to a 1 bedroom suite! The suite was amazing! It had separate living and dining area, large bathroom and bedroom as well as 2 balconies. They kitchen had absolutely everything you could ask for.

The suite we had was on the side of the building so we could see on to ocean drive. The only slight issue would be the noise of the music from the Bar downstairs, which on weekend nights did go on till around 3am.

Our stay at the strand was fantastic! The pool was always a perfect temperature and there were always plenty of sun loungers to go round. The beach couldn’t be nearer.

While at the Strand we ate at the restaurant, Atlantis that is joined on to the hotel. The food and cocktails were great!

Overall our stay at the strand was most enjoyable and we would definitely go back!

Great location if you like the party scene!

by TripAdvisor Member bice710

The Strand Ocean Drive is a very chic, stylish hotel right in the heart of South Beach. It's a litte difficult to find because they don't have signs on the outside, until you get right up next to the door. Look at the photos of it online and then you'll be able to spot it right away...the Cheeseburger place is in front. There's municipal parking on 13th and Collins or 16th and Collins that is $10 and $16 a day, respectively. They're both a pretty short walk, just drop off your luggage if you can. Valet costs are $35 a day if you go through the hotel...we just didn't want to spend that much. Plus if you stay in South Beach you'll mostly be walking anyway. There's a great Cuban coffee place called David's cafe on 11th just past Collins. If you like your coffee fully leaded, you will love it! :)

The staff is really nice at the hotel. Housekeeping was great, very timely, fully stocked everything, and very nice too. Julio, Pablo, and Louis really took great care of us and were awesome. The rooftop pool in the main building is great. Wish there was a little bar up there, but it's fantastic just to lay up there for a great view and some sun.

If you get a standard room, they're pretty small. We upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite and got an ocean view. Fantastic view but not so quiet if you're a loud sleeper as South Beach partying truly goes on all night long. Although for the location, it was a lot quieter than we thought...they did a great job with insulating the rooms. I just put in my earplugs and slept fine. Beds were comfortable but a little warm as that foam mattress retains a lot of heat all night. The decor of the room is awesome, very stylish. All in all we really enjoyed the Strand but if you're looking for convenience in the way of parking and less crowds, it may not be the place for you.

Why Not, Victor? I'll oblige you!

by Hexepatty

It is asked that the following information be included in all presentations that include the images of the castle located at 9th Street and Ocean Dr. in Miami Beach, Fl. The images of the castle are protected by United States and International copyright laws.

ARTIST AND BUILDER: Victor Leong
LOCATION OF CASTLE: 9TH Street and Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL.

Best Breakfast on Ocean Drive, Miami Beach

by JVANYC about Tides Hotel

I am a breakfast and coffee lover. While my budget wasn't allowing me to stay here, The Tides Hotel offers a fantastic breakfast at a reasonable price for what you get. I felt like a fabulous movie star on the vernada overlooking Ocean Drive and Miami Beach. The New York Times was provided free and the table had flowers, a very nice china setting and cloth napkins and table covering. Going budget on the Hotel and splurging on the Breakfast evened it all out for me. The service was excellent too. If it's a little grey or rainy outside you can take your breakfast inside in the equally warm lobby setting. This is by far one of South Beach's best deals in my opinion. By the end of the week the staff knew me by name and I wasnt even spending $350 a night to stay there. :-) I enjoyed the egg breakfast special just about every morning. Don't skip the Apple Sausage, Really fantastic. It's $8 and the coffee comes in its own pot so you dont have to keep hunting down the server. Real cream and i skipped the juice to keep the price down with tax and generous tip (i hung out for quite a while reading the paper) I would get out for under $15 each day.

What is this Art Deco business?

by Ewingjr98

Art Deco, from the French words "Arts Décoratifs," simply means decorative art, and it began in Europe in the 1910s. It peaked there in the 1920s, but stayed in high fashion in the US until the 1930s. Art Deco describes not just architecture, but also painting, the graphic arts and film. It is said that art deco saw its popularity grow after World War I, due to the end of the wartime conservation and austerity. Art deco is typically based on geometric shapes and patterns , and it eventually spawned other related artistic styles such as cubism and futurism.

Many countries around the world, and many cities in the US has surviving examples of art deco such as Havana, Cuba; Copacabana, Brazil; Valencia, Spain; Mumbai, India; Bandung, Indonesia; Napier, New Zealand;

Miami Beach, with some thirty blocks of hotels and apartment houses dating from the 1923 to 1943, is said to have the largest number of Art Deco buildings in the world. The Art Deco Historic District here was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, and has since been well restored and maintained.

The Art Deco Gift Shop is operated by the Miami Design Preservation League and has information on tours of the area.

Art Deco Gift Shop
1001 Ocean Drive
10 Street and Ocean Drive
Miami Beach, FL
Phone: 305-531-3484

Great location, but very, very noisy

by TripAdvisor Member BayAreaTravellerSJ

Hotel is situated right across from the water, but is extremely noisy (we were kept awake until 3:30 a.m. with a loud bar next door). Staff was unclear how valet parking worked so we had to park a few blocks away. A better location might be Hotel Victor or Betsy Ross which are in a quieter location and are similarly priced.

Not a full service property!

by TripAdvisor Member MOP19

This is really a condo-hotel so do not expect a full service property. The staff is scarce and while they are helpful- they are not overly knowledgable. The pool on the roof deck looks nicer on the web than in real life. However the view from the deck is definitely great and the lounge chairs are plentiful and comfortable. The gym is a tiny room w/ 4 pieces of equipment . Room service is supposedly available but the restaurant is not truly affiliated so one cannot charge to their room. On the upside, I was upgraded to a jr suite and the room was spacious and the bathroom was terrifically appointed. The location is also a big plus as it is right across the street from the beach and in the midst of the action. After partying at the cleavelander one night- I was happy that my hotel was right next door. All in all- not a terrible experience or stay, just a bit different from what I expected.

Stay in the back

by TripAdvisor Member jurypro

Having been to South Beach before, we asked for and were given a room in the back, which was much quieter. Unfortunately, there is a multilevel parking lot across the street which had car alarms going off at all hours. The room was fine, comfy bed, nice kitchen, couch, etc. If I were going to Sobe again, I'd be happy to stay there - although I agree with those who noted the management is a bit useless.

If you have a car, there is a municipal lot on 13th between Ocean and Collins where it costs $1.00/hour with a maximum rate of $8.00 ($10 on weekends). A much better bet than the valet parking.

Great Hotel, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member sillywilly

Loved the location and room. Our room was in the Deco building #521 and it was so cute. It had a separate bedroom, living room, nice bathroom with great shampoo and sea scrub, refrigerator, microwave and was perfect. Elroy and Julio were wonderul and helpful with places to eat and enjoy. We walked Ocean Drive, Lincoln Mall and Collins and the location was the best. The rooftop pool was amazing. Like other reviews we could not get the safe to open but were only there for one night so didn't bother to call. Can't wait to return.

Very nice rooms

by TripAdvisor Member inplaya

I booked 2 standard rooms at the Strand via expedia and then contacted the hotel to request a high floor. I was pleasantly surprised when they wrote back saying they had given us an upgrade to a junior suite! Check-in was quick, the room was beautiful, can't find anything I didn't like. The bed was very comfortable, the shower and bathroom amenities excellent, maid service quick (room always ready at about 10.30 am!!!) We stayed in the Retro building which is a bit loud because of the music coming up from the bar and store downstairs. Excellent job at shutting out noise and music from the windows, but it came in under the door. Not a problem. Slept like babies.
We went to see the pool but could never use it as Miami was cold last week.
Was a bit surprised when at check out they wanted to charge us "resort fees" - use of beach and towels. I said "what beach????". The person at front desk said they had a beach club - first time we knew anything aboout it. Would have been nice to know at check-in. Anyway, when we said we didn't even know they said ok, no problem, we won't charge you.
The location is convenient as it's half way up Ocean Drive, so it's close to everything, and Ocean Drive is not so noisy (maybe we chose a low season to visit, which was great for us).
The only downside is that the hotel has no bar, sitting area or meeting area, so you either stay on the rooftop pool or in your room. It was ok for 3 days, but for longer I think I would like somewhere to sit and read a book or have a drink or just chill.
We checked out a few other hotels I'd read about on Trip Advisor while we were there, and none matched the Strand for value. We had a large, clean, modern, comfortable room for a lot less than really small/smelly/dirty rooms at other establishmetns. I could not believe it. A good place to stay in South Beach.

Ocean Drive, Miami BeachOcean Drive, Miami Beach

Modest MouseModest Mouse

Delano poolDelano pool

Departing cruise shipDeparting cruise ship

How to make an appointment at Miami Ink

by amyprice

I want to make an appointment for my husband to get a tattoo for a surprise birthday gift at Miami Ink, how to I get a hold of them? We will be traveling from Massachusetts and I can't find that info anywhere. Can you help?

RE: How to make an appointment at Miami Ink

by bevf2003

hi there, i am just back from miami south beach and visited miami ink, you cannot make appointments as they only take walk ins, yogi was the only one that was there but apparantley they do all work there. its only open 12-12 but is very expensive, (about 2-3 times normal price, hope this helps, bev

Comments