808 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, Florida, 33139, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 16% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Whitelaw Hotel

Would Rather Sleep On The Beach

We spent a weekend at The Whitelaw Hotel recently and can only say....don't be fooled by the hotel's chic, hip, upscale feel conveyed by its web site. In reality, the hotel is more like a youth hostel with indifferent staff and zero attention to cleanliness. Our room (101) also lacked the amenities advertised, including a safe, mini bar, fridge, and stereo system. The shower was moldy and had no soap holder. More literally disturbing however, was the noise emanating from the lobby on Saturday morning. The walls are paper thin and after a late night, we were awakened at 8:00 a.m. to the singing and bellowing of the breakfast cook. Amazingly, none of this seemed to faze the staff. After insisting, they finally agreed to move us to another room for the second night but this did nothing to undo our unpleasant experience. About an hour after checkout, I realized that I had left my coat in the room closet. We returned to the hotel immediately but our room had been cleaned and nothing had been turned in to the front desk or to lost and found. When I advised the manager of the situation, she became defensive and offered retorts such as “my staff doesn’t steal” and “I have no male housekeepers so I don’t know why anyone would take men’s clothes.” My efforts to rectify the problem thereafter with senior management proved frustratingly fruitless. They were rude, evasive or simply indifferent. I have traveled all over the world and have stayed in luxury resorts and budget inns, and have never, ever experienced such a complete and utter disregard for basic customer service. With so many places to stay (or "crash") in South Beach.....this place ought to be last on the list, after the beach itself.

Back next July 4th 2005 Location, location,location

I have just come back from staying at the Whitelaw hotel for 10 nights during the 4th July period 2004 and had a great time.The hotel is above average for price and location. The hotel is nice and in a great location you can walk to all the hip places and shopping is on your door step. The staff that were helpfull in particular Michelle who works at the bar in the evening and Terrence the night manager who is very friendly and will try and solve any problems you may encounter. The hotel is great value for money when you take into account you pay £130 - £150 per person to stay in a 4 star hotel in central london per night and per person most of the time. However it could do with a lick of paint in the bedrooms particularly where the fridge is kept and basic things such a s a toothbrush holder or towel rail would not go a miss. The bathrooms are small but the rooms are adequate if you are enjoying Miami and southbeach and not staying I would say the hotel is for party people as each room comes equipped with a stereo and music flows throughout the hotel until early hours (when I was there anyway). The breakfast included is nothing to write home about but consists of orange juice, Coffee, Strawberrys,Bread, Jam, Butter, doughnuts, if your not fussy you can eat enough to keep you satisfied until lunchtime (or bring some cereal with you and just add strawberrys!). The drinks between 7pm - 8pm which we missed most nights are a choice of rum, gin, vodka, with any mixer and although a limited choice the measures are strong so you can get the party started. House keeping could be better and the attention to cleaning could be better but the hotel is in no way dirty the beds are great and the pillows. All in all you have to way up the pros and cons the location is Greeeeeeeeeat! and the staff are nice little extras are a bonus on south beach for the price you pay and if you want luxury stay at the Lowes and pay for it if you want a great location (no car needed) stay at the Whitelaw and enjoy a stylish yet simple hotel for a fraction of the cost with great cable channels by the way I forgot to mention and your own stereo. The choice is yours all I know is I'm going back next year!

FROM A PICKY PERSON THE WHITELAW IS A DECENT PLACE TO STAY!

FROM A PICKY PERSON.....THE WHITELAW IS A DECENT PLACE TO STAY!I am the pickiest out of everyone around me. Everything has to be perfect or almost pefect, but one time i was low on cash and in desperate need of a vacation, so my friend and I decided to book on priceline in which you do not see what you bidded on until you actually GET THERE!
Although I wasn't disappointed. At first the room was just TOO WHITE and definitley not the best views, but I have to say my room was at least clean and definitley a place for the partyier...I got the best sleep (probably better then at home)...their pillows are the feathered ones and the blankets are the thick down blankets not like the cheap blankets that feel like a sheet could keep you warmer. The staff was nice and the happy hour wasnt bad either. Although the room may be small, it wasnt bad considering we spent most of our time getting ready to go out and the other time sleeping. I suggest if you plan on just plain partying...GO There you wont be disappointed. We got a deal for the price of our room and it was definitley worth it.

Decent

The Whitelaw was decent; it lives up to it's 3 star rating. It has a cute, small lobby, but clean and the staff was friendly. We stayed there for 3 nights in March, in the first room on the first floor, right in the front of the hotel by the lobby. Having a room right in the front was the downside. The hotel plays techno/trance type of music all day long into the wee hours of the morning. It was quite loud when you're trying to sleep early. Not only was that a bit of an annoyance, there's always people walking up and down the hallway. We also had a couple of problems with the amenities in the room. The tv did not function, in which we told the front desk twice but the employee could not figure out the problem. We did without watching tv during our stay because we hardly stayed in; there were so much more to do outdoors. Another problem we encountered was the toilet. It didn't flush properly and it clogged, so we called the front desk and help came immediately. The manager was nice enough to compensated those problems with a discount on one of the night's stay. Other than that, our stay was decent. The whiteness of the room made it look nice and clean. There was free continental breakfast, which was ok. It was in a very good location, right on the busy street of Collins Ave. (where there are many stores and restaurants) and a block away from the beautiful South Beach.

Clean sheets?! That was about the only clean thing....

The slogan for the hotel - clean sheets, hot water, and stiff drinks - that is the only thing you should expect from this place. Less than impressed could not even begin to describe how I felt about my stay here. The bathroom was appalling - absolutely disgusting. While marble is nice and all, I don't particularly like my marble with mold. Someone should seriously consider throwing bleach in the shower - my boyfriend and I both actually wore shower shoes. I had to wipe some questionable stuff off the bathroom counter so I could put my toothbrush and face soap down. And did I mention the mold?
The sheets were indeed white and so was everything else in the room - to be more specific, expect a dingy white. White does not allow you to hide dirt or any kind of stains - so you must clean! I contacted the front desk about some stains on the pillows the first night I was there and for some strange reason, they could not find any other clean pillow cases. The person at the front desk said that we would have clean pillowcases the next day - the only thing they did was turn my pillow over in hopes that I would not see the stains. There was a TV and stereo in the room, but we did not have a VCR. The mini-fridge sat on top of a stained slab of wood and was apparently burned at some point.
On the third day of our stay, we stayed in the hotel room until around 2 p.m. before going to a baseball game. Upon returning to our hotel room around 6:30, our room was not cleaned. There were no clean towels, we still had that same dirty pillowcase, etc. Upon calling the front desk, I was told that the cleaning staff had left at 5. The person at the front desk said that he would "try" to find us some towels because apparently they do not maintain extras. We could not get clean sheets - there was nothing the front desk person would (not could) do about it. There were a million things that could've been done to rectify the situation - i.e. call one of their sister properties - but nothing was done. We finally got a couple of towels, but that was it. We were told that they've had this problem before - with guests staying in their rooms so the cleaning staff don't have the opportunity to come in and clean up. I didn't know there was a required time to leave your room.
Anyway, the hotel is very close to the South Beach social scene. The 7-8 happy hour is alright if you like cheap well drinks - don't expect mojitos, daquiris, or anything like that. The room key gaining you access to the Miami hotspots is far from true. While it may be cool that you're staying at the hotel, the doorman at the clubs really could care less. Do not expect to sleep until after 3 AM - I could hear entire conversations from people on the streets in my hotel room.
All in all, the Whitelaw may be a cool place to stay if you don't plan on being your room much. I don't blame the staff for the problems because I realize that they can only do what they are told. I could tell when I spoke with a couple of staff people that they were truly concerned, however, they are not left with many options. However, when I return to Miami, I will stay clear of this hotel.

Beautiful decor, a little loud could use some improvements

The Whitelaw on Collins in the art deco area, was very beautifully decorated. The outside building is not much to look at. They have plenty of sitting areas both out front and inside. It is done in white with black shag carpets. Our room was just as it was in the picture which was beauitful. The beds were very comfortable and soft. The closet door had a full length mirror inside which was great for geting ready. The room has a safe and mini fridge stocked with soda , juice and more. There are snacks available on an upper shelf and nuts and liquor minis but check the pricelist before opening anything!!! There is a convient store left of the hotel as you are walking out ,a couple blocks down. I loved the shower as it was like none I have seen before. Our room was very clean and I am very impressed with it. I had a few down sides upon MY stay there . The walls are very thin and we had some loud neighbors which woke me from a dead sleep. I could hear people walking above me as well though my husband slept through it fine. If your a light sleeper it might not be a restful stay. Outside in the hallway a maid's cart had been left so that every time we left the room and came back we had to pass it in the hallway. The room down from us had dirty dishes out front which were there when we checked in and was still there after midnight which was our last trip from the room. That morning they were finally removed. The carpet in the hall was in need of being vacumed as well. We stayed on the second floor. The cleaning needs improving upon ,but I would still recommend this hotel . Shopping is right down the block as is an easy walk to South Beach. There is an parking garage on the corner of 7th and Collins which is close to the hotel and approx. 14 dollars to park overnight (24 hours). Whitelaw has no parking. It is best to get into Miami early to avoid traffic. The stores open around 11am and 12pm and traffic gets congested at that time and hard to drive in. If checking in around 2pm ,I suggest still going early when parking in the garage is plenty , going to the beach for a couple of hours or doing some shopping prior to check in.
There is a wonderful spanish american restraunt on the corner of 7th and Collins as well called puerto sagua. They gave us large portions of food and it was excellent.

hurricane weekend

whitelaw is a great hotel, the atmosphere is great, the rooms are very nice and clean.. this is defenetely a young people's spot,,, you can't beat the location, the staffs are ok... One of the bartenders didn't want to tell me what perfume she had because it's a "woman's" secret,,,,,Can't forget the happyhours (7-8) you can load up then hit the spots later....again this is a young people's spot... i was a little skeptical about staying there from previous reviews,, but some of these people are very picky... yes the bathrooms are small .. who cares... they have everything someone will need during a vacation.... so defenetly a plus..............same goes with the strasfield hotel accross the street///

Excellent People

We were here for the July 4th weekend..and the service was excellent... for the price we paid is best bang for your buck, for people like me who don't spend much time in the hotel. The rooms were clean

VERY DISSAPOINTED!

The Whitelaw reviews on their website were outstanding, so we booked our room with them. We were really dissapointed - the rooms have paper thin walls and even the footsteps at the other end of the corridor could be heard. People in the next room sharing private moments sounded like it was in our room. Music in rooms are played until early hours of the morning. Parties in rooms began at 5.30 a.m. on most nights we were there. People passing by wanting to know about the hotel were shown rooms after 2.30a.m. carrying on various loud conversations on trying to sell the room. One Valet Car Park attendant demanded that I pay him on the spot refusing to give me my car until I did - I told him I was on my way to the bank to get cash and was returning to the hotel where I was staying for another 4 days!!! That was a really horrid experience. The complimentary Breakfast was a joke! The complimentary Happy Hour was worse! Paper cups and only one shot of a choice of three! If you are on spring break then you really will enjoy this hotel otherwise STAY AWAY! Other people who had bad experiences wrote their comments on TRAVELOCITY. CHECK THEM OUT TOO!

Loved the whitelaw!!!!

I must say that the previous comments regarding the Whitelaw are TOTALLY baseless. They have a super cool property, a great bar, WITH stiff drinks I might add, very clean rooms, a great location and a very helpful, knowledgeable staff.
My girlfriend and I were there just 2 weeks ago and while the noise does travel from room to room as in many other hotels, the front desk clerks seem to do everything they can to resolve whatever problems come up. We stayed at the WHITELAW on one other occassion this past Spring and it was great then too. It is South Beach so basically if you are used to quiet cities, with quiet hotels dont come to South Beach. If you do..and want great service, great location at a great price, I would stay at the Whitelaw.

Casa CasuarinaCasa Casuarina

Balans, South Beach, MiamiBalans, South Beach, Miami

The Clevelander, a south beach institutionThe Clevelander, a south beach institution

Mc AlpinMc Alpin

LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO MEET UP WITH

by MZAAR2000

Hi, I am coming to Miami from London (uk) on the 30th of May, i would like to meet up with either locals or other travellers to explore the area, visit Bars/Clubs shopping, etc.

Also could anyone reccomend a good place to stay, nothing too expensive but something quite decent and comfortable as well as being close to or on South Beach.

Peace

RE: LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO MEET UP WITH

by Ashasan

I'll be down there the weekend of June 2nd. Staying at the Whitelaw Hotel. Try booking through travelzoo.com, and then clicking on their website. very reasonable - off the beach about a block or two, but still in the heart of everything. never stayed there, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. been down to south Beach before - stayed at the Clevelander, which is only a block away and a great place to meet girls, but was booked that weekend. If you get this message call me at 312-933-5343, and we can get together for drinks.

Comments