3210 Tamiami Trail North, Naples, Florida, 34103, United States

Everglades:  Shark Valley Tram TourEverglades: Shark Valley Tram Tour

AlligatorSoaking up the Rocks HeatAlligatorSoaking up the Rocks Heat

public transportation option

by BigPaulie

I'm new to Naples and have traveled widely. I'm a firm believer in public transportation both for its smaller environmental footprint and its function as a community builder. I want to return to NYC for a two week visit but do not want to drive my own car and pay for two weeks of parking, nor do I want to spend $100 or more for round trip cab fare. Is there really no way to get from Naples to the Ft Myers Airport by public transportation? Have I missed something?

by Agraichen

From all the searchs I've seen you have limo and taxi service "at your service" in that part of the world.

by puerto_lover

For a map of the bus system in Fort Myers see:

The bus to the airport is Number 50.

Times on here:

Getting from Naples to connect to the airport bus presumably would be by Greyhound ?

According to Greyhound, the bus station/point is at:

Naples, Florida
CENTRAL PARK BUS TERMINAL
2669 DAVIS BLVD STE 1
Naples, FL 34104

You can look at the times etc at :

They list the Fort Myers stop as :

Ft Myers, Florida
FORT MYERS - GREYHOUND STATION
2250 PECK ST
Ft Myers, FL 33901

I don't know if the Greyhound could make a stop on Highway 41 at Fort Myers before Peck Street in order to link with the local bus service at the Bell Tower area. Worth finding out. otherwise it would be a question of getting back to change for the Bus 50 or taking a taxi to ride the 14 miles to Fort Myers South West Florida airport.

by puerto_lover

Look at the Fort Myers South West Florida Airport web pages about Public Transportation where they mention :

LeeTran provides public transportation between 7:00 am and 9:00 pm. Bus service is provided to a transfer point located at Daniels Parkway and U.S. 41. Connections can be made from that point to the remainder of the LeeTran routes.

For routes, schedule and fares or for more information visit LeeTran's website at www.rideleetran.com .

by leics

I looked at the sites that Puertolover loooked at.

As I haven't been to the US I decided not to post, but it seemed to me that it would be feasible to get a Greyhound from Naples to Fort Myers (although there are only 3 per day, I think) then Leetran bus to the 'connexion point' mentioned on the airport website, then Leetran airport bus 50.

It will take a while, I suspect, and connections may mean you have to start off earlier and/or hang around the airport longer than you might otherwise.

by puerto_lover

Yes you should visit Fort Myers leics. The man who gave us the light bulb had his winter home near the shores of the River and this is where he experimented on his alternation to rubber. Goldenrod. Fascinating man indeed. A prolific inventor and entrepreneur and founder of General Electric Company. Nearby Sanibel & Captiva are super islands to explore and enjoy the beaches.

by leics

I know I should visit the US.

But I have not, at the moment, got the wherewithal to do what I would wish to do.

Travel Tips for Naples

Collier County Public Libraries

by deecat

Allan and I used the Collier County Public Libraries frequently while we were in Naples, Florida. We would go almost every day to use the computers to keep up with our e-mails and for Allan to do his work concerning the Stock Market. I checked out several books to read. [While I was in Naples, I read 21 novels and used several travel books.]

We paid $10.00 each to have a library card so that we could use the computers. Unfortunately, we could only use a computer for 30 minutes at a time. However, we could use 90 minutes of time on the computers per day. It was sometimes quite troublesome.

Photographs 1, 2, and 3 concern the Headquarters Regional Library.

Photographs 4 and 5 concern the Naples Regional Library.

We were quite impressed with the architecture of both of the libraries that we used. Photographs #1 and #3 show the California Mission design of this library. The people who worked at both libraries were so helpful, kind, and friendly.
Both libraries had areas where you could purchase books, and the money went to the volunteers to improve services. I purchased several books at both libraries.

The children's library at the Headquarters Regional Library on Orange Blossom Drive was outstanding and included a children's theater.

The library on Central had a separate room with books about Florida, which I found useful.

The Two Libraries that we used:

Headquarters Regional Library
2385 Orange Blossom Drive
329-593-0334

Naples Regional Library
650 Central Avenue
Naples, Florida 34102
329-262-4130

No matter how useful computers are, I still love books and always will.

Fresh Fruits and Other Produce

by deecat

We were so pleased to see a Citrus Fruit shop and a Produce Shop side-by-side along North Airport Pulling Road. We are great lovers of Honeybell oranges, so when we saw a sign advertising them, we pulled into the parking lot. The Temple Citrus Grove had such oranges in a bag for a reasonable price. Now, honeybells are only available in January and a small part of February so it's important to purchase them in early January.

Here's the deal on the Honeybell. They are really a form of a Mandarin orange, but in the citrus industry, they are known as a Minneola tangelo. Yet, to the general public, they have the nickname of "The Honeybell" It's a hybrid created in 1931. Most of these are bell shaped, and some are round and smooth. The variety in this area are yellowish orange in color and don't always have the bell shape. Most are seedless, and they require loving care because of their tender, thin skins. They must be picked using a clipper, and that's the reason they are more expensive.

Photograph #2 is the picture I took of the Honeybells that we purchased. There were over 30 in the bag. We ate all of them....they are SO JUICY!

Temple Citrus Grove
6500 N. Airport Pulling Road
Naples, Florida 34109

Right next door is the Ritchey's Produce where we would buy our tomatoes, lettuce, and strawberries. I always made sure that what I purchased was locally grown.

The neatest thing about this store is that they offer samples for almost all the produce, which helps you decide which specific items you wish to buy.

Photograph #3 shows the inside of Ritchey's Produce.

Ritchey's Produce
North Airport Pulling Road
(239) 597-0047

collier-seminole state park

by doug48

the collier-seminole state park is located about 15 miles south of naples on US 41. this interesting state park has both mangrove and salt marsh ecosystems. the park offers camping, nature trails, and canoe rental. near the entrance to the park are a couple of airboat ride operators. a very worth while side trip from naples for those interested in nature and wildlife.

Hofgarten Brauhaus

by zChris about Hofgarten Brauhaus

Very German, but not oppressively so. You'll find there is lighter fare and the staff doesn't muse into corny Germanisms. The crowd itself also seems to have a Teutonic flare, I heard a couple conversing in their native tongue about life in East Berlin. Naples on a whole seems to be developing a large population of German expatriates. On the night I was there, a full German band was assembled, clad in Liederhosen, and playing traditional music. The Hofgarten also has one of only four of the world's 'beer towers', which speaks for itself. The Butcher Plate- you get everything! Jaegerschnitzel, pork, bratwurst. Basically a whole lot of German meat on one massive dish.

Fun Time in Ft Myer

by deecat about AlliGATORS Florida Grill & Bar

When we went to Fort Meyers, Florida, to visit Edison/Ford Winter Estates, we stopped on the way home and ate at AlliGATORS Florida Grill & Bar. It's such a fun place, and the food is also quite good.

As one can see from the photographs, it is colorful and playful.

1. Photograph #3 shows the colorful booths and Photograph #4 shows the AlliGATOR trying to eat Deecat!!

Our waitress was upbeat, helpful, and rather efficient. We did have a long wait for our check, and when it arrived, it was incorrect (and not in our favor). A big sign outside said that between certain hours in the afternoon, a huge 20% would be taken off the bill. She was pleasant and changed the bill. As Photo #1 shows, our appetizer was what we call the "Onion Haystack" [very thin onion rings stacked on top of each other] They were outstanding and not greasy.

Allan ordered a hamburger, and I had a Cheese Quesadilla. Our food was superior, and we cleaned our plates with smiles on our faces. We were too full to order desserts.

Comments