512 S Riverside Dr, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about New Smyrna Beach

old fort parkold fort park

old sugar mill trailold sugar mill trail

the breakersthe breakers

Sea Harvest list of reasons not to feed the birdsSea Harvest list of reasons not to feed the birds

Travel Tips for New Smyrna Beach

Connor Library Museum in Old Fort Park

by grandmaR

We went to see the now defunct marina and the "Old Fort" which we had seen briefly when we stopped here on our boat in the fall of 2000.

While we were looking at the Old Fort, I took this picture of the library. A website about it says:

"The New Smyrna Free Library (now the Connor Library Museum) was constructed by Washington Everett Connor in 1901. Mr. Connor, a New York stockbroker, personally maintained the building and paid the librarian's salary for 20 years. Originally located on the northwest corner of Faulkner and Washington Streets, the library was deeded to the City in 1924, with the stipulation that the City continue to maintain the building as a library.

"In 1940, the New Smyrna Free Library was moved into the newly completed Works Projects Administration (WPA) facility on Sams Avenue (now City Hall). After the relocation of the library, the New Smyrna Beach Garden Club used the original library building as its headquarters.

"Despite its illustrious beginnings, it did not appear that the building would be allowed a graceful retirement. By 1990, the Connor Library stood abandoned and deteriorating and seemed a likely candidate for demolition. In 1991, the City of New Smyrna Beach moved the building to its present location in Old Fort Park. It remained in its dilapidated state in the park until 1994, when the building was completely restored and converted into a museum detailing the history of Southeast Volusia County." In 2001, the Connor Library Museum celebrated its 100th anniversary. I did not know it was a museum, or I might have visited it-- or maybe it wasn't open at the time we were there - I don't really remember.

120 Sams Avenue
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
(386) 478-0052

Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Admission: Free

There were also banners on it advertising Eco-Tours.

Marine Discovery Center

by grandmaR

The Marine Discovery Center is a non-profit organization that conducts ecological and historic boat tours of the estuary. They also do the Sunset Inlet Tours which include wine and cheese and are $2.00 more than the regular tours.

I think the historical tour might be the most interesting (I feel that we do our own ecological tour on our own boat when we motor through the area). I took this picture of their boat as we motored by.

ECOLOGICAL TOUR SCHEDULE
Tuesday through Saturday

HISTORIC BOAT TOUR
Once a week on alternating Thursdays and Saturdays at 10 a.m.

This tour starts with the early Indians, and covers the first settlers.

Directions I-95 to S.R. 44 (249A) to Live Oak L to Canal R. to Riverside left to N. Causewy.
------------------
Admission Price: Adults $20 - $22, seniors $18 - $20, children $10 - $12, children under 4 free.

Approximate time required: 2.5 hours

God winked

by 807Wheaton

"Launch of the Endeavor"

This picture doesn't look like much - however, the flash right in the middle, to the right of the row of vertical lights is the flash of "take off" from 30 miles away from Cape Canaveral. We watched the Endeavor as it rocketed through the clouds, out to space. For several years I've tried to coordinate a visit to the Cape area to see a launch, but realized it would be difficult because so often the launches are scrubbed. It's a seven hour drive for us to get there. This launch was scheduled for Sunday morning and was scrubbed. Our cruise ended on Sunday morning and we drove to New Smyrna Beach for that evening. Our hostess was so excited about the revised launch schedule - her apartment lanai looks right out to the ocean and what a great view we had! God winked.

2003, Nov. 30 - the Pink Bridges of New Smyrna

by grandmaR

As we came into New Smyrna Beach, the sailboat behind us (named as we found later DUSO) which drew 7 feet ran aground briefly.

We found that the Coronado bridge which used to be on demand is now on a schedule of every 20 minutes. A trawler passed and went under without an opening. We went through the 0920 opening with DUSO and a white ketch. I see looking back on it that the bridge is painted pink.

We went by the municipal marina but couldn't see if there was a CSY in there.

A sailboat docked at the Sea Harvest restaurant which advertises free dockage.

We saw the red catamaran (with the difficult to pronounce or remember name) from Norway (I think) that we saw getting fuel in Fernandina Beach. They were tied up to what looked like park docks. There are signs on the docks, but I can't read them in the picture.

After we went under the fixed bridge (also painted pink) DUSO passed (I think he is single handing). He called across and asked if this was our normal speed because he never passes anyone.

I think the pink bridges must be a New Smyrna Beach thing.

I took this picture of this barge as we passed, because I thought it was interesting.

Next: Mosquito Lagoon to Haulover Canal.

Comments