Amerisuites Orlando Universal

Costs 29% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Amerisuites Orlando Universal

Not as Good as Expected

by TripAdvisor Member Schweger

We weren't happy. Given the reviews we had seen, we expected better. The sofa bed was horrible! It was so broken down it was almost impossible to sleep on and it wouldn't fold back up! Also, there was supposed to be bedding in the closet for the sofa bed but there wasn't. When we went to the front desk we were given bedding but no pillows. We were told we would have to wait until 11:00 p.m. to get pillows because the person at the front desk couldn't leave to go get them. The pillows never came. The room didn't smell very good and there were stains on the walls. We didn't deal with the elevator because we stayed on the 1st floor, so no comment on the elevator issues. The breakfast was really good. BUT, there's not nearly enough tables and the food is not restocked very quickly. My final complaint is that there was no information provided about the hotel's ammenities when we checked in and there's very little information in the rooms. By the way, there is a $7 per hour charge to play Nintendo games.

Great Stay at Ameriuites

We stayed at Amerisuites Universal from June 7th thru the 11th. Our room was clean and roomy. The staff members we encountered were professional, courteous and went out of their way to help us. On one occassion a staff member caught my wife and I carrying boxes and trash out, he took the items from us before we could even get into the elevator and said he would take care of it. Whenever we called the front desk for more towels or pillows they were prompt in bringing them up to our room. The wireless internet and desk in our room was a nice feature. The breakfast buffet was great, I particularly liked the fresh waffles. The prices for "movies in room" is my only complaint, $10 a movie is a little steep.

great location ... that's all

It's easy to get in and out of Universal/Orlando from this location. Rooms are "well-worn" and general upkeep is marginal. In 3 of 3 rooms, only 1 of 2 phones worked. "Breakfast" is poor quality and breakfast area should be reviewed by the health dept. Front desk is friendly, but often unavailable. Billing was incorrect, and getting proper credit after-the-fact was near impossible. Overall, too many disappointments.

don't use the phone!

by TripAdvisor Member backtothefuture

i found the amerisuites to be very clean and spacious with a good breakfast included. however, i used the telephone to make 2 five minutes calls to the uk and was charge $60! i think this is disgusting and it spoiled an otherwise good review of this hotel.

Just okay, if you are looking for a place to keep your stuff

by TripAdvisor Member CaboTahoeLover

PROS:
Budget price- For the location, $100/night on hotels.com seemed like a pretty good deal. I wouldn't pay more than that, however.
Location- You are literally right across the street from Universal Studios and all it has to offer. Wet and Wild is just down the street.
Wireless Internet in Room- although the signal is weak and I kept getting kicked off my computer mid-email.
Quiet enough to sleep- I couldn't hear my neighbors in their rooms throughout my five night stay.
Spacious Room- There was a "kitchenette" which included a little fridge, sink, coffee maker, microwave, and basic dishware. It is nothing spectacular, but it would make it convenient for families to whip up a little snack for the kids or to reheat those leftovers from last nights great dinner.
Then, there is a couch and chair with a coffee table, a desk area, two beds (in our room), a small closet area, and a bathroom. I found this to be ample enough space for the three of us.
Breakfast Bar- I won't say the quality of the food was good, but it was a nice convenience to have when my travel companions enjoyed sleeping in and I needed a little nourishment to hold me over for breakfast. It seemed they needed some more tables in the dining area.
Friendly staff- Everyone we encountered was delightful to deal with.
Cracker Barrel located right next door.

CONS:
Smell- I equate the odor of my room to that of an old wet towel that has been in a plastic bag for six days...
Sleeper Sofa- Don't even consider this as a sleeping option! I wouldn't let my dog sleep on it. Housekeeping had evidently given up on even trying to fold it back into the couch, because when we arrived it was halfway put away and would not go back in. My husband had to lift the entire sofa off the floor to manuever the thing inside again! Old, lumpy, deteriorating mattress and meager bedding...
Other guests- I don't expect first class in a budget hotel, but sometimes it seemed that the other guests had never been in public before...mad clamour for the breakfast bar, kids running amock through the halls, etc.
Slow elevators- You've no doubt read the other reviews...They did not exaggerate. Just take the stairs, it's faster and less crowded.
They overrate themselves- This is rated as three star, but I think that is a little generous and misleading. I would give it two stars.
Pool- Greatly overrated by the other reviewers. Small and always full of children.

I was in Orlando to move my teenage stepdaughter here for college. We did not need to be in our room very much of the time, as we had much to do in our short time. Because of this, the hotel was satisfactory. If I had been here on vacation, I would have moved to a better hotel for only a little more money so that my overall Orlando experience would have been pleasurable.

Good location, but ...

by TripAdvisor Member Neelee

I don't know how they got their 3* rating. This was a little better than a Days Inn or Travelodge.

The location is directly across the street from Universal Studios parking lot. About a 20 minute walk to the front gate of Universal Studios.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful. The staff was friendly.

My room, bottom floor, across from laundry room, had wireless Internet access, small kitchenette (with dishes - that's a plus!). The laundry room is another plus.

This would be a great place for families or business traveler's that need an extended stay location.

Cons:
They lacked a business center with computer, printer and Internet connection. There is no shuttle to/from airport or any attractions. You either need to walk, catch a cab or hire a shuttle.

Bad customer service

The rooms were cramped. They "said" they only had queen and king beds, but our beds were full sized. If you can fit 2 adults on a full size mattress, then you will be ok, if not you will be miserable.

Also when calling the front dest of get an extra pillow I was rudely told they did not have any extra pillows in the entire hotel. The rude woman at the front desk had no resolve for this and continued to say every hotel in the area was booked and they could not get one extra pillow anywhere. She obviously should not be in customer service.

The rooms were suites but they were normal hotel room sized just with everything stuffed in them. We had mold on our bathroom ceiling due to the poor ventilation in the bathrooms.

Pick a different hotel for your vacation.

What a Disappointment!

Arrived at 2:00 (lobby empty) - desk clerk was firm about 3:00 check-in. As we stood there with 2 tired children. Arrived back at 3:00 (lobby packed). Would have been nice to have a little extra time to recharge before special invitation only Halloween Horror Night early entrance at 4:00. No shuttle service either for Halloween Horror Nights. Shuttle times only in the morning and evening, but not late at night. No shampoo in room-must help yourself to the maid cart. Safe in room did not operate. Tub drained very very slowly. and wasn't very clean. Bathroom was very cramped quarters. Complimentary Breakfast Buffet - get there early, otherwise your waiting for eggs and plates as well as a long line. Tiny Coffee maker (2 cup). Just not at all up to the standards of last years stay at the "Double Tree Hotel". Why Universal Vacations chose the Amerisuites to use as part of the halloween horror nights vacation package is really beyond my understanding. Left a day early because I was disappointed. If you don't expect much, then you won't be disappointed! Dump this dump and go back to the Double Tree please!

Great location & great staff

We stayed here for 7 nights over Christmas 2005. I am very picky about my hotels and was concerned at some of the reviews at this one but found it to be a great place to stay!
On arrival, I found that we had been allocated a 'suite' (a slightly larger hotel room) without a sofa bed. The three of us travelling wanted a bed each - the very helpful receptionist couldn't accommodate us on the first night but offered to change our room for the next six nights to a 'TCB' suite which was much larger with a kitchenette and dining area as well as a sofa bed and two queen beds. She told us to unpack only the essentials for the first night and that the hotel would move us to our new room while we were out at the park the next day. We came back to a great room and DIDN'T GET CHARGED ANY EXTRA!
My kids loved the free popcorn every evening; there was coffee 24/7 in reception as well as in room coffee makers.
The breakfast was great for us as we were there by 7.30 most mornings and had the place almost to ourselves; I can see what other reviewers meant though on the one morning that we slept in and went down at 9.00am - we took one look at the mess made by other guests (mainly a boys' soccer camp) and headed off to the Dennys about 5 minutes walk along the road! There is also a Cracker Barrel and a TGI Fridays within a couple of minutes walk.
The location of the hotel is great if you want to visit Universal - you can see the parking lot from the hotel (!) and the return taxi fare (including tips) never cost me more than $12! Parking alone at Universal is $8 so we saved loads by not renting a car. It is possible to walk to Universal but this involves crossing a busy road and is not ideal with kids. The I-ride trolley stops just up the road from the hotel and stops right outside Seaworld (fare $1 and free for kids!) The hotel does have a free shuttle to Universal and Seaworld but these left the hotel too late for us park early birds!
All the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly;the man at the guest services desk was a mine of information and our maid took great delight in arranging my kids cuddly toys on the bed each day which delighted them.
Yes, the hotel is fairly basic but clean, good value in a great location. Well done Amerisuites, I'd have no hesitation in returning!

More than expected

My family and I went to Universal for the day and stayed at the Americsuite. The Desk clerk for our late check in was super friendly and gave all the kids a little gift/welcome bag. She also gave them a big bag of popcorn to share. Really nice. The breakfast was really good too. We stayed on a weeknight so their were no crowds at breakfst, great selection. The room was very clean too. I would highly recommend it.

claddagh cottage pubcladdagh cottage pub

"Celebrate a Dream Come True" parade"Celebrate a Dream Come True" parade

View of the Resort from Downtown DisneyView of the Resort from Downtown Disney

Hulk rideHulk ride

use of travel prepaid cards - visa electron?

by aly22

I am travelling to florida later in the summer, and travel agents are highlighting the prepaid cash passports - the new alternative to the travellers cheque. These cards are visa electron cards and i have been told this is different to the plain old visa card. The visa electron is a pre paid card loaded with your travel money, and this is debitted as you pay. Unlike a visa card that is a credit card. Could anyone out there tell me how widely the visa electroncard could be used in florida and especially around the disney area?

by Lauz

I don't think I would recommend this method of paying for things, american express tried a similar thing a few years ago but scrapped it after it was unpopular. My friend did it with the american express card and found it a hassle, the benefit of travellers cheques are that when you use it you get the change in cash to use for tips, car parking, buying small items etc she found that she never had money for this and was constantly having to check the card would be accepted before going to restaurants, buying drinks etc. Another benefit of the paper cheques are that you can leave them in your hotel safe when you go out, with the card you are carrying around all your holiday money at once.

by goodfish

I can't tell what country you're coming from - do you have an ATM? I would suggest that as the best way of acquiring cash.

by nomad7890

Never heard of it - ever. I live in Orlando.

As previously mentioned, an ATM card would be best. If you have a Visa card you could bring this as backup. Plain Visa with a pin. As a third backup do bring some currency to exchange as last resort, but again, as a last resort as this is the least economilcal way to obtain dollars.

Travelers' checques are getting harder to cash everywhere.

This thing must be a new marketing program - someone's making $$$.

Comments