Best Western Airport Inn

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

More about Orlando

Walt Disney Amphitheatre at Lake EolaWalt Disney Amphitheatre at Lake Eola

Reticulated giraffe on the Kilimanjaro SafarisReticulated giraffe on the Kilimanjaro Safaris

Anna in the Magic KingdomAnna in the Magic Kingdom

Christmas PoohChristmas Pooh

Two guys away from the family looking for a great week in Orlando

by atomicburger

We have been given a week pass from our awesome wives for a week in Orlando. Coming from the UK June5th. Never been before and would love any great money and time saving ideas. Have read extensively about flex tickets and line beating deals, so here we go.
1. I think may have to hire a car (as we fly into Sanford), any ideas for deals
2. We haven’t booked anything yet!
3. We have not much money, well were on a budget of sorts
Looking to experience Universal, maybe a water park or two and also want to squeeze in a bit of relaxing by a pool, beach or one of the great looking springs. I have read about a canoe and camping thingy – might be fun, or might be Deliverance!!
4. Trying to find a way to get cheap room at the Hard Rock for 2 nights, possibly just turn up and beg? (maybe use the $20 Vegas trick)
Any ideas for Itinerary planning, don’t mind moving around or if the hotels are a bit "Bates Motel" as long as we get a pool. I have seen many prices at $19 per night etc.
Finally any good recommends on eating out and drinking in the evenings, oh yeah and Burger Joints, I work at one in the UK and would love a real American Burger (its been too long)...

by joesorce

At hertz.com, UK citizen can rent a car for 135 pounds per week, with all the taxes and insurances included. If you are checking rates elsewhere, make sure you are comparing rates that include the insurances and taxes.

Are you planning on anything other than Disney? You may want a hotel near bus service or with shuttle services so that you do not have to pay parking rates at the parks.

The following are reviewed as clean, with pool, and very thrifty:

Howard Johnson 4985 Irlo Bronson Kissimee
Howard Johnson 6051 West Irlo Bronson
Imperial Swan 7050 Kirkman
Destiny Palms 8536 West Irlo
Ramada Gateway 7470 West 192
Royal Celebration Inn 4944 West irlo

by Florida999

I would look for a cheap motel on International Drive. Make sure you don't get one in a bad area ( stay away from Orange Blossom Trail and anywhere in west Orlando)
Burgers: hmmm,lol, can't help you there, don't like them. Mcdonalds is about as American as you get:-)
Car rental: just look on the internet and see what is the least expensive. I would agree with you that you need a car, there is very little public transportation anywhere here but be careful driving. People here do not drive as " polite" as they do in the UK, plus you will be driving on the other side of the road, which takes a few days to get used to.
One way to save money: if you go to the theme park, leave at lunchtime and go eat at Mcdonalds, especially at Disney where food is expensive
A nice place to visit the outdoors: Wekiva Springs State Park (close to Sanford)
Hope this helps!

by shohman

the hotel question has been answered by others so I will take the burger question:
the easiest to find would be 5 Guys Burgers and Fries. There are several locations, and even though it's a chain it is a great burger.
Fiddlers Green Pub in winter Park has several good burgers and these are my personal favorites in the area www.fiddlersgreenorlando.com

Travel Tips for Orlando

You need to call ahead or you missed out...

by jodssmile

We called Disney ahead of time and did character dining. If you wait you will not get the character dining you want especially busy time of year. SO CALL BEFORE you leave, as soon as you know you are going!
The hardest one to get is in Magic Kingdom called Cinderella's Castle.You have to call exactly day they take new reservations(month earlier than day want).
But we did do 2 character breakfast and we had fun. Biggest tip: Bring camera and each kid own notebook and each own pen for autographs.EVERY kid has own pen and notebook to get characters autographs.Plus it slows down the characters to get a picture with kids and more time with them.They only stop at each table short time.
There are many character breakfast you can call and reserve way in advance. Some at parks and some at the deluxe hotels. You do not have to be staying at the deluxe hotel to go to this one. We did the ones at the theme parks we were planning on going to and worked out better.
We did a Princess Breakfast, obviously my 6 year old girl loved. This is at Epcot, in Norway by the viking ship. Do the first seating if possible. Food ok. We saw Princess Ariel, Mulan, Snow White, and Jasmine.(they report characters may change).If you do this one, just remember takes at least another 30 minutes to get to where restaurant is in Norway from gates and can not be late. They repeat whole breakfast for another crowd in short time.
So leave EARLY so on time.

We also a character breakfast at Animal Kingdom in Dino Land part. Had a great breakfast buffet and we were not rushed. YUMMY food here! This was great. We saw Micky, Donald Duck, Pluto, and Goofy. Again, bring pens and notebooks for each kid and camera.
There were many more. This were two we did.
This is easy way to see characters and not have to stand in line for their autographs. They do not sit down and eat with you. Each character comes one at time to your table for a minute or two and then goes to next table.Yet, my kids thought it was great! My 6 year old daughter beaming ear to ear at Princess Breakfast.
Phone numbers for Disney character and all dining reservations are:
(407)WDW-Dine--thats (407)-939-3463.

For other Disney general questions,hotel reservations,or other Disney information we used this number:
(407) 4W-Disney.

Remember to try to call non-peak hours in week. You still may be on hold for long time, but is worth it later.

Visit Walt Disney World

by roamer61

Visit Walt Disney World. And, if you have the time, don't forget Universal Studios and Sea World. This photo is of the Germany pavillion in Epcots World Showcase. Epcot stands for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Warm, sunny weather.

Visit Universal Studios,...

by FloridaGirl

Visit Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, whether it is because you love rollercoasters or family-oriented entertainment. If you enjoy wildlife, then I recommend Sea World. After that, I prefer Disney World, Universal Studios, EPCOT, Disney-MGM Studios, and Animal Kingdom, in that order. Please see my Kissimmee page for complete information on the theme parks. As I have just started this other page, I currently have only Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. When I travel abroad, I always get homesick for the the beautiful Live Oaks with the hanging Spanish Moss and Cypress Trees that dot the swamp I call my backyard...Melbourne Beach with the nice tan sand and aquamarine waters...the white-sand beaches of Pensacola, Bradenton, and the Keys.

To Tip Or Not To Tip

by DUNK67

Tipping is expected almost everywhere to supplement the low wages that people get.
The normal level that people are expected to is between 15-20%.
I don`t agree with tipping, especially if you receive bad service but I still end up doing it anyway.

Packing List

by gkitzmil

SUN SCREEN, there is more and more evidence that exposure to sun substantially increases the risk of skin cancer -- my father was a gold miner in Arizona Sun in his early days and has cancerous lesions removed two to three times per year now! Mostquito repellant! Central Florida is known for these little pests. Recently they've been linked to many health problems. You will not need repellent at Disney Parks or Sea World or Universal but on motel grounds or other spots you will find it handy!

Comments