Best Western Movieland Orlando

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 44% less but rated 14% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Best Western Movieland Orlando

a great stay

When we go on a vacation we always look for a deal which I'm sure everyone does but we really got a great deal in this hotel.The room was awesome and the service was great, we always are disappointed when we leave because of one thing or another but not this time if you want a great deal for the money go with best western movieland we will always stay there when we visit orlando not only because of the value but because of the service. the only thing I wish they could fix and I know it's not their fault but the smell of the water and the taste yuch!!!!!

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member daviduk1

Stayed at the best western movieland for 10 nights 23rd may 05. Great hotel, rooms large and clea, bathroom also good. Located opposite wet n wild. For those driving from the Turnpike..careful you dont drive past the entrance, you have to turn into the Black angus restaurant and continue on your left! (we missed it !...only once though!) As to previous reviews, the doors do slam as you enter or leave and does create a large bang! Be curteous to fellow users and it doesn't tend to happen. Fridges are available to hire $5 plus tax which I thought was a little steep. (they should really provide them free) Uk people who phone home are advised to buy a phone card as a 5 min call home cost $25. Black Angus next door was nice place to eat and reasonably priced too. For those who smoke you can eat outside and watch world go buy as you drink, eat etc!
Nice bar called george and dragon also opposite which was nice place to finish the day off whilst listening to live bands nightly outside....or karaoke if you dare when its chucking it down (raining!) Would stay here again as its close to Prime one (old beltz shopping place) and very close to universal (5mins).

a pleasant place to sleep

My wife, baby, five year old and myself just recently stayed at the Best Western Movieland this past May 2005. It was not a bad place to be. I had read that the doors slammed loudly, and the air and heating units were loud in other reviews. Both statements are true. When the air comes on, it can be a little loud until it settles in. It then created a low hum perfect for blocking out any noise that would wake us. The heavy pine doors on each of the rooms do make a loud slam. Both noises woke me at least once during our week stay. As far as cleanliness, it is not bad. Towels are fresh each day and decorated in a floral folding shape. The end of the toliet paper was also folded neatly, but you would have to request new sheets if you want. I know that our sheets were not changed unless we requested it. No charge or problem when we asked for a few more pillows to create a safe area for our infant on the bed. We were offered an apology by the maid who acciedentally woke us up too early. For others ten thirty in the morning would be an apporpriate time to be up, but for us, we were all bone tired from the trip. The carpet could use a good wash, so if you don't like dirt on your bare feet after the shower, bring some flip flops. This hotel also smelled very clean as well. There is a laundry at the end of the hallways for two dollars per load. An attractive outdoor pool with towell service is flanked by many palm trees and flowers. It is surrounded by the hotel walls and if you are lucky, you can get a room with that view....we did. It was a nice view.
We located a superWalmart on 8101 south John Young Parkway. Simply go south on interstate 4 until you get to Oakridge. Right on Oakridge then another right on John Young parkway. This Walmart was maybe ten or fifteen miles from the hotel. Maybe a little longer. We got a room with both a microwave and a refridgerator. Each unit was five dollars per day. So ten for both appliances. The only gripe I had with the hotel may be the outdated heating and air conditioning units, carpeting that could have been cleaned, and the additional taxes I was not told about for the ref and microwave. I was not told I would have to pay more than five per day for each unit, but it was not too much. One dollar and eleven cents extra per day.
This hotel is also very close to whatever you need. It is within walking distance of several shops that sell tee shirts ect. It is also close to a Walgreen pharmacy and many various fast food chains. It is about four miles from Universal studios. There are also various chain malls and enclosed malls (Festival bay) located also right down the highway. If you like miniture golf, there also is some beautiful ones nearby complete with palm trees, illuminated lights, and waterfalls.
Florida is a melting pot as well. All kinds of people from all over the world travel there. The people who look like you, may come from another country. Had no problem making friends, however we did hear an argument close to the elevator that sounded like a lost scene from the movie "Scarface" Nobody bothered us, and you have to use your hotel key in order to enter the door from the outside, so there is some security. A black Angus steakhouse is within the hotel. You can access this resturant through the hotel hallway. You need not go outside unless you want to dine on the porch. We did not get the opportunity. Many bilingual people are there if you do not speak English well.
The air and sunshine would be taxed if the chamber of commerce in Florida could find a way. Expect to be taxed on almost everything. Two tolls from the airport. One is fifty cents, the other is seventy five, then on the way back, both somehow became seventy five. Car rental tax was around twenty nine dollars for a four door chevy. Then there is parking fees at Universal. Nine dollars per day for cars. You can rent a stroller there, but it will cost ten dollars, twelve for a larger one. Bring your own, or buy one at Walmart....we did. Disney and Universal studios are the livelyhood of Orlando, and the only reason we would ever go there. Much of the area reminded me of Indiana, except for some palm trees sprinkled around, and the billboards that often advertised to Latin target markets. Hope this helps and that anyone who travels here will have a safe, fun trip.

Great Value, Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member brlee80

Myself and My girlfriend have stayed here twice - 2000 and 2002. To be honest, you can't go wrong if you're on a budget, but still want a nice hotel with a nice pool area and decent rooms where you can relax comfortably. I believe the hotel was refurbished around 1999/00 so in that sense it's pretty new inside. You get, as standard, 2 double beds or if you're lucky a huge kingsize.
If you're thinking about going here I would recommend this hotel to couples and to families. My Auntie and her 2 kids stayed here last year after asking us what it was like and she also thought it was great. You're right opposite wet 'n' wild and the iRide trolley stop is right outside the hotel which will take you anywhere on International Drive in minutes.
There is an excellent shuttle service to all the Disney and Universal Parks. The only slight personal downside I have with this hotel is that for us it was at the "wrong end" of IDrive. All the 'better' bars, restaraunts and shops etc are down the other end. But don't let that put you off staying here because it's only a few minutes on the iRide to get from one end of IDrive to the other.

Great base for a stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member MSL73

I must admit that I was sceptical about this property from the number of bad reviews,I stayed at the Movieland for the first time during april and I have to say that I was very pleased.

The room was very clean and well presented and the maid service was always very good,as for the movieland its self,the property is very modern,well kept/maintained and staff are polite/helpfull.

The only downside (If you can call it that!),was The Black Angus bar/restaurant,not that there was anything wrong - but like other people have seid it is on the pricey side,if you want breakfast/dinner then try Ponderosas and for a beer try Bennigans both of which are a short walk up the road.

As I am a single traveller,I usualy find that hotels are expensive,I booked on-line and saved a fortune both accommodation and return flights,so if you are a single traveller - I suggest you do the same!.

A good value hotel

by TripAdvisor Member UK-Stu

Looking for a good value hotel in Orlando?. Then you have just found it.

Located at the top end of Intl Drive, opposite Wet'N'Wild and close to Universal Studios. The hotel is excellent value. For USD50 per night, you a clean room with a clean bathroom and two clean beds. We never used the pool, but it seemed extremely popular. We never used the restaurant either, but that too was well used.

You will find it hard to get better value in Orlando. Whilst I travelled with my wife, the hotel is suitable for all types of travellers.

The worst hotel you could pick!

by TripAdvisor Member roadster660

Deceiving to say the least, this place should be condemmed by the Board of Health. The staff at the front desk were rather rude and unfriendly and there were people in the lobby selling things and pushing their services. The cleanliness of the room I stayed in was real bad and the elevators & stairways made us gag. The best thing about the hotel was the ice machine and the pool and thats not even saying much.
Do yourself a favor and pay the extra $20 per night and stay elsewhere.

A great place to stay!

I was worried about staying here because some of the reviews were not very good, but we had absolutly no complaints. The rooms were very clean, and the maid service was in everyday to clean up and make the beds. We found reception helpful, and there was information available to us about all the parks and transport etc. There was an I-drive stop right outside the hotel, which was great because we used that to get around everywhere. (Buy a 14 day unlimited pass) They also run free bus services to Universal which was great and taxis back were only $5 if u didnt catch the bus. Wet and Wild was opposite which meant we could go over when it opened first thing and get on all the rides before it got busy later on.
The hotel is great if you are just looking for a base for two weeks. Lets face it - your in Florida, your not going to want to be in your room that much, there's too much to do!

Most Depressing Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Blue Jaguar

We stayed in the hotel from 27 May until 10 June, 2005. We had read some of the reviews and decided to take a chance on it. We hated it, and tried to get moved the first morning. We booked a room with Fridge and Microwave, there was no Fridge or Microwave and we were told we would have to pay for them. Staff were most unhelpful. The Pool Bar never opened for the 2 weeks, we never saw the pool area cleaned once in 2 weeks. The stairwells were littered with carryout boxes from the night before every morning. We enjoy outdoors and would have loved somewhere to sit outside in the evenings but all seating was within the Pool area which was locked at 20.00 every night. You either had to sit in that depressing bedroom or go elsewhere - thank heavens for the George and Dragon on the other side of Intl Drive. We holidayed in Kissimee last year and had a great time, but had we stayed here, we would not have returned.

best western movieland

by poppyjohnson

hi there

need some advice have not been to orlando for nine years know there will be loads of changes can anyone tell me about the hotel I have booked best western movieland is it ok have read various reviews but very limited advice given also what are the must not miss parks with a 10 year old and a six year old
thankyou poppy

RE: best western movieland

by Lauz

I haven't stayed at the movieland but have stayed in other hotels inc other best westerns ranging from 2star to 4 and they're all pretty much the same! All have the 2 queen size beds, air con, tv etc and have never found a hotel which was dirty or had rude staff so i think it's a safe choice!
As for the most suitable parks it really depends on what your kids are in to. My favourite is seaworld but if they're not so crazy about animals then maybe this wouldn't be the park for you. Magic kingdom is a must, esp if it's their first time in Disney.

Comments