Best Western Universal Inn

See Hotels with Better Ratings

bad customer service

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 28, 2008

The motel itself is nice, in an excellent location, and with ample parking spots. We had high expectations for this place given the good reviews that I pored over weeks before we arrived in Orlando. The motel did not disappoint us. However, what was disappointing was the service that we received at the front desk. Andy was the lady that assisted us.

(1) We called 4 hours ahead of our arrival to confirm the check in time. When we arrived, Andy greeted us looking and speaking in a tone that was very impatient. I asked her if I could use my Best Western crowne card to earn points on this stay but she was very rude in saying that because it was booked via Expedia, this was not applicable. I started to feel unhappy with attitude towards us.

(2) We booked via Expedia using my fiance's name but paid with my credit card. I gave her my credit card at check in because that was the card we used to book the motel. She got really upset about us giving her a card that has a different name from the name on the room. Thus, we complied and gave her my fiance's credit card.

(3) My fiance had requested via Expedia for a king-bed room. Andy gave us a 2-queen bed room. My fiance asked her nicely for a king-bed room if possible. She acted really impatient and told us how she would have to switch rooms around etc. However, she got us one. We thanked her and entered our room.

(4) My fiance noticed a weird smell in the room which I dismissed as a smell that is normal after they just cleaned it.

(5) She also heard water dripping sounds from the A/C. I also dismissed that as normal. However, 1 hour later, I walked around the A/C and realized that the carpet around that area was soaked.

(6) We proceeded to the front desk and told Andy about the situation. Andy told us that she would switch us to another room. My fiance merely asked if there was another King-bed room we could be moved to. And Andy got really rude with my fiance. She said that she could get us a 2 queen-bed room for 1 day and then move us to a king-bed room after that since there are not enough king-bed rooms for the 4 nights we are there. My fiance did not understand her at first because Andy sounded so impatient. So, my fiance asked her to repeat what she said, and Andy got really upset. At that point, I got really frustrated with Andy. An individual working in customer service should not act and speak in such a manner, especially not to my fiance. I told her that my fiance was just "asking", not trying to "irritate" her on purpose.

(7) We told her that we would just take the 2-queen room and we'll drop by the desk if we decide to switch to a king bed room the next day.

(8) We went into our new 2-queen bed room and it smelled so much better than the first one whose smell is considered pungent compared to this one.

(9) The next day, my fiance reported that she overhead Andy speaking with other customers and Andy sounded much friendlier and much happier. We wonder if she was friendlier that day because of the owner of the property was on-site that day or because she disliked our race (asian). The fact that we did not see or encounter any other customers of asian descent and its possible connection to her bad service may be secondary to my own delusional thoughts.

(10) On the third night, we bumped into travelers with their heavy luggage sitting in the business center looking upset. They told us that best western was listed as having airport shuttle service on their website. Thus, the reason they booked a night there and planning to take the shuttle to the airport the next morning. Upon arriving, the front desk told them no shuttle was available, did not explain why the website would place misleading information, and did not offer them a refund on the room. The travelers were really upset with Best Western.

(11) Throughout the 4 nights we were there, their "high-speed internet" was not high-speed at all. Connections were often at 1mbps if at all present. 4 wireless networks were available, but they either could not be connected to, OR after finally connecting after 20 minutes of clicking on the network, gave us no link to the WWW at all. After mentioning that to the front desk, they directed us to call the internet company ourself. We called them twice a day everyday for "slow-speed" internet. After a while, we just decided not to waste our time trying to connect at all. I was attending a national conference and was presenting my research poster during that week and was lucky to have prepared before hand. I cannot imagine needing to depend on their "high-speed internet" to prepare for the conference.

(12) We decided not to request for a king-bed room after that first night because we wanted to avoid speaking to Andy after that first day. We had no idea how she would respond and what she would do to us if she found us "irritable" (adding fraudulent incidentals to my fiance's credit card for example??)

I do not know if this was a one-time incident with Andy, or if that is how she is with some of the customers. There was another individual at the front desk who was so much nicer and really exemplified great customer service who was there the last 2 nights. Unfortunately, I cannot remember her name.

My experience has taught me that the best western motels vary from place to place. The last 5-6 motels I've stayed at have been Best Western. The ones in Jackson, Mississippi and Knoxville, TN are great and feel more like a 3 star hotel. This one in Orlando really disappointed us. Its only redeeming factor is its location. I would advice travelers to call/email ahead and write down who you spoke with in case you get something different when you arrive. Hopefully, you will not have the same bad experience as I did.

Nearby Best Western Universal Inn

• Continental Breakfast
  • Shuttle Service
  • Free High Speed Internet

Orlando Travel Forum

Need advice about Orlando, Florida? Visit the Travel Forum for Orlando and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Orlando hotel reviews

British
Ship or Boat
Wild Bill's
Nightlife
FLORIDA: Facts and Figures...
Local Customs