6000 W. Osceola Pkwy., Kissimmee, Florida, 34746, United States

Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Very nice, but hidden fees and pricey food

I have come to the conclusion, that the more expensive a resort, the more they like to tack on hidden fees.
    The web site said they had a shuttle from the airport. They do use a shuttle service and it costs $20.
    They also charge a "resort fee" for you to use their internet, fitness room and they give you 2 bottles of water a day (if you don't use them, you don't get extra), plus some other stuff they say is covered with this fee, that I didn't pay attention to.
    Fitness room: music was so loud I lost hearing while trying to exercise. When you can't hear the TV news with earbuds, because the music playing in the room is blaring, the music is too loud. I didn't have a problem with the selection, just the volume (it was like standing in the flight path of planes landing at an airport).
    They also charged extra to park your own car, and had no signage to direct you to the parking (I think they wanted you to use valet parking, which was even more expensive).
    Then you tack on the hotel taxes ( translation: I am old and don't think I should pay taxes for my services, so let the tourist do it).
    Conclusion: the room price they quote is not what you are going to pay.
    The food in the restaurants was great and the service was excellent, but was not inexpensive. If you want to eat some where else, you have to have a car.
    I rented a car at the OLDTOWN Budget rent a car in Kissimmee. Rumor has it the prices are higher at the airport due to extra taxes they have for the "tourist". The Oldtown Budget people picked me up at the Gaylord and took me to their office (very close) and had me out of there in no time. If you need a car in the Kissimmee area, call 407-396-0928.
    The hotel is nice, the service is great as is the food. Just be prepared to pay more than the quoted price.

Unique Quality: Atrium is great.

• Good Food

I was there on business- in and out in 24 hours, the room was good sized, clean and the bed was comfy.

Unique Quality: Villa Del Flora: European Buffet? I typically avoid hotel buffets restaurant options but my schedule made this the only reasonable options. I hadn't eaten all day and I was running late for a meeting but needed a volume of food fast. I am sensitive to MSG (mono-sodium glutamate) and nearly every hotel restaurant (esp. buffets) use a ton of it. I asked- they said no(more on this at the end). They invited me to peruse the buffet and I was amazed at the variety, presentation and staff that were manning stations, so I listened to my stomach and bit the bullet- $28 for dinner.
    Long story short- my meeting was moved to the next day and I have the evening to catch up on the two meals I had missed earlier in the day. Boy did I. The food quality was great. The ingredients were fresh and the selection was amazing. Fresh hummus, olives, cheeses, shrimp, Greek offerings, a fresh pasta station, 3 meat carvings (very good lamb), salads of every variety and about a dozen desserts. I spent an hour and a half truly relaxing and dining in a fashion I haven't since I was last in Europe. I was never rushed, the staff was friendly and offered recipe and preparation advice. The coffee I had with desert was even worth noting.
    Back to my MSG concern. Here's the deal, if you are mildly allergic- like I am- it's common to wake up in the middle of the night after an MSG "enhanced" meal quite thirsty, with a thick throat and swollen fingers- a generally uncomfortable feeling. I have a friend that is dangerously allergic- I am not. (MSG is the key ingredient in most "flavor enhancers"- sadly, it's often labelled as "natural flavoring" or other names- it's a natural by product of making soy sauce- lots of kitchen staff don't realize its in their offerings).
    The "ambience" was a little manufactured but the food and people- while not necessarily making me feel like I was in Europe- I definitely didn't feel like I as in Orlando.

Directions: Buffet option in Gaylord Palms, Orlando

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Comfort beyond belief

My room was quite nice with a view of the pool. Lots of ammenities are provided such as a bath robe, iron and ironing board, blow dryer, TV (of course), computer with free internet access. Temperature in my room was very comfortable, the heater wasn't too noisy. The bathroom was very nice.
    The resort has a number of restaurant though I didn't eat at any of them since our conference provided meals 3 times each day. There are a few shops to visit, one of them a Brighton store. Had I not been so tired in the evening and if the hotel permitted past a certain time, I would have taken a dip in the jacuzzi.
    Over all it was a very good experience!

• macdnangel's Profile Photo

Everything you would need in one enormous facility

Gaylord Palms is one of the newest hotel/convention center additions to the Orlando area. The accommodations are phenomenal. The complex has shops, restaurants, a replica of the Everglades, and a spa on-site.

Unique Quality: The hotel is divided in 4 sections. The Everglades, Key West, and right now I am at a loss for the other two. Anyway, each one is unique, but everyone should find at least to their liking.

Directions: It is more near Disney, than the rest of Orlando. You can see it off the main interstate I-4.

• bruingirl's Profile Photo

The ultimate resort!

This hotel truly deserves the 5 stars that it gets! Everything here was top notch from the flora and fauna that decorate this resort to the service and dining options! This place is also HUGE and when I say HUGE, I really mean it! The rooms are a nice size with many rooms facing the lovely atrium that is the center of this resort. The quality and quantity of dining and entertainment options within the resort itself was spectacular! The convention center and business services were convenient and truly first class. There is high speed Internet access in every room. There are laundry services, water & OJ delivery every morning, shuttles to Disney, shopping, pools, jacuzzis that are open 24 hrs, and the list goes on.

Unique Quality: There are two huge pools and 2 jacuzzis at each pool. The resort is divided into seperately themed areas like the Key West, St. Augustine, Emerald Bay, and the Everglades. Each area has been decorated in spirit of the different natural themes of Florida. This entire area of 4.5 acres is enclosed within a glass dome so it feels like you're outside, minus the humidity and heat. Look out for the live alligators!!

Directions: About a 5 minute drive from Disney World.

• cwest03's Profile Photo

A luxury business hotel

Gaylord Palms - At the time of writing this (July 2002) the Gaylord Palms was only about 6 months old and one of the nicest hotels in Orlando. Being nice it's not cheap either (I think about $250-$300 USD a night). I'm paying a corporate rate so mine's a bit better. This is an amazing hotel with a hugue atrium in the middle and lots of good resturants on the grounds.
    You'll pay about $200 to $300 USD per night.

Unique Quality: Nice, new, luxury hotel

More about Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center

Wonderful stay at the Gaylord Palms

Just back from a long weekend at the Gaylord Palms. What a great place!
My husband and I are well seasoned travelers, and I must say Gaylord Palms really impressed. The staff are pleasant, helpful and very friendly, nothing is too much trouble. I think one member of staff summed it up, she said, "we love working at Gaylord Palms, we are proud of the hotel and proud to be working here". Check-in was quick and easy, our room was fairly big and the bed very comfortable. Room and bathroom were very clean and the toiletries of good quality.
Housekeeping is fast and very efficient. A small bottled water and orange juice per person arrive each day and the cost is included in the hotel $10 per day mandatory charge. Our only complaint about the room was the low lighting. There are three distinct themed areas, ST Augustine where we were, then there is Key West and the Everglades.
Plenty of good restaurants and shops, all inside the hotel. In fact it reminded me of the upscale Las Vegas hotels minus the casino. Our ceiling fan was a bit shaky and noisy when we arrived, we mentioned it to the bell hop who delivered our luggage, he said he would report it for us. In less than 5 minutes someone was there to fix it, he was such a friendly guy and told us all about the hotel and the themed areas. He also mentioned the World of Ice that is coming to the hotel in November, this is going to be a world of ice creations, decorated with Christmas lights and Santa, the temperature in the exhibit will be a chilly 9 degrees, but they are supplying parkas to keep you warm. This hotel is a MUST see and stay. The place is huge, make sure you use the correct entrances and elevators, it is easy to get lost or you could have a very long walk to your room. GP is a remarkable place to stay, somewhere you can really enjoy, you are sure to want to go back again and again. If you want to wonder, or are visiting theme parks getting onto the I4 is a breeze from the hotel. I cannot say enough good things about this place, it is certainly different, and I recommend it for the discerning traveler. We will definitely be back.

Interesting stay at Gaylord Palms.

by TripAdvisor Member benuzair

Just returned from a Labor Day weekend stay at Gaylord Palms. What a wonderful property! GP is the sister hotel to the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville; everything about these hotels are big... atriums, public areas, convention center, etc etc. GP is definately an attraction by itself. We stayed at the Emerald Bay section, with the view of the pool, convention center and Epcot's 'golf-ball'. Rooms are nicely decorated with high beds, marble floors in the bathroom, double vanity sink, and turndown service every evening. There is also a computer installed, although it wasn't working. I found out that in October they will be using those computers as interactive guest guides in the rooms; awesome idea! I have to agree with one of the reviewers that the rooms were not well sound-proofed. The water does have a funny smell and taste to it...I call it the "Florida water". Seems to me all the hotels I've stayed in FL has that similar taste/smell. I loved the themed areas of the hotel, especially during the evenings. The areas seemed too artificial during the day. There were lots of waterfalls, koi fish, and tortoises. Do check out the convention center in the evening when there are no meetings, and you will be surprised how HUGE their ballrooms are! We sneeked into a couple of the ballrooms and meeting rooms and they look very impressive. Staff were helpful and polite, especially those working in the retail outlets. There are 1000++ rooms in this hotel and sometimes one might wonder how many of those rooms are occupied. I found out that in Villa de Flora (one of GP's 3 main restaurants), there is a frame on the wall just behind the hostess' desk, and it shows how many of the rooms were occupied on that day. I would recommend GP to anyone who appreciates something more than your usual standard hotel-decor. GP is definately different than the rest. I will definately be back!

Your own private castle

by TripAdvisor Member ChicagoLondon

Just back from long weekend at the Gaylord Palms. This is a beautiful property. Right when you drive into the driveway, you feel quite welcome. Checkin was easy. Room was huge. Beds were ultra comfy. The most comfortable bed I've ever had in a hotel room.

$10 mandatory resort fee includes free Dasani bottled water and Minute Maid orange juice in the fridge. Bathroom products are very nice. The only complaint I have about the room is the low lighting. Perhaps bulbs needed to be changed?? Each room has a computer on the desk with free internet access.

Housing keeping was very good and prompt. Room service is guaranteed in 30 minutes or it's free.

Hotel is HUGE to say the least. Everything about this property is grand. Elevators to room are very fast. Hotel was sold out while we were there, however because of the magnitude of the property, we never felt it was too crowded.

There are quite a few restaurants here. There is also a 24 hour coffee house with sandwiches, muffins and salads. Ever seen a Godiva, Ben & Jerry's store and Canyon Ranch Spa in a hotel??

Literally, you have no reason to leave this place. It has everything except indoor pools. All the pools and whirlpools are outside. Other than that, it's a great place to get a way.

I strongly recommend this place.

GREAT PLACE TO STAY

My wife and I have taken many trips and stayed in all types of places, but the Gaylord Palms has to be one of the BEST! EVERYTHING about our stay was AWWESOME and MORE! What a place to relax and just enjoy the environment. We are senior citizens who have the reputation of maybe being difficult to please, etc. etc. Well, we were pleased and we also received satisfaction watching others having a great time also, including many families.

I cannot imagine people having a bad experience at this hotel. I am amazed at some of the negative comments I have read. Are you sure you were staying at the Gaylord or are you one of those arrogant, hard to please, love to complain about anything, unhappy, sour pussed, sour grapes individuals running around the world today? By all means, stay at this hotel again, relax, loosen up--you just might enjoy yourself.
If not, by all means please find yourself another place to gripe about!!!

The Gaylord Palms -- ICE!The Gaylord Palms -- ICE!

Florida "Snowmen" -- Gaylord PalmsFlorida "Snowmen" -- Gaylord Palms

"ICE" at Gaylord Palms Resort"ICE" at Gaylord Palms Resort

"Luminescence" at the Gaylord Palms Resort"Luminescence" at the Gaylord Palms Resort

Hotel near Gaylord Palms in Orlando

by guta

Hi,
I am going to a meeting in the end of march, which will take place at this hotel. However, I would like to go to a cheaper hotel nearby (at a walking distance would be the best).
Any recommendations for nice and affordable hotels near Gaylord Palms in Orlando?
Thanks a lot!