Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center

See Popular Hotels

Tags

Business Travel Family Travel Spa and Resort
See Amenities

Very nice, but hidden fees and pricey food

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 15, 2010

I have come to the conclusion, that the more expensive a resort, the more they like to tack on hidden fees.
The web site said they had a shuttle from the airport. They do use a shuttle service and it costs $20.
They also charge a "resort fee" for you to use their internet, fitness room and they give you 2 bottles of water a day (if you don't use them, you don't get extra), plus some other stuff they say is covered with this fee, that I didn't pay attention to.
Fitness room: music was so loud I lost hearing while trying to exercise. When you can't hear the TV news with earbuds, because the music playing in the room is blaring, the music is too loud. I didn't have a problem with the selection, just the volume (it was like standing in the flight path of planes landing at an airport).
They also charged extra to park your own car, and had no signage to direct you to the parking (I think they wanted you to use valet parking, which was even more expensive).
Then you tack on the hotel taxes ( translation: I am old and don't think I should pay taxes for my services, so let the tourist do it).
Conclusion: the room price they quote is not what you are going to pay.
The food in the restaurants was great and the service was excellent, but was not inexpensive. If you want to eat some where else, you have to have a car.
I rented a car at the OLDTOWN Budget rent a car in Kissimmee. Rumor has it the prices are higher at the airport due to extra taxes they have for the "tourist". The Oldtown Budget people picked me up at the Gaylord and took me to their office (very close) and had me out of there in no time. If you need a car in the Kissimmee area, call 407-396-0928.
The hotel is nice, the service is great as is the food. Just be prepared to pay more than the quoted price.

Unique Quality: Atrium is great.

Good Food

by written on August 29, 2009

I was there on business- in and out in 24 hours, the room was good sized, clean and the bed was comfy.

Unique Quality: Villa Del Flora: European Buffet? I typically avoid hotel buffets restaurant options but my schedule made this the only reasonable options. I hadn't eaten all day and I was running late for a meeting but needed a volume of food fast. I am sensitive to MSG (mono-sodium glutamate) and nearly every hotel restaurant (esp. buffets) use a ton of it. I asked- they said no(more on this at the end). They invited me to peruse the buffet and I was amazed at the variety, presentation and staff that were manning stations, so I listened to my stomach and bit the bullet- $28 for dinner.
Long story short- my meeting was moved to the next day and I have the evening to catch up on the two meals I had missed earlier in the day. Boy did I. The food quality was great. The ingredients were fresh and the selection was amazing. Fresh hummus, olives, cheeses, shrimp, Greek offerings, a fresh pasta station, 3 meat carvings (very good lamb), salads of every variety and about a dozen desserts. I spent an hour and a half truly relaxing and dining in a fashion I haven't since I was last in Europe. I was never rushed, the staff was friendly and offered recipe and preparation advice. The coffee I had with desert was even worth noting.
Back to my MSG concern. Here's the deal, if you are mildly allergic- like I am- it's common to wake up in the middle of the night after an MSG "enhanced" meal quite thirsty, with a thick throat and swollen fingers- a generally uncomfortable feeling. I have a friend that is dangerously allergic- I am not. (MSG is the key ingredient in most "flavor enhancers"- sadly, it's often labelled as "natural flavoring" or other names- it's a natural by product of making soy sauce- lots of kitchen staff don't realize its in their offerings).
The "ambience" was a little manufactured but the food and people- while not necessarily making me feel like I was in Europe- I definitely didn't feel like I as in Orlando.

Directions: Buffet option in Gaylord Palms, Orlando

GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Comfort beyond belief

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 13, 2007

My room was quite nice with a view of the pool. Lots of ammenities are provided such as a bath robe, iron and ironing board, blow dryer, TV (of course), computer with free internet access. Temperature in my room was very comfortable, the heater wasn't too noisy. The bathroom was very nice.
The resort has a number of restaurant though I didn't eat at any of them since our conference provided meals 3 times each day. There are a few shops to visit, one of them a Brighton store. Had I not been so tired in the evening and if the hotel permitted past a certain time, I would have taken a dip in the jacuzzi.
Over all it was a very good experience!

macdnangel's Profile Photo

Everything you would need in one enormous facility

by written on October 19, 2004

Gaylord Palms is one of the newest hotel/convention center additions to the Orlando area. The accommodations are phenomenal. The complex has shops, restaurants, a replica of the Everglades, and a spa on-site.

Unique Quality: The hotel is divided in 4 sections. The Everglades, Key West, and right now I am at a loss for the other two. Anyway, each one is unique, but everyone should find at least to their liking.

Directions: It is more near Disney, than the rest of Orlando. You can see it off the main interstate I-4.

bruingirl's Profile Photo

The ultimate resort!

by written on July 26, 2004

This hotel truly deserves the 5 stars that it gets! Everything here was top notch from the flora and fauna that decorate this resort to the service and dining options! This place is also HUGE and when I say HUGE, I really mean it! The rooms are a nice size with many rooms facing the lovely atrium that is the center of this resort. The quality and quantity of dining and entertainment options within the resort itself was spectacular! The convention center and business services were convenient and truly first class. There is high speed Internet access in every room. There are laundry services, water & OJ delivery every morning, shuttles to Disney, shopping, pools, jacuzzis that are open 24 hrs, and the list goes on.

Unique Quality: There are two huge pools and 2 jacuzzis at each pool. The resort is divided into seperately themed areas like the Key West, St. Augustine, Emerald Bay, and the Everglades. Each area has been decorated in spirit of the different natural themes of Florida. This entire area of 4.5 acres is enclosed within a glass dome so it feels like you're outside, minus the humidity and heat. Look out for the live alligators!!

Directions: About a 5 minute drive from Disney World.

cwest03's Profile Photo

A luxury business hotel

by written on August 24, 2002

Gaylord Palms - At the time of writing this (July 2002) the Gaylord Palms was only about 6 months old and one of the nicest hotels in Orlando. Being nice it's not cheap either (I think about $250-$300 USD a night). I'm paying a corporate rate so mine's a bit better. This is an amazing hotel with a hugue atrium in the middle and lots of good resturants on the grounds.
You'll pay about $200 to $300 USD per night.

Unique Quality: Nice, new, luxury hotel

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Orlando Travel Forum

Need advice about Orlando, Florida? Visit the Travel Forum for Orlando and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Orlando hotel reviews