Hawthorn Suites Lake Buena Vista Orlando

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

8303 Palm Parkway, (formerly Savona Suites Lake Buena Vista), Orlando, Florida, 32836, United States

Hawthorn Suites Lake Buena Vista
Booking.com Orbitz.com Hawthorn.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• alancollins's Profile Photo

Relaxed hotel

This was our first stay at the Hawthorn Suites. The check in procedure was quick and easy. Because it was an extended stay we were put in a corner room at one end of the hotel. The room can almost be described as a 1 bedroom apartment at 547sq ft. The kitchen area comes equipped a fridge/freezer, toaster, coffee maker, Ironing board & iron, a hob with 2 rings, microwave, pots, pans crockery, cutlery and other odds and ends. There is a dishwasher but detergent for it was only occasionally supplied. You only get a small amount of coffee supplied, though there is always coffee and tea available in the Breakfast room 24/7. There was a table and 4 chairs available to sit down and eat your meals. The open plan living area comes with a CRT TV housed in a unit with 2 drawers, a bed settee and 1 armchair. We had a king size bedroom which come with an armchair, an office chair, bedside cabinets, clock, wardrobe and there was a unit with 3 drawers and another CRT TV. Plenty of clean towels and toiletries were supplied during our stay. There are no safe deposit boxes in your room and you have to use one at the reception desk, which is small, though it is free. There is a small quantity of different foods available for sale next to the reception desk but these can only be regarded as emergency supplies. There is a fitness room available but I only saw it being used a few of times and a small games room. The hotel includes a free breakfast and what is on offer varies slightly each day. The room can become full at certain times with no free tables. It can also become a bit of a scrum with the restricted space for the buffet style food on offer. The same area is used Monday to Thursday where complimentary snacks and drinks are provided. I thought this was going to end up as some sales pitch but no you are lefty alone. Outside there is plenty of space available for parking and the grounds are well kept. There is a small swimming pool, hot tub, sun loungers, tables and chairs. I always found the staff always cheerful, friendly and helpful. The atmosphere is very relaxed. Housekeeping made us a number of animals out of towels during our stay. Others have described the hotel and rooms as tired. A complete renovation is due to start in May, with one floor being completed at a time. The hotel is due to stay on during the renovation. Our room had a couple of cracked tiles and some melamine was coming off a cupboard door. Otherwise it was in reasonable condition. If you used the bed settee you might be troubled by noise from the fridge/freezer and people walking along the corridor past your door. We shut the doors to the separate bedroom we slept in and were never troubled by noise. The bed was also extremely comfortable which also helped a good nights sleep. The hotel is close to food outlets, restaurants and Downtown Disney, all of them within a few minutes drive. We thought this was a great hotel and we would certainly stay again.

Unique Quality: Very friendly staff

Directions: A short drive from junction 68 on interstate 4

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

A fantastic hotel

Hawthorn Suites Lake Buena Vista Orlando is a luxury hotel located few minutes by car from the most important theme parks of Orlando (Disney World, Universal Studios and Seaworld).
    The suites of the hotel are very big and comfortable. All of them have a separate living room and bedroom with a full kitchen perfect for families or any extended stay.
    The rate included a daily full hot American breakfast buffet, an evening social hour Monday through Thursday and complimentary scheduled shuttle service to and from Walt Disney World.
    This hotel is the perfect place for family and business travelers.

Unique Quality: Hawthorn Suites Lake Buena Vista Orlando is a fantastic hotel close to the main theme parks of Orlando. The staff is very friendly and you have, included in the rate, a very good hot American breakfast buffet. Free high speed internet connection in room and a pool.
    Enjoy your stay.

More about Hawthorn Suites Lake Buena Vista Orlando

The ultimate review of Hawthorn Suites LBV

Review of Hawthorn Suites, Lake Buena Vista

Well everybody, I’m back from Disney and it was awesome.
I wanted to write all about this hotel (Hawthorn Suites, LBV) because I know I would appreciate it if I could find as much info. as I could about a hotel I’ve never stayed at before.

We thought this was the best hotel for the money. Everything was terrific. I will list in detail:

LOCATION:
Hawthorn Suites in Lake Buena Vista is located at 8303 Palm Parkway. They have a website: --------------------- . Palm Parkway is a very convenient location in LBV. This particular hotel is about 1/4 mile north of Route 535 (Apopka-Vineland Rd), and there are restaurants in that area as well as a Shell and Citgo and shopping plazas. Just make a left at that light (535) and one minute later you are reaching the I-4 or before you even reach that there is an entrance right into the Dowtown Disney area on the right (Hotel Plaza Blvd)– about 5 min. drive to DTD. Overall, we loved this location better than the Disney resort area (we drove to Animal Kingdom Lodge & Polynesian and they were basically we felt, in the middle of nowhere) we like to have access to roads, shopping, restaurants, Walgreens, etc. Some of the restaurants around there were:
TGIF’s, The Crab House, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Pizza Hut, to name a few.

EXTERIOR:
* The building is only about 4 years old or so and looks very new and pretty.
* The outside is a stucco finish and really nice architecture. (see photo on their site).
* The landscaping is nice as well.
• There is enough parking available and we came home at all different hours.

INTERIOR:
As you approach the entrance, the automatic doors open and you walk into a very beautiful lobby area. The ceilings are very high and the lighting is gorgeous. The fixtures are very pretty – a chandelier hangs over an elaborate floral arrangement on a round table in the center of the lobby.
**Another plus is that the hotel never smelled funny. It always didn’t smell like anything – if that makes sense. It always smelled fresh and clean. No odors of any kind.

The front desk/counter area is to the right and is very pretty. As I said, everything is so new and clean and fresh.
• There is a gift shop in the lobby
• The tourist information area service specialist (a woman named Vanessa) is extremely helpful and informative.
• The staff is very efficient and know what they are doing. They want to provide you with the best service and want you to be happy. This is what I found through the entire stay. (8 nites)
• The elevators had tiled floors (very pretty tile)
• There are interior corridors, which is convenient and I feel more safe
• There are only 5 floors (I don’t like high rises)

HALLWAYS/ DÉCOR:
* The hallways had this thick, plush tropical floral carpeting that was very pretty.
• The lighting in the hallway was very pretty, and soft. The fixtures are pretty too.
• The color of the walls are a rich peachy-stucco color/finish and the room number signs, etc. are in a hunter green color.
• The doors are made of steel (I believe) and they seemed to be very solid and secure. The doors to each room have their own “entry” about a 1 foot indentation from the wall, which just adds to the pretty look of the hotel.

THE ROOM:
We stayed in a King room (not a suite) and it was very nice. We had a view of the pool, basketball area. The décor was very pretty and new. The rug wasn’t “cheap” looking, it was very pretty w/ hunter green and ivory check pattern – fancy though, not cheap. The material the rug is made out of is shiny-ish, not rough commercial carpeting. The dresser had only 3 drawers and 1 desk drawer and lots of hangers in the closet. We brought a ton of clothes and they all seemed to fit just fine. The bedroom furniture is an oak type wood/color. We had cable tv and lots of channels.

THE BATHROOM:
Our standard room came with a tub and shower and a nice sized sink with a built in tissue dispenser. There was a magnifying mirror on the wall with a movable arm. There was a built in fan as well. The décor was all new and the floor was tiled nicely. The towels were a pretty deep ivory color and were always replaced with new ones each day, always folded in an artful way. The toiletries were tucked inside decorative fanned towel displays.

TOILETRIES:
The toiletries they left us were: Breck Shampoo (with vitamins, etc), TONE hand soap
(my favorite soap in the world) and Dial body bars ( a pretty good size too) and a shoe mitt (to shine shoes), plenty of towels, hand towels, wash cloths, tissues tucked inside the sick counter are convenient.

THE POOL: Every day we at breakfast and had a view of the pool. We saw 2 people from an outside pool company come every single day and check the water (they took samples every day) and cleaned the pool. We were very impressed with that. We went in the pool one time (because we were out all the time) and it smelled clean. They provide towels for you, located against the wall. There are reclining chairs for all. Even though the parking lot white fence is “in view” as others might have mentioned, we didn’t even notice it. The pool is pretty big and my DH had enough room to swim back and forth.

HOUSEKEEPING: The staff was terrific. They did an excellent job cleaning the room, making the bed and changing the sheets. They left me extra pens and pads and tissues when I asked. They fanned out the bathroom washcloth and towel and artfully tucked soap /shampoo inside. The pens are great. They even tuck the toilet paper under and form it into a “V” shape. I like the attention to detail. They housekeepers all seemed very nice and professional. They all seemed to care about their job and themselves. They presented a nice image of housekeepers.

BREAKFAST / BREAKFAST AREA:
This hotel includes a free deluxe hot breakfast! How amazing is that? I thought the breakfast they offered was delicious and enjoyed sitting in a large airy space with windows overlooking the pool. This area is off the lobby. There is nice carpeting and beautiful tables and chairs (fancy) and fancy curtains on the windows. There were always enough tables and food. There is a “lounge” area built in that area w/ couches and a tv center for the kids. The “Kitchen” had all different “zones” with the following foods:

Their breakfast included:
• Hot, fresh scrambled eggs (alternating days with….
• …Fresh, hot vegetable omelettes
• Tater tots
• Sausage links (the best I’ve ever had)
• English muffins
• Bagels (plain)
• White bread for toasting
• Toaster Machines (2 of them, totaling 6 slots)
• Fresh butter, cream cheese

• Coffee (awesome caw-fee), Tea, Orange Juice, Apple Juice
• There are coffee mugs and Styrofoam coffee cups with lids, if you want to travel with your coffee (beverage)
• Cereals (froot loops and corn flakes?) with cold whole milk

Total for 8 nites: $660

I have photos if anyone wants to see.

OK place to stay, but had a rather large problem

by TripAdvisor Member SPDNC

We just got back from our stay at Hawthorn Suites LBV. It was a very good hotel for the money. Our room was clean and the complimentary breakfast (even though it was the same thing every day with very minor changes) saved us from having to buy breakfast every day.

One major thing that happened to us and why we won't be going back is that we returned from being gone all day to find that our room had been left unlocked and slightly opened by the cleaning staff. Luckily we were at the end of the hall so not a lot of people would be going by and nothing was taken. This happened on a Saturday night. I called the front desk and explained what happened and that I was upset about it. The man at the front desk said he would leave a note for the manager and the cleaning staff. My husband also walked up to the front and talked to a lady there who started making excuses about how busy the cleaning staff is. We asked when the manager would be back and we were told Monday morning at 8:00.

Monday morning we talked to the manager and even though there was an apology, he started making the same excuses about the staff being busy and then looked straight at my husband and said "what do you want?" Not "how can I make this up to you" or "let me do this for your inconvenience" but "what do you want". I told him that I wanted his staff to check people's doors before they leave from now on and that we wanted him to be aware that it happened. Also I wanted him to know that for a couple of days I was afraid to let them in my room for fear of it happening again. I put the do not disturb sign on the door so they wouldn't come in. I finally let them back in just because the room needed some attention. I didn't want to be worrying about our things while we were trying to have fun. We were very offended by his attitude. All we wanted was for it not to happen to us or anybody else again and wanted the manager to hear it from us directly. He told us they were having a staff meeting that day and that he would come in early the next day to let us know if the problem had been settled. The next day he did not come in early like he said he would, so we never heard a thing from him again.

I just thought the entire situation was handled very badly and they will not be getting our business again.

Pleasantly surprised - would definitely return!

Being regular Hyatt resort users, we didn't expect Hawthorn to be anywhere near Hyatt comfort, but we were pleasantly surprised. Aesthetically, the lobby area is beautiful. The gift shop is conveniently open til 11pm and has good prices. The breakfast was decent for complimentary - eggs/omelettes (not made to order, tho), sausage, tater tots, pastries, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, juices. The evening snack (meal on Wed) was respectable (meatballs, chips & salsa, cocktails). The staff was friendly and helpful, and responded promptly to requests, and housekeeping did a great job cleaning up after our 3 kids! The suite was respectable, not spectacular, but perfectly fine - small kitchen w/ 2 burners, full fridge, microwave, dishwasher, dishes & utensils. My husband used the outdoor grills and was pleased that they were gas like what we have at home. It is true that cold air did disproportionately blow on one side of one bed, but each suite has its own temp control. All in all, for a family used to really nice resorts, this place held its own for a fraction of the price. Don't get me wrong, it's not the Hyatt, but it's not $300 a night, either...

Would stay again in a heartbeat

This hotel was one of the best we have stayed at in the Orlando area. They were extremely helpful in attempting to accomodate my requests for a 1st floor room and having our second room as close as possible-which few hotels have ever done for us. (And this was after the hurricane when they were operating at full capacity.) The staff was pleasant and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The grounds were neat and attractive. While the pool and hot tub were a little small, they were sparkling and not any smaller than some others we have patronized. The breakfast, too, was adequate and similar to others. The location is very convenient and the price we paid could not be beat. The only suggestion I would have is that the shower seat in the handicapped room we had was very slippery. It might be all right for a grown person, however, my 8-year old granddaughter (who has cerebral palsy) had a difficult time not slipping off. All in all, as my niece said, we would stay there again "in a heartbeat".

Great place, great location can't wait to go back!

Husband, 2 daughters and myself got back Sunday 29th August from a fantastic 3 week vacation. (Hurricane Charley was an experience not to be forgotten! We were all glued to the weather channel. Got to hand to the American's they sure do tidy up quick!) Hawthorne Suites is a place we will be definitely going back to and would recommend it to anyone going to Florida. Great loction Universal one way, Disney the other. Plenty of places to eat many in walking distance. The staff, whether it was the reception staff, cleaners or the maintenance men, couldn't have more helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Our room was cleaned every day, towels and bed linen changed regular, coffee available 24 hours, Breakfast was a bonus with girls aged 10 & 15 they were able to go down to breakfast when they were ready, yes it was the same thing each morning but it was free and you didn't have to go far for it! The pool is small but never crowed so was no problem. The suites have everything you need, a large fridge freezer, dishwasher, microwave, hob, all the usual utensils. two t.v's which were great to relax in front of after a busy day at the theme parks. The beds were comfortable, large wardrobe, adequate drawers, table and 4 chairs and a large comfy bed settee.

Roll on 2006 when we'll be going back to Florida and staying at the Hawthorn Suites again.

Quite a deal

Good sized, clean room(s). There were a few paltry issues (bad remote for tv, lack of towels) that were quickly corrected. For the money, this hotel is a GREAT deal. I stayed for 5 days on business but would not hesitate to to return with my 3 kids and persnickety wife....

a few minor quibbles...

this is a reasonable hotel but...

the breakfast owes more to McDonalds than the aspirational hotel it wants to be. Cheap and nasty eggs sausages and fried potatoes with no "healthy options". If you are into high fat, high carb options...this is your place.

we booked a non smoking room but got one on a floor where you had to wade thro' the smoke to get to the elevator. Great for kids..

the pool is S M A L L [despite other reports] and very cold [despite it being 88 oF air temperature].
The lock to the pool is broken and the gate was jammed open so little kids can walk straight in !

Our room was dirty and the level of cookware was unacceptably low. Room service did not visit every day [and on most days they made the bed and left] and towel levels were too low.

The TV remotes do not work [as mentioned elsewhere]

The air con is very noisy for a new hotel

I am not sure how many hotels our "ultimate" guide visits, but I stay at 2-3 per month and for it's price this hotel needs to try harder !!

I went to this hotel on the build up from the TA site [which is ususally 100 % accurate]

On this occasion, this hotel is over rated. It is a reasonable hotel for budget visitors with few quality facilities. No more and no less.

Yes, I'd stay there again, but lets not get carried away with what is only an average hotel

Hawthorn Suites, A nice place to stay!!

Hello All, Just returned from "The Happiest Place On Earth" hubby and I were there for 16 glorious days and 15 nights!! Weather was great with little or no rain to speak of!! Stayed at the Hawthorn for the first time this trip. Let me start by saying that the Lobby impressed us on our arrival. It was spacious and very nicely furnished. Check in was a breeze, no gliches. Our room was clean, well stocked with towels (there was only 2 of us), T.V.s and applicances all worked well. Including our remotes. There was a problem with the movies (pay per-view type) and we did find it strange that these were only offered on the bedroom Tv. Also a bit odd that the recliner was in the bedroom instead of the living room, but I guess space in the L.R was an issue. I agree with a former writer, that the kitchen pots and pans left a bit to be desired, but also take into consideration that they are used and abused by many a vacationer! The water pressure on the 5th floor was lacking a bit...could have used more pressure for sure!! But I guess again, that being on the 5th floor had something to do with this. If it was my home, I would have had more complaints, but for the amount of time we spent there, we managed. We have had experiences with a few other suite hotels that offer free breakfasts, and found this one a bit short of the mark! Hubby is an egg eater, I'm not, and he found the offerings every morning not to his liking! The eggs were watery or shall I say as he did...swimming in water. Which I assume was because they were heated and covered, which was causing condensation to build up in the chafing dish. This is surely something that they need to address, although there were plenty of people (perhaps not as fussy as him) partaking in them. There was also no varitey each day in the cold cereals they offered. We just avoided the breakfast, except for coffee and juices, and did our own thing. All in all....We found the Hawthorn Suites to be a good clean hotel. Housekeeping was not a problem at all. Always clean fresh towels everyday, including dish towels. Soaps and shampoos left new each day. Dishwasher ran and coffee, tea, sugars and creamers left also. We would defintely stay here again, and it is soo close to the attractiions, without paying the prices for On Property stays at Disney! Hope this helps future travelers!!

Not so great.....

by TripAdvisor Member dadbee

The hotel is in a area with many other hotels (Embassy Suites, Sierra Suites, etc). Excellent location with easy access to Disney World, restaurants, and shopping. The Hawthorn looks good on the outside but the interior construction seemed cheap. The doorknobs in our room were broken, the drawers in the desk did not close, and the main lobby was spartan - not what I expected for the money.

The best thing about the room (besides location) was the housekeeping. They did a great job of keeping the place clean and tidy. My wife was very pleased. Kudos to the housekeeping staff.

The worst thing was the food. I've stayed in several other hotels with complimentary breakfast, and this was the worst by far. Tater Tots and sausage every single morning for a week! The eggs were awful. I guess my toddlers didn't mind because they don't know better!

The pool was not heated and too cool for my family to use during the day while I was working. Too bad. No VCRs in the rooms? We brought tapes to show the kids but could not use them.

The night staff was very friendly. The day staff was professional but curt. The manager was friendly and helpful but not available in the evenings or weekend when we needed to talk to him.

I would probably not return. I would pick another suite hotel in the same area with better food, a warmer pool, and nicer interior feel. I basically felt like this place was trying to compete with other suites in the area, but cutting too many corners in quality.

Comments