Hawthorn Suites Universal Orlando

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• gcmm's Profile Photo

Nice place to stay

the Hawthorn Suites was a very nice place. We had 5 people and we had plenty of room. Our suite unlike many suites of other hotels had two Queen beds and a queen pull out sofa.
    The two queen beds were in a seperate bed room with T.V and there was a living room-kitchen area with T.V, VCR. there was a seperate sink area and bathroom shower. The kitchen had a fridge,stove,micro wave,etc..So if you want you can buy food and eat in the room.
    Everyone was very nice and helpful. There was a little variety shop and tour person down stairs.
    It is not within walking distance to Universal, taking the shuttle which is provided is the best way.

The only problem was in the shuttles times.They were not accomodating.Times were 7.9.11,12 leaving for universal and returning at 4,6,8:30,10:30.... so if you were not there or wanted to leave at a different time you had to wait or get a taxi for 6-8 dollars.....

the pool was basic but nice and there was a basketball court ,game room, and exercise area( basic)...

Unique Quality: The hotel offers full buffet breakfest and dinner on Wed night. Each night there is a happy hour,free drinks and veggie trays.
    Located on Canada drive,right near international drive, it is within walking distance of many shops and resturants and all kinds of things to do, very convienent....

Directions: Near wet and wild and international drive

More about Hawthorn Suites Universal Orlando

Exciting

by TripAdvisor Member frozensmoke99

Well, I don't even know where to begin when writing this review.

My daughter and me arrived in Orlando on the 16th of August, planning to stay to the 23rd (by the way Mears Transportation to the hotel transported us from MCO). We were the third family to be dropped off on the International Drive chain of Hotels. The drive from the airport to the hotel was no longer than 30 minutes (being the 3rd people to drop off). The sight was beautiful, all the palm trees, the tourists, the shops and restaurants.

When we arrived at the hotel, the outside look was up to date (there were no moldings, renovations being done, etc). Just looked like a normal hotel from the outside. We walked in and went straight to the check in counter. The young woman name Erika was very sweet. She explained how the process worked (the happy hour, free buffet breakfast, free dinners every Wednesday night, shuttle service, etc). She handed me the 2 keys and asked if I would need a third just in case (which I didn't). The hotel was very clean and quiet. Our room was on the top floor (6th) with a pool view... how great can that be (without the extra charge)...Okay, so here it all begins.

1st: The walk from the check in desk to the elevator seemed like it took centuries (next year when I go, I will make sure to ask for a bottom floor room...nah, I really liked my room and I will explain why later). Okay, so back where I left off. We get on the elevator (I thought the walk was long, the elevator took even longer). It was as if there was a 10-15 second delay between each floor, crazy huh? So we get off, and get this, the walk to the room was the same distance as the walk to the elevator from the check in counter.

2nd: I opened my room door only to find a small (their bedroom and living room put together is just a tad bit bigger than the size of my master bedroom back home in Boston) but comfortable suite that overlooks the pool and somewhat out towards Sand Lake Drive and other hotels in the far distance. I walked around checking out the fully equipped kitchen (that comes with 2 eye burner, microwave, full fridge w/ ice maker in freezer, dishwasher, sink, toaster, coffee maker, pots and pans, and utensils...man you can't beat that). The living room was clean that had a 25" screen TV, VCR, stereo system w/ tape deck, temp control for heat and cool air, pull out queen bed, and phone. The bedroom was also very clean that had 2 full queen size beds, desk, another 25" TV, mirror walk in closet and a phone, (the bathroom [toilet and shower/tub] was separated by the vanity room with sink [which was also separated by the bedroom and kitchen]). The 1st night, I just relaxed inside the hotel and watched some television. The night was quiet and even though you could see people in the pool, you couldn't hear a peep.

3rd: The next morning, I got up and went down for their buffet breakfast...yes nothing spectacular. They had the regulars (eggs which were kind of water from either water or grease, bacon, sausages, pancakes, grits, oatmeal, and French toast which seemed as if they had to much egg in it). My take is if your really a breakfast person and don’t mind spending 7 bucks for a real breakfast buffet, go to the Golden Corral around the corner, otherwise that is what you get. My plans for my field trips started the next day, so this would be my chance of testing out the hotels shuttle service. The shuttles for Disney Parks leave at 3 times in the morning with the last drop off from the hotel being 11 (which is what I chose) and returning 3 times at night (which is 10, which I missed). Shuttle guy was nice. He dropped us off at Epcot and explained where we needed to be back at to catch shuttle service back to hotel. This is where the problems started...After the cinderallbration (fireworks and etc at MK) were over the crowd were unbearable to get through. By the time I got off the monorail it was 9:58, I ran through the crowds only to find that the shuttle had just pulled off. I was left at Epcot with 2 other families. I called the hotel and spoke with Erika again who was acceptingly sweet, who said she would take of it. Me and the other 2 families just decided on taking a cab back to the hotel. When we got back to the hotel, Erika was very apologetic on behalf of the hotel. The next day I walked the strip (international Drive), with so much to do, I was overly excited. I got back to the hotel to find my room restocked with fresh towels and other supplies (for kitchen, dirty dishes taking away since I never used their dishwasher).

All right, I see I am getting a little too specific, so I will sum this up real quick (which I should’ve done from the jump). Staying there was a great experience; it is a nice place to meet many people from around the world. The pool is small but great for relaxing. I already explained the breakfast. Happy hour was nice and free (not many drinks to choose from but if you re a martini, sea breeze, beer, etc kind of person, its great), hotel staff are wonderful always trying to accommodate you, shuttle service is shaky (next time I will rent a car) but the I-ride trolleys are great (you can even take them to Sea World which I did, Magic Kingdom which I should of done, and other great parks. It’s real nice for any family type. Any questions, please feel free to email me at frozensmoke99@hotmail.com. I will be at Hawthorn Suites Universal Studios again next year, hopefully in the same suite.

PS: I also have tons of pics, but when I get the hang of using my camera with a computer, the rest of the world will get to see what I saw.

Very Reasonable

by TripAdvisor Member TAFanToronto

Can't be the value for the price - I got a deal via their website @ $75/night. The complimentary hot breakfast buffet was good & well stocked. One day it consisted of eggs, sausage, grits, french toast. The next day it consisted of eggs, bacon, oatmeal, pancakes. Lots of drinks to choose from. There was the usual 'continental style' breakfast also. We tried out their complimentary happy hour one night - margueritas, wine & nachos. I saw a sign that seem to indicate a complimentary dinner on Wednesday's happy hour??? We booked a room with 2 queen size beds & one pullout couch for 3 adults & 2 small children. It was clean. The kitchen consisted of 2 burners, a refrigerator, dishwasher, cutlery, dishes, pots & pans, and utensils. We were supplied with liquid&powder dish detergent. Didn't use the burners, but the dishwasher & refrigerator came in handy. The wash basin was outside of the bathroom (where the shower/bathtub & toilet were), which suited us, as one could be showering as the other brushed their teeth. The pool appeared to be heated, as we saw steam coming off the surface, but we were there when the temperature was about 32 F so we didn't test it.

You can walk to Wet & Wild, but not to Universal Studios.

I would recommend this hotel to my family & friends.

Has everything, good deal

by TripAdvisor Member Aurorahm

This hotel turned out to be exactly what I expected. It is one of the few with a free breakfast, shuttles to both Universal and Disney and suites. We are a family with 2 teens. The male slept in the main area on the sleeper sofa and could stay up late, while the rest of us slept in the bedroom and went to bed early. There were 2 TVs which kept everyone happy. We had free internet service for the laptop and the divided bathroom was a lifesaver in the mornings. I have never been to a hotel that had a full American breakfast everyday for free. Only complaints were that the rooms needed to be cleaner and one bed was not up to hotel quality. The shuttle was late everyday and broke down once. The shuttle serviced many hotels and was standing room only everyday. Also, the hot tub was not working on the one cool day. All in all it was an excellent deal compared to the outrageously priced Disney hotels w/expensive food and no Universal shuttles.

Great Value for Families

by TripAdvisor Member bmczt

Vacationed w/husband and four children (18, 13, 9, & 7). Found rooms very clean and spacious. Housekeeping did a wonderful job. Location was great as we were visiting Universal Studios for 5 days (just a couple of blocks away - Wet and Wild is within walking distance). Breakfast buffet is included in the stay and is decent for a quick meal. We paid approx $135.00 per night and felt the hotel was well worth the money for a family of six. Did not utilize the kitchen except for the refrigerator for soda's and bottled water, however everything looked clean and well maintained. Pool is very standard if you are planning to spend a great amount of time @ the hotel to swim and use the hotel facilities (ex. spa, exercise rooms, pool, hot tub) this may not be the hotel for you. Overall we were very happy with our stay, definitely a "Family Friendly" hotel.

Roomy & Convenient

by TripAdvisor Member Visionmixer

The Hawthorn suites hotel was the most carefree and affordable
experience our family has had in the Orlando area. The rooms have a
real bedroom with an actual door, not just a divider or louvers. The
washroom was accessible from both the living and bedroom with separate
doors from each room. The toilet and shower area also had a door
separtating it from the vanity area.

Our unit had two queen sized beds and a pull out sofa in the living area.
Other amenties included two TVs, a decent sized fridge, two burner stove,
sink and microwave.
The room was in decent shape, no musty odors or problems with noisy
AC units. The room was also very quiet, we did not hear any noises
during our two nite stay.
The hotel includes a free breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, biscuits and gravy(was sort of soupy) and a selection of breads,
bagels and beverages. Between 5:30 and 7:30 they have a free happy hour, didn't go but they had free nachos and I am not sure if there was a limit on the number of free coctails given out.
The only thing I did not like about our stay there was the temperature of the pool. The water was warm like bathwater and not the least bit refreshing. The pool furniture was very comfortable and clean. The pool area also has a jacuzzi and a basketball hoop.

The property is within walking distance of many restaurants and easy access to the I-Drive attractions and only 15 mins from either Disney
or Downtown Orlando.

I would definitely stay here again, the one bedroom units is just so suited for a family with kids. It is nice to put them to bed in a separate room so that the wife and I dont have to go to bed at 8pm. All hotels should be like this. By the way, our rate was an $80 internet rate, what a bargain.

Highly recomend

by TripAdvisor Member cobk

For what we paid, you couldn't ask for more. We had a one bedroom suite. Very roomy and comfortable. Bedroom had two double beds. Sofa pulled out for another bed. Full size kitchen and appliances. Free breakfast every morning, eggs, sausage, french toast. Free drinks every night. Free dinner once a week, not fancy but good for free. Close to many attractions. Pool wasn't huge but big enough. A very good stay. Thanks Hawthorn Suites.

Great Hotel!!! Great Price!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Arial99

I recently stayed at this Hotel for 4 Nights from 05/17-05/21. Me and my husband were down in Orlando to go to Universal Studios for our 1 yr anniversary. I picked this hotel because of the price just $79- a night and the good reviews on this site. It is right off of Sand Lake Drive which is a major street. Canada drive is right across from the Wyndham resort on Sand Lake Drive. It is honestly a 10 min drive to Universal Studios and a 20-30 min drive to Walt Disney World. There are plenty of restaurants on the strip as well as mini golf for some night entertainment to relax. The breakfast was good enough for me, They had scrambled eggs plain and with onions and peppers, toast, sausage, and home fries for breakfast all warm and if the dining room is crowded just bring it upstairs and enjoy it in your room. The staff was quite friendly and accomadating helping us with any problem that arrived. The room was excellent. We had two double beds in a seperate bedroom, and a living room with a pull out double bed. I would honestly stay here again if I came back with my family plenty of space for everyone. I cannot comment much on the pool because I did not go in it but it appeared very small. All in all a wonderful hotel. If you are stuck between this one and another one you will not be disappointed if you pick this one.

Disappointing!

by TripAdvisor Member FrenchQuarterFestFan

I was going to stay at the Hawthorn Suites for 2 nights on a business trip BUT . . . the sullen teenager at the front desk didn't look up and greet me when I arrived. The air conditioning didn't work in my first room, and the girls at the front desk didn't want to move me to another room. After three trips down following repairs that didn't work, I was given another room. The suites are fairly quiet and very clean, but the hotel is typical Orlando - quickly showing wear and tear from high use by tourists. The breakfast was horrible - I went down International Drive to a restaurant after I tossed my hotel breakfast in the trash. And I quickly cancelled my second night; left to find a nicer hotel with staff who have some customer service skills. They sure don't here!

Good experience

by TripAdvisor Member heavygeez

After leaving the No 'Quality' Suites on Canada Avenue, we found this hotel to be very accomodating. I asked to preview the room before we checked in and was allowed to do so. The room (room 427) was clean and furnishings were update.
Yes, there was a teenager who checked us in. She and all the staff I had occasion to interact with were pleasant. We also had a problem with a/c but were offered another room. Because it was late and we were tired from park activity, the room was comfortable enough to sleep. When we returned from activity the next day, the a/c was working perfectly. There were a couple minor maintenance issues that we addressed at the same time and they were corrected immediately as well.
The American breakfast was plentiful and hot each day I ate there. It was basic but okay. Hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. I would definitely stay there again. If it were't for the maintenance issues and the fact that 4 of 7 nights housekeeping did not give us enough towels or washcloths, (they did immediately bring extras to us) this would be a four star rating.

Comments