Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Universal Studios Orlando

5605 Major Blvd., (formerly Sleep Inn & Suites), Orlando, Florida, 32819, United States
HIExpress.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Universal Studios Orlando

Wouldn't stay again

by TripAdvisor Member iHeartTravel08

While visiting the Universal Orlando resort, my family and I spent one night at Sleep Inn. Although our time in the room was brief, the overall stay wasn't that great. The room was very small and very worn. There were cigarette burns on one of the blankets and a stain on the sheets. We got in line to buy tickets at 7:30 am, but were told they wouldn't be ready for another 20 minutes. Luckily, we planned to drive our car to the park instead of taking the shuttle (the woman at the desk told us it's 30 minutes late almost everyday). A plus of the hotel would be that they had a variety of food for breakfast.

Sleep Inn , Universal Orlando

by TripAdvisor Member kruzlady

Stayed at Sleep Inn for two nights, Jan 12 and 13.
My son and daughter arrived day before and stayed three nights. I had requested a high floor , away from elevator and was given desired location.
When I checked in , I asked for a room on the same floor as my son and was actually given the adjacent room with a connecting door. That worked out good, did not have to go in and out through the hallway to each other's room.
We could see Universal from our top floor window(11th) .
There were alot of other motels nearby. Baymont, Extended Stay, Comfort Suites, and some others I don't rememeber the names of. There was a Wendy's right next door. Also a TGIF and Carabba's were in the vicinity.
The first morning, my son and daughter walked to Universal, about 15-20 minutes.
The rooms were spacious, they were cleaned daily, but could have used some deeper cleaning.
The sheets were thin and they kept coming off of the bed. Overall, it was okay for the price we paid. My motto is "you get what you pay for". So I was not expecting a whole lot.
There was not too much variety in breakfast from what my family told me. I made my own PBJ for breakfast, and only had juice from the dining area.
Overall we had a good stay at Sleep Inn , if I were to go to Orlando for more than a couple of days, I would stay elsewhere, but for a couple of nights it served its purpose.

Convenient & Good price

by TripAdvisor Member pcillag

My husband & I stayed at this hotel January 9 - 12, 2007. We went for a Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure trip. I was desperately seeking a CLEAN hotel for a DECENT price, and I found this hotel through Choicehotels.com. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a Universal Studios stay. The absolute only negative I have to say is about the carpet in the room. It was starting to wear and will need replacing soon. I just wore sandals in the room. Everything else was great! Too many pros to outweight that one con. Clean room, decent price ($62.99/night), free continental breakfast, free shuttle to Universal, and an I-Ride stop in front of the hotel. Yes! it does have an I-Ride stop in front of it. I could not find this info before my vacation. However, we did have to call I-Ride bc we were waiting an excessive amount of time (over 20 minutes), but they were there to pick us up literally within 5 minutes, and they were very friendly and accommodating. Also, the hotel was close enough to walk to Universal when we could not catch the shuttle on the first day of our arrival. The free breakfast had waffles from the yummy waffle makers, bagels, pastries, fruit, cereal, juice, and coffee. Staff was friendly. It was a great choice.

Great Value For Universal Studios Visit

by TripAdvisor Member galaxrex

My wife and 12 year old son stayed at Sleep Inn & Suites Universal for four nights at the end of February. We were very satisfied with our accomodations. The hotel is a fifteen minute walk from Universal Studios and a $5 cab to or from Universal. We walked to the Parks every morning and saved on parking and then spent a few bucks for the cab ride back. The hotel is located away from the very busy International Drive area and there are a number of decent family restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. We found a Golden Corral that served a hearty breakfast buffet just across the street in a shopping center.

Rooms were small but fine for us since we spent all day at the theme parks and just came in late to sleep. Our room had been recently rennovated so there were new carpets, painted walls and a new shower stall. Only complaint was the beds and bedding. Our beds were soft and not very comfortable. The sheets were too small for the mattresses and they were old, thin and worn, and had holes in them. One would think that Sleep Inn would spend a little extra after all the renovations to make sure that the most important part of a hotel stay ( the beds) were at least in as good shape as everything else.

Other than that we had a very pleasant stay and would recommend Sleep Inn & Suites Universal to families seeking reasonably priced acommodations while visiting the Theme Parks. We would definitely stay there again.

Good Experience

by TripAdvisor Member M_DiLoreto

My wife and I stayed for a five-day vacation. Room was clean and comfortable; outdoor pool was also clean and well-maintained. The property was under construction, so the Fitness Center and Guest Laundry rooms were closed. Continental breakfast was available daily;
dozens of restaraunts within walking distance. Free Hotel shuttle was
available for trips to Sea World, Universal Studios and Wet & Wild Water Park; trolley also stopped in front of hotel (three hotel shuttle runs, over a dozen trolley runs per day). Trolley cost $1-2 per trip (each way); we visited all of the attractions during the day without needing to take a car. (If you choose to drive to Universal Studios/City Walk, do so after 6 PM- parking is free after that time, and the park is only 2 miles from the hotel.) Staff was friendly and helpful; overall a very positive experience. I would reccomend this hotel to couples and families traveling to the area.

Not worth the price

by TripAdvisor Member tabykat2

I just returned from a two-night stay at this hotel and don't recommend it at all.

When I arrived at this hotel, I noticed there was no lobby, just a large construction site. One employee told me that next month the hotel will be a Holiday Inn Express and the construction is due to the change. It was very hard to hear the front desk clerk because of the workmen sawing, drilliing and banging. Luckily they did stop for a few minutes and I was able to hear about the complimentary breakfast and the "undesirable hotel next door".

Apparently there is an "undesirable hotel next door" that the employess believe is part of a rash of vehicle thefts in the parking lot. I was recommended to take my GPS and any other electronic items out of my car and keep it in my room during my stay. That should have
been my warning to go somewhere else.

Once we got to our room, my daughter realized that our door does not lock. She was able to push it open before I even walked up with the key. I called the front desk right away and they sent maintenance up to fix the door but that guy did not speak english and he needed to call someone else. The second person was a maintenance supervisor but even he needed help. In the end, it took three guys almost two hours to fix the door, only to find out that the lock needed new batteries.

Our room was nice and the beds were very comfortable. The only problem was that the room stayed at a constant 78 degree temperature even though we set our air conditioning unit down to 52 degrees. Even maintenance couldn't figure that one out.

Later that night, my daughter went down the hall to get a soda from the soda machine. She returned a few minutes later saying the machine
took my money but never gave her a soda. I went down to the front desk and explained what happened. The clerk told me that the soda machine on my floor was broken (there was no sign on it) and that the only ones working were on the 4th and 5th floor. This is an 11-story hotel and only two floors have working soda machines! She did give me my money back and I was able to get a soda from the 4th floor.

The next morning, I decided to make a pot of coffee using the coffee
maker in my room. After putting in a pot of water, I got 1/2 of hot water tinted lightly like a rust color resembling tea. So much for coffee.

my children and I went to the breakfast room for the complimentary breakfast. The room was very small (maybe seating for 20) with very little walk room between tables. My daughter had to clean off a table
for us to sit at since there was no employeee in the room to clean tables or pick up trash.

The choices for breakfast were mini donuts, small muffins, cereal, bananas, toast and make-your-own waffles. The donuts and muffins were
so small it only took three bites to eat the entire thing! The waffle
line was very long which made it hard to get to the donuts and muffins. Because of that, I chose to have a cup of cofffee for breakfast while my kids opted for cereal and juice.

Since the shuttle only ran at certain times, we chose to drive to Universal Studios so we could come back when we wanted to. The hotel was only a five minute drive away, which was something we liked.

When we returned from the day at the park, my son noticed that his stuffed animal was missing from the room. After searching the room from top to bottom, we also noticed that my son's jacket was missing also. I immediately notified the front desk, who wrote up a report and told me to speak to the manager on duty in the morning. It was very hard getting my son to sleep without his stuffed dog but after about two hours and recommending he sleep with me, he did fall asleep.

The next morning, I spoke with the housekeeping supervisor who seemed
helpful and apologetic about my missing items. He searched for the stuffed dog and jacket but couldn't find anything. Apparently, the person who cleaned my room that night was on vacation and couldn't be reached at home. When he couldn't find my missing items, he had me speak to the housekeeping manager (his boss) who was very rude. She told me that Sleep Inn would not hire anyone who is capable of stealing from a guests room and her employees would never do such a thing. She also suggested one of my children probably left the door open allowing this to happen. The woman took my name, address and phone number stating she will "look into" my situation and contact me
in a few days. Hopefully, I will hear back but her attitude and body
language tells me otherwise.

My children and I went to check out after speaking with the housekeeping manager. The front desk clerk had us listed as checked out already and was confused as to why I was still at the hotel. She didn't know what to do and needed to get her manager who told me just to leave. Believe me, I left and took my kids to a nearby restaurant for breakfast.

That was my first and last time staying at a Sleep Inn.

Not Bad, But I wouldn't have picked this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mark3x

We have just returned from 5 nights as a promotion for time share tour (we didn't choose to stay here). The hotel was under renovation which we knew from their web site before hand.

We arrived late evening and found the thermostat was dead (no AC) and called the desk. They said they would send the maintenance man. About 30 minutes later my wife went to the front desk to find out the delay because it was late, we were tired and it was getting warm. Well apparently the maintanance man had already left and the clerk didn't want to call him back in. Makes me wonder if they would have just left us sitting in the room sweating. They decided to move us to another room.

Probably my biggest disappointment was the lack of any hotel/local area infomation booklet or flier that could have provided basic hotel information and on nearby businesses. This could have saved me a lot of time and energy. You'd think they could afford to print a page that had the attractions shuttle schedule and where nearby restaurants were.

The 2 double beds were comfortable with good bedding but the pillows were useless. The room was small but clean.

The continental breakfast buffet had plenty of decent food but the dining room was small and crowded and poorly laid out.

The heated outdoor pool was smallest I've ever seen and wasn't heated. Let me put it this way, we went to the Atlantic Ocean and at 70 degrees, the ocean was warmer.

The maid service was fine except that starting about 8 am you got to listen to their portable radios the hotel used to communicate with the staff. The radios were always turned up all the way and with calls and messages between different employees, it was just like a public address system echoing in the hallway every morning. Forget about sleeping in.

For the money there are several nearby hotels mentioned in another review that would likely be better choices.

Its now the Holiday Inn Express and Suites

by TripAdvisor Member chs70

This hotel is now a Holiday Inn Express and Suites. Our stay was exceptional, the staff was helpful and friendly, the place was clean, the bedding very nice. The rooms were small, but we only went there to sleep, arriving late and leaving early. The only time we used the pool there was no one there so the size didnt bother us. The continental breakfast was excellent, a good variety of breakfast items. The breakfast area does get a bit crowded, but there is a spill over area that can be used. The nice suprise was the daily shuttle to Universal studios and Sea World. There is also a Wendy's hamburger place right next door-I only wished the lobby would have stayed open longer. There are other eating places within walking distance-about 5-10 minutes. Any constructuon and remodeling has been completed when we were there. I would stay here again.

okay but had problems

by TripAdvisor Member ola2480

I stayed at this hotel for one week while visiting disney. The clerks at the desk on arrival were very nice and courteous.
However I got a room on the 10th floor but to my surprise the room was very small. I have been in several hotels but never seen a room this small before.
On one of the days I stayed there, i returned to my room at about 10pm after spending the day at one of the disney parks and to my dismay my key would not work. I returned to the lobby five times in an attempt to get the key reactivated by to no avail.
I told the night shift clerk to have someone take a look at the problem. She was extremely unfriendly and unapoligetic. After spending about 15min waiting a gentleman who identified himself as security asked me to go up with him and tried the key without sucess. he then left me at the 10th floor lobby and I was there till around midnight and went down (with all my stuff in hand!!) to the desk clerk requesting an explanation on the situation. I was extremely upset because she could have updated me or given me a room to relax while the problem was been resolved. She was unapologetic and stated that she was the only one on duty and could not leave her post. At around 12:30am they finally found a technician who fixed the problem apparently the battery was down. Oh!! and they kept asking me if there was someone else in the room (are you sure?? they said) annoyingly. I would recomend this for a short stay but nothing more. the rooms were small and my room was not cleaned on one of the days even though I was not in there. and once I requested from the desk clerk if I could get some drinking water and he said he had no idea!!!
not very nice stay . I will not be visiting this hotel again

The Best Sleep Inn Ever

by TripAdvisor Member ljsflorida

I stay at alot of hotels due to bussiness, this was the best Sleep Inn I ever stayed at, clean large rooms, good breakfast, friendly staff.

Comments