Holiday Inn & Suites at Main Entrance of Universal Orlando

HolidayInn.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Holiday Inn & Suites at Main Entrance of Universal Orlando

loved the parks

universal studios was a terrific place to visit. The hotel was clean and the staff was really helpful.overall it was a fabulous vacation,and next time i will take my teenagers with me.

Family Reunion Nightmare

After traveling all day finally were had reached our
home away from home or so I thought. Me and my family
(We were in town for a Family Reunion) stayed at your
establishment on July 23-25. I was not pleased with
our stay at all the hallways smelled, the first room
we were assigned to smell like a cat litter box. The
next room I was moved to was okay but, did not have a
working telephone. I frustrated when I had to go back
to the front desk for keys that did not work. I was
in tears standing in line for thirty minutes to ask
for help with the telephone. When I left on Sunday
the telephone in that room still did not work!!!!! I
was very disappointed in the hotel and on top of all
of the I was charged more than other family members.
I called back this afternoon to talk to a manager. I
felt like he could care less. I am very angry and I
hope that my family of over 100 members never, ever
plans another Family Reunion this hotel. We paid for
meals and rooms. I was very unhappy with the hotel
and I plan to tell all of my co-workers, friends ,
and family members.

I work as a teacher and if my classroom smelled and
acted like I was not concerned with my students and
parents I probably would lose my job!!!

I didn't like this hotel. It is about 1-2 miles from Universal Studios

I did not like this hotel. It was not walking distance
to Universal Studios. (It is 1-2 miles). Only 1
restaurant TGI Fridays. No other places to eat close by. The view was of air conditioners.
(Ask for an upper floor). Floor was wet from a
plumbing problem. No one let us know the floor
would be wet from plumbing problems. I found
out when I took off my shoes. yuk!!!!! I will not
stay at this Holiday Inn again.

Needs work!

by TripAdvisor Member lopo147

Perhaps I should mention that we stayed at this hotel a few days after Hurricane Charley hit. It seemed that the place sustained some damage (leaks, etc.) There was a mildew odor in the corridors, too. The entrance lobby is large, clean and modern (misleading one to think that the rest of the hotel is, too.) There was a long wait to check in. A manager walked by and offered to assist me. I was able to get into my room fairly quickly once he helped. What a disappointment! One of the blankets (two double beds) had a hole the size of a dinner plate right in the middle of it as well as a cigarette burn (We were in a non-smoking room). The tub faucet was dripping and it wasn't possible to stop it. A light needed a bulb. The toilet was clogged. The remote control for the TV was out of whack: both the volume and the channel controls changed the channels, so there wasn't any volume control available using the remote. I called about the toilet before I noticed any of the other problems. I am pleased to say that someone came to fix it quickly. There wasn't a key in the safe in the room either, so I brought my list of problems back down to the front desk (which was still busy.) However, I was able to catch the manager's eye and I asked if I could speak to him privately. We sat on a bench and I recited the problems. He siad that he could have someone take care of them promptly. However, he also asked me what I was paying to stay at the hotel and inferred that, since it wasn't a couple of hundred dollars as it is across the street at Universal Studios, that the hotel was a good value. (Ergo, stop complaining?!) Frankly, I feel that was insulting. In my opinion, I expect to have a clean, functioning room especially at an international lodging chain, no matter what the rate is. All things (except the dripping faucet) were addressed within a couple of hours. The room was a good size, but I think that it was long overdue for an update (fraying mattresses, worn out carpeting, rusty air vents, etc.)

By the way, I learned that one must separately rent a safe key and sign a contract stating monetary responsibility for replacing the safe if the key is lost.

Frankly, I know that there are some very economical rooms to be found in the Orlando area and I think that on my next visit I'll check them out . . .

Couldn't bear to sleep here!

by TripAdvisor Member kristin1122

I am from Orlando. My husband and I booked a room for Friday, October 1 for his birthday - and to be close to Universal as we were attending Halloween Horror Nights that night. Well, the shuttle stopped at 5:30 -- HHN starts at 6:30. Something I was not told when I called to inquire about the shuttle schedule. Anyway -- Upon check-in, we were assigned the requested room type promptly. King bed, non-smoking. (I should also say that I waited for 25 minutes to check in, and the staff was not very friendly. Very busy and not handling it well.) When we went to our room we were sorely disappointed. The room smelled very strongly of pet urine and mold. It would have been nearly impossible to sleep there. The odor was so strong I couldn't bear to stand in the room. There was a Holiday Inn employee (manager type) in our hallway so we asked him to step in and witness the smell. He claimed he was unable to smell it. The woman staying in the room across the hall then stepped out of her room complaining of the same smell. My husband and I took our bags back down to the check-in counter to request another room. The clerk first said "The hotel is sold out, I'm sorry" - but then offered a smoking king room (remember we originally had non-smoking). We took all of our things back up to the 10th floor - and entered our assigned room, which was CLEARLY being worked on. The carpet was wet, there were towels all over the floor & sink, there were fans going on the floor in 2 areas, a dehumidifier was running, and the boxes to all the equipment were torn open and laying on the bed. So, for the THIRD time, we made our way back down to the line at the front desk. The clerk again told us the hotel was sold out and she didn't know what to tell us. Someone else overheard and went to talk to a manager. We were then "upgraded" to a suite - a smoking suite. At this point we were late for the event and just needed to freshen up quickly. We weren't able to have dinner or drinks before leaving because of the 1.5 hrs we spent changing rooms/waiting in line. We made our way to our 3rd room. The entire hallway smelled of mold, moisture, and dogs and/or pet urine. (We noticed several dogs staying in the hotel. It may be worth considering to have them all confined to one floor.) The room was clean in appearance, but the moisture odor and stale cigarette smell was evident. I am aware that it can be expected for a smoking floor, but keep in mind we are non-smokers that originally had a NON-smoking room. My husband and I changed clothes, brushed our teeth, and left the room. We returned at 2 am and neither of us could imagine sleeping in the room. The smell was bad. So, without even touching the bed or sitting on the couch, we packed our bags and drove home. We did not tell anyone at the front desk we were leaving, since they were basically unable to remedy the situation completely when we checked in at 6 PM. We left with the intention of writing an email Monday morning. Yes, we received a low internet rate. But does that mean we shouldn't have had a good night's sleep for our money? We drove 45 minutes back to our house and paid over $80 for it. We'd like a refund. Have yet to hear back from management. But I guarantee that we will spend $200 for an on-site Universal hotel next time before we try a "deal" someplace like this!

Great Room - Great Price

by TripAdvisor Member JacquieGallaghan

We stayed on the 7 October for 1 night in a two bedroom suite, after coming over from the Gulf Coast for visiting Universal.

The suite was excellent, large lounge area, two large bedrooms and two bathrooms, with 3 tvs. There wasn't a balcony, but the windows were full height, so you didn't feel enclosed.

After reading the reviews on this site, after booking this hotel, I was apprehensive, but I was mistaken to be so.

We checked in promptly, there was a very nice lady from the hotel in the checking-in area, who gave us advice for shopping and theme park options.

The room was spotless!

The security staff at 7am the following morning, advised me as to where to have breakfast.. We ate at the Cracker Barrel across the road and it was very good.

I can't comment on the swimming pool facilities, as we weren't there to go swimming, but to shop and theme-park.

Checking out was a breeze!

All in all, the price we paid, for the quality of accommodation we received was excellent..

I would definately stay there again.

Holiday Inn Almost Ruined My Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member maxbet

We arrived a little early and went straight to the hotel to check in. They wouldn't let us check in early. We came back in about an hour to try again and found the lobby to be full of guest checking in. There were three lines of people. We chose the first line. After standing in line for about 30 minutes the desk clerk walked to the back never to return and left all those people including us standing in line like a bunch of idiots. After about another 20 minutes or so the other desk clerk consoloidated lines and finally got us up front to check in. The whole check in process took about an hour. This didn't thrill me as I had just drove for 8 hours straight to get there. Then, we finally got into our room we found the room was not what we thought we had booked. We called the manager on duty to try and get a better room but the manager would not do it since we had booked our reservations online. We are Priority members with Holiday Inn, or so I thought, but apparently that doesn't mean too much to them. Other than the staff being rude, the rooms are nasty and stink. The elevators are old and slow. And finally they have a roach problem. I have stayed here several times in the past but this time was the worst and I won't be staying here again. The close proximity to Universal Studios was the only reason for staying here but it's still not worth it to put up with the crap. The walk is still quite a ways and you have to walk across the busy highway to get to there. This hotel is not recommended at all.

Yes, you can walk to Universal :)

by TripAdvisor Member jamierenn

This hotel was fine for the money. My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in late November 2004, and we paid about $60 per night. The room was clean and we could walk to Universal, which was all we were looking for.

I read all of these reviews before booking, and my main concern was whether or not you could walk to the Universal parks. Yes, you can absolutely walk to the parks. There are sidewalks and crosswalks with signals the entire way. The biggest street you need to cross is 9 lanes, but as long as you wait for the walk signal, it is no big deal at all. The walk is about 10-15 minutes, and it is very pleasant. Each day we walked to the park in the morning, back to the hotel in the early evening, back to City Walk for dinner, and back to the hotel to sleep.

If you have young kids or elderly people with you, the walk would probably be too much over the course of your vacation. I’d recommend staying on site so you can use the water taxis (and so you can get in the express lines for all the rides…) But, this is much more expensive – the best price I found was about $175 a night for an on-site hotel.

We had a smooth check-in, which I was a bit worried about because we booked through hotels. I requested a non-smoking room with a king-sized bed, and that is exactly what we got. The room was clean and smelled fine. The bathroom was perfectly adequate. The shower leaked a bit, but as long as you closed the door, you couldn’t hear it, and it wasn’t a big deal.

This is the type of hotel you choose if you are just looking for an affordable place to stay within walking distance. For that purpose, it was perfect. It was definitely the closest to Universal of all the budget hotels. If you are looking for a more resort-oriented vacation, then I’d recommend staying at an on-site Universal hotel.

Holiday Inn Universal was a lovely surprise

by TripAdvisor Member ROSEMOTHER1

I have just returned from Florida. Arrived Christmas day and stayed until New Year's day. While there, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Universal and was very surprised at the hotel itself and the wonderful attention of the staff

After reading some of the negative statements written, I was surprised at what I had found there. The rooms were clean, large with a spotless kitchen area.

If I called the staff for something I wanted, it was handled almost immediately. Check-in was simple and check-out was just as easy.

I would be happy to stay there again and would recommend my frineds and family to stay there.

It is not elegant, but when travelling with kids, elgance doesn't work. This hotel does. We spent a lot of the time out of the hotel at Universal . Also, they have a wonderful car service there and although I used Mears, I was kinda sorry that I didn't use their service. I used their service to go to the Dolly Parton Stampede show on New Year's eve.

The walk to Universal is comparable to about a 10-city block walk one way. I am 67 years old and the walk was easy. The IT trolley is in walking distance.

We also got quite lucky and saw the Universal New Year's eve firework display from our window. This was a nice addition.

satisfactory lodging

our group of 12 ( 7 adults, 5 children ) stayed at this hotel 01/19/05
thru 01/23/05. we rented 4 rooms for 5 nights. we were pleased with the hotel and the total experience and would recommend staying here if you plan to spend the major part of your time at universal orlando and don't want to pay exorbitant hotel rates within universal.

the units were labeled as deluxe rooms with 2 double beds in each. the rooms were plain but clean and the beds were comfortable. a second wash basin outside the bathroom was very convenient. the maid
service was quite good ( tips always help ) and we were provided adequate supplies.

as for the hotel staff, they were cordial and very helpful when consulted. the front desk people were extremely pleasant.

other positives --- (1) children 12 and under get free meals at fridays which can be accessed through the hotel interior (2) you can walk to universal (3) $5.00 cab fare to universal and cabs and vans are readily
available.

negatives ---(1) the scheduled free transportation to and from universal
was not satisfactory ( too early, too late, and not enough trips ) but the
hotel may have no control over this service. (2) we did have some
minor plumbing problems to report ( the bathtub drain in one room was slow in handling the shower water and in another room the drain stop was not functioning)

as for our favorable recommendation, we can't vouch for all rooms and all sections of this hotel. there were some areas of the hotel being
upgraded ( new carpeting, etc.) however, we can give a thumbs up for
rooms 522 thru 525

the globethe globe

Alexandra at the computer poolAlexandra at the computer pool

Crowds at Disney Magic KingdomCrowds at Disney Magic Kingdom

the line for the ridethe line for the ride

Hotel Advice

by fergon

Hi guys, i´m travelling on may to Orlando with my baby and wife....

Anyone can recomend me a well located hotel ...nice and no so expensive :-)

Thanks in advance.

cheers.

by riorich55

What is your itinerary for Orlando? Depending on what you are going to do (Disney, Universal Studios, Sea World) would dictate where you might be better off staying. Will you have a car or have to rely on other transportation?

by fergon

We´ll rent a car.... and we are planning to go to Disney, Epco, Animal Kindon and Universal...

by riorich55

One suggestion would be to stay somewhere on or just off International Drive. There are a number of hotels in the area and it is very lively with a wide variety of things to do when you are not visiting the theme parks.

The website is http://www.internationaldriveorlando.com/.

We have never stayed here as we own a time share in Orlando, but have gone to a number of restaurants in this area.

The other suggestion you may get from others is in the Kissimminee area which is a little closer to the Disney properties but farther away from Universal Studios which is actually just off International Drive.

If you are going to spend the majority of your time at the Disney properties you may also want to consider just staying at one of the Disney facilities and then you won't have to worry about driving around so much. You can use the Disney transportation system (mainly buses) to get to Epcot, Disney and the Water Parks on the grounds. The hotel properties on the premises are a bit more expensive then those off site, but they do have a number of price ranges. Check out the Disney web pages for an idea of costs.

by Lauz

If you're planning on doing alot of Disney, you could stay at a hotel in the Lake Buena Vista area, it's as close as you ca get to staying in Disney without going through the gates and is alot cheaper! Area is a little nicer/quieter than around the I drive area too.

Comments