Marriott Orlando Downtown

amextravel.com Travelocity AMOMA.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Orlando

manateemanatee

I speak with fork tongue!I speak with fork tongue!

Getting ready for a 3D movie at Animal KingdomGetting ready for a 3D movie at Animal Kingdom

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt SpectacularIndiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular

Orlando to Fort Lauderdale -Car ??

by Helzie12

Family (inc 2 kids aged 9) need to get from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale, we are thinking about hiring a car. Is the drive interesting, anything interesting to do on the way or should we save our money and take a shuttle???

by nicolaitan

florida's turnpike is really pretty boring and uninteresting.

by shohman

As Lew said, the turnpike is boring and there is not much to see, but it is the quickest route. As with most highways in the state, they are convenient but there is not much to offer of interest unless you have a fascination with rest stop Starbucks and Burger Kings.
The good news is once you get to Ft Lauderdale it's very nice with lots to do.

by goodfish

Agree with the above. We drove down the coast from Orlando many years ago and while it was slow-going, it was also more interesting than the turnpike as you had some views of the ocean and beaches.

The Space Center Cape Canaveral might be interesting for the boys if they're into space travel. I'll never forget my first look at a Saturn V - the thing is immense!! There are lots of things for kids to explore and it's just a fascinating place.

If not wanting to do it on your way from Orlando to Lauderdale, maybe rent a car for the day to go down there.

by goodfish

Should mention that it's way too much in a day to visit the space center AND drive the coast to Lauderdale so yes, the turnpike is your fastest, abet uninteresting, route.

by nicolaitan

there is an economic rationale however for renting the car and driving however - i don't know which shuttle you are referring to but if it is a flight it will be fairly expensive and time consuming. in florida, you can pick up a rental car in one place and drop off in another without a dropoff fee, so the rental may be a cheaper alternative to flying.

by YVRDave

Great advice Lew.
A car rental might easily be less money compared to a shuttle for 4 people.
You will get 24 hrs. and alot of exploring time.

by Dester

I'm sitting here now, and I can testify to the boring part, just get through here as quick as you can. :o)

Travel Tips for Orlando

Discount for buying Annual Passes

by LiteralTraveler

Hello,

I am a Disney annual pass holder and recieved discount cards in the mail off the purchase of new Disney annual passes. They are good for 10% off the purchase of a new annual pass. Each card is good for six people and I have four of them. If anyone is intersted I would love to give them to people who could use them. Since they are only good for new passes not upgrades or renewals I can't do anything with them myself. I am in the Orlando area almost every weekend so we could meet at the park gates and these are totally free. I'm going to be there anyways and would just like to see someone get something out of them as it's a really good deal. If you live anywhere close to Disney in Florida, or sometimes even when you don't, you'll probably find yourself going to Disney three or four times a year anyways what with visiting relatives, birthdays and the like. Now that day passes have upped to $80 for a one day Florida resident pass these things pay for themselves. Plus they come with parking and other discounts. If anyone is interested just e-mail me through this site and we can set up a weekend, preferably soon as I think they run out in late July. Hope this helps somene, :).

I found a great website that...

by scotthenson

I found a great website that helped us coordinate our Orlando Florida trip. It's called www.orlandoattractions.com. They provided lots of helpful advice, tips, and information. The animals at Sea world were great.

Rocket Garden

by Carnation

The extension building next to the Kurt H. Debus Conference Facility is where you can walk around and see how space exploration has advanced with full scale models of the capsules the astronauts landed back on earth into the ocean, early astronaut suits and even the original Mercury Mission Control Room which contains the actual Mercury Mission Control consoles from which the first eight manned missions were monitored.

Disney characters: walrus

by b1bob

I'll be dipped if that wasn't the best-dressed walrus I had ever seen. I'm guessing this walrus must have come from "Alice in Wonderland". While we were walking down Main Street USA heading towards the monorail for the Contemporary Resort hotel, Daddy met an old buddy of his from way back. We posed together with this walrus.

Pack a Poncho!

by starship

Often stray showers will fall while you are visiting a park. This fact is not lost on Disney! Most all gift shops in all the parks sell Mickey ponchos costing about $8 or so for the adult size. The first time we got caught in the rain, we had to buy these ponchos. Now I pack one for each of us so that we can still continue having fun in the parks. It's hilarious to see a huge crowd, adults & children alike, all wearing yellow ponchos with Mickey Mouse on them!

Now as far as rides go, some people really like to get wet on "Splash Mountain" in the Magic Kingdom & such which is alot of fun. If you like to get wet, I suggest wearing light clothing that dries quickly in the sun! But if you ride the "Kalahari Rapids" ride in Animal Kingdom, expect to get drenched!! I don't like to walk around with a wet seat half the day, so I wear my poncho! You can always tell people who have never been on the ride before--they're the ones who look like they just took a shower fully clothed!!

Comments