4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Rosen Shingle Creek

The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort is big and beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member SeattleSoccerNut

The new and very expansive Rosen Shingle Creek Resort is another monolithic (1500 guest rooms) hotel catering to the golf, convention, and theme park crowds. Located just off of Hwy 528 it offers easy access to and from Orlando airport. All major theme parks are nearby. The guest rooms are large and beautiful, in fact the whole resort and grounds are quite tastefully appointed. Amenities include valet parking, airport shuttle, numerous conference and meeting rooms, an 18 hole golf course which encircles the hotel, three swimming pools (some open until 12:00 am.), sand volleyball, horseshoes, fitness room, spa, an Italian restaurant, a buffet-style restaurant, a coffee shop, and a convenience store for snacks, sandwiches, and those toiletries we tend to forget at home. We stayed here for one week in February while my husband attended a conference here. Most staff members were very friendly, although there were a few who seemed annoyed if we did not immediately and without explanation know their policies and procedures. All areas of the hotel and grounds were very clean and well-tended. Despite it's size and the fact that it was booked to capacity (Datona 500 weekend) it never seemed crowded or noisy. Rooms were reasonably priced ($130/night when we stayed), but be aware that nearly EVERYTHING outside of the room itself is charged as extra: internet access, parking, workout room, breakfast, etc.

a delight--but try to avoid a convention

by TripAdvisor Member travelerkalamazoo

This is a beautiful, new resort with a number of things going for it, including large, luxurious rooms, 3 lovely pools, a good selection of dining options and a fantastic golf course. Of course you'll pay the price for these resort options, but this isn't a La Quinta, so don't stay at a luxury resort if you expect bargain prices on the extras. A sandwich runs in the $8 - $10 range.

We stayed over the New Years holiday, during which Orlando was so crowded that most of the theme parks in the city stopped admitting visitors early each day because they were at maximum capacity by early afternoon. Shingle Creek was a nice break from that chaos, far enough away from the parks to feel like its own separate, resort world but within a reasonable drive to all the excitement. We had a room at the end of a wing with a pool/golf view. It was serene and large, with a king bed and sitting area with a sofa.

However, on the down side, the hotel was full because of a large youth convention and many visitors in town for the bowl games. When the hotel is full, getting an elevator is frustrating. We were on the 10th floor and many times opted to take the stairs down (but not up--we're not quite that energetic) rather than wait and wait. With 1500 rooms in use, I'm not sure if 4 times the number of elevators would have sufficed, but a little patience goes a long way.

Yes, this hotel is large enough that you'll get quite a bit of walking in, but we didn't see that as a turnoff. Just skip your time on the treadmill in the fitness center and call it good.

If I had to make a recommendation to the management, I'd ask them to make the lap pool (near the spa) to be an adults-only, quiet pool area, as the finer hotels often do. There are no water-park style features, but the hotel does have a play area, a sand volleyball court, basketball and tennis courts, and even horseshoe pits, so families with kids seem to be welcome. However, it's not the type of place where kids are encouraged to run wild and dominate, as many of the Disney properties seem to do, but that's what we appreciated about it.

Overall, we'd definitely return. We stay at the luxury locations in Orlando (e.g., WDW Swan & Dolphin, the Peabody, etc.) and found the Rosen Shingle Creek to meet our standards quite nicely.

A Pretty Lady with Budget Underwear

by TripAdvisor Member Travelguy52

This is a beautiful hotel with nice rooms, but providing budget hotel toilet paper and tissue ruined the glow. The in-room coffee maker, cheap coffee packets and powdered cream finalized the budget hotel theme. Additionally, the faucet water flow was cut back so dramatically until it took forever to rinse my mouth after brushing, and filling the coffee maker with water took almost until lunch (they did send someone to fix it, and they could not improve water flow because it is designed to cut water usage...tell me about it). Cheap, cheap, cheap. There was a nice LCD TV, but the service was analog so no clear images. Cheap, cheap, cheap. This is no four star hotel.

I had a bad experience at check-in with a don't give a heck front desk clerk, but her supervisor made it right. She glared at me for going over her head, but lousy service is lousy service. She should be fired.

Food was very good, but incredibly overpriced. Forget room service unless you want to waste your inheritance. Service was on the better side of so so, not bad. The hotel is so remote that it is easier to pay up and not take the long trips out and back. But, I wasn't happy about it.

The absolute best service at the hotel was provided by the telephone operators who addressed you by name and were incredibly responsive. A caller to my room commented on how nice the operator was. This is the kind of service Rosen should providing with every aspect of the hotel operation, especially at these prices.

Now for the funny part. There are restrooms conveniently located thoughout hotel, which is really nice. But the faucets are manual while the soap dispensers are automatic. When they went cheap they forgot to reposition the soap dispensers so they continually are tripped by hand movement and keep spitting out soap in the lavatory while washing. It must be costing them a fortune in liquid soap (far more than doing it correctly would have cost). And, yuck, toilets are also manual in the restrooms, which is so 1980's.

Will I stay at Rosen Shingle Creek Resort again? In a word, NO! There is a very nice JW Marriott down the road, and many other quality hotels I noticed on the nearby road so we don't have to settle for a wannabee. I'm thinking this Rosen guy started off with Bugetels and just couldn't give up the cheaps altogether.

Great hotel, bad customer service

by TripAdvisor Member fogeo

The hotel is beautiful. No complaints. The front desk staff could use a little more work on customer service. They were very unaccommodating with simple requests. I asked if I could check out 1/2 hour later and they said no. I kept calling and had to literally beg before they said ok. My room key stopped working and had to wait almost 1/2 hour (this was at midnight!) before security would let me in and he didn't bring a replacement key until the next day after they told me repeatidly that they would slip it under my door during the night. The property and hotel itself is beautiful and comfortable, but it lacks 5-star front desk service. The exception is the restaurant, bar and catering staff. They were wonderful. But with all the gorgeous resorts in Orlando (Marriott World Center, Peabody, Gaylord Palms, etc.) I will gladly take my business elsewhere next time.

Not a Four Star experience!

by TripAdvisor Member LorraineT

After reading the reviews on this hotel I was looking forward to a wonderful New Year's weekend at a great hotel. I was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED! We first stopped at the Gaylord Palms to see their ICE show - valet parked, walked through the hotel, stopped for hot chocolate and coffee. We left this wonderful place to go to our hotel, The Rosen in the late afternoon. When we arrived there we were expecting to be treated as nicely as we were at the Gaylord. We stopped the car, next to the valet, who made no effort to move or open my door, so I opened it nyself only to be screamed at by a man directing traffic that we needed to MOVE our car!! I said to him, we are checking in and we want to valet the car. He shook his head and told my husband again, to move the car, indicating to pull forward about 10 feet. We did, and got ourslevs out of the car. No one approached us to offer valet or bell hop service or a welcome. My husband went looking for a valet, then went looking for a bellhop to get our bags. My first impression wasn't too good at this point but the hotel lobby nice so maybe things would improve. The front desk clerk wasn't friendly at all, just asked for our name and credit card. The room itself was very nice and we had a great view of the pool area, which is really beautiful. We wanted to eat int he hotel instead of traveling out again because there is nothing close to this hotel - you have to get back on the interstate to get anywhere. There were two restaurants at the hotel, one an expensive buffet, the other a really expensive italian restaurant. We choose the buffet which was very limited. There were two entree's and one vegatable offered - the food was mediocre at best and an 18% gratutity was added to the bill - for a buffet!!!! I was appauled at the addition of a tip at a buffet. I am a generous tipper and have no problem leaving 20% or 25% for good service. But when I have to serve myself, have no choices and have to wait to get drinks from a server, I think that 18% is ridiculous. The night in our room was a big improvement because the beds were really comfortable. Feeling optimistic we headed back downstairs in the morning for breakfast. When we arrived at the elevator we were surprised to see about ten people standing at the elevators waiting. 20 mintues later we were STILL waiting for an elevator to arrive that wasn't full. A few people who had been waiting longer then us jammed themselves into overcrowded elevators to get downstairs. We finally got on one of the two elevators that were working, along with about 20 other people, jammed in like sardines. There were 6 elevators for our floors but apparently there was maintenve work on four of them!!! On a Saturday morning, when people are trying to get to breakfast so they can get to the parks??!! Needless to say, there was a line at the only breakfast restaurant, the buffet, again. We waited there for 10 mintues to get a table and once again were charged 18% gratutity for a girl who brought us a cup of coffee then disappeared. The fine print on the bottom of the bill stated the gratuity could be removed if wer weren't satisfied so my husband asked the cashier (that we waited in line for 5 minutes for) that he wanted the tip removed. The cashier had a problem with that so we had to wait for a manager. Now we go outside to get our car from the valet - wait in line for 10 minutes while we watch one guy running back and forth between valet and bellhop, epople checking in and checking out. He takes our ticket for the car keys and we wait another 15 - 20 for a valet to bring up our car. The car is finally brought up, the valet jumps out, with the door open and the keys in and takes off to get the next car. ANYONE could have hopped in the car at this point becasuse we didn't see him pull up behind a fan!!! I was REALLY OVER this whole experience at this piont but we had a weekend planned so we wanted to stick it out. After spending the day at the (overcrowded) parks we came back around 4:30 to take a break. Again we have to wait for an elevator and get jammed in with 20 or so other people, get to our room only to discover that we haven't had any maid service!! I had a three nihgt reservation at this hotel and no one had cleaned my room in the 6 hours that we had been gone. We called the front desk to complain and they were posotively rude and uncaring. At that point we deicded to check out, got our bags, waited to get downstairs adn left the hotel. The clerk at the front desk was the FIRST staff member at the Rosen to even be nice, he apoilgized asked if he could get us another room, a reservation in another hotel anything to try to make us happy. He even comped us for our meals and valet charges so we left the hotel only paying for the one night stay. However, I will NEVER stay there again. The staff was uncaring andn rude. They are obviously overwhelemed and over worked because the hotel did not have enough QULAIFIED staff working there. The wait staff in the restaurant were inexperienced and un professional. I got the distinct feeling that the Rosen wants to be a four star hotel - at least in their architecture - but their service is cheap and untrained. This Hotel is NOT FOUR Star. Stay at the Gaylord - it's worth every penny.

Great Hotel - 1st Class

by TripAdvisor Member topfuel

This is a fabulous place. Big and i mean BIG.

Some issues are u cant open a window in your room unless you have a grand suite. The bar in the Lobby area needs something to seperate it from the passing people traffic.

Apart from that, the staff are friendly and helpful. The restaurants are good and "Market Street" in the lower lobby is a great place for a pizza or a meatball sub (one of my kids favourites).

The rooms are nice and the beds extremely comfy.

The pools are really nice but my kids said they would have liked a slide going into the pool. But hey..you cant have everything.

We stayed there for nearly 3 weeks and really got to know the place. It was my first time at the RSC and it wont be the last.

Take my advice....if u want somewhere thats close to the parks but not next door, thats close to I Drive but not on it then stay here. 10 mins to Seaworld, 25 mins to Disney and 5 to I drive.

New Year's Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member atlanta.david

First let me start by saying I paid $60 a night and stayed for four. This is a beautiful RESORT hotel and offers all the amenities and you are going to pay for them the markup on drinks and dining is what you would expect from a golf/convention hotel such as this. The rooms were a good size and beautifully furnished with plenty of space and comfortable beds. The perks in the room include a 32" LCD (approx 75 stations) and a fridge (not preloaded with overpriced snacks, but empty for personal use). Plenty of dining options, arcade room, guest coin-laundry, and 3 gorgeous pools. Spa and golf onsite. Downside - Hallway noise can be heard in rooms, did not really hear anything from rooms next to mine. Self parking is 8.00 and you might be parking quite a distance away from the entrance to the hotel. The business center has limited hours and internet was .49 a min.

For the price I could not have been more pleased with the proximity to the Theme Parks all within 15 mins. This is also a non-smoking resort.

Loved the Shingle!!!

by TripAdvisor Member strutpeace

The hotel (excuse me RESORT) is fantastic! I am not sure why all the earlier people had such problems. But our stay was great. We checked in New Years Eve. Our stay was for 3 nights. The rooms are beautiful. The beds are great ( am used to a waterbed). They are firm but forgiving and queen size. Each room has its own "LG" LCD flat screen tv. Which is intergrated with a wireless keyboard for internet play if you need as well as a remote (of course). It has a small fridge (could be a problem for some). Bathrobes are furnished. Beautiful Mahogany furniture throughout the room. If you want a room with a great view. Ask for a room on the "ODD" side. That will give you a view of the golf course and pool. The place is really HUGE. Coffee shop (starbucks), 24hr market is downstairs, ice cream shop, gift shop, 2 restaurants, 2 pools, 2 whirlpools, game room and a golf course (that looks very challenging). I unfortunately forgot my golf clubs. Major bummer as my family slept in everyday (I was not renting for 55.00).
Now for some negatives. They need to give there housekeepers a checklist to use when doing the rooms. They forget stuff daily. But a call quickly takes care of that. The a/c is tricky. They should have a sign by the thermostat. Keep it below 69 to get the "snowflake" (which means cool) to come on. The 24 hr market place should have better system to take care of the lines when its busy. The fridges are too small.
I received a great rate from expedia to stay there for 68.00 per night. I went to the front desk twice to stay 1 extra night and they said they could not get me that rate (of course). There best rate would be 159/149. I asked them to split it with me (109) they wouldn't. I was kinda suprised as the resort wasn't completely full. It turns out the bellman (very nice staff) was able to get me the rate to stay 1 extra night.
We did have 1 mishap involving my 9 yr old son. We were on the elevator and he was too busy playing gamboy and didn't walk out with us. The doors quiclky shut and whisked him away to another floor. He had no clue what NEW room we were in and in minutes they had 7 security people combing the floors for my son. That was GREAT and very comforting. They quickly found him.
We had a great stay and I am sure anyone else would. We will return.

Beautiful property, sub-par customer service, uncaring staff

by TripAdvisor Member robin_in_rain

The hotel is sparkling new and very stately looking. Sit far from the main road surrounded by golf courses, the rooms are spacious and beautifully furnished, very quiet, great view, comfortable bed, soft high thread count beddings, flat screen TV. Check out was a breeze. The breakfast buffet was really good, lots of choices, most waiters are diligent and fill your cups with freshly squeezed orange juice. The well-stocked fruit bar has extremely fresh and large blackberries, blueberries and raspberries.

Now the bad thing: The uncaring staff with their substandard service.

1) They couldn't find our reservation. I was given 3 different phone numbers to call before they could locate our reservation.

2) Our package also included breakfast. I booked 2 adults and one little girl. But when the confirmation letter came it said only 2 adults. Called back again and got another confirmation letter, still said 2 adults. Called again, and the lady said the computer doesn’t have a place to put in the number of children, but she would write a note. So then every morning at breakfast we were pestered with the same question, why the little girl had no breakfast voucher, and by the same waitress on different days despite our very generous tipping. Talking to the front desk lady was no help, with a straight face said our system showed no child and there was no note. So we had to pay extra for our kid.

3) I was prepared to overlook all the unpleasantness because the hotel was indeed beautiful and comfortable. But then came the worst blow when we forgot our IPod in the safe when we checked out. Took us numerous phone calls and many days of waiting, even went to hotel in person before our departure to try to get it. The staff, especially the security desk, was extremely unhelpful, giving me all sorts of excuses that the room has been checked out to other people and we had to wait till they leave. Throughout the whole process not once the security/lost+found personnel called us back, except for the final call after they found it. It was very frustrating. Until 6 days later I knew the new guests had checked out the room and threatened to file a theft report to the police. Then they agreed to send someone up and would call me in an hour. Never got that call either. The next day my husband called again and apparently they still haven't checked the safe, but promised to check right away again, which they did and found the IPod and was decent enough to mail it back to us. I wonder what would happen if we haven’t kept calling. I would imagine that people forget things in their room safe all the time, is it always so hard to get things back, for a 4-star hotel?

AWESOME HOTEL!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Luflorida

I went with my husband for the New Years Holiday and we had the best time is this hotel.... very beautiful and clean.... The hotel was sold out but they have a GREAT SERVICE there! Definitely will come back!

coco beachcoco beach

Alex and I on our way to Animal KingdomAlex and I on our way to Animal Kingdom

Woody's Roundup - Disney Magic KingdomWoody's Roundup - Disney Magic Kingdom

wildebeastwildebeast

nap sacks

by wilsons

can we carry napsacks inside park?

by riorich55

Last time we went, 2 years ago it was ok, although they will do a quick search of them before you enter any park.

by Lauz

Yes you can take them into any of the parks, lockers are available inside if you don't want to carry them around all day. They will be checked at the gates though and i'm pretty sure you can't take glass inside.

by traveltime10

I had the same question a few weeks ago. Yes you can take packs and can take food and water. You can be searched. No alcohol, no glass and no straws- even juice boxes with straws. Disneyland in CA is a different proposition, evidently. You can't bring things in there.

Disney is going green. (er) I was going to get a large balloon placed in my room as a surprise for a little girl. As of a week ago, they no longer provide this service. Also, they no longer have the service where Disney characters will call on the phone and talk with children.

I don't know if it will effect balloon sales in the parks. I wonder if part of the cut backs in services may have to do with economic decisions. I intend to ask this week while I am there.

Hope you have a great time- in the happiest place on earth!

by jumpingnorman

There's lots of websites listing prohibited items in Disney, including attire. However, just note that they also look at the "size" of the backpack/napsack (unusually BIG ones!)

From Prohibited Items in Disney: http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/dress-code.htm

Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller

by jimkpa

I heard a good tip one time to speed you through the bag check area, If possible, buy clear plastic backpacks at home and then they know you are not trying to sneak any thing bad into park and will speed your check time. I believe their official policy might be no food or drink but they are nice enough not to enforce it. We always took sandwiches, water bottles, etc. Seedless grapes in a ziplock bag are a lifesaver when you are waiting in a hot line.
Jim