Shades of Green Hotel

1950 W. Magnolia Palm Dr., ** Military / DoD only ** (see Details tab on this page), Orlando, Florid

• Bryanna1028's Profile Photo

Amazing resort!!

Wonderful place!! Beautiful grounds, nice and large rooms, comfortable beds. It was a great place to stay at an even greater price! The staff was very friendly and we loved that we never had to drive anywhere, the buses were perfect!! We ate at the buffet downstairs and it was delicious! The cookies were so amazing, I grabbed a few to take back to the room with us. Yummy!!!

Unique Quality: Military ONLY. You have to have a Military ID to stay here. Price depends on rank. There is a mickey mouse shaped pool for the kids, an arcade that was fun and a bar for the adults. It is also on a golf course, if you want to golf instead of visit Disney.

More about Shades of Green Hotel

We loved Shades of Green and would never stay anywhere else

I had the pleasure of staying at The Shades of Green a few years ago with my whole family(17 of us) and we are going again this year. I would never stay anywhere else in Disney. From the moment we stepped out of car at the door to the moment we drove away it was a magical and wonderful experience. Everyone was friendly,smiling,helpful. The rooms were spacious and clean. We had connecting rooms in front of the pool and would gather every morning for coffee and evening for cocktails.
The restaurants were great. The service and staff were outstanding. I have stayed at other Disney Hotels but Shades of Green was by far the best, those people who complained must be from another planet. I can't wait to go back!!

Shouldn't Have Reopened Yet

Just returned from a very disappointing trip to SOG. We'd previously stayed at SOG in 2000 and 2001 and booked through SOG at the Contemporary in 2002 and 2003. They were having their grand reopening ceremony the day we checked in and the place was a madhouse. The staff was friendly but not very knowledgeable. The Mill Pond pool was closed the day we checked in and the only restaurant currently open is the Evergreen Sports Bar. There is no room service available. The temporary lobby with the AAFES store and ticket sales is located around back near the golf pro shop and is hard to access. The only parking near the hotel is at the golf pro shop and the parking lot was completely full.
SOG guest parking is located on the golf course at the main SOG entrance past the guard shack about a quarter mile from the hotel. The new part (rooms, lobby, restaurants, parking garage) is not open yet and the old rooms were not refurbished. They do have refrigerators in each room and offered a 10% room discount due to the ongoing construction. The front desk refused to book us at another Disney property when we checked in at 1400. They told us a manager would not be available to assist us until 1900 that evening. Once inside our room I called SOG reservations and they were very cordial and booked our family at Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort at a slightly higher rate ($109/day plus tax). We enjoyed our stay at Port Orleans very much. I don't know why they decided to reopen SOG before it was completed and wouldn't recommend staying there until the new area is open. Comments from the staff ranged from "If you think this is bad, you should have been here a couple of weeks ago when we first opened"; "I think they are planning on opening the first 100 blocks of new rooms next week"; and "I don't know when the new area will open because they never tell us anything." I'm sure SOG will be a wonderful place to stay again when the new part is open and they iron out all the bugs, but right now it's not the same old SOG.

SOG

by TripAdvisor Member TomKim29

We just stayed at the SOG (Mar 27 - Apr 3), and we had a great time.
Although there was still construction going on, it was a minor inconvenience (especially since we were out all day) and did not effect us at all. Additionally, they were giving visitors a 10% discount.
During our stay, SOG had their Grand Re-opening celebration, and provided food and entertainment from the other recreation areas in Hawaii, South Korea, and Germany as well as SOG. The new lobby is huge (a Disney Resort lobby) with high ceilings, skylites, and an indoor/outdoor fire place. The entrance of the hotel has waterfalls.
Again it is very Disney like. The only thing I wished they had done as part of the renovation was add a better pool, one like at the Wilderness Lodge. I thought most of the staff was helpful. The valet guys were friendly and helpful, they'll even drive you over to the monorail in a golf cart. Betty at the concierge desk was great. I love this place, and will always return.

Shades of Green all the Way!

We stayed at Shades of Green in 1995 for our first family Disney trip.
We were able to book 7 rooms at that time. My family consisted of seven sibling families and my Mom. We were able to all have poolside rooms and it made for a great family reunion. This would be the last with my mother before she passed away. Last year, we were given rooms at the Contemporary, which was great (due to the SOG renovations). We were there last week at the Coronado Springs resort (through SOG, once again), and that was also great! This is a wonderful experience for any military family. We were grateful that we were able to do that back in 1995. We haven't been able to all get together since. Otherwise, I don't think we would have been able to afford it anywhere on the Disney property. Can't wait to go see the new renovations.

Shades of Green Getting Back to Old Form

We're just wrapping up a stay (5-16 Apr 04) at the "new" Shades of Green, and although things were rough in the beginning, everything is now starting to fall into place. Check-in was really disorganized; I arrived at 1030, hoping it would help to get in quicker, but we didn't get into our room until 7PM. They kept saying the room was being cleaned and implied it would be ready in an hour, so we hung around the hotel and wasted the entire day. When we got to our room, we found out they weren't cleaning it; they we're completing it. It was a brand new, never used room in the new wing and it was fabulous. I would have been more understanding if they would have explained the real reason up front.

Parking was terrible. The new garage wasn't ready, so they tried to cram everyone into the golf club lot or overflow parking along the entry road. The garage finally opened on 12 Apr, and it made parking much easier, and we could park closer to our room.

Evergreen's was the only restaurant open for the first 5 days, and most (not all) of the new wait staff didn't seen to have any experience in being waiters/waitresses. The new Garden Gallery opened on Saturday, 10 Apr, and it was a nice, reasonably priced addition.

The new SOG retains the 2 original pools and they will be very crowed once all of the new rooms are open and the place is at full occupancy. My kids were hoping they would add a water slide, but they didn't.

Overall the experience improved as our stay went on and we definitely plan to return next year. The new lobby, restaurant and rooms are excellent. This place has to be the best deal around for visiting DisneyWorld.

First Class Accomodation for our Military and their families, A GEM!!

Just returned from the Shades of Green Apr 10-17 2004. I was a little worrried at first about the accomodations . That was till we pulled in past the security gate. When I saw this huge beautiful resort, with the waterfall extending up to the lobby and the flags proudly displaying each branch of the military, I knew we were in for something special.
The resort was beautiful. The room was huge and decorated beautiful (and this was the old section!). The staff were friendly and knowledgeable, answered all our questions. We rented a car, but hardly needed it due the the wonderful transportation provided by SOG. Our room was clean and neat as a pin every day when we returned from WDW (a difficult task to say the least with 4 people in the room). The chamber maid left us notes withing us a happy easter with washcloths shaped as animals. Our daughter just loved that. Any problems with our room (only two, the closet door came off and the remote for the TV stopped working) was fixed in a matter of minutes after calling the front desk.
The location was directly across the street from the Polynesian and every night we viewed the fireworks from the magic Kingdom right from our balcony. Bottom line, we were right in the area of the highest priced resorts in WDW with the samed features for less than 100 per night. If we stayed directly across the street, we would have paid 400 per night plus tax. The old saying "you get what you pay for" does not apply to this resort. You get first class accomodations for a fraction of the price. I cant say enough good thing about SOG. They treat our most valauable citizens, our military with the respect and dignity they so deserve. My unending thanks to SOG for treating our military like the first class citizens they are and providing them with vacation memories to last a life time. For everyone in the military who qualifies for a stay at SOG, my advise dont look any farther when planning your vacation than the SOG. You will never find a first class resort like this, at a location like this anywere in WDW. This is for you, take advantage of it. You will not be sorry you did.

SOG Just Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member djbc

We just got back from a week at Shades of Green and it was great. We had booked a less expensive golf course view room but was put in a pool side room at the same cost. Every night we saw the Magic Kingdom fireworks and we were just steps from the Magnolia Pool. It took us a couple of days to figure out the bus schedule but that was our fault not SOG. You can't beat the value, and they have the best food in all of WDW. Prime Rib Buffet for $14.95, breakfast buffet for $7.50 including drinks, no tax. One morning they had a problem with the water and we couldn't take showers. They found us a room with working plumbing and took 50% off of our bill for that night. You just can't beat the service, location and staff. We will definitely go back.

better than we thought

The SOG was better than we thought it would be. The Food was great and very well priced. Used the shuttle bus once, the other times we just walked across the street to the Polynesian Resort and took the monrail to the park your ticket center. The PX was still located with attraction tickets sales but it is moving closer to the lobby area bigger and better. the lobby is very large. was in the new section room 4160 long walk from lobby, no vending machine in new section yet but picked up supplies at the Hess servive center (car Center) gas was also cheaper$ 1.69. The room was very large and the two piece bathroom was also huge. will be going back again. the beach at the Polynesian Resort is a good place to watch the fireworks and see the Electrical Water Pageant at night. than less than a 10 minute walk back to the SOG.

the new lobby opens

We spent one faboulous week at shades of green, and on the 5th day the new lobby was open. Wow it is beautiful. We had to take pictures of the grandkids and us in front of the huge fireplace. And I thought it was really nice they had a count the jellybean contest for the kids. The staff and everyone at Shades of Green were friendly, and that makes or breaks a vacation in my opinion.

Best Deal for a Disney or Orlando vacation in and around town

We just got back from a five day vacation at DisneyWorld and stayed at the Shades of Green, it was great. Its a wonderful place to stay and have a family vacation. I was worried that SoG was not ready for guests, they are ready. Once you drive pass the security gate, you notice this huge hotel with a number of waterfalls and flags from each service. Its a first class place (4 Star Hotel), they greet you with excellent service from the bellman, to complimentary valet service, to the front desk staff. This is before you notice the front entrance to hotel and its second waterfall, then you enter into a large lobby (great lobby area, it has a kid section with a flat screen TV), that's when I knew that I was going to have a wonderful vacation. Now, granted its still working out a few problems like--the AFFES Store and Ticket Outlet are located in a small section of the golf resort to operate out of. The new operating outlets for AFFES Store and Ticket Outets should be opening soon. Only two of the four restaurants open, ROOM SERVICE was not available, and I heard mix reviews about both throughout our stay. I did try the breakfast buffet at the "Garden Gallery" for a cost of $7.50. It was ok, a standard breakfast, no fancy dishes or extras. The hostess and service was slow the day I attend breakfast. With management cleaning and servicing tables, I believe something was missing (a bus boy) or just still working out the grand opening of the restaurant. If you are looking for a quick breakfast, check out the coffee shop located outside near the putting green and one of the two pools (its being moved in a month or two, check it out). Its cheap and has quick breakfast sandwiches. The other resturant "Evergreen's" is like a sports bar, its near the pool (mickey mouse shape pool) and had a excellent menu and busy the day I attended. You could call your order in, pick up later. Pizza was the hot item of the day when I was waiting for my order. It would be nice if SoG management would have someone take drink or food orders around the pool area, this would be a nice extra. Guest Service was excellent in helping us with reservations. Our room (stayed in the old section) was clean and very big. I was looking forward to the towel animals that a pervious writer wrote about, it did not happen with us. Our room faced the pool, and I still paid the standard price. The transportation to the theme parks was easy and wonderful with friendly service from the bus drivers. If you wanted, walk 10 mintues to the Polynesian to catch the monorail. We used the monorail (hotel side, the other line to the transportation center was very long) from Magic Kingdom and got off at the Polynesian stop and walked to SoG. A recommendation-- walk to the Polynesian, head towards the beach section to watch the fireworks, we did on Tuesday and you could listen to the music score along with fireworks. This way your not fighting the fireworks crowed back. I had a rental car, used it a number of times, to MGM (free parking with hotel pass in window) and a few nights out at Downtown Disney. With the complimentary valet service, you call for the car and it was waiting for us when we arrived in front of the hotel. A very nice service, a few bucks for a tip and off we went. The hotel does not have the disney channel on TV in the rooms. I hope SoG will be able to get that service, its nice to have when you kids with you. Overall, the SoG staff is friendly and answered our questions. We are looking forward to our next trip to SoG, and it does not need to be a Disney trip -- it could be Golf, Sea World, Universal Studios or just a relaxing time. I work for a theme park and hotel resort, and I highly recommend SoG. I will definitely go back.

Comments