400 Avenue of the Champions, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, 33418, United States
Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 49% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about PGA National Resort and Spa

PGA Resort is a small notch below excellent

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights as a 10 year anniversary get away from the kids over the Christmas holiday week.

Overall, the resort was very nice, and probably a dream come true if you are a golfer. We aren't, but enjoyed the spa instead to relax. Prices were steep ($150 for dinner at Shulas, and $40 for a simple brakfast buffet for the two of us) but not out of the ordinary for a high end resort. Service was very good with a minor problem in our final bill dealing with the Spa package we signed up for. I got a bit frustrated dealing with the front desk to resolve it.

The spa is very nice and should be the only pool you go to if you don't have kids with you. As mentioned before, the resort is being renovated in some areas but you wouldn't ever know if with the exception of some load noises coming from upstairs in the middle of the day.

The grounds are very nice and well maintained with a good set of tennis courts and pro shop.

Really glad we went!

I almost cancelled our reservation at the PGA National after reading several reviews. However, I ran short of time (3 day advance cancellation) and didn't want to lose my one night deposit. And...I'm really glad I didn't cancel. The place was wonderful and we had a superb time. The staff were really helpful and the lobby was beautiful with a "lodge" feeling. Big, airy and numerous spread out seating areas with animal print fabrics on the furniture. Our room was huge and clean. We chose to dine in Don Shula's Steak House just off the lobby and had an absolutely brilliant meal.
After a brilliant night sleep (the beds are huge, luscious and extremely comfortable) we went for breakfast and a round of golf. Aside from it being extremely hot, the course was in immaculate condition. We then headed on down to Miami, but what a great place to stop off on route from Orlando. We will definitely go there again!

Definitely coming back - next time with friends

by TripAdvisor Member WillBTraveling

Just got back from four wonderful days at PGA National. My wife and I were needlessly concerned about the effects of hurricane Wilma before leaving. The hotel and the golf courses were completely cleaned up and if you hadn’t seen all the TV coverage you wouldn’t have known the severity of the storm.

We were pleasantly surprised at how big our room was (2018). It included a king size bed, a love seat with coffee table, armoire with TV and mini-bar and two large closets. Our spacious balcony overlooked the spa and got the morning sun so it was nice to have coffee and read the paper there. A large alcove had a round table which I used as a desk with their free hi-speed internet access. It was a good place to work.

We played The Champ and it’s in great shape – bring extra balls as almost every hole has water. Carts have to stay on the path so we took caddies (Brian & Rene) both of whom were very professional and by the third hole knew what clubs we should use for every shot the rest of the round. Well worth it and they know the greens.

If you go, be sure to say hello to Sanchez. Never mind. He will find you and welcome you to the hotel first.

The Italian restaurant Arezzos is excellent and the portions were large. I had the calamari appetizer prepared as a main dish and I couldn’t finish it. The last night I had two appetizers and was pleasantly full. They could adjust the lighting or do something to make the room a little more cozy. Fahri is a terrific and very helpful waiter - always smiling.

We ate one night in Shula’s. It’s a good steakhouse and the portions are huge. My wife and I could have shared a main course and reduced the size of the bill a little. It can get pricey, but do you really need so much food? And we did enjoy a nice bottle of wine which brought the price up considerably. Bottomline -it's priced in line a good NYC steakhouse. If you can't handle NYC prices...

My wife got a manicure and pedicure at the spa. While she felt it took a little long compared to NYC – she decided to just sit back and enjoy the pampering in the spa - tough for a New Yorker to do, even on vacation. The price (according to her) was reasonable, especially for a resort hotel.

We are looking forward to our next visit to PGA National. Next time we will bring friends for a foursome or eightsome.

Friendly stafff and excellent golf

My wife and I stayed at this resort over Labor Day. I really enjoyed this hotel. When we arrive we were greeted politely and given a room right away eventhough we were way early to check in.

All of the staff were very friendly and accomadaiting. There was on option for vallet or self park. I recomend self since it is so near to the enterance. I do recommend you have a car if you are traveling as a couple or alone. There are some great restaurantes just a few blocks away. I recommend Carmines Ocean Grill and there is an Oyster Bar joint that you should reserve in advance because it seams to be a local favorite. We actually never ate at the hotel since we like going out to eat. There is also a Publix right across from the hotel. We got snackes and drinks there. Bud was even on sale for $6 a 12pack. I wanted to pack it and take it home.
The room also has a fully stocked refigerator.

The hotel is under renovation, but it did not effect us since they are redoing a wing of the hotel at time. We were given a room w/o a view, actually a view of the parking lot. After my wife had a nap and I golfed they gave us a room with a pool view. The desk clerk even walked us up to the room and gave us a tour or two options inculding a suite. We took the standard room because it was large enough and had a better view.

I thought it was a renovated room with how up to date it was but it was not. It was in great shape with no flaws that I could find. I must say the new rooms must be remarkable. I have heard from the staff they will have plasma tvs and designer trends. The room was as a four star room should be in size and accomaditations. It had a small balcony with seating and table. The bed was a king and comfortable. The furniture was up to date and clean.

Now to the golf!!!!!!! If you golf you must go here, if you don't golf take it up and then go to this resort. They have 5 course and I only got to go on two of them because of the weather. The Champ is the most challanging and the Haig is good also. The courses are in great shape. It must have been the climate and the off season timming. The course is Country Club style with houses and trees throughout. Water and sand makes this a special challange.

I secured a special rate on line that included unlimited golf and the rate was off season. Its price was to good to be true. I would keep a look out for this if your travel is in the summer. I would deffinately return if the same special came up again.

I really want to mention the staff again. The staff was soooo friendly. I was impressed with the door man/valet who had been there 10 years. He had a slight speech handicap which I made me respect the management for there hireing principals. The bell man also had a great personality and gave such a positive attitude to everyone not just us. The staff is also international which allowed us to tell stories of our travels in there home land. I sure this also helps with the foreign visitors if they get any.

I would also like advise people this resort is not situated for familys but more for groups and business travelers. I think a couples weekend might work too because the spa is nice. My wife could not use it with her pregnancy but I hear from a fellow traveler the services are excellent.

Unacceptable food

Stayed at this medocre resort for two nights. Very dissappointed with service, accomodations, attitude, and most of all the food. Breakfast was equal...or worse than hospital food. Stale breads, tepid eggs, freezer-burnt croissants, and dried out muffins. Total disaster. Lunch was worse. Dinner at Shula's was extremely expensive, and not worth the price. Started with drinks at Hall of Fame bar. Big, loud, obnoxious bartender with attitude. Typical no-brainer ambiance. Football theme of course. Worked our way out of there into the restaurant. There was nobody in the room for hours. Should have realized there were no locals dining. Do they know something wary travelers don't? Extremely overpriced steaks and sides. Below average quality.
Catered food was terrible. Old, overcooked low-grade meats, terrible salads, and side dishes that were un-edible. The chef, or whoever is in charge should be disgraced. Since the company I was with paid for my stay, I couldn't complain at the time. Unfortunate, because someone should have been held accountable for this total culinary disaster. Warning....do not eat there.

loved the golf

go for the golf, not for the room or the food - poor quality housekeeping service - food is mediocre, staff is very nice, the golf is worth it all - 5 courses and also good tennis and health club facilities -

Utterly Mediocre Golf Resort

by TripAdvisor Member UpgradeQueen

I was probably even more miserable at this place having come straight from the Biltmore in Coral Gables, which is gorgeous, but I think the PGA is pretty dreadful in its own right.

They managed to design the place so none of the rooms - at least none that I saw - has a good view unless you go out on the patio and crane your neck. Dark room, pretty awful decor. They promised wireless internet but it didn't work for two of the three days we were there and all we were told was "it's not our fault". This is not very helpful when you have business to do. There was no other connection, except for the business center.

There was no concierge present at the dinner hour, which I could not believe. They never heard of the restaurant I was going to (right up the road), and recommended another place but couldn't tell me how to get there. I could go on and on but it's really not worth it. If you want to golf and are traveling with children, it's probably fine, but don't go there for any kind of special vacation. What was shocking was the poorly trained staff at every encounter. They were friendly, but didn't know anything and never attempted to find out.

If you do go, and you're driving from Miami, DO NOT TAKE 95 - it's a nightmare. Take the Florida Turnpike and it's about a 2-hour drive or less.

Leaves Much to Be Desired

by TripAdvisor Member Par4Grl

My husband and I recently stayed at PGA while he was in town on business. We have stayed at several upscale hotels (Plaza - NY & Boston, Acapulco Princess, Babados Princess), and this "resort" doesn't come close - except for the prices they charge. The spa was very nice, but here are a few of the reasons why I would not recommend this place unless you get a great deal (under $145/night).
- Room smelled unless we had a/c set to 68 or lower.
- Could hear EVERYTHING our neighbors on either side did; open drawers, open glass sliding door to balcony, etc. We were woken up each morning when the papers were delivered down the hall.
- Way overpriced for everything (except maybe spa amenities).
- Poor front desk service (our toilet overflowed & we had to call three times before somebody at the front desk picked up the phone before 3 minutes).
-Not even coffee maker in room, so had to purchase everything.
-Hot tub by pool was out of order 1/2 stay.
-Added 18% gratuity to all bills. I normally would not have a problem with this, but thought it unnecessary in several areas (pool bar, where I went up to bar to order drink - they didn't have wait service where wait staff walked around to take drink orders - which they DO have at many other high end hotels - without add'l 18% grat.).

While they are "trying" to be upscale, they fall short on the building construction. The paper thin walls were really the worst part. When on vacation, don't want to be woken in middle of night & early AM constantly for noise.....
The marble bathrooms were nice, and lobby was nice. Just need to work on everything else

Never Again - Strike Two!

by TripAdvisor Member mjmcalpin

This resort is unbelievably awful. The spa is great! The golf is average at best.
We (and two other couples) stayed here in 2004 to celebrate 40 years in business and had a horrible experience (someone in our room, new room not cleaned, used soap in the shower, double billed credit card, safes that don't work, and argumentative staff). We complained and they offered to have us back for a complimentary stay, which my wife and a girlfriend embarked upon last month.
Unfortunately, their experience was even worse. Their room was not ready until after 7:00 pm (check-in is at 4:00). The very average and outdated room smelled of smoke, and no other rooms were offered (the staff argued that the room did not smell of smoke). Both women are allergic to smoke, and are very sensitive to it. The room overlooked a rooftop (beautiful view!). My wife was bruised at the spa. Neither the President (David Feder), the General Manager (Derrick Barnett), not the Customer Service Manager (Ellie Wyatt) responded to our complaints, reinforcing our first experience. Once again, these ladies were treated very poorly; at one point my wife was in tears. This resort simply does not understand what customer service is all about. Communication between reservations, customer service, billing, and the spa is very poor.
At the same time, both ladies were scouting the resort as a potential meeting site for their husbands' companies 2007 sales meeting. Their experience made the decision very easy. Never again!

Property is beautiful but beware of cottages, restaurants....

by TripAdvisor Member Mrs.Gonzo

Was looking for a place to stay that would appeal to the whole family and would be comfortable. Noticed that they offered "club cottages" and thought it would be perfect...Although the cottages are on the enormous property you feel like an outsider. First of all, the cottages are privately owned and rented out. When we stepped into our cottage we thought we were in a time warp. Felt like the 1970's. Very outdated. On the surface it looked clean but there were hair's from previous guests in the bathroom countertops and bathtubs. Even found hair's in the coffeemaker. Housekeeping knocked on our door at 8:30 am the following morning to clean our unit and kept coming back until we told them to leave us alone. We ate at Arezzo's and the food was good but service was very, very slow probably the result of an 18% gratuity included in your bill. No motivation to excel in service because you are guaranteed your "tip". Not likely to repeat visit here and if we must will try to stay in the actual hotel. Club cottages left a lot to be desired!!!!

1930s pioneer homestead of Trapper Nelson1930s pioneer homestead of Trapper Nelson

The Tiki BarThe Tiki Bar