Best Value Inn Beach Front Resort

Satisfaction Terrible

• HORRIBLE

April 20-23, 2011
    Felt like we were in the ‘Out of Towners’ movie
    This place was horrible. I am 53 and have stayed in a lot of hotel rooms and condos in my life but this one was just incredible. As the first day rolled on and we kept finding faults I had to start putting them in my phones notepad or I would not have even remembered them all. We would have left after the first day/night but we had booked it through a booking agency and could not get out of it without just losing all of the money.
    The whole problem starts with the hotel being one that rents to those under 25. There was craziness going on all the time. Sleeping!!??? Are you kidding? Every single night we were kept awake by kids on both sides of us coming in at all hours, making noise, partying, throwing up. Yes, the walls were so thin you could hear all of that. I was in the bathroom and could hear when someone was peeing next door, or throwing up. This was supposed to be a vacation right before my girlfriend started a new job and she wanted to sleep late – between paper thin walls, overcrowded rooms next to us with people coming in at all hours and the sun coming in that was not going to happen. And oh my god, the slamming doors! The doors were not even easy to close in our room but there seemed to be a competition to see how loud people around us could close the doors with it being such a problem anyway.

Here are the problems we wrote down (not even sure this is all of the problems!):
    No toilet holder
    Very thin walls – could hear everything next door – see above paragraph.
    The tub drained so slowly you were standing in several inches of water by the time you were through
    There were only two clothes hangers
    The curtain was broken and would not extend over the length of the room window to prevent the sun coming in the morning.
    Doors very difficult to close without slamming
    Overcrowded rooms – We saw several units packed with kids and families. There policy states a limit of 5 guests per room at ANY one time but both rooms next to us had more than 5 a lot of the time plus we saw a family of about 8 in one room. Their policy states ‘NO EXCEPTIONS will be made’. The one time I made an attempt to get the room next to me to quiet down they had at least 8 people in the room drinking and partying.
    Mildew smell on carpet around the air conditioner unit
    Bed – There were metal rails sticking out of the sides of one of the beds we had to watch out for all of the time. Plus the bed made very loud noises –as if it was not put together right.
    TV – Due to all of the kids I guess the TVs had the cheapest universal remote I have ever seen for all of the TVs they had so it would not even operate all of the features of the TV! First of all the remote we got did not even work so I had to have one brought to the room. There was no TV channel guide channel on the TV nor was there any listing of channels the hotel TVs got in the room either.
    TV A/V inputs – We brought a DVD player since we knew the room did not have one and due to the remote being a cheap universal one there was no way to access the a/v inputs.
    Parking – The parking lot was very small as they shared it with a place called Sharkeys next door. People who were coming to the restaurant at all hours were using the Hotel parking lot which was not even big enough for the hotel guests. We walked to several places to avoid parking in their ‘solution’ – an overflow lot two blocks away. Not only that but they couldn’t even offer us any kind of food deal for the place sharing the lot with them. Just tough *** – find a place to park where you can. Another thing – we asked about this and the front desk person told us to go ahead and us the handicap spot and she would watch over our car for us and not let it get towed or ticketed!!!
    Door tag – I have never been at a hotel where there was no ‘do not disturb’ tag to put on the door
    Internet – what hotel does not have wired or at least wireless internet anymore? You could go use the wireless access the room though. A two person table set up in the corner of their check in area.

The beach experience was not even great as they shared the beach area with a huge condo across the street, which I am sure they were getting paid for, to the detriment of their own guests. We had to move several times, even when we rented chairs as crowds of people (some who had paid for the chairs and most who had not) crowed us on the sides and even setting up directly in front of us so we could barely get out of our chairs and get to the beach.

Thank goodness my girlfriend has a tremendous sense of humor, realized there was nothing we could really do but laugh at the whole thing or we have just cried about it. We had just seen the old ‘Out of Towners’ movie so we labeled this our version of that movie. The good thing was that it was our first trip together and at least we know if we didn’t kill each other on this trip we can go anywhere together!

Unique Quality: It is unique in that it is so bad!

Please don't go here if you value your sanity - the lower price is not worth it!

More about Panama City Beach

shadows on an organshadows on an organ

Sunset from our condoSunset from our condo

Contestant #2Contestant #2

Travel Tips for Panama City Beach

When visiting Panama City...

by red_stone

When visiting Panama City Beach, FL you absolutely must visit everything possible and do everything possible. There is so much to do. I made sure everytime I went on vacation here, I ate at Sharkies(great shark meat), go to St. Andrews State Park(snorkling, surfing on a body board(you can get these at Wal-mart), Alvin's(a must for the shoppers), goonie golfing(next to the go-kart track on Front Beach RD), Shipwreck Island water park(wear plenty of sunscreen.....this place is a blast). These are just the ones that I got out of the way to make sure I did before I left. They have para-sailing, sea-doos, motorbike rentals, deep sea fishing, and then at night you have the following clubs: Spinnakers and Club La Vela. These two are the main clubs there. They are both huge, and I mean huge. These two clubs are the place to be when it is Spring Break. You can do a search on these two, and find plenty of information about them, including a lot of pics. Fondest memory of Panama City Beach, FL would have to be just being there. I went there as a kid, and now as an adult. I have never tired of the place. The beaches are very pretty, and so are the women...LOL. If I ever wore myself out by doing too much to quick, I would just relax on the beach and enjoy the sun. Even at night time it is nice to go down to the beach and just relax.

St. Andrews Park and Shell Island

by MatthewMetcalfe

St. Andrews Park is a great Camping/Day Use Area. There's a little bit to offer for everyone:

Divers and Fishers will love the Jetty.
There is a protected beach area behind the jetty that is great for young swimmers who might not like the surf.
There's the beach with the surf for the skim boarders.
A Boat Launch is available for watercraft.
There are nature trails to walk through.

If you tire of all this, you can take the boat to Shell Island which is an undeveloped island on the opposite end of the channel. Warning:There are no facilities on Shell Island and you would be wise to bring some cold water.

The trails are fun to walk and I've dove the Jetty which is interesting once but probably not much else. Be aware of the urchins on the Jetty. They range from Golf-ball to Grapefruit size and they all have sharp spines that like bare feet.

The boat launch is nice but the water close to shore is REALLY shallow. I've seen people beach suddenly and throw everyone out. Use caution until you get out in the open water.

Beach Homes

by cfwestbe

These are some of the many homes located along the beach. Some are private and some can be leased out by the week or by the month. Most of the local realtors can help you find a home to rent if you would prefer it to a motel, hotel, or a condominium.

These homes were located across the street from where we rented a house. The beach is directly behind them.

This is the house we rented for a week. This is the view of the front of the house from the side street.

The top balcony is accessed from the master bedroom upstairs. There are 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and a sleeper sofa. There is also a full kitchen. Sleeps 8 people with ease! We really enjoyed this house!

It can be booked from the web site: http://www.vacationhomes.com/

Search under Florida, then Panama City Beach. The house is called "Room With A View". Jenny, the realtor who owns the house and rents it out, was extremely helpful to us.

This is a view of the house from the main street (Front Beach Road).

This is a view of the beach across the street standing in the front yard.

Comments