Shores of Panama by Oaseas Resorts

Shores of Panama Resort
Hotels.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Shores of Panama by Oaseas Resorts

FABULOUS- Can't wait to go back!!

by TripAdvisor Member HoneyB1

We just got back from the Shores of Panama for our family vacation. We had a FABULOUS time and we LOVED the Shores Panama! I am very surprised to read some of the negative reviews below. We go to Panama City Beach every year and this is BY FAR THE BEST PLACE IN PCB! Sure, the elevators are slow at times, but it's not hard to walk a little further down the hall and use the elevators that aren't as busy. SOP has THE MOST BEAUTIFUL pool in PCB- trust me when I say no other place has anything like it. It is tropical with palm trees and other lush landscaping it has bridges, multiple fountains- it is just gorgeous. We had a beautiful unit that we rented through VRBO. The interior of our unit was very stylish and the beds were extra comfortable. It had everything we needed for our stay and it had a great view of the pool and ocean. We enjoyed sitting out on the balcony in the mornings and afternoons. The food at the pool TIki huts was very good- the grouper sandwich was awesome. We also loved having Pineapple Willys right next door- they have great food drinks and it was very convenient. SOP had fun and different activities for the kids every day. My kids had a blast and didn't want to leave. They also had entertainment by the pool a couple of nights. We can't wait to go back- this is our new favorite place to stay in PCB!

Not a good first impression -

by TripAdvisor Member vacationpcb08

Yikes! Our arrival at SoP wasn't nearly as good as we'd hoped. To begin with, the front desk needs an overhaul. The Mgr. made a keying error on our card which resulted in a 5 figure over charge! Fortunately, our card security prevented this from happening. Nonetheless, it was a major inconvenience and the Mgr. was less than professional about the incident. She never apologized for her mistake, the delay or the stress she caused us. Not a good first impression.
The room was very nice and clean. Our view was excellent. The only issue w/ the room was our fridge froze up and didn't cool properly. This was corrected, but it was only when another person told us what we could do to fix it. To the SoP's credit, they did send a Maint. person the next day. However by that time, we had already fixed it ourselves.
To/from the room was a problem as well because the elevators were constantly broken down. There aren't enough elevators for a condo that large. I would recommend staying on a lower level floor and taking the stairs. You don't want to wait on an elevator...trust me.
The pool is probably the nicest we've seen in panama. The only unfortunate part is that you will NEVER get a chair. Unless you are out by the pool at the break of dawn, you'll never get a spot! Not good. You can't take coolers or floats to the pool. That's not all that bad, but if you have small children it could be probably. The pool was shut down for one afternoon because of a "code brown"... you can figure that one out yourself.
At checkout, the computers supposedly crashed and our check has still not been settled. It's a bizarre story, but we have no other choice but to believe them. I have zero confidence in the people running the administration of this condo.
Overall, this is a very nice complex. However, I don't think the staff is nearly as accomodating as others we've experienced. They are not very professional. With a change in personnel, this could be an extremely nice place to stay. I seriously think the people running this condo are either new to the job or incompetent.
In a "non-busy" vacation season, this would probably have been a better experience. During the week of forth... stay clear.

Never Going Back to SOP

by TripAdvisor Member EsausMom

I rented my 23rd floor condo thru a local realty company for me, my husband and 14 month old child. I had seen all the reviews about "family friendly environment". Well, if you love to party, deal with disorderly teenagers and druken college students, this is the place for you. Although I had checked in with the realty company, I still had to check in with SOP because I had to give them my credit card since it is a cashless resort, even for the beach service (which I was overcharged for). Checkin was a nightmare. Our room was clean. Most of the exit signs were tore off. There are a total of 6 elevators-2 at the end where all rooms are rented, 2 in the middle and 2 on the end where rooms are still vacant. 1 of our side elevators was shut down the entire stay and the housekeeping and bellhops would use the elevators (since they did not have a service elevator), stick their key in the elevator and bypass all the waiting floors. I witnessed this on a few occassions. My husband and I just got to the point where we would walk all the way to the other side because we could never get on. The beach was overly crowded since there are several high rise condos in the area and dont even think about getting near the pool. It was a mob scene. You cant have a float but teenage boys were in various areas of the pool throwing footballs which didnt make me feel safe for my 14 month old. I also learned after a few days that if I used the hot water, the pipes to the hot water heater made a loud banging noise for several hours. Also if your bedroom is in the back and not on the ocean front side of the condo, plan to be up all night because you can hear everything that is going on outside. We will be going back to Emerald Isle where we never experienced any of these problems.

Be prepared to WAIT

by TripAdvisor Member lyyoung

The property was nice but the elevator situation was intolerable. We waited at least 15 minutes everytime we used the elevator. We were on the 10th floor making the steps a real workout. The pool is very nice.

Good News and Bad News and Other News

by TripAdvisor Member Cruzin90

Were at SOP now.

Bad News: The folks at the front desk are not overly friendly. I think it's because they are overwhelmed, not enough staff to support the guests and all the problems. They are a bit on the rude side. I expected smiling faces that welcome you to the hotel, that did not happen and you should not expect it. We are on the 2nd floor so we don't have to deal with the elevators. We heard others complaining that some of the elevators are (still) not functioning. Other complaints: There are not enough chairs around the pool, the beach is dirty with trash. All are true, you have to be at the pool between 8 to 9 AM to get chairs. The beach is a little trashy but it's not horrible. When we made our reservation, we were told that reserved beach chairs would be included. Well, now that were here, they tell us that they are not included and there's an additional charge. Apparently, the employee that told us that told a lot of people things that she shouldn't have and she has been fired. The multi-level parking garage has SMALL parking spots and you will struggle a bit if your in a large vehicle such as a SUV. The hotel doesn't give you any general info such as where to take your trash, pool times, etc.

Good News: Generally, it's a decent place but not great. I like that we can park on the second level of the parking garage and walk to our room without having to deal with elevators or stairs. The pool is very large and is very pleasant. The grounds are clean (excluding the beach) and I've seen security guards walking around. Our room is nice and clean with HDTV's, DVD player, and internet. There's a Walmart just a block away which is rather convenient.

Other News: The layout of the place is unusual, that's neither good nor bad. The entrance is not very flattering. You enter and park by the check-in and then turn right into a parking garage. The entrance and parking garage is all covered which is convenient. I would say that our stay is better than average but not great. I'd try to find a better place next time.

Never staying here again!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Boocasper25q

We rented our condo through the owners on VRBO.com. We got our condo and paid everything on time. The trip was for July 5-12. We never got a confirmation number, but was assured that we would have no problems checking into the condo. On a hunch we contacted the SOP to see if they had our reservations. When I called at 2:00 pm ct. on July 4 they said the computers were down and they wouldn't be able to check this until the computers came back up. Never did they ask me for my contact information so they could call me back once this happened. So I called again and again until 6:30 pm. The computers were still down. The lady ask me to call back later and that she would be getting off at 7 that night but that someone would be there to answer the phone 24/7. Well I called from 7-11 and I never got a person (I left message after message and no one ever called me back).. This is when I started to panic. My family and I was to leave at 6 am to check into SOP by 3 pm. So at 4 am I called and finally got someone. When I ask them to check the reservation they said the computers had just come up and I would have to call back in an hour. So I called back at 5:30 am. it was 6 am before I got through. They didn't have my reservation. I had to contact the owner (remember this was July 5 holiday). I finally got a call back at 12 p.m. The owners had faxed over the info but SOP lost it. The owner called and called SOP and could not get through. The owners called me back and ask that I have the SOP call them to confirm. I called SOP about 5 more times and finally got through I talked with the Manager on duty Tina who was SUPER RUDE!! She would not call them back nor would she even listen to me. She cut me off about 5 times before I ask if she would give me a direct number to her desk for the owners to contact her directly. She said she didn't know the number to her office???? So she gave me the same number I had been calling. I called the owners back and told them what happened. They called and finally got through and took care of everything for us. Once we got there we were frazzled to say the least... We stood in line for ever to check in. Once we checked in we ask about our reserved parking spot, they had no clue where it was (we never found it). The garage was so tight you had to really be careful when passing other cars. We parked in a non-reserved spot. We looked and looked for a cart (non to be found). We just packed all our stuff to the elevators and waited for at least 10 min finally the elevator came and it was full. So we waited for another 10 min and finally got an elevator. It stopped on every floor and finally we made it 19 (everytime we needed an elevator it was at least a 10-15 min wait each time). Our unit was 1911. It was really nice. We had more then enough towels and bedding. The only down fall about the bunk beds was the top was really close to the ceiling and close to the water sprinkler and light fixture. This is dangerous for small children. My kids slept on the pull out couch. They loved it! TV's were very easy to figure out (loved this). View from our floor was great! Pool was wonderful except for having to get up at the crack of dawn to save seats (not sure what is going to happen when all the condo's get bought out). There were a lot of kids with footballs and running over people while in the pool, not one security guard said anything to them. I am glad my kids are old enough to swim. I would have been very upset had they been smaller. We did have some one pull the fire alarm while we was there and we had to go down 19 flights of stairs. On the way down my husband helped a lady with a disability and her two kids from 17 down. This lady was crying and upset saying she couldn't make it all the way down (Why wouldn't the condo have an emergency plan for people with disabilities, this is an ADA issue if I was that lady I would sue them). This would have saved this lady from almost having a heart attack and she wouldn't have left after this happened (she checked out as soon as they let them back in the building, I hope she got a full refund). Oh yeah not all the floors evacuated. My brother was on 5 and he never heard one alarm. I called him to tell him what had happened and he said he never heard anything at all. The day we checked out was July 12 at 1 am. (again no carts to be found). We couldn't wait to leave this place... The lady at the front desk was rude to my husband when he asked about the carts. We will never stay at this resort again.. I feel bad for those who own these condo's because of the customer service. If you rented from the owner or an outside agency you could not be helped from the SOP. You had to contact the owner or the outside agency in which you made reservations.
NOTE TO ALL: We stayed at the Aqua (Panama City) in March 08 and was very pleased with them. They treated us as if we was the only people staying at there condo. We never had one problem with the a customer service person, the garage, plenty of carts, not one slow elevator, etc. We will be taking all our future business there...

Nice resort, but alot of mishaps to be new condos

by TripAdvisor Member rebelinvestor

Stayed 7-5 to 7-12. Pool very nice, but true that towels were reserving chairs at pool. Had to get there around 630 am to get a chair. Parking garage is 12 floors and great for Honda Accords, but terrible for trucks and suvs. Actually for large vehicles you have to wait before the turns if there is oncoming traffic, for large vehicles cannot pass each other at the turns. Parking spaces are very tight, not a problem if you have a small car such as a Honda. Customer service was not really rude on our check-in, but seem like they did not want to be bothered. Elevators are a ten minute wait for the higher floors ( we stayed on the 19th floor). Used bellboy to take care of our luggage (highly recommended). Our condo was very nice and clean. Beach had alot is 10x10 canopy tents with alot of beach equipment that stayed overnight on the beach thruout our stay. Alot of fireworks were going off till 3 am and this happen 3 of the 7 nights we were there. Exit signs, elevator arrows and DVD machine were either broken or damaged thru what appears to be mischief.

Expected More

by TripAdvisor Member Kellyvess

Just got back from Shores of Panama. We stayed from July 12 thru July 19. At first glimpse of this place from the outside you would imagine it was a top notch resort, but really its just an average place with a nice pool.
Check in was horrible. We waited in line for what seemed like forever to check in. Then once we got our keys and parked, we had to carry all of our luggage to the 20th floor. No luggage carts could be found. The wait for the elevators during check in time was horrible. We just had a 13 hour drive and lugging our bags to our room was the last thing we wanted to do.
We rented our condo thru vrbo and everything inside it was as expected. The only thing was we didn't have enough wash clothes but that is an owner issue not a property issue. The view was amazing and the bed was so comfy.
During our stay the elevator wait times varied depending on the time of the day. Some times you would literally wait for a half hour other times it would be only a few minutes. There is a total of 6 elevators on the property which is really not enough to handle the amound of guest, and the property is only about half full.
The actual appearance of the property already shows wear and tear. Alot of the buttons to the elevators are broke, light fixtures are broke, tiles in the elevators are broke and missing. Door handles to the trash shoots are broke. Part of a banister on the 6th floor parking garage had a sign on it that said "Caution Broke." I was truly shocked at the interior of this building considering it is new.
Trying to get a chair at the pool was almost impossible unless you wanted to get up at the crack of dawn. The majority of the chairs had towels in them rather than people.
The pool itself was amazing. It was very nice and could accomidate the number of guest. The food at the snack bar was good, as well as, the drinks at the poolside bar. The employees at the poolside bar did seem rude on more than one occasion. Also, it is alot cheaper to go to Pinnaple Willys next door to get drinks rather than actually on the property.
On Thursday we had a fire drill where every unit was entered and checked. Neither of the alarms in our unit worked, that made me feel real safe!!
Check out was just another waiting in line game. No luggage carts could be found again.
All and all the place is okay, not fabulous, just okay. I would just assume of stayed elsewhere. I can only imagine how it will be when the property is filled. There is not enough staff there now for the guest to employee ratio. We will not be staying there again.

Never again!!

by TripAdvisor Member kbattorney

We stayed at SOP June 14-21. We had to get up every morning and go down to the pool to make sure we could get a chair. If you leave your towel on a chair and walk off from it before about 9a.m. security will take your towel and throw it in a pile with other unattended towels. They stop throwing towels after about 9. You have to get out there early and guard your chair or you won't have one. They won't let you sit down before 8 so you just have to stand around the edges of the pool area and then make a run for a chair when security will allow it. If you don't you won't have a chair. People were fighting, screaming and cussing every morning over the chairs. One man got in a woman's face and was cussing her out saying that she moved his stuff and took his chair. Security got in between them and told the man they had moved his stuff but everyone saw the woman move it. It's the craziest thing I've ever experienced on vacation...I assume it will only get worse as the season progresses. We did not enjoy our trip to the Shores of Panama.

The staff was very rude. They couldn't care less what you think of SOP and all have bad attitudes. The rules were absurd. My husband was drinking coffee and reading the morning paper at the pool at 7:30a.m. when he was approached by a security guard who told him he couldn't sit by the pool until 8a.m. There was vomit in the hot tub SEVERAL days (which my kids were unknowingly swimming in). When I approached the staff about it they said "it happens ALL the time." GROSS. There are too few elevators for the amount of people. It took us up to 20 minutes to go from the ground to the 17th floor. I would take the floor closest to the ground. Get a luggage cart if you can. They are very rare. People just keep them in the condos during their entire stay.

There are no drink machines on the property. They want you to pay $2.50 for a soda that they will sell you. Go next door to Pineapple Willie's. It's awesome. Good food and great service.

• Jun 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!!!!!!! ENDED UP COSTING ALMOST $2000 FOR ONLY 5 NIGHTS!!! SCAM!!!! OVER PRICED!!! I COULD HAVE WENT TO AN ALL INCLUSIVE PLACE FOR PROBABLY CHEAPER!!!!!

We got there was told had to go down the road to check in. Then find out you we had to pay $28.76 A DAY to swim at there pool, after we had already paid over $1800 to stay only 5 nights there. So that was another $115.04 in fees we had to pay that we didnt know about, tried to get refund on pool charge beacause we didnt know but they refused. Then went down stairs to get a cart to take groceries in and they tell me they have to hold my I.D so had to gget my I.D go all the way back down to get cart then back to car to unload groceries take to room and then right back down again to return cart so I could get my I.D back. The elevator was nasty and it took FOREVER!!! If you went to elevator all you could hear was people complaining about the wait. The first day there we didnt want to waste the money on pool passes becase by the time we got everything situated it was almost 7pm so we decided to go to beach, walked around the hotel to find a way to get to beach since we couldnt go through pool area, but found out thats the only way, so we had to walk out the front of the hotel over to Pineapple Willies to get to the beach, because you can only get to the beach by going through the pool gate and you have to pay to do that. Very upset, feel riped off!!!!!!!! spent almost $2000 for 5 nights!!! not worth the money.