9359 US Highway 19 North, Pinellas Park, Florida, 33782, United States

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

• 3rd World style? DOG ATTACKS? "No Proleem!"

I came down for a beach event over the weekend and decided I didn't need fancy beachfront accommodations. Priceline listed this as the most affordable motel in the area. Of course, I sort'a knew what to expect: Minimal accommodations - check (at least the TV worked and the artwork wasn't totally abysmal) . Gross insects (living and dead) - check (I have a strong stomach and didn't notice any sharing my bed). The endless knocking sounds of the heating unit - check (brought earplugs, which only partially muffled the water-torture).

The one nice surprise was that the adjoining (and nearly empty) Mexican restaurant seemed to have good food, service and prices (I always bring along Grapefruit seed extract for on-the-road food poisoning).

What I didn't anticipate was the motel's added Michael Vick Feature. There was a shabby young guy and his young family staying further down on the row. When I drove back the last night, I saw him jogging with a loose, large dog in the parking lot. I later went to get a bag of ice and a large German Shepherd came around the dark end of the building, barking and chasing me. I didn't look at him and headed slowing to my room. He bit me on my butt, and I tried to still keep a steady, un-fearful pace, putting my hands in my pockets and pulling down my jacket over my butt to not get either bitten (again). The dog ran off and I was greeted by another, but silent Hell-Hound.

I went to the night manager's office- he wasn't there. Meanwhile some of my ice fell and melted on the stone floor lobby. I asked the young senorita for a mop - twice - explaining someone could slip and have a lawsuit. She smiled and ignored me. I went to the bathroom twice for paper-towels to clean it up myself. The manager came back and said he was just back saying he already took care of the dog business. I was upset but too tired to checkout that evening. While I wasn't bleeding, I saw some large, painful marks back there.

Early the next morning (after the heater water-torture ended). I confronted the manager about this. He said they have no set pet policy and that the family has lived there for months, and were not asked to leave. They're apparently BREEDING these dogs there at the motel! I explained that if it was an old lady, or someone's child who got bit, they would cause a lot more trouble than me. He said that they DO have older people there, and that the dog family has children. "Yes," I explained, "but they are not getting bit!." I think if I only knew Hindi, I could have communicated my concerns better.

Of course, a refund was out of the question, and he wasn't concerned about online reviews. Not even an apology to speak of. I should have called the cops last night instead (and you need to consider heavily padded pants if you choose to stay in this place).

Directions: US 19