301 S Frontage Rd, Plant City, FL 33566

More about Days Inn Plant City

plant city florida

by doug48

"plant city"

plant city florida is located between lakeland and tampa just off highway I-4. plant city was originally an indian village named ichepucksassa. later it was renamed cork after the city in ireland. when henry plant built a railroad through the town the people of cork named the town after him. the main crop of plant city originally was cotton but in later years the cotton fields were replanted with strawberries. today plant city is known as the winter strawberry capital of the world. each year in late february or early march plant city hosts the florida strawberry festival. hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world attend this event. plant city has a nice downtown historic district which is worth visiting when traveling along I-4 between tampa and orlando.

the town of plant city florida is named after henry bradley plant. henry plant was a famous post civil war railroad tycoon and real estate developer. after the civil war the economy of the south was devastated by the war and later the effects of radical reconstruction. plant believed that the economy of the south would improve over time and bought up and number of bankrupt railroad companies. in 1879 he bought the atlantic and gulf railroad and in 1880 he bought the charleston and savannah railroad. in 1882 he founded the plant holding company with the assistance of henry flagler, m. k. jesup, and w. t. walters. plant built a railroad down the west coast of florida that terminated in the village of tampa. to accommodate northern tourists he built the $ 2,500,000 tampa bay hotel in downtown tampa. henry plant and henry flagler were instrumental in the developement of the state of florida in the late 19 th century.

henry planthenry plant

pretty safepretty safe

parkesdale farm marketparkesdale farm market

dinosaur worlddinosaur world

Travel Tips for Plant City

Florida Strawberry Festival

by davecallahan

Every March, Plant City is the host for the Strawberry Festival.
(see the website below for details on dates and times)

It is a combination of 4H exhibits and county fair and strawberry harvest celebration.
Arts and craft vendors are there; live entertainment is given with some nationally known stars; Strawberry king and the parade with marching bands and local community service people will be seen; midway rides for kids and young adults; and plenty of food tents.

COME ONE, COME ALL...

to get there:
I-75 exit onto I-4, Take I-4 East towards Orlando
Take the Thonotosassa Rd. Exit. Exit 19 SR 566
Turn right on Thonotosassa Rd. and follow to traffic light
At traffic light go straight onto Lemon St. and follow to 4 way stop at Oak St.
Turn right on Oak St.
Ticket Office is approximately 2 blocks on the left. (Sign out front)

Plant City Palm Harbor Homes Factory

by davecallahan

(this was also placed in the Zephyrhills Travel Guide because that was our home base).

At the Palm Harbor Homes factory for building mobile homes we got the factory tour.
They sit you down as a group with a company representative and you fill out a form that basically wants to find out if you are interested in buying a home. (If you answer "yes, I am interested" then you will be spotlighted by the representative during the tour). Then you get to view a 15 minute video on the mobile home process and how good these homes are (they do have free popcorn.... really). Then you walk through the manufacturing plant and see all the steps used to put together the parts that become prefab walls and fixtures. They have about 20 people working on different phases and items of each prefab section.
Then the tour goes to an overhead balcony where you see the prefab sections being joined into the final product. The tour is about an hour and (I thought) very interesting.

location is: 605 South Frontage Road, Plant City, FL (Plant City is an industrial suburb 10 miles south of Zephyrhills at junction of route 39 and I-4)

Plant City, FL

by davecallahan

We were in Plant City as part of our local tours around Zephyrhills and Hillsborough County where our parents were mobile-homed.

The area was a mix of suburb and industrial. Strawberry farms mixed in with gated communities, mobile home factories and strip malls.
The name of the city did not come from the strawberry PLANT, or the industrial PLANT, but from one of the earliest settlers/developers Henry Plant. (other names of the city have been: Cork City for County Cork Ireland where some inhabitants immigrated from; Ichepucksassa for the native American name for this area)

a good website for Plant City info is:

Wikipedia info:
30000 residents
The city is noted for its association with the annual Strawberry Festival.

ZIPCODES 33563 through 33567 are Plant City in Hillsborough County
028-01-05N 082-07-24W
28.018, -82.120
Area Code is 352

"interesting facts"

Important things for Plant City are transportation, animal husbandry and native american heritage. These are remembered in symbols on their government emblems.

Kawayala_Ash's new Plant City Page

by Kawayala_Ash

Shalam, everyone! I know I'm a little late, but I wanted to post a little something about the wonderful trip and stay we had in Plant City, Florida (a suburb of Tampa). The trip was a long and grueling 11+ hours!! The dogs were more frustrated than my husband and I, being they were cooped up together in the back seat for nearly half a day, with only a few tree and exercise breaks! For the most part, however, the trip was very enjoyable (at least for me, who didn't have to do all that driving!). I loved seeing new things, especially when we really started getting deep into Florida, further from Mississippi.

Well, it was inevitable that we should get lost! And, of course, it was at the bitter end of the drive, right on the outskirts of the city, that we did get lost. In fact, we wound up in St. Petersburg (where there are very friendly people, I might add). But, praise God, we finally made it to our parents' home. We were really happy to get in, too, especially being that the Sabbath had just begun (it was nighttime Friday when we finally made it in), so we could stretch out and rest.
We stayed for about a week there in Plant City, just fellowshipping and enjoying one another's company, really. Together we kept the weekly Sabbaths, Chanakah Sabbaths and the New Moon Sabbath as best we could.

The weather in that area was terrific for December! The air was fantastic: cool, but just under chilly, and humid, but not choking. Oh, it was fabulous. I really liked to get out into that air. We also visited my sisters and their children in Riverview, which is not even 14-16 miles from Plant City. It's about a 30 minute drive in "good" traffic. It's a nice little place, too. Although there isn't a great deal I can tell you about the area, I CAN tell you that you'll simply ADORE the climate. Shalam!

Comments