Ocean Point Resort

1208 N. Ocean Blvd., (Formerly Quality Inn Oceanfront), Pompano Beach, Florida, 33062, United States

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Ocean Point Resort

Do not come with high expectations and you'll have a good time.

I came to this hotel (Now called "Ocean Point Resort") with 9 other college-aged girls expecting the worst. I read the reviews on this website before I went (March 12-19, 2005), and I got really frightened.
The lobby will make you think that the rooms are equally as nice. They aren't. However, if you aren't bothered by a couple stains on the carpet, you will find that the guest rooms are kept clean. Maid service was prompt and we found that they change the sheets and comforters (!!!!) quite regularly. The maids are a little stingy with the towels, so if you find that you don't have enough, ask the front desk to send more. Don't ask the maid, she'll give you ONE along with a dirty look.
There is absolutely nothing within walking distance. The first night my friend and I walked 3 miles total to the Walgreens. Don't do this to yourself. Bring everything you will need, including bottled water, toiletries, etc. etc., or bring a car. The shop was open almost every day we were there, but it's very small and mostly filled with junky stuff.
The restaurant in the hotel, U.S. Steakhouse, was absolutely delicious. We liked everything on the menu that we tried. However, the restaurant, along with almost everything else in the hotel, is understaffed. You need to have patience....including patience with the elevators that run VERY VERY slowly.
The pool and Tiki Bar are nice. The beach chairs seem like they'd be free, but they cost $4/day. So, don't get frustrated when you're laying on one and a cabana boy comes up to you asking for money. Of course, when you're 10 hot college chicks, you get a lot of things for free. (wink wink).
Getting to hot spots in Ft. Lauderdale is about a $20-25 cab ride. The bus runs until about 10:45 and costs only $1 to get there.

All in all it was a fine trip. It's right on the beach so if you hate the hotel (which you need to be a big snob to hate it) then get a pina colada from the Tiki Bar, lay on the beach, and quit crabbing! :) :)

We weren't disappointed....

After reading some pretty poor reviews, we went to this property anyways for an inexpensive break from the single digit temps here in Ohio. My boyfriend and I expected to find a room worthy of simply stowing our suitcases in and taking after-beach showers. What we got was a reasonably clean, spacious room big enough to do cartwheels in (huge walk-in closet also). From the balcony we could see a large chunk of ocean....and the condo's next door. No big deal! The air conditioner didn't work very well, but we didn't make an issue since it was February and the ocean breeze kept us cool.

Housekeeping had the room well stocked. Shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower cap, etc. Microwave, mini fridge coffee maker worked perfectly. No problems with TV, got ALL the channels promised, but for heavens sake...why would you complain about the number of channels on TV when you're at a beachfront hotel!

Front desk staff was consistently polite. We were early for check in by several hours so we went to the pool area. Front desk staff came out to tell us when our room was ready! As far as the elevators go, they moved at the same pace as any other pneumatic elevator in the world....we have to be patient and stop being in such a hurry....we're on vacation!

We enjoyed the Tiki bar... Clint made a mean margarita! Live music always a plus. The pool was not heated so we stayed out (a bit of a bummer) Guests from hotels down the beach even came to our Tiki bar because it was much more fun. The indoor lounge drew a large 50+ local crowd for dancing to a wonderful live band on Saturday and Sunday nights. We didn't eat in the restaurant but it always smelled good. We did sample appetizers while at the Tiki bar and they were very good.

OK, so the place was a little grimy....big deal. But with hundreds of sweaty, sandy bodies tromping in and out all day long, what do you expect. The hallways were spotless on our floor (4th) and the coin laundry a few steps down the hall was a god-send. The outside paint is peeling.....I wouldn't expect anything less from a structure exposed to heat from the sun, salt from the ocean, and hurricanes!! I guess the bottom line is, the Ocean Point Resort is a nice place for those of us who don't require too much perfection. If you want a ritzy resort though, pay for one and quit complaining. We will definately consider coming back.

Perfect Affordable GETAWAY

Great location...hotel on the water, water sports (jetskiis, parasailing), pool right outside hotel, tiki bar (hot bartenders), Restaurant on the premises (US Steakhouse), 40 minutes from Miami (fantastic nightlife), 10 minutes from Ft Lauderdale strip. NEED I say MORE! If your looking for a getaway...affordable and nothing too luxurious - BOOK YOUR ROOM NOW!

You will need a car

by TripAdvisor Member drr49

I stayed here in December, and it was nice. The property is in good shape, and it is right on the beach. Each room comes with a mini-fridge and microwave, which is not mentioned in the web site.

The facilities (pool, restaurant, etc.) are fine, and the beach is quite nice and free of locals. I think the general population of Pompano is too old to go to the beach. Nice place to go for a very quiet time at the beach.

The downside is that there is nothing else nearby, not even a 7-11, within 2 mi. Just high rise condos, and a few other hotels, so you will need some form of transportation.

The upside is that the hotel is 9 stories tall, with 6 story buildings on either side. The top 3 floors have really nice partial ocean views, and with the balcony running E-W, you also get great sunsets as well.

Nice place if you want a real quiet time.

Bed bugs in room 316

Great location, beautiful view but very dirty. Air conditioner did not work
well, elevators slow and one broken. My bed had bed bugs that fested on me all night. Little bugs filled with my blood were crawling off. I collected a few in a cup and showed them to my wife. We checked out that day Dec 2004.

Good price for location, but needs some help

The price was right for early December and we loved the fact that the place was right on the beach. It was disappointing when we checked in at 3 a.m. due to flight delays we were told that there were no more non-smoking rooms available, "except for the "handicapped" room." We're very flexible and we were extremely tired so we didn't care if the room was handicapped accessible, as long as it was non-smoking. Yet, it was disappointing to find that the room that they have made handicapped accessible was in such poor condition, with it's location in the back of the hotel on the 2nd floor above the dumpsters. It was poorly maintained, with a television that was fuzzy and mattresses that were so old they creaked. After teaching for 14 years with kids with disabilities, I was disappointed!
When awakened by housekeeping at 9 a.m., we requested that she stop back later due to only having 5 hours of sleep. As is turned out, at 2:00 p.m., we requested towels only. Our first request for towels was followed up with 3 additional requests, yet no one ever came with the towels. After returning from visiting friends at 1:30 a.m., and seeing that we still had not received clean towels, I brought the dirty towels to the front desk to get clean ones myself.
Although it didn't appear that the restaurant was serving food, we were happy to be able to get breakfast outside, which was good. We asked to see another room, to see what a "regular" room might be like, and what we saw was very pleasing. Due to it's location on the beach and to our friend's house in Margate, we would give this hotel another try, yet not without having a back up plan. There is a nice Holiday Inn right down the street for the same pricing.

Beautiful!!! Will Return (from The Cute Girls trip divas!!)

Hey!! It's the Cute Girls. We're a bunch of ladies during our middle life crisis whose self appointed jobs are to vacation like nuts and then write reviews on tons of trip websites. This Ocean Point hotel was MAGNIFICENT!! I think they just redid it when we got there, but anyways. Like, one night, I was explaining to my friend Sally about how I was just getting of an Atkins Extreme diet and craving wild rice -- and the kind Asian girl at the front lobby counter gave me a menu to this cute little place just down the road! Its in close distance of the Galleria Mall, which is a total plus, if I do say so myself. It was so fun I couldn't help but want to return. The Tiki Bar, in some of your reviews says it was for the old crowd. Well, needless to say, when we showed up, WE were the old crowd - a few forty year old shopaholics! The place was hoppin. Although, the bartender wasn't the greatest - she was a little odd if I do say so myself. And the live music got a little sore, and the floor was once wet in the morning and when we returned that night... I LOVED THIS PLACE BEYOND EXTREMES. You can't ask for perfection -- believe me, as the Cute Girls, this is something we know well. We are extremely into going to exotic places with warm weather and extremely comfortable circumstances, but no one's askin for a 5+++ star with free Gucci handbags! Believe me, if you're not Trump himself, you'll bask in the fun adn glory this place totally has to offer. You gotta come on down! We're returning winter break week in February, so be sure to stop by! Make sure you ask if the Cute Girls are booked. Love ya, your trip divas -- The Cute Girls<3

Not bad for a low-budget trip

A tiny staff struggles to maintain this fading, peeling, property. I enjoyed the nice clean pool and tiki bar, just steps from the beach. The restaurant serves great steaks, too. But there appears to be only one server for the entire restaurant, all day....and you will have to hunt her down if you want breakfast. No shops, convenience stores, restaurants, or ANYTHING other than other hotels / condos within walking distance. The hotel has a very small store with few items and it is usually closed, so bring everything you need if you don't have a car. But the room was OK (don't insist on non-smoking, though), and includes a microwave oven, fridge, and coffee service. As long as you have the right expectations - think upscale motel rather than downscale resort - you'll be fine.

Spring Break from Hell!

Where do I begin? I ended up staying at this hell hole becasue of a package I was suckered into that claimed I would be staying at a hotel in Fort lauderdale. This hotel is about 30-40 minutes away from Ft. Lauderdale (as well as other living beings!). It was so far away from anything. My boyfriend and I ventured out one day on foot to see what we could find in the middle of nowhere (since we didn't have a car and were not informed that we would need one because "everything is so close" (bull!). We ventured out about 2 miles until our legs were tired and we couldn't walk anymore. We had to call a taxi to take us back to the hotel. This was a horrible location for 2 people in their mid-twenties. There was nothing going on in this town, except for old, redneck local guys getting drunk at the tiki bar, or 80-year old women talking about who they wanted to hook up with that night. It was literally like the Twilight Zone. And that's just the location. I could go on all day about the disgusting hotel that should be condemned.
Don't let the lobby fool you. It looks half-way decent but the rest of the hotel is not. The hallways stink like mold and mildew; the rooms smell like rotting animal flesh. The floors are sticky and turn your socks/feet black; the water pressure in the shower is so poor it doesn't even feel like I was clean after taking a shower; and the beds were gross- the sheets were stained orange and red with God-knows-what on them. The worst part of the rooms was the AC. It was the loudest, most non-functioning piece of crap that I have ever seen. The worst part about the AC was the noise that it made every so often, "bomp bomp bomp." And it did this all night long! We couldn't get any sleep!!! The elevators were a death trap waiting to happen--everyone who rode the elevator feared for their lives everytime they rode it. And at any given moment either one or both of the elevators were not working, which wasn't good for us because we were on the 8th floor.
We thought that maybe the outside (pool/beach) would be nice. Wrong!!!! The pool/ pool area was dirty and the beach was gross. The only cool thing was the water sports(if you're interested in that kind of thing). But their equipment wasn't good.
This place was horrible. The only good thing was the service. Everybody was extremely nice to us. So please don't be fooled by the hotel's claim that they are near attractions and restaurants. There is nothing there. If you have to stay there, rent a car or you will be bored out of your mind. Or you're going to pay a lot in cab fare, getting to an area that actually has stuff (like we did). If you go to Ft. Lauderdale stay around Las Olas Blvd where all the shopping and restaurants are. And if you have to stay in Pompano Beach, stay around Commercial Drive, which actually has some life (about 3 miles away from this hotel). I will never in my life stay at this hotel again, or in Pompano Beach.

Pompano Beach

by rdywenur

"Hilsboro Beach Lighthouse"

"Beautiful Beaches"

"Scenic and restful"

These views are taken from behind the Ocean Point Resort located at 1208 N. Ocean Blvd, Pompano Beach, Fl. Great tiki bar and live karioke.

Comments