Surf Rider Resort By Evrentals

1441 S Ocean Blvd, Pompano Beach, Florida, 33062, United States

More about Pompano Beach

view of intracostal, sands hotelview of intracostal, sands hotel

Bridge openingBridge opening

What's nearby?

by dnwitte

My companion and I plan a road trip from Boston (where spring is a cruel joke) to Florida in mid April. We have no set itinerary or have-to's, it's just a getaway, and today an acquaintance offered the use of his vacant condo in Pompano Beach. Suddenly the trip becomes affordable, but we know nothing about the area and aren't really big beach sitters.
So the question is, what are interesting activities in the area and fun day trips from Pompano Beach? We're especially interested in classic old Florida kitsch (my friend is European) and nature excursions, especially canoeing or kayaking. Is the place near anything other than resorts and subdivisions? We're not afraid of serious driving or overnight suggestions, but we don't have a lot of money.
Thanks tons for any response.

Re: What's nearby?

by seagoingJLW

You will be only about 40 miles from Miami Beach, which has the old art deco hotels. South Beach is the place to see.

Joan

Re: What's nearby?

by rossandkelli

You are close to a ton! I'll be in boca in April too...great time of year.

OK, you can go to Miami which would be a lot of fun with South Beach and the Art Deco.

Or, drive up to West Palm Beach, go to some marinas and check out the yachts...they are amazing. There is also Clematis St. in WPB which is great to shop/dine.

Fort Lauderdale is a stones throw and has a lot to do on the beach, nightlife etc.

You can take a day cruise to the Bahama's too.

Go to the everglades for an airboat ride, check out everglades safari rides

From Pompano, Key Biscayne and Islandmarada is only about 1.5 hours.

You can drive to Key West in 4-5 hours too, there is a hostel in the middle of town if you wanted to spend the night or do as my husband and I, stay out at the bars until 4, sleep on the beach or in the car! Go to Malory Square. Check out my VT page on this.

Driving to the Key's there is a ton to do, swim with the dolphins, jet skiing etc.

Once you get there go to the local bars/rest near the beach and start talking...you'll get a ton of ideas!

by dnwitte

Hey, thanks for the ideas.
The art deco hotels of Miami are definitely on the list as we are architecture buffs and my companion has seen very little of the US.
About the Everglades: He was a biology student with a specialisation in marsh ecosystems, so the Everglades are on his list of 10 things to see before he dies, but how accessible would independent canoe trips be for us?
And where oh where do we find old Florida kitsch? You know, like reptile farms, shell outlets, restaurants shaped like the food they sell, cypress knees, flea markets---all things I remember fron visiting the grandparents back in the sixties.
My father tells me that Key West is about as riveting as Elizabeth New Jersey only hotter, but he hates all cities. What he describes sounds too busy for us, but what about the other Keys?
Thanks people.

by ZenGator

Old Florida kitch has mainly gone the way of the Florida Panther -- it's not gone, but endangered and hard to find. Try reading a book by Carl Hiaasen...

And though I can't help you much on south Florida specifics, I still recommend the Nature Coast if you get a chance on the way up or down:

by dnwitte

Thanks. I visited that website and it looks great----more like what we're looking for. Of course, having a place to stay ay no charge also has its attractions even if it's in Pompano beach..

by cblanc9

Key West is a charming town. It is touristy. But a great place to get away & the drive is beautiful. In Islandmaroda I stay at a little place called Coral Bay. There is a web site. You may want to just drive down and stop at all the motels on either side of the road. So many to choose from.

RE: RE: What's nearby?

by rdywenur

In Boca is Gumbo Limbo Nature Center. It is free. They have salt water tanks with seaturtles and other fish. A boardwalk through vegetation, butterfly garden. It is only about a 15-20min drive up the coast A1A. Stop at the Whales Rib for lunch in Deerfield. www.gumbolimbo.org

Comments