812 Kings Hwy, Port Charlotte, Florida, 33980, United States

Port Charlotte MarinaPort Charlotte Marina

Port Charlotte or Cape Coral

by zol123

Hi everyone,
We are a british family trying to decide on our vacation for next April. We have narrowed it down to Port Charlotte or Cape Coral. We will be renting a house and looking for boat hire. We have a 13yr old son and like a good choice of restaurants to hand. Where do you think we would be better suited, we are striggling to find any good tourst info on either area. Dont be biased now!
Many Thanks for your help.

RE: Port Charlotte or Cape Coral

by gaolei

I agree, this is not a beach destination. It is where people live and enjoy their retirement. The fishing is great, and it is not that far to Sanibel or Captiva islands. but there is no beach here. Look at my Port Charlotte page for information about the closest beach.

I was there last week. I have a boat and the fishing was spectacular. I caught Redfish, Macrel, Ladyfish, Whiting and a 5+ foot shark in the harbor. In Boca Pass the Tarpon were everywhere.

I would go to Naples for a beautiful destination with lots of prime beach and good hotels just north of town at Vanderbuilt beach. Naples also has a lot of real good restaurants. Port Charlotte has a Hooters, TGIF, Olive Garden and many more chain restaurants. Not much in gourmet food.

Travel Tips for Port Charlotte

My Second Home

by gaolei

"The Second Home"

I had a second house built here in 2004. This will be my getaway house and, eventually, a retirement home. The house is on a salt water canal in the Gulf Cove region. My boat is sitting in its lift behind the house, waiting for me to take it fishing.

Port Charlotte is typical of small American cities, it has no real identifying features. The city has all the usual stores, Wal-mart, two Home Depots, TGIF, Olive Garden, you know, all the chain stores. It is primarily a waterfront home to snowbirds, like me.

What it does have is good salt water access and fishing. It also has good weather all year, especially in the winter, when I would be freezing in RI. And, up until the last 3 years, it had nice homes for reasonable prices. The real estate market has driven prices up dramatically on waterfront property making them out of the average persons grasp.

"Fishing in Port Charlotte"

My home is in the South Gulf Cove area. It is an area with many man made canals that allow quick water access for the homes on their banks. My home is one of them.

The local city advertises the area as the fishing capital of Florida. You can fish in the canal behing your home, the Myaka river, the Port Charlotte harbor, Boca Grande pass, and the Gulf of Mexico. This area is also the home to the Tarpon, one of the top game fish in the USA.

"Other interesting things about living here."

The canals have all kinds of interesting things living in them. I have seen sharks, alligators, dolphins, game fish and manatees behind my house. Swimming is not encouraged here. If you want to swim, go down to the Gulf.

Comments