105 North Bayshore Drive, Safety Harbor, Florida, 34695, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Safety Harbor Resort And Spa

Baranoff Oak & Dr. Salem H. Baranoff

by Ewingjr98

This 100 foot tall Baranoff Oak, also called the Safety Harbor Oak, has a circumference of 20 feet at the base. The park around the oak -- Baranoff Park -- was established in 2004, and it was then that both the park and the tree were named after Dr. Salem H. Baranoff.

Baranoff was born in Kiev, Russia to a Jewish family and he came to the US in 1904. He became a doctor, practicing in New York City prior to starting his first health spa in Spring Valley, New York. When he came to Safety Harbor, the site of the spa was a natural spring and a rehabilitation sanitarium for alcoholics. Baranoff bought the town's five waterfront springs in 1945 and formed the site into Florida's first health spa and a major destination for visitors and celebrities. Baronoff also used his wealth to help the local community, donating the land for the library, helping purchase the American Legion building, and providing scholarships for local youth. Baraonoff died in 1977 at his home in Safety Harbor.

The plaque at the base of the mighty oak reads:

“The Baranoff Oak”

This tree is reportedly the oldest living
Live Oak Tree in Pinellas County and is
estimated to be between 300 to 500 years
old. This grand oak tree is registered with
The Live Oak Society of the Louisiana
Garden Club Federation, Inc.

Erected by the
Safety Harbor City Commission
2005

Great Hotel If You Get A Cheap Rate

We stayed at the Safety Harbor Resort and Spa on April 6 - 8, 2004. We booked the hotel through Hotwire.com for $54 per night. After reading many negative reviews we were obviously a bit concerned. Fortunately, everything was good during our stay. I don't know if we were lucky or what, but my husband said he heard other people in the lobby on two different occasions complaining about various things, such as ants in their room. The hotel is definitely in need of refurbishment, however our room was very clean and the housekeeping was excellent. We got a "Tower" room with a private balcony and a pretty good view of the bay.
The front desk staff was always courteous to us and we even had a great (however, expensive) room service breakfast during the first morning of our stay. We didn't get a chance to check out the spa or other facilities while there, but we did notice that the 2 pools we seen looked nice. The only really negative things I noticed were the slightly musty smell in our room and some damage to one part of the ceiling. Also, there was some sort of drink stain on the carpet/wall outside our room that was never cleaned up while we were there.
Overall, the resort was clean, very relaxing, and we never heard a sound from our room. If you can book this hotel for a cheap rate I think it's a good deal.

Okay If You Don't Expect Too Much

by TripAdvisor Member CatDStPete_Florida

Went for mothers day. I've had a better massage. The aroma therapy bath was Okay. The food was very good. The pool and bay view was nice. I wasn't impressed with the decor. They definately needed to remodel. No impressed.

Don't listen to bad reviews!

by TripAdvisor Member kellyrNj

Just returned from a great stay at Safety Harbor! I went down with my mom for a little mother-daughter bonding, and after reading the reviews we were a little apprehensive on the way to the hotel. We definitely didn't need to worry, our stay was fabulous! Yes, the hotel is older and needs some updating..they were replacing the carpet while we there, it looks great. Yes, the spa is on the lower level but the treatments are amazing and the staff is beyond pleasant. Robes are given freely each day, when you turn in the one from the day before and towels are always stocked in the spa area. The hotel is huge, the spa just goes on and on, the outdoor pool is always in the sunlight with a pool bar right next to it, the fitness classes are always ongoing, and the food in the restaurant was excellent. There are many tennis courts, and no extra fee to play if you're a resort guest. Our room in the towers was spacious, with a beautiful view of Tampa Bay and the marina nearby. I would recommend doing a spa/fitness package, which is what we did, where you get a certain number of points to put towards the spa services and all meals are included. I honestly have nothing bad to say about our trip whatsoever, I can't believe some other reviewers have called it a dump! A vacation at Safety Harbor is a stay in a charming, older, landmark hotel that has been around for many years and with the stay we had I hope its around for many more! My only recommendations to future vacationers at this hotel are to make your spa reservations as far in advance as possible because the spa staff are a bit hard to get ahold of (faxing worked best for us) and also to claim pool lounge chairs early, especially if you're staying over a weekend because it can get pretty crowded by the pool and the chairs are hard to come by after 11 or so. I would highly recommend this hotel to friends and family who are looking for a great spa experience, which was our main reason for picking Safety Harbor. We loved it!

A complete waste

Save your time and money. I arrived at the hotel and the lady at the reception assigned me to a smoking room. When I called the front desk and asked for a non-smoking room, I was asked to come back to the desk and told that there was no non-smoking Standard room with a single bed so I would have to upgrade. I was tired after a long flight and I agreed.

However, even after an upgrade I was sent to a room with 2 double beds.
Exhausted after 10 hours of airport navigating and 2 rounds of their reception - I decided to stay in the room. It turns out the room had cockroaches and a leaking ceiling in the shower. The cleaning lady never cleaned the room on any of the 3 days - she would just make the bed each day but never vaccuum or clean the bathroom...

The keys for all guests stop working at some point - I saw at least 4 people in my various trips to the reception come with the same complaint and on my 3rd day I had to walk back to the reception with laptop and all - because my key too stopped working.

A total waste of time and effort - I was on a business trip and wish I had stayed someplace better.

spa great food sevice big fat zero

Had a great time at the hotel..We had the more expensive room down by the pool and it was beautifulAND .loved the spa and hot tub pool and sauna.,brought my own oils it was much cheaper the resteraunt in the hotel was anouther thingyou would figure with a 5 star rating the food and service would be much better. i have never had such bad service in my life. we waited 45 min after being seated just to get coffee the first day and ended up getting up and getting it myself. the next am was the same thing. We ended up recruiting one of the bus booys to be our server. the food was horriable. even the manager seemed to be at his witts end as he stated that he was tierd of making excuses. i find this pretty sad after all the money i had spent. this little get away my girlfriends and i went on was not cheap. i love having coffee in my robe in the am out on the patio but if i come again i will venture out into town for my meals and i encourage you to do the same. it is a great little town

Fantastic massage at Safety Harbor

Stayed May 1 at Safety Harbor. The booking agent, Nancy, made this last minute reservation, (booked the night before) coordinated with massages for my husband and myself easy and fun. She is a real asset to the organization.
After reading all the negative reviews on your site, I almost didn't book, but figured for one night we couldn't go that wrong.
Check in was pleasant, and the massage by Debbie Barnett was fantastic.
Dinner was pleasant enought outside by the fountain.
However, the property is severly run down. The location at the end of the main street of a charming town, overlooking the bay was great, but the hotel needs millions pumped into it to live up to its former greatness.
The place has great, but currently unrealized, potential.

Class Reunion was not good

Our 25th class reunion was held at this so called resort. Since class reunions only happen once in a lifetime I was thinking that the spa was supposed to be a almost out off this world experience which needless to say was not. I am just glad I didn't stay the weekend there. We was put in the Tampa Bay Room which was not bad except for the air not working properly(there was 60 -70 people in there counting the wait staff) so it turned out very warm for the clothes we had worn. Had I known this I would have come in dress shorts for the formal dinner night. The food was less than terrible and I feel for the price we had to pay, we did not get a good deal in other words we were charged way to much. It is pretty bad when they serve the coffee, a member of the waitstaff has to go from table to table with a carton of half and half to put in the coffee.Even if the turn over of staff is bad, there still should be ample creamer to put on each table. The food was bland and tasteless although I must say the chocolate cake was good but a little rich, but it at least had some flavor. Hopefully whenever the 30 reunion comes around it will not be held here.

I'd rather wipe with sandpaper

We were very concerned after reading the reviews. Like dumb----- we went anyway. We went in with very low expectations and even those were not met. The pictures on the website must be from another hotel, or someone's very good at photoshop.

A Good Value for $75 Night

by TripAdvisor Member PuertoRicoRick

We stayed in a ground floor room just off the pool, from 6/10-13. The hotel and our room were clean, but the room did have a musty smell. The carpet replacement at the resort appeared complete. They had posted that they would have the air conditioning shut off for repairs throughout the resort for a few days (after our stay fortunately). The ceiling leaks in our friends' room appeared to be coming from the overhead A/C, our room was fine. The pool was very nice, drinks at the bar were expensive. The menu was limited in the resaurant and others said the food was not great. There are great places to eat within 2 blocks. The Paradise cafe' and the 2nd Italian restaurant down the street on the left (although slow service) had good food at very good prices. We did not sample any of the spa services. The resort appears to be making progress with the building repairs (still has some broken roof tiles and the A/C leaks to finish). No way would I have paid rack rate, but at $75 night - 4 night special (Expedia) it was a good value. Don't let the extremely negative reviews scare you. While it is not an "elite" resort, you shouldn't expect one under $100 per night. Overall - good and getting better.

Comments