Best Western Historical Inn

More about Saint Augustine

Cathedral Basilica of St. AugustineCathedral Basilica of St. Augustine

Rodriguez HouseRodriguez House

surf stationsurf station

Cap's on the waterCap's on the water

Is this a good place for a single 40something woman traveling alone?

by Fyrecat

Hello everyone,

I'm considering a trip to St. Augustine, based on a friend telling me how pretty it is, and also that it's not just a 'beach town' (Important, since I want to go to the beach, but I want to do other things as well.

I'm a woman, traveling alone, and I don't drive, but I was told that the trolly goes alot of places, including to the beach, and there are things to see and do in St. Augustine itself.

My questions are...I'm considering the Holiday Inn Downtown Historic District. It has a pool, and it is supposed to be centrally located, anyone have any ideas on it? Do they have a contienetal breakfast?

the other is I'm wondering what else is around to see and do for someone traveling alone? Is there evening enternatinment, or do they just roll up the sidewalks?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thankyou,
Fyre

RE: Is this a good place for a single 40something woman traveling alone?

by baybreezin78

St. Augustine is my favorite FL spot to visit! It is certainly not just a beach down. It is full of history...has the oldest schoolhouse, the fountain of youth, this huge ancient fort that sits right on the water, etc. You can walk up and down it's old cobblestone roads and explore or you can sit and soak up the sun on the beach! I honestly don't know anything about the hotel you asked about...why not give them a call and inquire about breakfast options and the pool location. During the evening there are little cafes and bars open all along the strip in the historic district. It is a safe place for you to travel alone...enjoy!!

by VdV

It's been a few years since I've been to St. Augustine, but it whould be a nice place to visit on your own. It's very quaint. Enjoy!

by catalysta

Email VTer Richiecdisc, and have a look at his St. Augustine pages first. He lives there, and has some of the best travel info on VT.

RE: Is this a good place for a single 40something woman traveling alone?

by lazytrans

You will love it here. Prior to booking at any hotel/motel or Bed and Breakfast, go to Tripadvisor.com and read the reviews written by former
guests/tourists PRIOR to booking. I think you would want to stay a little
closer to the action than the Holiday Inn (everyone will tell you they are in
the historic district) so you have to ask regarding how close they are to landmarks like St. George Street, Flagler College, Lightner Museum, and ask if you would have to drive to get to these places. If they say yes, book elsewhere.This is a walking city; you want to walk everywhere as the traffic is bad, bad bad, and there is NO parking. The trolley can get your around, but it gets stuck in the traffic also; ;you want to walk....
St. Augustine has the feeling of Europe, more
like Spain, to it, the oldness, and quaintness and just the feel. There is entertainment, music at night, in many bars and restaurants. You won't feel
alone eating in our wonderful restaurants, either. I would definitely suggest a bed and breakfast being alone on your own. You won't feel alone, you will feel safe, and B & B owners will help you find good restaurants, night life, etc. Let us know what you decide. Take Care.

by Mehmet1234

Very good advice Lazytans. We are having a st.augustine meeting in jan5th friday night if u wanna join us. Katmo will be hosting the meeting you can check her homepage. Meet us at Mcknights in downtown.

Mehmet

Travel Tips for Saint Augustine

Though the whole town is a...

by richiecdisc

Though the whole town is a period piece, the Spanish Quarter Museum is a recreated village where it is always 1740. There is a group of colonial buildings in which guides recreate the dress and lifestyle of the 18th century beginnings of the city. It's conveniently located on St. George Street. St. Augustine surprised me. It was supposed to be just a short stop on our trip up the east coast to New Jersey and though the visit was brief, it was still longer than anticipated. I had figured an early morning departure from Ft. Lauderdale would bring us into America’s oldest city around lunchtime, making it possible to visit the local brewpub before sightseeing the entire afternoon. From there, it was a short drive to Jacksonville, where I reckoned there was cheaper accommodation to be found and of course, another brewpub for dinner. But plans have a way of changing on such spur of the moment trips and we found ourselves in this historically rich city with no appetite for lunch. We’d eaten some snacks in the car and it was a very hot Florida day, reducing our hunger to an imperceptible murmur. We passed by the brewpub and though I was thirsty, I resisted my desire to go in for a beer and played the good host to my visitor from Germany, showing her the sights I’d only seen once some twenty years earlier on an adolescent family trip. But all of my memories had faded and I found myself walking around in pleasant awe of this oasis of American culture. The day went by quickly and we tried to get a double room in the hostel I had read about on the Internet but had decided not to stay at, as I had thought the town didn’t require an overnight stop. It was a shame as the hostel looked very special but there was no time to cry over spilled milk, as it was now happy hour at the brewpub we had passed earlier. We sauntered over and greeted by the cool air conditioning and two-dollar pints, we settled into the bustling convivial pub. It was that rare brewpub that had managed to become a local hangout as well as a beacon restaurant for tourists due to its central location. The food was great and the beers better than I expected in this senior citizen haven. It was Doreen’s first experience with American beer and she was surprised how much she enjoyed it and I was happy that she enjoyed the place as well. After a few hours, it was obvious that Jacksonville was out of the question and I was now stuck with the task of finding some reasonable accommodation, late on a Friday night. St. Augustine is a very touristy town and the hostel was certainly the best deal at $38 a double but I’d stupidly not booked that so now I’d have to hunt to find a bargain. Instinctively I knew to head over the bridge that lie just next to the brewpub where there was a row of inexpensive and admittedly seedy motels waiting for inspection. It was the first time that we would have to get a room and wasn’t sure what Doreen expected from this budget savvy traveler. The hostel would have been perfect; it was just the right combination of romantic Bed & Breakfast and funky alternative shoestring that I always strive for, and I knew the alternatives were not going to be pretty. I went to at least three but it was getting late and there wasn’t much difference between them. I reluctantly handed over the extortionate $45 and then moved onto the even harder task of showing the room to this sweet girl whom I’d convinced to come visit me. It wasn’t really all that bad though it was certainly poor value. I’d stayed in much worse places but generally with much lower price tags. Doreen was not impressed and amazed at how expensive the United States could be. I had to admit that for that money, you would get a much nicer room in Germany, with a hearty breakfast included. We took a nap and shower and headed back into town, which seemed deserted now, even though it was only about ten o’ clock, on a Friday night no less! Still we enjoyed wandering the deserted streets romantically aglow with ersatz gas lamps and had a cappuccino at an outside café rather than go back to the brewpub. We got back to our place later than expected and slept deeply after the busy day. We awoke late the next morning to find the room not looking as scary as it did when dimly lit by 40-watt bulbs the night before and laughed about our small squabble over the room and lack of organization. We had passed a few more tests and made some compromises. I hadn’t went straight to the brewpub as I normally would and Doreen had learned that once you’re eyes are closed all rooms look the same. We hastily packed up the car as we still had another 1000 miles to go on this adventure and we were getting a late start. It didn’t matter, our next stop wasn’t that far away, and besides, now I was in perfect position to stop in Jacksonville for lunch. And wouldn’t you know it, there was a brewpub there too. ;>

Via Kayak!

by donpaul77

Fort Matanzas is a small but beautifully located Spanish fort that was built in the 18th century, and the area has colonial history dating back to the 16th century. A free guided ferry tour can be undertaken from the visitor's center. There is also a short boardwalk nature trail here.

We opted to approach the fort via Kayak, putting in at a parking lot a few hundred yards from the park entrance on A1A. We kayaked against the weak current up to the fort, enjoying the slow scenic approach. One caveat is that you are not allowed to access the fort from any means other than the ferry!

On the way back down the river, we beached our kayaks on the bank opposite the parking lot, and got a private beach and swam with the dolphins! (okay, the dolphins wouldn't let us within a 100 feet ;)

There are several places in the area to rent Kayaks, and many other places to enjoy them!

From St. Augustine: Follow Highway A1A south for approximately 15 miles to the park entrance on the right side of the road.

Meehan's Irish Pub

by Ewingjr98

Meehan's Pub is a new bar right on the waterfront in historic St. Augustine. Though it just opened in February 2010, it already has a good reputation among locals, as the innkeeper at our B&B recommended it to us.

We sat at the bar here one rainy Thursday night. We had a few pints of Guinness and Harp, while chatting with the friendly bartender. The staff here is very friendly and professional, and the beer is fresh and cold. We didn't try the food, but heard it is very tasty.

The building, just 150 yards from the Castillo, was constructed in 1917 as the home of a banker. Most recently, it housed another bar called the Tavern On The Bay.

great food, music and atmosphere

by browndwbtd

went several times during our stay - nice staff -did not rush us so we could listen to the music sitting in the outdoor area - food is very good - much of St Augustine dinning is good - so the music sort of kicks OC into a more fun place any seafood was good

Great food and atmosphere

by tigerskeet about Columbia Restaurant

Great food and atmosphere. Have to sit in the patio dining room. I don't drink, but the wine list and the Sangria are suppsoed to be among the best. Cuban Sandwich for lunch or Paella for dinner.

Smoked ham, pork, salami, Swiss cheese, dill pickle and mustard on hot Cuban bread. can you have a better sandwich?

I have had 2 differen Pealla's here, both are exceptional and full of clams, scallops, grouper, shrimp, etc...

Pricing? I really don't remember, so it must have been worth whatever I paid!

Comments