Casa de Suenos Bed and Breakfast

More about Saint Augustine

Flagler CollegeFlagler College

Cafe St GeorgeCafe St George

Guy in Period CostumeGuy in Period Costume

a jersey on the wall of the king's heada jersey on the wall of the king's head

Travel Tips for Saint Augustine

Frightseeing tours?!?

by Shihar

There seems to be a huge increase in these "ghost tours" throughout the city. The time I lived here there were no such tours that I knew of.

Oh well... If it brings money ...

They say the 3 most haunted places in town are: The Old Drug Store, The Spanish Military Hospital and the Old Jail.

You can contact Ghost and Gravestone "Frightseeing" Tours

Horse Drawn Carriages

by grandmaR

I saw these carriages waiting along the water front. I have not taken a carriage ride, but I went to the web site of the Avalon Carriage companies on the internet, and this is what they said:

Enjoy a 2-1/2 mile ride through the narrow, tree-lined streets of Saint Augustine where your driver will narrate the story of the Ancient City.

Surreys

Children (5-11) $7.00
Minimum $50.00

A great pub

by shohman about McKnight's

Update: sadly, McKnight's has closed. A true shame.
McKnight's is my type of pub. Run by a great guy named Roy, We had as much fun when it was packed as we did when there were only 4 people in the place. They have a pony contest for anyone interested.

Ugh, skip it.

by melosh about Santa Maria Restaurant

The restaurant has such a great location on the water, especially at night when its lights are part of the attraction of the waterfront, that I have been tempted to try it for years despite never having heard a local recommendation. It has some history and maybe there is some fun for children feeding the fish during the day, but the meals my wife and I had made me believe it only survives by attracting unsuspecting tourists.

We decided to give it a try on a Friday night after stopping at a couple other places with long waiting lines. There was no wait, which tells you something. My wife had a bloody mary from the bar but did not finish it because "it was not very good". Then her shrimp and scallop meal of pilaf rice was according to her inedible. I tasted them and it seemed you can get better out of a grocery freezer. My wife could not eat much of this meal and even got a little sick that evening and the next morning. I also had the gelantinous rice pilaf (awful), but my blackened grouper and string beans were pretty good.

The prices promised a much higher quality dinning experience. If you have to go to this restaurant and you have never had grouper this might be a place to try it. It was a special and not on the menu, but it was very good. Actually I have never had a bad filet of grouper ever in St. Augustine. I almost always have it blackened. To have it deep fried would be a waste.

You Can't Miss It!

by lulamae about Santa Maria

As you cross the Bridge of Lions into Historic St. Augustine, you see a resturant sititng on a pier all by itself to your left. Many times I visited St. Augustine with friends and passed by it. Finally, I decided to stop by and try it. The wait can be long, but there's no lack of entertainment by watching children feeding catfish off the side of the pier. (Don't worry, they don't serve them them on the next day's menu). The service is friendly, old Florida style and the food is excellent. As a french onion soup expert, I have to say that they have the best I've ever tasted.

Comments