2367 State Road 16, Saint Augustine, Florida, 32085, United States

More about Saint Augustine

Civil War MonumentCivil War Monument

Inside the ShrineInside the Shrine

mosiaic floormosiaic floor

sangrias on a rainy daysangrias on a rainy day

Driving down the coast via route 1A

by jimkpa

Hello VT members. I want your advice on a driving route. Our family is driving down I-95 from PA and will spend a day and overnight Friday in St Augustine. We will end up in Orlando to check in Saturday night.

Is it a good idea to take 1A down to Daytona Beach then get I-4 over to Orlando. I am sure it will take twice as long as I95 but thought it would be scenic and memorable. Maybe stopping along way to walk out on beach if possible.

Specifically, will I have to pay tolls to get down to Daytona at bridges and State Parks? How many?

Should I do it?

Jim

Re: Driving down the coast via route 1A

by Ewingjr98

Hey, you posted this two years ago and no answers? Just last summer we drove the route you describe, A1A from St. Augustine to Daytona Beach. This is a nice, scenic route with a few parks and some nice beach views. No tolls that I recall. Like you said, instead of one hour on I-95, it's more like two hours via A1A. In my opinion, if I have the time, I'd rather take the scenic route.

Re: Driving down the coast via route 1A

by jimkpa

Thanks. I will keep that in mind.
Jim

Travel Tips for Saint Augustine

Boating mecca

by barkybite

Some local pickups sport bumper stickers saying "St. Augustine-A quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem." It is, in fact the port for a large shrimping fleet. Charters for ocean fishing are available at five or six different marinas. This picture was taken at the English Harbor marina on the San Sebastian River. Some city landmarks are in the background, looking east. The old sternwheeler has been docked at the same spot for several years, and to my knowledge cannot be moved under its own power.

Great fishing trip

by deaglos

Hoped to go deep sea, but as the seas were to rough we stayed inshore.
Still had a great time with a guide that knew the area very well, and always had great stories about the areas he took us. Even with a good portion of the area under a red tide, he knew areas to go that we had a great trip. Had about 10 decent fish to bring home, and caught about 20+ more we thru back and had fun learning about like a Robin fish with legs and wings. He supplies all or can bring your own, just bring drinks and food. I even remembered to bring an extra large sub so could share with the Captian as I thought it was only curteous.

Harbor Tour

by grandmaR

While we were anchored in front of the fort, this sightseeing boat cruised by. I have not taken this cruise, because my husband would think I was out of my mind.

If you don't have your own boat however, this might be an enjoyable break, especially on a hot day.

From their website:

Relax and enjoy a one hour and fifteen minute cruise aboard the Victory III.
Departs daily from the Municipal Marina, in downtown St. Augustine.

Enjoy a unique view of St. Augustine available only from the water. Partially narrated tours from 3rd and 4th generation captains provide an incomparable way to enjoy St. Augustine's historic land marks and natural sites of interest

Adults $15.00
Junior (13-18) $8.00
Child (5-12) $6.00
Seniors (60+) $9.00

CARRIAGE TOURS

by LoriPori

The wonderful sight and sound of beautiful horses pulling a wonderful carriage filled with tourists, contribute to the ambiance of this old city. CARRIAGE TOURS is a great (and romantic) way to see St. Augustine. Carriages are located along the bayfront, right across from the Fort.

The spectacular place on the water!!!

by tmn113 about Conch House

I have been to a lot of restaurants around the country but never one as unique as The Conch House. The atmosphere is absolutely beautiful. I suggest dining in one of there tiki huts for the full effect. The staff were so pleasant and attentive. It was by far one of the most memorable dining experiences I have ever had. I went there for dinner and enjoyed the chef's platter for two. It was the most delicious meals I have had in such along time. It was packed with fresh shrimp, scallops, crab legs, mussels, clams, and oysters. It comes with a tropical house salad with an amazing tropical vinaigrette dressin and the chef's choice of potato and vegetable. I highly suggest this entree. There is more than enough food to enjoy.

Comments