Pirate Haus Inn

Expedia.com Hotels.com

School Holidays Budget Travel Historical Travel
See Amenities
JeanniesWorld's Profile Photo

lots of character and tons of fun!

by written on July 28, 2007

My favorite thing was that the hostel manager made me a pancake with my name in it!

This hostel provided a lot of things that most hostels don't such as a padlock for the storage locker, sheets, a velour blanket, pillowcase, and bath towel.

Unique Quality: Every room is uniquely decorated and everything is well themed

Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Not ANOTHER Pirate Haus Tip!

by written on January 17, 2007

I've stayed at the Pirate Haus several times. Previous times have been in the womens' dorm. This last visit I was in a private room that easily could sleep four. The private room was clean and not noisey. There is a mini-fridge and radio. No TV or phone. (But there is a TV room that has two computers and internet access.) There is a communal kitchen should you wish to cook, and a communal outdoor deck where you can sun, chat, and LIGHT UP A GRILL. (Yes, Conrad has a gas grill on the roof!) If you get lucky, you can really get LIT on that Grilling Deck!

Many others have written better, but I will say I've stayed here four times now, and I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else even if I had the big bucks. I just adore Conrad and I support his amazing effort at keeping this place clean, safe and fun for his guests. He is a true traveler and a gracious host! Here's to you, Matey! ARGGGHHH!

Unique Quality: Location rocks. Rooms are cool during hot days and quiet at night. The shared bathroom is cleaner than the private home bathrooms of some folks I know. (And my friends aren't dirty, but this is a testament to HOW clean this place is really kept!)

Some might shy from the "hostel" label... but you've heard this from others on this Pirate Haus Rant, and it stands repeating: If you EVER wanted to see what a real hostel is like, THIS AIN'T IT... The Pirate Haus is a "step above." But if you want to have Proper Backpacker Cred - STAY HERE. And then you can tell folks "I've stayed at a hostel"... We will know better. You were REALLY at the Pirate Haus.

And the Pirate Haus truly is in a league of its own!

Kudos, Conrad! Keep the light on for me, darlin'!

- HexeWench

PS - It is sad. Rocky Died. (You'll have to reserve the JUNGLE ROOM to understand this. The Bathroom. National Geographic photos. Rocky was an Ape in a series of photos that lined the wall in the bathroom, and while you are doing your business, you can follow his sad, tragic passing from this world!)

Directions: Right in the heart of historic St Augustine. Stumbling distance to ATM's and Bars... (And your interest will be one or the other, no doubt!)

NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

Youth Hostel? How about Old Dude Hostel?

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 12, 2007

Simply put, the Pirate Haus is the BOMB! Ever since my bivouac experience in the Army, I've shied away from anything less than Motel 6 though I must say that I've stayed in some better known hotels that provided less and much more like the bivouac. So, I was a bit wary knowing I was booked into the Pirate Haus... so much for being closed minded. The Pirate Haus was great!

There are dormatories that house 6-8 people at less than $20 per night but there are also several private rooms available as well. We stayed in the "Jungle Room" and though modest, it was clean, quiet and most accomodating. It was furnished with a double bed and one set of bunk beds, so 4 or 5 or 9 people could easily stay there! The walls were hand painted in a most interesting and professional jungle motif. Cudos to the artist!

Unique Quality: The location of the Pirate Haus could not be better! You're mere steps away from unique shops, boutiques, food, drink, jazz and other forms of entertainment but its just away enough to be laid back and restful. And, you meet some cool people there too!

I loved the bathroom too because on the wall directly across from the loo, there were pasted pictures of jungle canopy, animals, articles, & exotic locations arranged in a collage of National Geographic photos... There, as you comtemplate the meaning of life, a new image or awareness captured the imagination and transported you. I'm thinking of doing the same in my bathroom!

PS- Conrad, the Pirate proprietor is really cool!

Directions: Corner of Charlotte and Treasury Streets

Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

In the middle of town, and inexpensive

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 9, 2007

This is a hostel, not just a youth hostel in the middle of the touristy downtown. It's run by a rather laid back ex-Californian who is there all the time. It has private rooms and dorm style rooms. I stayed in a dorm room with up to 7 other people. Cost per night was $18/night.

Included in the price is a free brekkie of pancakes, and Conrad puts a smiley face on each pancake he makes.

You can't beat the price or the location. The free pancakes saves you a good $5 easily over buying it somewhere else. Nice place, I'd stay here again.

The dorm room had one bathroom off the room. The beds were more than fine. It was relatively quiet except for one guy who was a bit of a snorer. A common area has a tv and pc access.

Unique Quality: Pirate motif is ubiquitous. Non-smoking.

rafgys's Profile Photo

The best hostel I've ever stayed in!

by written on July 16, 2006

I went to St. Augustine with the idea of staying for a day... maybe two. After all, I spent four days in there... and had a great time!

The Pirate Haus is just amazing. The way you feel welcome is great. The way they themed the place with all that piracy thing is really cool. It's a nice place to stay at if you're a back-packer as well as if you are traveling with your familiy. Very nice atmosphere.

And one more thing but not least... the morning pancakes are on the house, and they are good!

Unique Quality: It's a hostel... there nothing that unique, except for the pirate decoration... that's impressing.

Directions: Historic District

I love fancy B&B's too, but forget them this once!

by written on March 24, 2006

"youth" hostel is misleading!

I am a college professor in my 60's, and my wife is a librarian about the same age. We have stayed at beaufiful B&B's from Victoria, B.C. to San Antonio to Charlottetown (PEI) to North Carolina, and 5-star hotels in both Asia and Europe. Sound like your typical hostel guests? Then why would we try a hostel? Because EVERYBODY loves this place! For example, check the Lonely Planet book on Florida, and try to find a hotel which gets as much space as Pirate Haus! Possible concerns we had before going:
too noisy? Didn't happen. Substandard bedding? Didn't happen! Not clean enough? Didn't happen. Too many teen-agers? Some of the visitors were older than we are! Downsides: yes, the parking for the private room people is tight, but arranging to make sure we could get out when we wanted to was easy. Common area was not as fancy as our home or a B&B, but I don't think many B&B's, at any price, were within walking distance of as many things as Pirate Haus. Anyway, we were here to see St. Augustine, not to admire furniture; we can do Victorian in our own bedroom at home better than most B&B's. Conrad loves to talk about this place, about what to see and where to eat. We found him a VERY good guide. We can hardly wait to go back with our grandsons!

shohman's Profile Photo

nice stairs

by written on September 11, 2005

ok, I didn't stay here

Unique Quality: I didn't stay here. I know it's not much of a tip, but aren't these stairs really cool?! Katmo says they also serve pirate pancakes, not sure what those are but they sound pretty good to me. Price is only 50-60 per night.

Katmosphere's Profile Photo

Time flies when you're having rum..and fun...

by written on August 1, 2005

I didn't actually stay here, but we were strangely drawn to go inside and check it out....There is a sign outside saying "free pirate pancakes" .

Unique Quality: The stairs are not to be missed. Just look, there is a pirate on them right now!!!

frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Pirate Haus Inn and Hostel

by written on July 29, 2005

No, I didn't stay here. But we stumbled upon this place while exploring the town. The people that work there are as unique as the place itself.

Unique Quality: Did you you know you can have 'Pirate Pancakes' free with your stay?

If it's good enough for "The Onion", it's good enough for you!

dln6874's Profile Photo

St. Augustine Youth Hostel

by written on May 10, 2003

The Pirate Haus boasts a "Fun European-Style Lodging in the Oldest City in the USA". While the accomodations are adequate, based on the kind of people who stayed there, I could hardly describe it as fun. I am sure these people were all nice, but there was a guy who looked mental (he seems to always be hanging out in the lobby), another weird lady, a woman travelling around with her 5 adorable girls, etc. Also, the hostel could use a bit more decorating to make it look more like a real "Pirate Haus". Don't get me wrong tho, it's not a bad place at all - everyone, including the staff, are all friendly and helpful. Sheets and towels are included, rooms are clean, and you get free pancakes for breakfast!

Unique Quality: TV, Internet Access (56K modem tho) for $1 every 20 min., sundeck. Check out the telephone booth.

Directions: Close to the bridge

richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Pirate Haus.

by written on August 24, 2002

Doubles without private bath were $38 mid-week. Dorm space was $15 I believe.

Unique Quality: This colorful and friendly hostel offers both dorm spance and private rooms, with and without private facilities. There are great common rooms and limited off street parking.

Nearby Pirate Haus Inn

• Business Services
  • Kids Activities
  • Free High Speed Internet

Saint Augustine Travel Forum

Need advice about Saint Augustine, Florida? Visit the Travel Forum for Saint Augustine and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Saint Augustine hotel reviews