Red Carpet Inn

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Saint Augustine

Inside RaintreeInside Raintree

Inside the Pena-Peck HouseInside the Pena-Peck House

boards at surf stationboards at surf station

Nobody in sightNobody in sight

Nature preserves and St. Augustine???

Hi!
My original plans for a January trip to Florida have had to be scrapped. Now I'm considering the possibility of St. Augustine. So far I've been able to find lots of info on places of historical interest (which is good) but none at all on any nature preserves, hiking areas, or good places for birding & general nature watching.
Also, can anyone give me a feel for how "busy-busy" the place is? I'm looking for sun, fresh air, nature & quiet.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!!
Hwesta

by springbreak105

Would you be able to stay anywhere in Florida? St. Augustine is nice for a day, but to make it your main destination will get boring fast.

West Palm Beach has beautiful water, upscale shopping areas, great restaurants and it's very peaceful.

by Hwesta

Well, that is the problem. I need to stay in an "off season" part of Florida for budget reasons. (My plans to visit the Panhandle area were derailed because of the ghastly air fares.) However, a friend might be able to borrow a relatives condo in St. Augustine for free and, if so, would be willing to drive down with me. I quite see your point but I don't have a whole lot of choice.
(Maybe I should start playing the Lottery!)
Thanks!

by seematt

Boring St. Augustine? West Palm more likely-->trip to Saks 5th avenue anyone? Close to St. Augustine is Anastasia state park, which has a long undeveloped beach...further afield is the Guana River state park (excellent for bird watching), Faver Dykes State park, Washington Oak Gardens (great!), and just down the road (hour away) is Blue Springs State Park which is awesome! St. Augustine hosts a nature and Birding festival every year so check out www.visitoldcity.com for details, and there is a really great hostel there (private rooms too) called the Pirate Haus, so if you're on a budget that'd be the place to go...

by Hwesta

Thank you for the tips!!!!!

by Neesie

Oh I'd pick St. Augustine over West Palm Beach anyday! To each their own, I guess. But you sound more like me: interested in the historical and natural.

My hubby would prefer West Palm Beach because the weather is warmer the further south you go. But he could park his but on any beach!

There is so much to do in St. Augustine; I have been there three times and never tire of it.

Have a great time.

by maryellen50

There are plenty of things to do in St Augustine. I'm going there for several days around Christmas so already found plenty to do outdoors for 3 days. If you do a search on the web you will find MANY THINGS TO DO!

by mikey202

St. augustine is a really nice place.I was just there on Saturday.The family and I went to Anastasia State Park. here is a link... http://www.floridastateparks.org/anastasia/default.cfm it is a great beach..not crowded...here a some pictures I took on Saturday... [IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/mikey202/IMG_0309.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/mikey202/IMG_0310.jpg[/IMG]

I like this beach very much...it's not real crowded,lots of different birds and things.We saw about 3 or 4 dolphins in the salt flats at high tide.

Travel Tips for Saint Augustine

See Flagler College....

by Michael_D

See Flagler College. Originally the Flagler Hotel, Flagler College is hardly the oldest structure in St Augustine but, it may be the most interesting. Built in the early 1900s of Spanish/Moorish architecture, it contains a labyrinth of courtyards , fountains and hallways which are somewhat besmirched by the existance of a recreational area and pool on its rear grounds...lending a country clubbish atmosphere to an otherwise splendid ediface. Seeing Neil Simons 'Torch Song Trilogy' followed by a rather good improvisational play put on by the Flagler College drama department...twas not planned and just happened to coincide with an impromptu trip to the area. It was surprisingly well performed.

st. augustine alligator farm

by doug48

founded in 1893 the st. augustine alligator farm is one of florida's oldest zoological attractions. in the late 1800's george reddington and felix fire started collectiing alligators they found on anastasia island and put them on display to entertain tourists. today the farm has displays of alligators, crocodiles, snakes, and other wildlife. the st. augustine alligator farm is listed on the national register of historic places. the st. augustine alligator farm is located on U.S. AIA on anastasia island about three miles from central st. augustine.

Creative Martinis

by donpaul77 about The Tini Martini Bar

The elegant bar at the Tini Martini Bar is staffed by a master martini maker who can concoct a cocktail you may never have dreamed of. While the bar itself (attached to the lovely Casablanca inn) is a pleasant place for a drink, we opted to sit outside where we could watch the horse buggies trot past against the backdrop of the river. The tiki torches and palm trees convinced us to relax and enjoy.

I can highly recommend the Tahiti Tini if you like your martinis fruity. Casual

Absolutely Amazing Raw Vegan Creations

by Augdave about The Present Moment Cafe

I'm a St. Augustine local, but I didn't know about the Present Moment Cafe until I decided to become a Vegetarian a little less than a year ago. Someone asked me, "have you tried it?" I'm sorry that I hadn't been there on their first day. It's a quaint little restaurant, with a decidedly "raw foods" feel to it. There's all kinds of art hanging on the walls, a tall bar on the west wall, and modestly decorated tables.

The water is great, with a slice of lemon and cucumber in it. And it only hints at the delights to come. Everything is vegan (no meat, fish, or dairy) and made with fresh, organic, living food. They have daily specials at the whim of the chef (always a treat), an organic juice bar and some of the best deserts in town.

I've never had the slightest complaint about the service, though it is a fairly "laid back" atmosphere; and I've yet to dine during peak times. Whether your vegan or vegetarian or even an adventurous omnivore, you can't go wrong with this lovely little restaurant.

The prices are comparable to other Raw and Vegan/Vegetarian restaurants, but those who don't regularly follow those diets may be a little surprised. On the whole, however, I wouldn't say it's much more expensive than the average restaurant in St. Augustine. My favorite dish is the Sunlight Burger, an open face walnut, sunflower and carrot zucchini burger (there might be almonds or some other kind of nut too), over a slice of tomato, dripping with a pine nut sauce, almost like cheese. It's got caramelized onions on top with salad and chips. It's just delicious, and perfect for filling you up.

I'm not much of dessert man, but I've heard raves about the Pecan Apple Cobbler, and anything with their homemade ice cream (non-dairy, of course).

Awesome Seafood!

by Azonie about Caps on the Water

Super Ambience! We found this by accident on our last day in St Augsustine and were we ever glad we did! We felt like we were stumbling onto a well hidden secret and felt privledged to have been able to be a part of it. The weather was perfect and we were seated right next to the water under a beautiful canopy of oak trees..We couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable meal or place. The Shrimp Vilano..Just a very unique and tasty dish of about six shrimp on the appetizer menu..Very yummy..I also had the Blackened catch of the day sandwich which was very good also.

Comments