Tradewinds Sandpiper Resort

amextravel.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 76% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Tradewinds Sandpiper Resort

Great Vacation

We just got back from our stay at the TradeWinds SandPiper and I have to say ......we had a great time!!!. The staff is very helpful and friendly and the grounds are highly maintained. We got upgraded to a suite overlooking the gulf with a living room, dining room, separate bedroom and full kitchen. This is great for families. The room was a bit outdated and the carpeting needs to be replaced but the room was very clean. The beach is fantastic you can walk for miles and it's very relaxing. I do recommend to purchase the value pass for us$12.00 because you get parking, cabanas on the beach and many other options included. Shopping and many restaurants are near by in case you don't want to eat at the resort. I highly recommend this resort.

overpriced, not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member ErinC76

We just returned from our honeymoon-part of which we stayed at the Tradewinds Sandpiper. I don't really think we will stay here again. While it was nice enough it does leave room for improvement. The location is good, nice beach but those were the 2 best things about it. The beds were horribly uncomfortable and we had a suite with furniture that looked like it had seen better days. Also our entry door didn't touch the threshold which made a great entrance for the huge cockroaches that paid us little visits at night. The hotel also charges you for parking, beach towels, cabanas, etc. I just felt like all that was included in the pricey rooms was just that, a room--when i read "resort" I thought that meant you get little perks like other resorts had included in the price. After i read the fine print i see there is a daily charge for these things whether you use them or not. Also the staff seemed to be in a disarray everytime I went to the front desk--maybe they are under new ownership or something!

Great people & Beach

by TripAdvisor Member Luvroosters2

I just returned from the Tradewinds Sandpiper. I was really afraid of the hotel when I walked in, as most beach hotels, this one looks a bit tired. Be sure to ask for a "suite" or upgraded room for pool/ocean views and updated linens. My room was very clean and I haven't met a more friendly staff. The Convention/Banquet/and Sales staff are WONDERFUL!! The Sandpiper only has one resturant (very casual) but the food was good. There are lots of resturants on the strip across from the hotel. This is a place to just lay on the beach or to bring your kids. Note: the pools are FULL of kids, so if you need to get away, just walk down the beach to the Tradewind Island Grand and lounge in their adult-only pool. Also, if you room faces the pool, you'll hear the kids too. I would reccommend this to anyone who is very laid back and wants a super casual atmosphere and can let the little things slide in return for great company, friendly service, a beautiful beach & landscaping.

After a poor start.....

by TripAdvisor Member smilerviv

We stayed here for 6 days in Feb 03. The stay started badly because the room we were shown to wasn't big enough to swing a cat, let alone for 2 adults & 1 child to have a relaxing holiday. The only window the room had looked out onto the open corridor which ran along in front of all the room doors, so the room was very dark.(This is reminiscent of a block of council flats - Brits will know what I'm talking about) The corridor looked out onto the top floor of a multi-story carpark. We had specifically requested a sea-view room when booking. The fridge was rusty, the cupboards, sheets and carpet dirty. The receptionist said that we had booked a standard room and this is what we had got- the hotel was full- so tough. I was devastated, we had come a long way to be so disappointed. Fortunately my husband found a very courteous and helpful manager who offered us the choice of 2 suites to upgrade to for $20 extra per night. One on the 6th floor which stank of cigarettes and one on the 2nd floor on the corner which was more what I had been expecting. Bedroom, sitting room, kitchenette, bathroom, patio doors, sea views great, only a short walk from the pool and beach, good service from the room maid. (TV not brilliant) Thank goodness we persevered. This saved our holiday. We only ate once in the hotel, because there was a better choice elsewhere. In the end we had a great holiday- there are good things - most of the staff were friendly, the access to the beach with an endless supply of fluffy towels, the cabanas, sunbeds and pedalos (for a daily fee), the pool bar with cocktails... Would we go back to this hotel? Well, only if the same type & quality of room could be guaranteed and the rude receptionist has left....and that seems very hit & miss.

Loved it

Have just come back from the best hotel we have ever stayed in on any of our (many) trips to Florida. The room was clean, huge, well equipped, overlooking the sea and pool, quiet and comfortable. After spending 14 days staying in one room in Orlando with two excitable children, the seperate sitting area and bedroom was a delight. The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful. Only slight problem was that you are unable to check in until after 4.00pm which is a long wait from leaving the first hotel. A must for anyone visiting St Petes beach - we would definetly go back here on our next trip Stateside!

Just Wonderful...do not dwell on negative comments here-

My husband, 11 year old son and I just returned from five nights at the Sandpiper. What a pleasant surprise! After reading so many negative reviews, I was a bit nervous as to what we would encounter, but the room was the Gulf Suite we had booked on Expedia and it was clean and bright and cheerful. The Staff was incredibly accommodating. There was never a dull moment ever for us...always busy with so many activities between there and the sister resort up the beach. Carmen and Lenny could not have been nicer and we would definitely recommend it to any family over the Island Grand..much quieter and not as crowded, very well maintained and located close to anything we needed.

What a pleasant experience!

by TripAdvisor Member casualthought

The past few reviews nailed it perfectly! A comfortable, slightly faded resort hotel which has slipped into a 3* berth.

We were anxious about what to expect, having read so many scathing comments about roaches, smelly dank rooms etc.

We were in standard rooms on the 6th floor facing inland & found them to be bright, clean, very comfortable & of a reasonable size.

None of the criticisms were true in our experience, although I don't think the hotel website gives an entirely accurate image either. It's possible some guests expected more luxury than they were greeted with.

Excellent reception & cafe service, although housekeeping was ropey - bed linen was left unchanged for too long & garbage bins weren't emptied on occasion. I'd go back - as long as the price was right.

A Relaxing Week

by TripAdvisor Member sandi8

We have just returned from a week long stay at the Sandpiper Resort. As many others noted in their reviews, the beach was wonderful and most of the staff was friendly. The Island Grand is a short walk down the beach and all of their amenities are available for Sandpiper guests. My children (9 and 11) enjoyed trying out all of the different pools and eating at the poolside restaurants at both hotels. Our stay was mostly pleasant and enjoyable but our main concern was that our room was very, very noisy. We had a suite that faced the parking lot on one end and opened up to the indoor pool/shuffle board court on the other side. We had early morning and late night noise from the parking lot side. The funny thing is that I did request a quiet room. One night I even had to call security because teenagers were standing in front of our door screaming and others were in the parking lot squealing tires. Our maid service was spotty; some days the room was cleaned very well and other days we didn't recieve bath mats or coffee. The front desk staff was efficient but never smiled even when we greeted them warmly, although all of the rest of the staff always said hello and were very pleasant. Overall, this is a very nice place for families and we did enjoy our stay despite the noise.

Not what i expected

Arrived here the day after hurricane Charley went passed so the beach was dirty with lots of seaweed but this could not explain the cig butts all over the beach.As for the courtyard suite we stayed in on the 6th floor don't.The room smells and by what other people were saying our room was not the only one.We also had water leaks from sink,toaster did not work niether did the safe, but to be fair when reported where quickly fixed.
Also on our day of leaving the biggest cockroach i have ever seen walked across the floor. We have been to Florida many times before and in cheaper hotels than this hotel and been a lot happier.

Sister hotel next door better...

We arrived for a five day stay..our room was a suite with a kitchen and we had lots of ants - called the front desk on this but ants remained the entire stay...The sister hotel next door was awesome - we wished it hadn't been full we would have tried to move...The pirate show was awesome so was the service at the restaurants we went to at both hotels. Outside service staff was really good.

Comments