Days Inn Sanford

Sanford-Days Inn
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

More about Sanford

sanford historic districtsanford historic district

central florida zoocentral florida zoo

Travel Tips for Sanford

Florida style ranch house in the country

by Pawtuxet

We first lived in a country house when we moved to Florida so many years ago. The homes are generally one story ranch styles houses with terrazo floors and jalousy windows. This house was on the St. John's canal and there were big snakes slithering through the weeds at the water's edge. I loved it out there amongst pines and palms, however. My children were very young... as was I... and it didn't matter how far we were from town. Just lazy sunshine every day.

Sanford makes me smile.....

by Pawtuxet

"Along Lake Monroe"

Sanford is located on Lake Monroe which was responsible for its early years as a shipping town. Goods can be moved through the region easily from this point and the St. John's River is a connector that contributes to its popularity. In today's world, it's also where the trains offload the cars which are shipped from the north for the snow birds. The old Navy base's airport has been transformed into an international airport which is little known...but if you don't mind a connecting flight, it's a whole lot easier to manage than the major city airports.
But all of that talks about the commercial success of Sanford....there are other things that make Sanford so loveable.
There is Spanish moss wafting lazily from the trees. Some streets have total arbors of it overhanging your drive through their old neighborhoods.
Lake Monroe is calming, mesmorizing and magnetic. The park which is on the main street of town (just after the business district) has been totally re-landscaped and provides an excellent spot for sunning, resting, or fishing. When I saw some of the older folks fishing there it was as if the same people had been there all those years since we first saw Sanford in the 60's. It's so much a part of Sanford.

"Some places just "do it" for you."

I liked Sanford from the first moment we drove into town back in the early 1960's. We had military orders to Sanford Naval Air Station, I was very young with my 2nd baby and we were dirt poor. We lived 3 miles from a paved road in a rented house and my husband used to kid that he had to chase me out of the trees to cook supper. I just plain loved the place from the start. Still do. I literally feel better when I enter that town. I think all of us have that experience with certain places we visit.
We lived in Sanford for about a year and then had orders to San Diego, California. Over the years I've returned to watch the decline after the Navy base closed. Later they were listed on the National Historic Register, then some Federal money came in to fix up the streetscape and on this visit I was happy to see they have turned the corner in revitalization! Artists and antique shops have come into town along with lots of interesting shops and eateries. People have restored the business blocks and there are committed preservationists restoring the houses in the residential historic district. I congratulated everyone I spoke to.
If you are an artist or a preservationist...or even a fisherman...you will enjoy Sanford. She just keeps reincarnating herself over and over and continuing to survive, blossom and grow. Let me begin to show you some of my favorite things in Sanford.....

"Can't decide between water, trees, or architecture"

I'm not sure which part of Sanford I like the best. The waterfront does sort of draw me to it....but there are so many elements I find charming, friendly and comforting about Sanford.

Comments