3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com Booking.com Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Casa Ybel Sanibel Island Resort

Wonderful Honeymoon at Casa Ybel

My husband and I just came back from our honeymoon at Casa Ybel and we had a great time! I read several negative reviews about the resort, so I was a bit worried what we'd find when we got there, but we were very happy. The rooms were just completely remodeled and beautiful. Service was great as well as the pool, restaurant, beach, and views. We'd go back in a heartbeat as well as suggest it to others.

Terrible experience at Casa Ybel

We had about 50-60 guests for our wedding staying in the Casa Ybel suites, and I received a lot of feedback in the weeks and months following the wedding. I thought that since we were bringing so much business to Casa Ybel that we would at least get decent service from the staff. Many of my friends who stayed there for the weekend have been calling me with stories of rudeness, incorrect room charges, and even one theft (a gold necklace was taken from one of the rooms). We also felt disappointed with the Thistle Lodge (the only restaurant on Casa Ybel grounds). The food proved to be just mediocre - often dryed out. Guests were disappointed that there was no room service option. The rooms looked outdated and were not adequately cleaned. Patio screens were full of holes with bugs coming in. There were bugs in my room that I had to step on and dispose of.
I have traveled to many hotels in the U.S. due to my job, and have never encountered such rudeness as I did at Casa Ybel. Once they have your deposit, the smiles disappear and the service takes a dive. The construction noise was also very irritating (they're still recovering from previous storms). Ugly orange fencing is up everywhere to contain the construction areas. It's not at all like the website pictures that they show. Needless to say....I won't be going back any time soon.

Wonderful experience at the Casa Ybel

by TripAdvisor Member da91

Just returned from 5 days at this resort. Rented a 2 BR, 2 bath with great ocean views. Back door was steps from the ocean. A heavy storm which rolled through our first night kicked up an incredible array of shells. So many that we couldn't decide to what to take home. Not large shells for the most part but beautiful and the treasure hunt was half our fun. Casa Ybel is a well manicured property. Our rooms were spotless. The beds were very comfortable. The kitchen well appointed. We had all the tools for making meals including an oven and toaster. Furniture was new and attractive. Everything is built up off the ground so our room required a flight of stairs. I would not want a top floor room as we were in and out all the time between the pool and the beach. There are enough tennis courts that we never had to wait. There are more than enough pool chairs around a large pool and a wading pool. We did not eat at the restaurant at all. You can stock up for breakfast and lunch at Jerry's at the corner of Casa Ybel and Periwinkle. Very nice grocery store with plenty of choices including roasted chickens which make perfect salads. We only ate dinners out. Rented bikes from Fennimore's on Periwinkle. Less expensive and in good condition. Don't get single speed. Even though the island is flat, you need the extra speeds so you don't have to pedal so much. The Shell Museum is lovely and the gift shop has very creative items- better than the gift stores. Darling preserve had a lot of birds and was delightful to bike through but beyond the birds and turtles we didn't see any other wildlife. We had a great time on this island. Considered it the perfect getaway. Would recommend it to anyone.

Casa Ybel - Rudist place I've ever stayed

by TripAdvisor Member robjoyOcala_Florida

I don't know if the heat was getting to everybody or not but from the reception and throughout the stay everybody (with the exception of the maid service) was rude. One example, we had a water outage one day and when I politely asked the maintenance worker about how long it would be before we had water I was told it would be fixed when it was fixed (in a very nasty tone). I could have overlooked that but when I got to our condo it had rusted appliances and the place smelled like mildew.

I've stayed in many places around the world and have almost always had great experiences. Sanibel Island was nice and we did find a nice place right down the street from the Casa Ybel with cottages along the beach that was about the same price and the people we spoke to were very friendly. Unfortunately I can't remember the name but I would search for any place other than the Casa Ybel if I go to Sanibel Island again.

Above and Beyond

by TripAdvisor Member Ocnbreez1125

I recently stayed at the Casa Ybel Resort in Sanibel, deciding to take my chances despite the many mixed reviews on TripAdvisor.

I found that while our room was a little outdated, the staff was very excited and open about the current renovation. (Although there were glimpses of workers moving about some nearby buildings, I was surprisingly undisturbed by their activities.) The General Manager herself returned my phone inquiry about the work being done and she graciously offered to give my companion and I a tour of a model room, so that we could see what kind of accommodations we would have, should we return in 2006. We were very impressed with the improvements being made and plan to return to enjoy them next year.

While our stay had a couple of small inconveniences (Red Tide and a drained pool as part of the renovation work) the staff and managment went out of their way to ensure our trip was still enjoyable. Arrangements were made for us to use the pool facilities at our choice of nearby hotels.

We ate one evening in the Thistle Lodge restaurant, and while a little costly, we had the most entertaining waiter. His knowledge of the wine was above our expectation and his recommendations supurb. He also offered to make us some of his own cocktail concoctions which were great. Because the restaurant does not serve breakfast and we did not want to venture out on the Island early the next day, we asked if any arrangements could be made for us to take somthing back to our room. Mike brought us a variety of fresh fruit and cheese in a to-go box, to enjoy the next day.

Overall, our experience was a great one and we will definatley be coming back again to enjoy the renovated rooms!

Beautiful views, awesome pool

by TripAdvisor Member jjfrenz

Our family had a wonderful vacation at Casa Ybel. My three kids spent all day at the pool (which is very clean and comfortable) and digging in the sand at the beach. My husband and I appreciated the pool side restaurant - we ordered lunch there several times and the food was great. (Especially the blackened grouper salad) The kids stopped playing just long enough to sit by the pool and eat! We stayed in a two bedroom condo and our unit was beautiful. The kitchen has gorgeous granite counters, new appliances, and was well equipped. I prepared our Thanksgiving meal and had everything I needed. Our condo was on the first floor so we had a back stairs right out to a boardwalk to the beach and pool. There was some evidence that the resort was still cleaning up after hurricane Wilma, but overall, the grounds were nicely landscaped. This resort doesn't have daily maid service (unless you pay extra) or room service; it's more like renting a beautiful beach apartment than a hotel, but it's spacious and well appointed. We've decided to make Casa Ybel our annual Thanksgiving vacation spot!

Don't make the same mistake we did....

by TripAdvisor Member mrogersrph

We stayed at Casa Ybel and it was one of the worst places I have ever stayed. According to the brochure the rooms had been recently renovated..ours was dirty, outdated and the carpet had holes. It had been recently painted. There was mildew on the chairs at the dining table and the sofa was dirty the cushions full of old food. The bed had some sort of insect in it and it bit my husband until he had welts all over his body. This continued even after the sheets had been changed. The staff at the pool and beach rentals were rude (at best) and completely uncaring of our requests or our time. When I asked to exchange towels as the staff was in the process of closing ( with clean towels in their hands) I was told I could exchange at the main office. We rented beach chairs and an umbrella and was told it would be 5 minutes and after 4 trips back to the desk and 35 minutes, they arrived with no apologies. When we had decided we had endured enough, we attempted to check out one day early and they refused to credit us the day we had reserved. I was told that if they rented the room , the would credit my account. The resort was not full and my leaving early in no way caused them to lose business...except for mine and whoever takes this review seriously. Do not stay there!

Very Relaxing after the weddings ended!

by TripAdvisor Member Lovemygirltime

We stayed at Casa Ybel during spring break with our 3 daughters ages 15,11 and 7. It was a very wonderful relaxing vacation. The 2bd condo was nice, the pool bar has great food, and the pool is large and clean. We never had to fight for chairs the way we have at other resorts. We loved the beach with its fine sand and abundance of shells.
We had a lower level 2bd condo with the back door off the screened porch. We loved the easy access to pool and beach. But the sliding door and screened door don't have an outside lock on them and there is no in room safe. The bottom level 2br have the master on the lower level and the 2 twins upstairs. The upper level 2br have both bedrooms upstairs and both bedrooms are bigger. The master has a sitting area and double sinks in the bath. But it is a lot of stairs and you have to enter from the parking lot side. We didn't have a washer and dryer and neither did our friends in the upper unit. You have to pay 10 dollars for a set of clean towels. Some units have w/d but you aren't promised one.
The biggest disappointment were the weddings. They are booked every Fri, Sat and Sunday. The receptions are staged right at the pool. A huge tent goes up right next to the pool bar. We could not enjoy quiet evenings at the beach or pool or screened in porch on those nights starting at about 5:30. The music was so loud that our youngest could not go to sleep on the pull-out couch. We felt like our vacation started on Monday. Everyone there was upset about the weddings. Everyone thought the receptions should have been held at the restaurant.
We ate one night at the restaurant and it is gorgeous inside. The food and the service could have been better.
We wish the resort had a small gift shop or a place to get coffee in the morning.
I highly recommend the restaurant Traders and Cheeburger Cheeburger. We had a wonderful fishing trip with Captain Trey Cook. He was a great teacher and wonderful with our 7 year old!

Happy to Report Back - Terrific

by TripAdvisor Member MTKPC

My husband, 7 year old daughter and I just spent 5 days at Casa Ybel and thought it was wonderful. I was concerned about construction and quality based on other reviews. However, we saw minimal construction (and never heard it) and the room renovations are complete. This place was all about the location and it was excellent. The view was as advertised; we saw dolphin from our porch almost daily.

The best things were - it is a good place to bring well-behaved children. While there were a fair amount of kids, it seemed the clientele understood that kids could be energetic and having fun without running around uncontrolled.

Details. We got bikes delivered from Billys and that was really nice. You can bike almost anywhere you want to be - the nature preserve, the Tarpon Bay adventures, grocery store (Baileys), breakfast. I can't really recommend any of the restaurants at which we ate. They were all mediocre but the food at the resort was very good, if pricey. We never ate at the touted Thistle Lodge because it was a dressier place than we wanted. But we did order out from there, and again, excellent food.

Be prepared that it takes about an hour to get hotel, even in light traffic.

They do have a kids club with crafts etc and that was nice. The only down side was that the craft sessions were very short. We signed our kid up to make shark tooth necklaces and after she made 1, in about 25 minutes, she was considered done. This meant that one of us had to stay around, reachable. It was not much of a break. Just know that you can't just leave the kid for an hour. But it was enough time to sit by the pool and enjoy a lunch together uninterrupted.

Other great things - because there are no lights allowed on the beach (turtles lay eggs in season), you can see the milky way at night.

If you are looking for a more active, natural, quiet vacation for the family, I would recommend this place in a minute. This is not frantic day at the beach, get your hair braided, reggae music, kind of place. I noted that there were few families with teenagers - probably for this reason. I would also not recommend it for romantic weekend for two unless you love kids. Just too many kids, the fitness center is not on sight, there is no spa (although you can order spa services to your room).

We will go back.

Not worth the visit

by TripAdvisor Member dholmes1972

We heard rave reviews about this place from friends, and decided that it was a destination for us. We are VERY disappointed. The staff was perhaps the worst we ever encountered, and this place definitely needs to contact a exterminator. The food was very average, and the service below average. Needless to say, we should not listen to braggarts who claim that this is the best place on earth.

sanibel weather in February

by laurieb

Can someone give me a sense pllease as to whether Presidents Week is a goof time weather wise to be coming to sanibel. we currently are planning a week at Casa Ybel but want to swim in pool (I mean kids will!)

Re: sanibel weather in February

by grandmaR

The Sunny Day Guide http://www.sunnydayguide.com/sc/weather.html says

Avg. High Avg. Low Avg. Precip

January 74.8° F 53.9° F 1.82 in
February 76.1° F 54.8° F 2.18 in

Floridians will think that is too cold to swim.

Re: sanibel weather in February

by Bemadji

It's probably a good idea to check with the property to learn whether their pool is heated before you book.

Comments