3033 W. Gulf Dr., , Florida, 33957, United States
Agoda.com

More about Waterside Inn On The Beach

A little heaven on earth

My husband and I have just stayed nine wonderful days at the Waterside Inn (April 2- 10) in the Raspberry Cottage. It was our first visit to Sanibel Island. We were only steps from the most incredible beach front that I have ever enjoyed in my life. Weather was perfect every single day, so we enjoyed amazing shelling from sunrise right through until the spectacular sunset. Star-gazing was excellent; I think we actually saw the Southern Cross!

Staff and other visitors at the Inn were very friendly, helpful and welcoming. The atmosphere is completely relaxing and casual.

The cottage was very roomy, clean, with a well-stocked kitchen and clean fresh linen delivered daily. We also appreciated the accessible and pleasant office staff, the refreshing swimming pool, and the clean laundry room.
The inn is ideally located for easy access to everything, such as grocery stores, gift shops, the Wildlife Refuge, and the Shell Museum; however, the beach location is truly outstanding.

We found the neat little book "Sanibel & Captiva- Second edition" by Julie and Mike Neal to be a wonderful reference during our stay.

We hope to visit Sanibel Island again and again and stay, of course, at the Waterside Inn every time. Sanibel Island is truly a little heaven on earth!

A less than perfect review

by TripAdvisor Member JaneEMorgan

I am somewhat surprised that there are so many rave reviews of this place. Don't get me wrong: We will be back because, on balance, it is an excellent value. But be aware that this is not a luxurious retreat.

The best thing about this "inn" is that you can get a private oceanfront cottage for a very reasonable price. You may start fantasizing about how you would decorate and outfit the place if it were your own. . . We stayed in the cottage closest to the beach. We had a wonderful view of the ocean from both the living room and bedroom. The grounds have a charming, carribean flavor with nice landscaping, and the shuffleboard area between our cottage and the sand dunes was very pretty. There are nice amenities such as grills, shuffleboard, and rental bike delivery to your door. One suggestion I would make to managment is to have a few picnic tables outside for sunset dinners.

The cottage was nice, but by no means luxurious. It was spacious overall, but the bathroom was tiny and had old unattractive brown tile on the walls. The floor in the whole cottage always felt a little dirty. The kitchen had an oven (a plus), but not a dishwasher. Interestingly, management would not furnish us with a sponge and insisted that we use the dishrag (not very effective for pans). Oh yes, the Russian housekeepers were not very friendly. They would come in to deliver towels and not even make eye contact or acknowledge our presence. There was no houskeeping service other than the towels. My biggest complaint is with the bed. The bed and bed linens were terrible. The pillows were hard, blankets itchy, and sheets -- well, definitely below 180 thread count. It seems like a small thing, but a good bed is important when you are trying to get some R&R.

We will definitely be back because it's a terrific deal and the beach is lovely. Next time, however, I'll be bringing my own linens, sponge, and house slippers.

Loved the Waterside!

this was our first trip to Sanibel, and we decided to stay at the Waterside Inn based upon the positive reviews about it. We stayed in one of the condos (B6) - extremely well-stocked, comfy and a fabulous value! The condo was lovely, and in a wonderful location - just steps away from a fabulous beach. We will be back - Sanibel is a lovely place! And, to echo most of the reviews - the resort is VERY clean.

Restaurants in Sanibel are excellent - we enjoyed McT's (yummy mud pie dessert!), Morgan's Forest, Gramma Dot's, and others. Breakfast was also great at both Amy's Over Easy Cafe and the Lighthouse Cafe. We also ventured into Captiva - had a ball at the Crow's Nest NASCRAB races (on Monday evenings), and also enjoyed our dolphin cruise at Captiva Cruises. Highly recommend Sanibel if you are looking for a relaxing, enjoyable and beautiful place to vacation!

Had the best time in the Waterside Inn

I have never seen a more heavenly place!
We arrived late and found a welcome note along with our keys.

The room in the Pineapple Cottage was clean, very big and had two large beds!
It also had a fridge, a microwave and a big balcony from which you could see the sea!

The staff was very nice and we were invited to a get together with free drinks and food to watch the sunset!

All areas were clean and we couldnt decide what to do first, jump into the pool or walk the wonderful beach!

We'd always return!

Who says there is no place like home

We have been staying at the Waterside Inn (formerly the Snook) for 26 years. We go every year the 4th of July week. Its not only reasonable in price but the accomodations are excellant. Its quiet and safe and we always have a wonderful time. I recommend it to anyone no matter what the age, there is something for everyone to do.

Wonderful Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Angry Clive Man

This was the first time we ever got a hotel based on TripAdvisor. And this was our first trip to Sanibel.

My wife and I, and our two 11-year-olds stayed in a hotel room in the Pineapple complex and we were quite pleased. The hotel is 30 seconds from a beautiful, uncrowded beach. The hotel provides free beach furniture and even beach umbrellas.

The two pools at the hotel were basically deserted every time we went swimming. Contrary to earlier reports, the pools both seemed to be nice sized.

The room we had was clean and the maid service very efficient. The room was very functional. It was not like staying at the Ritz, but at this price, that is not what we were expecting. Besides, we spent very little time in the room, with so much to do on the Island.

One minor point would be the hotel room balcony. It faced the Gulf, but it was so small that there was not room for four people and a small table.

As far as Sanibel, the only meal that was a bust was the Hungry Heron. It had no charm whatsoever, indifferent help, and the food was poor.

We loved McTs, the Island Cow, and the Lazy Flamingo.

The dolphin cruise from Captiva was nice.

I'd read that the Seashell Museum was a good destination for a rainy day. But it's pretty dull. About 45 minutes and we were out of there.

All in all, we had a great experience. I'm a little surprised that this is the top-rated hotel on the Island, but it was all that we had hoped for.

Wateside Inn

by TripAdvisor Member gabbygirl

This is the second time I have used Trip Advisor to choose a place to stay. Both times we have been very happy with our accomodations.

This was my first return visit to Sanibel in 20 years. And it was as beautiful as I remembered. We stayed at the Waterside Inn in the honeymoon cottage beside the pool. The cottage was very nice, just the right size for two of us and very clean. It had a LR, Kit, BR and Bath. We were 2 minutes from the beach and the pool was outside our front door. The people in the office were wonderful. They can furnish you with beach toys, towels, advice, etc.. We would go back here in a minute. We have stayed in luxurious hotels and terrible hotels. If you are looking for luxury, the Waterside Inn is not a luxury hotel. It is a more than above average place to stay with very nice people and you will not pay through the nose.

We visited several of the area beaches. Poor Captiva is still in much worse shape than Sanibel as far as rebuildling, however all the Captiva beaches we visited were gorgeous. We also went out on two boat cruises with Paradise Rentals which were both great.

Fanatstic!

Just returned from a four day vacation at the Waterside Inn on Sanibel Island. On arrival, the staff of the Waterside Inn was welcoming and friendly. Our accomodations were ready and waiting for us hours earlier than the 3pm check in time, which was very nice after our long drive. We rented a two bedroom/two bath condo in the Breakers section of the resort which FAR EXCEEDED our expectations. The accomadations were wonderful! Our condo was beautifully furnished, immaculately clean and fully stocked with anything and everything we could have asked for....a real home away from home! There are two pools on the property that are a bit small but lovely. The grounds are very well kept. The beach was a short walk away and LOADED with beautiful shells. The Gulf was bathtub warm and on only one afternoon, did we experience the murky waters from the draining of Lake Ockechobee. Really didnt put a damper on our trip at all.

Our family has been visiting Sanibel Island every year and we will DEFINITELY be back for a stay at the Waterside Inn next year! The best vacation we have had in years!

Waterside was wonderful!

My husband and I stayed at the Waterside Inn July 9 - 13 and had a wonderful stay. I'd been to Sanibel several times but this was my first time staying at the Waterside and my husband's first visit. We arrived during Hurricane Dennis so were very late getting to the Inn. They left keys in the mailbox for us because the office was closed. Our room was very clean, nicely furnished and had a full kitchen. The beach was within sight and there were two nice pools. Staff was very nice and even arranged for a bottle of champagne that was a gift from friends. I would definitely go back again and hope to soon. We had a wonderful lunch at Red Fish Blue Fish and really enjoyed Doc Ford's for dinner. The seafood was terrific everywhere we went. Also went to Bubble Room for lunch. Hope to go back soon and will ask for the same type room.

Homey and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member edevlin

Stayed in a gulf view efficiency unit on the second floor of the lodge. Received the August special of $99 per night. We really liked the room: large, roomy, clean, comfortable, a very large bathroom, and a great view of the Gulf from the balcony. Only two negatives: the air conditioning units located on the balcony drown out the sound of the waves; and management needs to make a rule against cleaning fish on the shell cleaning table to avoid a rotten fish stench. I will definately be returning.

Comments