Econo Lodge Silver Springs

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data

More about Silver Springs

area overviewarea overview

From the parking lotFrom the parking lot

Looking upLooking up

fishfish

Travel Tips for Silver Springs

Underwater Photography

by grandmaR

A long time ago - before DisneyWorld corrupted central Florida - there were some wonderful tourist attractions. Silver Springs was one of them. Ever since Hullam Jones put a window in a canoe in 1878, people have been marveling at what they could see in the crystal clear water there.

Phillip Morell built a glass-bottomed rowboat and sold rides above the springs. In the 1890s, commercial glass bottom boats were developed and the comfort of the glass bottom boats was improved by installing cushioned seats and canopies. In 1925 they were equipped with gasoline engines and then later with electric motors.

According to their website timeline:

"Early in the 1930s, Ross Allen, noted herpetologist, founded the Silver Springs Reptile Institute. Allen pioneered many forms of snake anti venom, including a dried variety. He also imported and supplied venoms for medical purposes and biochemical research. Colonel Tooey, a concessionaire who operated the Jungle Cruise boat ride, established the first troop of wild rhesus monkeys on an island in the Silver River. Tooey established the colony to attract visitors to his ride. He did not realize the rhesus monkeys were excellent swimmers. They quickly escaped, forming wild troops along the river."

1932-1942 Six of the original Tarzan movies, starring Johnny Weissmuller, were filmed on location at Silver Springs. Also the American Red Cross did the photographs for their life saving and WSI textbooks here.

1958-1961 More than 100 episodes of "Sea Hunt," starring Lloyd Bridges, were filmed at Silver Springs. We visited the springs in 1954 when I was 16, and rode the glass bottomed boats. We also visited again when we lived in Key West. I took some slides with my film camera. I really wanted to see the springs again and see if they lived up to my memories and maybe take some better pictures for VT. I was hoping I could get a ticket just for the glass bottomed boat trip for less than the $32 that was advertised in my AAA book.

But as we drove into the park, I was totally turned off by the $6 parking fee that would be assessed - I just wanted a boat trip, I didn't want a theme park experience or to go swimming or to do Wild Waters or anything else. So we turned around and left.

Silver Springs

by KARLPORTER56

"Grizzly Bears"

This park had a couple of Grizzly Bears..It was very fascinating watching them. I just never really knew just how huge these bears were.. I watched then for a very long time.. you could say I was mesmerized by this exhibit.. My wife and kids actually did something else while I observed the grizzlys...

I think this giraffe actually will eat right out of your hand.. amazing how gentle these animals are.. This was another nice exhibit.. not quite as mesmerizing as the Grizzlys though.

The Glass bottom tour is one of a kind.. You can see all the underwater life as well as the springs..The water is very clear.I think the series Sea Hunt was filmed here as well as some old Johnny Weismuller Tarzan Movies years ago. This is still a fascinating park.. I also remember a rather dramatic alligator feeding demo here in this park

Silver Springs

by Katmosphere

Silver Springs is a town near Ocala and the Ocala National Forest. It is well known in these parts for its spring water. I was expecting to see springs shooting up from the ground, but they are under the water in a lagoon, and you can only see them from a glass bottom boat...

There are other rides besides the glass bottom boat, I also went on the Lost River ride and the Jeep ride. The River was my favorite. At one point the boat stops at this little place where they care for sick and injured birds. This is one of them.
You will see a lot of wildlife in the form of alligators, birds and turtles.
I learned that the old Tarzand movies were filmed here, as well as Creature from the Black Lagoon, among others.

Comments