18683 Collins Ave., Sunny Isles, FL, 33160, USA
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 65% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Le Meridien Sunny Isles Beach

Worst Experience at hotel in my life......

1. The hotel IS NOT in South Beach. There is nothing around it. No car...your stuck in a residential area with nothing to do.
2. MOST employees went out of the way to be rude and unhelpful.
3. Breakfast cost us $50 for 2 people and took us 3 hours to get.
4. Dinner was better, but the food was not worth the price.
5. No pool to speak of...it was crowded with 3 people in it.
6. Unorganized. We asked 3 times for our meal vouchers (for breakfast and dinner) and they never appeared. Now I am having to argue with the hotel and credit card company to have the charges removed.
5. Rooms were beautiful!

Moral of the story, your money is better spent elsewhere than this supposed 4 star hotel. DONT BOTHER!!!!

Robbed in every way at Le Meridan

The hotel staff is rude and the valet stole the CD out of the cd player in our car! When we reported the incident the staff treated us like we were lying. It was a horrible experience. I do not recommend this place.

Very disappointed very expensive

by TripAdvisor Member JONBAX

We stayed for Christmas and New Year, the rack rate was very high but my excellent travel agent obtained a very good rate. If I had paid the rack rate I would have been extremely annoyed. The room was nice but the restaurant was average. The Pool was tiny and could only accomodate about 25 sun beds. The valet was rude and the restaurant staff was useless It took over an hour to get breakfast. Facilities were dissapointing - We would not stay there again.

Is this the same hotel used on their website?

by TripAdvisor Member joellebo

Just so you know, we are a family of 4 with 2 boys aged 6 and 10 and we stayed at the hotel for one night (which was enough!).

I must have looked at every hotel in Miami before booking this one. With a great rating and a fabulous website showing the most wonderful hip new hotel, we were seduced.

That is where the dream ended.

The moment we entered the hotel, I knew it wasn't what it seemed. It was nice enough but still just another chain hotel trying too hard to be something it wasn't. We had stayed at the Sagamore on Miami beach the night before, and for the same rate, the Sagamore was poles apart and so perfect (see my Sagamore review and stay there instead!).

The staff were rude, the pics on their website are misleading showing this wonderful beach with pristine white and wicker sun loungers, whereas there are only 4 of these loungers to accommodate over 1000 guests!

The pool is crowded if you put your toes in. It is too hectic to try and supervise your own children whilst they swim as all you can see is a pool of tiny heads and splashing.

The beach is gorgeous but for some reason they put the sunbeds on top of each other and crowd you in and from 3pm the lounger is in the shade due to the shadow of the skyscraping Meridien hotel.

Once in your suite you feel trapped. We were on the 22nd floor and to get to the pool took at least 10 minutes. Also, to get to the beach or pool in beachwear, you have to walk through the underground car park, which isn't nice, especially with excited kids and crazy valet guys!

The two stars are for the suite itself which was spotless and far nicer and larger than expected.

Make sure you go to the hotel prepared. Go to Publix (opposite and along a little) before check-in to get some groceries as once the horrid valet monsters have your car, you wont want the hassle of waiting 20 mins for them to return it to you...believe me!

Other gripes were that our door on the 22nd floor balcony would not close. With two kids, this was unacceptable. We called housekeeping but all they said was that we would not get robbed so high up! They did not move us, instead we blocked the offending door with all the furniture we could put in front of it. The sofa bed was not ready either but they came within the hour to do it.

The guy at the pool bar was the rudest man ever and tossed his head at me when I asked for a cocktail saying he was far too busy and could I have wine instead and then he added 15% tip automatically for the privilidge of being rude!

I wanted to like this hotel. I didn't. The staff were rude, we got yelled at for walking through the restaurant (whilst trying to get our bearings) in t-shirt and shorts and that gorgeous patio area that they show on the website with the nice furniture was all piled up in a heap like they were waiting on a hurricaine.

We did eat at Bice and it was delicious yet expensive and the staff there were the worst in Miami (apart from a very sweet Croatian waiter who should go work somewhere nicer as he was not like the others!).

Okay, review over. If you have booked to stay here already, then do some research on good small restaraunts nearby and don't eat at Bice. Go to Publix before arriving to get in supplies and check the door locks before unpacking. If you follow these steps your stay should be far better than ours as the suites are gorgeous!

Oh, and if you haven't booked up and have kids, go stay at the Sagamore on Miami beach, that place is just perfect!

Thank goodness the room was great, because the service was dreadful!

by TripAdvisor Member CircleCityJanet

My husband and I stayed here the last week of March on Spring Break with our 6-year-old son.

On a positive note, our room was quite nice and seemed relatively new. The "condo-like" set up was perfect for traveling with a young child (kitchen, washer/dryer, sofabed in living area).

And, I agree completely with other reviews about the facility: Having to walk through the parking garage to get pool/beach access was odd. The pool was small with very little seating. The beach set-up was somewhat intimidating and unfortunately the building blocked the sunshine on the beach after 2:30 p.m.

But the biggest issue we had was with the absolutely abhorrent customer service. From the front desk to the concierge to the pool bar to the restaurant to room service...it was just awful.

Here are just a few examples of the challenges we had: the sofabed was not made up, and we had to call for that to be done. We had to call the room service FOUR times over a day and a half, just to get a room service menu delivered to us. Getting beverage service at the pool/beach area was challenging...we had one waitress keep about $16 dollars in change, thinking that was her tip (a large gratuity is automatically added to the bill, but she must have thought we really liked her or something). The fancy flat-screen TV stopped working in the living area and we had to call and have someone come and fix it. Room service took 45 minutes to deliver toast and coffee one morning. When we checked out, we were charged valet parking charges for multiple days when we had not even parked a car with them. And a few days later, our bank card was charged another $28 for mini-bar items which we had not even used, so I had to spend time calling them to straighten it out and getting a credit issued to our account.

But the worst situation of all, our son got swimmer's ear and we had to make a visit to an Urgent Care facility. The concierge recommended a facility that he told us was "just 10 minutes away." Of course his copy machine was not working, so he couldn't give us an information sheet or map to take with us, so we had no clue where we were going. In actuality, it took us 35 minutes by taxi and then when we were finished (in the middle of nowhere), we couldn't find another taxi to take us back to the hotel! When we called the hotel, they reluctantly said they would call for a taxi to come and get us, but it never arrived. Thank goodness for a nice nurse at the Urgent Care facility who was willing to find a taxi to take us back to the hotel.

If they don't work out their massive customer service issues, this place is going to end up out of business. For the rates, they have to do much, much better. It's a true shame.

We would not return.

Not up to Starwood standards—this place needs some help.

by TripAdvisor Member Mainescape

Our family (kids 8 and 10) just returned from Le Meridien having stayed for five nights. We’re typically easy going vacationers, willing to roll with minor inconveniences (no bedding on the pull out) and annoyances (dead batteries in the TV remote) for the sake of reducing stress—the reason we go on vacation in the first place. We spent considerable time researching the “right” hotel for our family—plenty of space in the room, nice beach, proximity to restaurants, all at a decent rate. For a one-bedroom, beachfront hotel at an average of just under $300/night, I thought I was on to something.

This hotel is very attractive—it’s only a couple of years old. The rooms were relatively spacious and featured all of the amenities promised on the hotel’s web site. The bed was extremely comfortable and the kids appreciated the queen-sized pull out. After a long day on the beach, it was the kind of room that you look forward to returning to. (That is, as long as you had remembered to call housekeeping first thing in the morning and requested they make up the room. Unlike most hotels, where this is the expected norm, at Le Meridien you have to ask that the beds be made-up and towels replaced each day. Kind of odd.)

My biggest gripe about this hotel was the incessant need to tip for virtually everything. As you can’t self-park your car, you’re beholden to the hotel valet staff. A crack team of car-parkers, they expected a couple of bucks to fetch the car, and another dollar or two to return it. (This on top of the $25 daily parking fee.) It usually didn’t take more than five or ten minutes for the car to appear, but it struck us an unnecessary hassle. If you’re going to insist that we use the valet, have enough people on staff so that I don’t have to wait—otherwise, I’ll park it myself, thanks.

Tipping the valets, however, paled in comparison to the tips being thrown on the beach to the team of cabana boys. Here, once again, I would have been more than happy to grab a couple of towels and plop down on a chair, but Le Meridien wanted to take care of that for us, too. I’ve never seen a harder working crew of people making so many people so miserable at one time. Dutifully we arrived at the beach at 8:30 each morning and waited to be seated. Despite our early arrival, we were never escorted to the front row of chairs facing the ocean. They were “reserved,” we were told, by people who never seemed to make it down to the beach before 11:00. Lesson learned: If you want front row seating, start with a $20 bill—a $5 spot will land you three rows back.

Last, but not least, a word on the hotel staff. I’ve read about the abhorrent service in other reviews of this hotel, and while happily I don’t have a horror story to share, it was the rare member of the hotel’s executive staff who did anything to make us feel at all welcome. No one on the “front line” offered a “good morning” or would hold a door open (unless, of course, you had a few singles wadded up in your hand) or did anything to try and connect with us in creating a positive impression. It was, as though, these were very busy people, doing an extremely important job, and that somehow I was an interruption of their work. My apologies folks. Trust me, it won’t happen again.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member nicholeh1978

I stayed at Le Meridien for one week starting on April 13th. It was a wonderful experience. I wasnt going to post a review but after reading all the dreadful things people were saying I had to share my experience.

First, the hotel is not in South Beach nor do they say they are. They are located about a 5 minute drive from the Aventure mall, which by the way has great shopping. It is about a 20-30 minute ride to South Beach depending on traffic and route. However, getting to south beach is not a hassle as cabs are readily available and the longest I had to wait for one was 10 minutes. You can rent a car but they do charge 25.00 valet parking. Self parking is not an option.

Upon arriving my first impression of the hotel was great. The building is beautiful. The valet gentlemen were more than willing to help you as soon as you pulled to the front of the building. The bellman were a bit busy that day so I did have to wait a few minutes once I was in my room for my luggage but that was understandable. I dont think I waited more than 10 minutes once I arrived in my room. The girls at the front desk were great. They reviewed my reservation with me, confirming my information and asked if there was anything else I needed at that time.

The room was great! Beautifully appointed one bedroom condo like units. Great for travelling with a family. There are two bathrooms in each unit, one in the bedroom as well as one off the entrance. The view was breath taking. We had an oceanview room. Granted it was not an "ocean front" room, the view from the balcony was just as gorgeous.

Many other reviews complain about the pool. The pool is not huge but why would you want to spend the day by the pool when you have a beautiful beach right there????? The beach staff were helpful and a delight to deal with.

We did not eat in BiCE but we did order room service. We ordered for breakfast and it was delivered in the time promised (which was less than 30 minutes). The runner was joyful when she delivered our breakfast.

Above all my experience was that of a delightful one. There were a few minor and I do mean minor inconviences but the good definitely outweighed the bad. I would visit Le Meridien again on a future visit to South Florida.

It Was Just O.K.

by TripAdvisor Member mbrebnor

This hotel is not one of my favorites. The staff will try to give you the impression that they really care, but truly they don't--And you can tell! The hotel's appearance is really nice. The rooms are nice, but customer service is lacking. I didn't feel like it was a warm caring atmosphere unless you were tipping everybody. The pool is small; the Jacuzzi is small and luke-warm. You have to wait too long to get a chair on the beach, and then everyone is packed in like sardines. My sister and I truly did not feel welcome here, and could not wait to leave. The only reason why I gave this hotel 3 star rating is because of the nice rooms. Other than that, I would rather stay at a cheaper hotel with great customer service.

Excellent hotel but Problems with the service

by TripAdvisor Member lasvegasvisitor

The hotel is excellent. We really liked the one bedroom suite with fully furnished kitchen, heavenly beds and the balcony which opens up to the ocean.

But we had several service issues. We reached the hotel at 1:30pm. The check in time was 3pm so we waited. But even at 3pm the room was not ready. They easily told us the same, which was very frustrating. Then once the room was ready, they took another 15 minutes to get it inspected. We couldn't get the room until 4 pm. They apologised with a cold "Sorry" and a water bottle.

Several times in the elevators we could smell the smoke. The pool is very small, but I liked the fact that it was heated.

The SPA is great. But what is amazing is thet they automatically charge you a gratuity. I thought you give tip if you like the service.

Small Room, Hidden Fees, High Taxes

by TripAdvisor Member crazytt8

I used Starwood Points to stay here. Although when I had a problem and asked for startwood service points they had no idea what this was. So they are 'semi' associated with Starwood? It was okay. I used some points and payed some money. Check to see what type room you are getting. Some folks get suites..and others get the bedroom that is 'connected' to a suite. So we had to microwave, fridge, or iron, ironing board. Basically, a bed, bathroom and view. The room was very very clean though. And the toiletries were very nice as well. My boyfriend was very exicted when we went to the comfort inn (in jupiter) the next night and he exclaimed "now this is a hotel room". :-) So the view was great and the pool was very nice, with lounge chairs some shaded some not, kind of romantic. Overall I don't think I'd waste points and cash on this room again. I'd prob stay somewhere else. We had to pay $25 bucks to Valet, and then the taxes and fees are atleast andother 20 bucks, which is very high. So our $60 room turned into a 120 room, with 2 drinks and all that.

Oh wait..I almost forgot...I'm not too sure about the swimming area. We were in the water and next thing I know someone is yelling 'get out of the water' and I look and the water is empty and everyone is on shore, foks are yelling that there is a shark in the water. After my boyfriend and I get out we help yell down the beach (one guy is yelling to everyone, are there lifeguards?) Anyways I saw the fin! It was so close..yikes. Turned out it was a Turpin? Not sure if I spelled that.That's what the folks said. Not sure. But this thing was very large and shark like..which makes me believe the netting in this area isn't all that good. I sure would NOT go back in that water!

Comments