Ramada Limited University Centre

More about Tallahassee

My Sara (in green) boards her busMy Sara (in green) boards her bus

February BloomFebruary Bloom

Our VT meeting group at Chez PierreOur VT meeting group at Chez Pierre

Want to swim here!!!!Want to swim here!!!!

AM I AN IDIOT ???

by gbueny

I WANT TO DRIVE MY MOTORCYCLE FROM CALIFORNIA TO FLORIDA IN JANUARY, IS THIS A BAD IDEA??? ANY SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS ARE APPREICIATED

THANKS,

ED IN CALIFORNIA

Re: AM I AN IDIOT ???

by Maryimelda

I really couldn't tell you if you are an idiot or not for wanting to ride your motorcycle from California to Florida in January, what I'd really like to know is why you feel the need to ask the question 9 times?

Re: AM I AN IDIOT ???

by yvr

Sounds like it would be a fun trip. I would go I5 south to Los Angeles and take I10 east,the farther south you are the less likely for snow.

Travel Tips for Tallahassee

MISSION SAN LUIS

by Antji

MISSION SAN LUIS -
I am very interesting in the history of the american indians. If you wanna know more about the history of indians in Florida you have to go there. Here you can see Site of Spanish / Indian village settled from 1656-1704. Ongoing excavations, exhibits, reconstructions. You can make special tours and living history interpreters every saturday. It´s free.
Location: 2020 W.Mision Rd. 487-3711
More Info: www.flheritage.com
Classification: Museums , Photography

First Presbyterian Church, our oldest building

by pchamlis

The oldest public building still standing in Tallahassee presently houses the First Presbyterian Church. Located at the corner of Adams and Park Avenues, this lovely old sanctuary was begun in 1835 and finished three years later. The historic marker for the building, located one block west of the structure in the center of Tallahassee, denotes that the structure was often used as a place of refuge for women and children during the pre-Civil War "Indian Wars". It's also noted that the church building contains its original slave seating galleries. Remember, this church was built in the pre-war south, at a time that many wealthy landowners and farmers were owners of slaves. These galleries were special places in which the slaves could sit during services.

This is another example of my personal conflict with organized religion. I think all of us would agree that people 150 years ago were probably, on the whole, more "religious" than most of us are now. Definitely more than me. :) And yet, here are these fine God-fearing people building a structure, the house of God...and including a special section for slaves.

Go figure that out.

But, I'm just making an overall observation about my personal "issue" with what I see as so many conflicts in religious practice and actuality. The times of slavery are long gone, consigned to their sad corner of history.

Get your morning coffee downtown at...

by pchamlis about Goodies Eatery

I've gotten to where I spend a decent amount of time in downtown Tallahassee. My new job is one that I can do via the internet, so I often take my laptop into Tallahassee after dropping my daughter off at school, and I work at our local library...or in the park across from the library. They have a very strong and free WiFi signal.

Anyway, I need some coffee in the morning, so I decided to share a couple of local places to get a good cup of "joe" before you begin working in downtown Tallahassee.

The first is Goodies Eatery, on East College avenue. This is a nice local joint featuring coffee, muffins, breakfast sandwiches and such. They also do lunch, although I've never partaken. One of the best features of Goodies, according to others who work downtown, is that they deliver. Now, I suspect they wouldn't bring me a cup of coffee over at the library. But if you're having a little office lunch get-together, I think Goodies is a good choice to bring you sandwiches and chips. :) Well, all I've ever had is the coffee....and a breakfast sandwich once. BTW, what do we southerners consider a breakfast sandwich? A buttermilk biscuit, home-baked of course, with a fried egg, cheese and some peppery bacon. That's good on-the-go breakfast food in Tallahassee.

One other plus for Goodies is that they ALWAYs have a hot pot of Kona coffee, one of my favorites.

A couple of lunch examples, from the menu...

"Gobble Gobble", a turkey sandwich on whole wheat with lettuce, tomato, sprouts and veggie spread, $495

"Zebra Cheese Veggie", crispy lettuce, tomato, cucumber, broccoli, peppers, provolone and cheddar cheeses on pumpernickel/rye bread, topped with veggie spread.

The Knott House

by karenincalifornia

Many stately old Antebellum mansions line the streets in downtown Tallahassee. Pictured here is the Knott House, which is a Florida Heritage Landmark.

The house was built in 1843 as a wedding gift for Catherine Gamble, wife of attorney Thomas Hagner. During the Civil War the house was used as temporary Union Headquarters. On May 20, 1865, the Emancipation Proclamation was read from the front steps proclaiming freedom for all slaves in the Florida Panhandle.

The house was acquired by William Knott, former Florida State Treasurer and his wife, Luella in 1928. Luella was a huge temperance advocate and due to her efforts, the sale of alcohol was banned in Tallahassee for 50 years.

In case the previous paragraph has you worried, Tallahassee is no longer dry and you can now buy alcohol in town. I checked that out at a Tallahassee Publix supermarket.

Comments