Amerisuites Busch Gardens Hotel Tampa

Good For No Data

More about Tampa

ALONG BAYSHORE BLVD., TAMPAALONG BAYSHORE BLVD., TAMPA

Gandy Bridge, St. PeteGandy Bridge, St. Pete

indian rocks beachindian rocks beach

Bird!Bird!

Wanting Info

by SouthernGul2006

I am a single mother of a 9 yr old son living in Ga. I am hoping to move to the tampa area but I was wondering about the area near Hyde Park. With my son possibly going to Gorrie Elementary. I have relatives down there that lives in the Clair-Mel City area. I just want to know more about the areas. I hear that South Tampa has some flooding problems. I don't need that. lol. Is there a lot of entertainment for us. Is Channelside a fun place to be. I am moving from a small town and want a little more opportunities and excitement. What about the jobs and affordable housing near Gorrie because I want to live as close as the school as possible. Please! let me know which area is better for us. I want to live near family but i also want to be in the best area. Please! help. I visited Tampa only once and I really enjoyed it but I still have to get used to things. Any info will help.

Thanks so much!!

SouthernGul2006

RE: Wanting Info

by sarahjayn

My mom taught at Gorrie for years and years. It is an excellent school with loads of special opprotunities that other schools might not have. They have a strong, well-funded P.T.A. and S.I.T. Your child will be well taken care of by the adults there. There are some class issues, as Gorrie is flooded with affluent families, but all in all I think its one of the best elementary schools in Tampa. (I went there for K - 3rd grade and my brother and sister went their for part of their grammar school, too.)
That said, South Tampa isn't really the place for affordable housing. There are some apartments, but if you were looking to buy a house on a budget, I'd say look elsewhere. If you're really interested, I know a very nice man who is a landlord in South Tampa. He rents houses. sarahjayn1980(at)yahoo.com

RE: RE: Wanting Info

by sarahjayn

This might also help you:

RE: Wanting Info

by ecutrainer

HydePark is a nice part of town. You will find young adults and a large gay population living there and not a whole lot of children. South Tampa is also a nice part of town leaning a lot more towards families. Both So.Tampa and Hyde Park (SoHo) flood a lot during hurricane season .... so you have to bite the bullet if you want to live there ... make sure you find a friend in a non-flooding area so you have a place to go everytime you get an avacuation warning (we had to evacuate 4x in 2004). Good luck!

Travel Tips for Tampa

I said gecko not GEICO!

by Ewingjr98

Geckos in the Tampa area include the Indo-Pacific Gecko and the Mediterranean Gecko. These little creatures, typically ranging in size from one to five inches are everywhere. On the sidewalk, on walls, on fences, on people, being chased by cats. Yes, the cats love to harass geckos, but geckos are typically too fast and leery for the cats. Though our cat did chase a big one into the house and around the house for an hour before we finally caught it and released it.

On a few other occasions, we had a gecko camped out on our windshield wipers as we drove down the road. He held on for dear life, but survived the journey.

Fun stuff in Tampa!

Tampa Bay Bucs at Raymond James Stadium

by Ewingjr98

Raymond James Stadium was completed in 1998 and is home to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, University of South Florida Bulls, and the New Year’s Day Outback Bowl. It is located north of downtown just across the street from Yankee's Legends Field. The stadium was built at a cost of $170 million and it seats 66,000.

I attended the Bucs game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2010. This was almost a home game for the Steelers with a huge crowd in Black and Gold, waving Terrible Towels. The Steelers manhandled the Bucs, winning 38-13, while rushing for over 200 yards. Charlie Batch looked like a Hall of Famer in this game, throwing for three touchdowns in his first start in three years.

After the game we happened upon the area where the Steelers walk out to their buses, and we got to see Charlie Batch, Troy Polamalu, Chris Kemoeatu, Mike Wallace and others.

Most people when they come to...

by kb16

Most people when they come to 'Tampa Bay' are either going to the beach or to Ybor City. But they miss Lettuce Lake, a really beautiful natural area with a long boardwalk on the Hillsborough River the brings you up close and personal with Florida wildlife. Great place to see birds and gators. Bring a picnic and spend the day. Rent a canoe and get up close and personal with the wildlife. Big grassy area for picnicing and playing ball, play area for kids, lots of picnic areas with BBQ pits near the grassy area or the boardwalk.

Canoe the Hillsbrougho River

by tampa_shawn

Canoe Escape offers six different self-guided, day-trip combinations along the Hillsborough River through a diverse ecosystem. Can also kayak (which is my favorite)

Self-Guided Rentals

Solo kayak
Trips 1, 2, or 3: $42
Trips 4 or 5: $47
Trip 6: $52

Shuttle service only for canoe/kayak owners
Shuttle service for Trips 1 through 6 is $25 per boat.

If you are a member of the Central Florida Paddlemasters, you will save $5 on your shuttle. Please show us your member card.

Lots of options in Channelside

by tampa_shawn about Channelside

Channel side is a great date destination in Tampa or night out destination.

The area has a wide range of restaurants, a bowling alley (Splitsville), movie theater (it even has a 3 D Imax) , shops and bars.

My favorite place to go it Howl at the moon which is a dueling-piano singalong place

I normally go at night but it is open during the day. Channelside is also next door to the Florida Aquarium and the St Pete Times Forum (sporting events and concerts) and there is a very inexpensive trolley that will take you to Ybor....so if you are making a day or night out of it park in the Channelside garage and do all three...

I've included several links below that offer the current events and restaurants (the seem to change pretty often Anything goes in Florida but I normally wear a sundress to channelside when its warm. that way I'm a bit dressed up but am still comfortable.

Ladies this location requires walking so I would not wear high heals

Comments